HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

RUMOUR: Sens hot after Kolzig

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 09:39 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
hot hot hot !

Old
03-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Other Dave

I don't think that the Caps were as hot to move Kolzig and Witt as the rumors implied. Both players are the exact kind of people you want on your team to keep a young and inexperienced squad together through a rough season.

Other Dave

Old
03-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
I don't think that the Caps were as hot to move Kolzig and Witt as the rumors implied. Both players are the exact kind of people you want on your team to keep a young and inexperienced squad together through a rough season.
Exactly. The team had payroll flexibility to keep them or trade them. Interest was there for Kolzig, and rampant for Witt, but the offers were not very high, and the Caps felt that if they traded one or both, they needed to get younger quality versions of those players in return. That type of offer was not forthcoming, so the pair of them are still Caps. The team liked Grier, who was a leader and affordable. Yet a potential scoring line center prospect was offered up in Jakub Klepis, a deal too good to pass up. That was the kind of can't-turn-down return that it would have taken for Kolzig and/or Witt to be moved.

This summer, if a team loses in the playoffs due to goaltending, or an aging goaltender breaks down due to wear and tear (Belfour?) then Kolzig's case might be revisited. Should he play out his career as a Cap, however, then neither the player, the Caps nor the team's fans will begrudge that turn of events. He is popular, he is in his prime, the budget now allows for his salary comfortably, and a young team could benefit from a vet between the pipes.

Witt sounded very positive yesterday to be here, though of course there is a danger that he might walk as a UFA, should the age be reduced as a part of CBA re-negotiations down the line. Will be interesting to see what he decides to do in future.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Witt sounded very positive yesterday to be here, though of course there is a danger that he might walk as a UFA, should the age be reduced as a part of CBA re-negotiations down the line. Will be interesting to see what he decides to do in future.
Unless the new CBA is in place by mid June which is very unlikely, Witt will only be a RFA and the potential age change doens't enter the equation.

Old
03-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Unless the new CBA is in place by mid June which is very unlikely, Witt will only be a RFA and the potential age change doens't enter the equation.
I know. Perhaps I was imprecise. He is a lock as a Capital for next season, whether that is a partial season or what have you. I mean after the qualifying offer he will be tendered this summer, it will be interesting to see what he will do once he eventually receives his UFA rights. By "down the line," I was referring to his mid- to long-term future with the club, not merely next season. My apologies if that was unclear.

Old
03-10-2004, 11:23 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
not exactly.

1. if witt accepts the caps qualifying offer and signs a one year contract and there is not hockey next year. he will be a ufa regardless by the next actual hockey season.

2. if witt does not accept the qualifying offer and remains unsigned after the expiration of the current cba, the new cba rules will likely make him unrestricted.

Closed Thread