HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
08-10-2007, 02:24 AM
CioCio

vCash: 500
I still have my ticket from the Flyers' November 5th, 2005 game against the Thrashers. I believe you lost At the time I had a great girlfriend whom I was visiting and I wanted so badly to see a Flyers game. I agree that you have a beautiful city and I enjoyed very much every one of my trips there. Aside from losing my RAZR on a train and of course never seeing it again, the experience was great. I never did try a real Philly cheesesteak, though. Oh, and the store A.K.A. Music on N. 2nd St. is one of the best cd stores I've ever been to!

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Stayed at the General Laffyette B&B/Brewery a couple of summers ago and it was very enjoyable. Great room in an old house with a garden in which we were the only guests. The brewery was the second best of my eastern trip, (Portsmith's Smuttynose Brewing gets the nod). Wife was happy, I was happy. Nice.
Guz,

If you come back let me know so I can point you to some good brewpubs.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
BURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
That's cool man, this is hardcore has a really stellar lineup. I wish i could go...

but...

This area really isn't that bad (starlight ballroom). I wouldn't sleep in your car in the immediate area around there though. Northern Liberties is to the north east which is a decent area, i wouldn't venture too far north-west or dead north. South of the ballroom is center city which is fine.

Sleeping in your car might prove to be a tricky ordeal... If you really have no other options i would recommend looking at parking your car somewhere in the old city/eastern center city area which is basically from 5th street over to the delaware river. Another option might be to find somehwere in university city which is west of the Schuylkill and south of market street (Drexel / Penn Campus) When i walk to my next class i'll see if i notice any suitable areas to do something like this at... but this IS a city and sleeping in your car probably isn't a great idea.

One more option, is to look on pahardcore.com or centerfuse and try to find a place to stay with someone else in the area. As far as i know there are usually people doing this sort of thing for these fests.

Tenting is going to be near impossible without driving at least 30 minutes out of the city. If you do the tent thing you should search for a campground outside of the city. I would recommend this option. Whenever i want to make a short vacation i choose camping over a hotel, it usually runs 30 bucks for a site and split that amongst your party is an economical route to take.

If you have any more questions i'd be pleased to answer
Awesome ! Thanks a lot !

I think we'll probably go the tent route cause sleeping 4 guys in a car wouldn't be really comfortable. We'll stop at the first campsite we see and go from there.

Thanks again !

BURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Guz,

If you come back let me know so I can point you to some good brewpubs.
Nodding Head... gotta love Nodding Head.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
phlocky

Man, please don't sleep in your car anywhere near the city, you're just asking to get jacked even in a decent area. Pony up the $30 and find a motel 6 or something. You might need to drive 20 mins to get to the outskirts but seriously, even if there's a 95% chance nothing would happen, just don't take the risk just to save a few bucks, it's really not worth it.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 11:06 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURY View Post
Awesome ! Thanks a lot !

I think we'll probably go the tent route cause sleeping 4 guys in a car wouldn't be really comfortable. We'll stop at the first campsite we see and go from there.

Thanks again !
Good call. Much better option.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 01:14 PM
pelts35.com

Where is there any campsite in the Philadelphia area?

Old
08-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Where is there any campsite in the Philadelphia area?
in philadelphia... prolly not. just outside and over in jersey i'm sure you could find one.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 01:49 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
in philadelphia... prolly not. just outside and over in jersey i'm sure you could find one.
I'm talking about outside. I live in the burbs and I can't think of anywhere within a 30-mile driving radius where you can camp.

My advice is to find a cheap hotel and split it among the 4 of you. Even if you stay at a $100 hotel, between 4 of you it will only be $25 each.

Old
08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
BURY

Quote:
I'm talking about outside. I live in the burbs and I can't think of anywhere within a 30-mile driving radius where you can camp.

My advice is to find a cheap hotel and split it among the 4 of you. Even if you stay at a $100 hotel, between 4 of you it will only be $25 each.
I guess we're just really on a tight budget. A campground would be ideal, I'm sure we can find something within a 30 mile radius. For example, in Ottawa, I can think of more than 20 campsites that are less than an hour away from the downtown core driving. Maybe I'm optimistic?

BURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 07:07 PM
rayearth

Here's a map of PA campgrounds.
http://www.pacamping.com/map_search.htm

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 07:53 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Here's a map of PA campgrounds.
http://www.pacamping.com/map_search.htm
So, according to that map, the closest campground to CC is Coatesville (roughly 40 minutes away with no traffic)?

You can find a Motel 6 type hotel within 15 minutes of CC for less than $75. Split it amongst yourselves instead of hiking out to Chester County to camp out.

Old
08-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Shane

I came to Philly for the crack.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

For camping I'd suggest Atsion Lake in Shamong, NJ. Its about 30 miles from Philly. Probably the closest place to Philly to camp in the Pine Barrens.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 01:21 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by La 1919 View Post
For camping I'd suggest Atsion Lake in Shamong, NJ. Its about 30 miles from Philly. Probably the closest place to Philly to camp in the Pine Barrens.

Yeah, just watch out for 'The New Jersey Devil' .....or...Tony Soprano.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:53 AM
rayearth

Quote:
So, according to that map, the closest campground to CC is Coatesville (roughly 40 minutes away with no traffic)?
You'd think there would be something a bit closer. Maybe on the Jersey side. These should be within 10 miles.
http://njgin.state.nj.us/OIT_TravelG....3522219653505

Old
08-11-2007, 08:44 PM
flyersfan97

Another question, about how far is the Franklin Institute from the historic section? We may want to go see the King Tut exhibit. As always, thanks in advance.

Old
08-11-2007, 10:35 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Another question, about how far is the Franklin Institute from the historic section? We may want to go see the King Tut exhibit. As always, thanks in advance.
Pretty much too far to walk unless you don't mind a bit of a hike. Looks like you can take the PHLASH.
http://www.gophila.com/C/Things_to_D...lash/1303.html

BTW, here's a really nice map of center city plus a little bit.
http://www.gophila.com/Go/TravelTools/centercitymap.pdf

Just old city.
http://www.gophila.com/Go/TravelTool...storic_Map.pdf

And SEPTA.
http://www.septa.org/maps/click_map.html

Old
08-11-2007, 11:36 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Pretty much too far to walk unless you don't mind a bit of a hike. Looks like you can take the PHLASH.
http://www.gophila.com/C/Things_to_D...lash/1303.html

BTW, here's a really nice map of center city plus a little bit.
http://www.gophila.com/Go/TravelTools/centercitymap.pdf

Just old city.
http://www.gophila.com/Go/TravelTool...storic_Map.pdf

And SEPTA.
http://www.septa.org/maps/click_map.html
Thanks, I actually figured out the map that was originally listed after I posted this question. How safe is 'SEPTA' in that area? I'm going to check out the PHLASH link as well.

One more thing, for now at least. One of the things we definitely want to do is that 'Duck Tours' thing. Does anyone know if it's really necessary to advance order tickets? We are reluctant to do so just in case something happens and we can't go on that day, but will purchase them in advance if you guys think it's necessary.

Again, thanks a ton.

EDIT: I'm loving the PHLASH. In fact, I'm going to send the link you provided to my friend.

Old
08-12-2007, 10:11 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Thanks, I actually figured out the map that was originally listed after I posted this question. How safe is 'SEPTA' in that area? I'm going to check out the PHLASH link as well.

One more thing, for now at least. One of the things we definitely want to do is that 'Duck Tours' thing. Does anyone know if it's really necessary to advance order tickets? We are reluctant to do so just in case something happens and we can't go on that day, but will purchase them in advance if you guys think it's necessary.

Again, thanks a ton.

EDIT: I'm loving the PHLASH. In fact, I'm going to send the link you provided to my friend.
For SEPTA anything in center city should be fine and the Broad St line to the stadiums. I guess SEPTA in general should be fine anywhere. I've done the Ducks before and it is a lot of fun. It'll give you a good quick tour of old city and Penn's Landing. I'm trying to remember but I think we had to get the tickets a few hours in advance. I guess check in early and see what times they have available.

Last edited by rayearth: 08-12-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old
08-18-2007, 05:46 AM
flyersfan97

Thank you all so much for all the info you provided me--especially 'Let's Go Flyers 75' and 'rayearth.' We had a VERY successful, albeit hot, trip to the City of Brotherly Love yesterday. We did the Duck Rides, which we loved and then basically walked around the Old City. The line to the Liberty Bell wasn't bad so we were able to see that and take some pictures. Again, thanks a ton and as always, you guys are the best!!!

Old
08-18-2007, 11:41 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Thank you all so much for all the info you provided me--especially 'Let's Go Flyers 75' and 'rayearth.' We had a VERY successful, albeit hot, trip to the City of Brotherly Love yesterday. We did the Duck Rides, which we loved and then basically walked around the Old City. The line to the Liberty Bell wasn't bad so we were able to see that and take some pictures. Again, thanks a ton and as always, you guys are the best!!!
Thanks, it's a fun city to walk around. Yeah, I was going to mention that I've never really had to wait a long time to see the Liberty Bell and I think there's some neat stuff in there to read. Did you get to Independence Hall?

Old
08-18-2007, 12:29 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Thanks, it's a fun city to walk around. Yeah, I was going to mention that I've never really had to wait a long time to see the Liberty Bell and I think there's some neat stuff in there to read. Did you get to Independence Hall?
We didn't read the stuff by the Liberty Bell-we basically just cut in front of a bunch of people, threw the girls in front of the Bell and took a ton of picture. You know how us (almost) New Yorkers are.

We didn't get into Independence Hall. There were no tickets by the time we got there, and the line was ridiculously long at 5:00pm for the "Open House." Next time we go, we are going to pre-order the tickets.

Again, thanks for everything. We really did have a great time.

Old
08-18-2007, 01:07 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anything else you discovered that we could add to the guide?

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2007, 04:18 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers75 View Post
Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anything else you discovered that we could add to the guide?
In all honesty, your guide was perfect. We would never have known about the Duck Rides if it weren't for you. The only thing I would recommend is advance ordering tickets for Independence Hall.