HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tverdovsky Signs With Russian Team

Old
08-08-2007, 06:02 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't understand why some of you people are cheering. He would not have counted against the cap, anyways, since he would've been in Manchester. Also, he's not a bad guy, and cheering that his NHL career is going down the tubes just seems rather disrespectful to me. I think that we can discuss the positives for the Kings while paying due respect to Oleg in the process.
There are a couple other issues:
1. While Tverdovsky wouldn't count against the cap being in Manchester... in Manchester he'd take playing time away from the younger players who could develop and might have a future with the team.

2. Every organization has a certain number of contracts they can have. Getting rid of Tverdovsky's contract gives us another one to work with, either now or in the near future.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
There are a couple other issues:
1. While Tverdovsky wouldn't count against the cap being in Manchester... in Manchester he'd take playing time away from the younger players who could develop and might have a future with the team.

2. Every organization has a certain number of contracts they can have. Getting rid of Tverdovsky's contract gives us another one to work with, either now or in the near future.
Not to mention the $2.5M in real dollars that the organization saves by not having him around.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
If you look at it the other way, he is breaking his contract with the Kings to go play for another team in Russia because he doesn't want to be a part of an organization that is not playing him on their highest level. Why should we respect that he can't cut it in the big leagues?
That's some twisted reasoning. If he were another player, perhaps, but this organization never wanted him and is not upset or "mad" that he's made this choice. I assure you that Lombardi is wishing him the best of luck, not cheering and high-fiving his peers as some here are doing.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
That's some twisted reasoning. If he were another player, perhaps, but this organization never wanted him and is not upset or "mad" that he's made this choice. I assure you that Lombardi is wishing him the best of luck, not cheering and high-fiving his peers as some here are doing.
Meh, I think most of the people here look at it from the business side. Most of us don't have personal relationships with this guys. So when it comes to something that can be perceived as something good happening for the organization then we recognize it as that and not take it personal. I'm sure all of us wish him well, they just prefer to cheer the organization rather than the player.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 02:57 AM
Randart

I know he once was a Duck but I always liked Oleg and thought he had vast potential
as a top flight D-man. And when we picked him up in trade I was hoping
he could revitalize his career here for a few years... It just did not work for him on
the big club but at Manchester he was top flight and really helped the coaches an
that team make a nice run last season! I bet if you asked JLB about OT he would
say the same! Good Luck to you Oleg glad you were here to help out even if mostly
on the Monarchs... I am sure he still has a skill level that will translate well to the
REL (Russian Elite League).

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
I know he once was a Duck but I always liked Oleg and thought he had vast potential
as a top flight D-man. And when we picked him up in trade I was hoping
he could revitalize his career here for a few years... It just did not work for him on
the big club but at Manchester he was top flight and really helped the coaches an
that team make a nice run last season! I bet if you asked JLB about OT he would
say the same! Good Luck to you Oleg glad you were here to help out even if mostly
on the Monarchs... I am sure he still has a skill level that will translate well to the
REL (Russian Elite League).
It is actually called the Russian Super League if I am not mistaken. I too wish Oleg all the best in Russia. To me he is always what the Jets got for Selanne, so I could never really like him. But he seemed like an alright guy. In any case, this is really the best move for both Tverdovsky and the Kings organization. By going back to Russia he can probably make close to, or even as much as he is making with the Kings, be at home, and get to be one of the best players on the team. Whereas the Kings get the cap relief and the financial relief by eliminating him from the roster.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13 View Post
By going back to Russia he can probably make close to, or even as much as he is making with the Kings,
Most likely, more than in LA

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Later Oleg, thanks for JMFJ.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
VADEN

question... if russia signs the transfer agreement before the season starts and before we can assign him to manchester, does that screw everything up?

VADEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I've always liked Oleg, too bad he never really worked out for us.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
question... if russia signs the transfer agreement before the season starts and before we can assign him to manchester, does that screw everything up?
I do not think it will matter since he is already signed with the Russian club. Even if it does the Kings have an extra 10% until the season starts, and the Kings could just assign him to Manchester right away anyways. Not to mention that the Kings would not be over the cap even if he was on the team. And lastly, there is no way in hell the Russians simply give in now, they are in too deep. Barring a miracle this is the way the transfer agreement will stay for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den
Most likely, more than in LA
If Tverdovsky that good over there that they can afford to pay him more than 2.5 million a year with a 10 million dollar cap? Thats 25% of the budget right there.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13 View Post
If Tverdovsky that good over there that they can afford to pay him more than 2.5 million a year with a 10 million dollar cap? Thats 25% of the budget right there.
Well, whatever he is paid in Russia is more than 2.5 minus taxes. Russia overpays most players now, especially with the NHL experience - that's the only way to attract some NA-based talent.

There will be no TA in the forseeable future since now it's clear that no TA is probably more to Russia's benefit than loss. Especially since the loophole has been taken care of.

Old
08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Den

He says in todays interview that he was not particularly enamoured with Crawford's swearing, and once answered back. According to him that was more or less the end of it.

Old
08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Metallian*

Best wishes to Oleg and his family

May he have better years back in the RSL!

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
He says in todays interview that he was not particularly enamoured with Crawford's swearing, and once answered back. According to him that was more or less the end of it.
What was it the "end" of... the end of Oleg's time with the Kings or the end of Crawford's swearing? Thanks.

Either way, my respect for Crawford has taken a hit and my respect for Tverdovsky has gone up. Good for Oleg.

Old
08-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Den

Quote:
What was it the "end" of... the end of Oleg's time with the Kings or the end of Crawford's swearing? Thanks.

Either way, my respect for Crawford has taken a hit and my respect for Tverdovsky has gone up. Good for Oleg.
According to T, Crawford hasn't taken any hit. He went straight to the GM with this and told him he does not need a player like that on the team. Tverdovsky was called to Lombardi, where he declared that he is not gonna work with Crow either and requested a Manchester assignement himself.

Old
08-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
According to T, Crawford hasn't taken any hit. He went straight to the GM with this and told him he does not need a player like that on the team. Tverdovsky was called to Lombardi, where he declared that he is not gonna work with Crow either and requested a Manchester assignement himself.
Thanks. That's what I suspected that you meant. It's also very interesting to get the real story now. I always suspected that Crawford had something against Tverdovsky and wanted him gone. I really hope that this "effect" that Marc has doesn't spread to other players.

Old
08-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
I really hope that this "effect" that Marc has doesn't spread to other players.
I wouldn't complain that much if it spread to Cloutier, Willsie and Modry ... but heck that's just me

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote