HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be the backup goaltender?

View Poll Results: backup goalie?
Steve Valiquette 70 66.67%
Al Montoya 16 15.24%
Robert Esche 2 1.90%
Alex Auld 1 0.95%
Ed Belfour 1 0.95%
Cujo 2 1.90%
Sean Burke 2 1.90%
Mike Dunham 1 0.95%
Vally for regular season, trade for vet at deadline 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Who will be the backup goaltender?

Who do you THINK WILL be Lundqvist's backup come opening night?

Will it be the unknown, yet safe choice in Valiquette, the highly touted Montoya, an old geezer who still thinks he can be a starter, or a younger option in Esche / Auld, but whose consistency/price might be an issue?

I'm simply listing all of the free agent possibilities remaining, so don't turn this into a rumor bashing thread.

The last option in this poll makes the most sense to me. Ride Vally for the regular season, call-up Montoya if need be, and test the market at the deadline for a more reliable backup for the playoff run.

edit: woops, a mod might want to change poll close date to 10-03-07, but no biggie the thread will probably be buried by then.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Smashley

vCash: 500
I think its Montoya, atleast thats what I gathered from THN, check out the chart on the bottom of pg 16.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Onion Boy

My bet is somebody we pick up on waivers right before the season starts.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
I think its Montoya, atleast thats what I gathered from THN, check out the chart on the bottom of pg 16.
We don't have cap space for him.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The question the team needs to ask itself is who can save the season if Lundqvist goes down for any stretch of games? Backing up Lundqvist is one thing but if Lundqvist misses any amount of time due to injury who is the starter?

The answer isn't Valiquette (who imo is perfect to start 1 game every 3 weeks to a month) but it might be Montoya..At this point with the "goin for it" philosphy I can see either Burke or Auld being signed and if that happens maybe just to me sends a message about how the Rangers feel about Montoya......

What's interesting to me is it's almost impossible to gauge how much the Rangers like Montoya. He could be seen as insurance for an injury or as expendable because Lundqvist is the goalie of the present and future...

For the record I voted Valiquette because I don't see the Rangers doing anything to the roster until the season is underway...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:48 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
For the record I voted Valiquette because I don't see the Rangers doing anything to the roster until the season is underway...
Ditto and I agree on all points. Valiquette is hardly a "safe" choice. I have my doubts about him being a capable NHL goalie, let a lone a backup for a team that has Cup aspirations.

You could be onto something when talking about how the Rangers feel about Montoya. A team that has lofty aspirations cannot afford to entrust games to Valiquette for any length of time. If a vet backup is not signed, then it could be that the strategy is to have Henke start a Broduer-like amount of games and in case of emergency, break glass and take out Montoya.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Ditto and I agree on all points. Valiquette is hardly a "safe" choice.
Safe meaning price wise and being a great locker room guy. He's not reliable to win games by any stretch..

Old
08-12-2007, 12:13 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Safe meaning price wise and being a great locker room guy. He's not reliable to win games by any stretch..
I think Valley is as good right now as any of those other Back ups on the open market(not including Monty). Can a Belfour or Cujo actually accept playing 17 games in a year? I dont think so. I think Valliquette will be a team guy and be happy with 17 games, the other guys I dont believe any of them will accept only 17 games.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:19 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Valiquette has proven he isn't horrible..that's pretty much all you can ask from your backup goalie. He basically won the game for them against St. Louis last year (granted it wasn't exactly the Penguins or Sabres we were playing, but nevertheless he was excellent). However, if he gets off to a bad start (and I want to see him play a few games early in the season so Henrik is somewhat fresh for the end of the season), I definitely think they will make a trade for some veteran or sign someone in the mold of Joseph or Belfour or somebody like that.

EDIT: I hope Dunham's name mentioned on here is some kind of cruel joke by the way, lol

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I think Valley is as good right now as any of those other Back ups on the open market(not including Monty). Can a Belfour or Cujo actually accept playing 17 games in a year? I dont think so. I think Valliquette will be a team guy and be happy with 17 games, the other guys I dont believe any of them will accept only 17 games.

But what if it's more the 17 games? What if the load on Lundqvist starts to wear on him in January and you need the backup to spell Lundqvist more in the second half then the first half? Is Valiquette the answer?

or worse

What if Lundqvist gets injured and misses a month? Can you really trust your teams playoffs hopes on Steve Valiquette?

I'm sick of hearing about the 1 game Valiquette started against St. Louis....It was ONE game not 10...A game that Valiquette gave up probably the two sofest goals of the last season.

The answer right now has to be Montoya as the guy the Rangers would turn too if Lundqvist needs a break or needs a fill in for more then a few games... Again I feel if a vet is signed the Rangers have no confidence in Montoya as an NHL goalie right now..

This isn't as simple as who is the backup...The real question is who is the STARTER if Lundqvist goes down? It can't be Valiquette...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:37 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
But what if it's more the 17 games? What if the load on Lundqvist starts to wear on him in January and you need the backup to spell Lundqvist more in the second half then the first half? Is Valiquette the answer?

or worse

What if Lundqvist gets injured and misses a month? Can you really trust your teams playoffs hopes on Steve Valiquette?

I'm sick of hearing about the 1 game Valiquette started against St. Louis....It was ONE game not 10...A game that Valiquette gave up probably the two sofest goals of the last season.

The answer right now has to be Montoya as the guy the Rangers would turn too if Lundqvist needs a break or needs a fill in for more then a few games... Again I feel if a vet is signed the Rangers have no confidence in Montoya as an NHL goalie right now..

This isn't as simple as who is the backup...The real question is who is the STARTER if Lundqvist goes down? It can't be Valiquette...
Last year proved that Hank if healthy can play 65 games. If Hank goes down, Monty is the Starter. Valley is capable of playing 17 games and keeping us in the game.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 01:16 AM
BklyNYR4Life

great idea...lets NOT hypothesize about lundqvist getting injured

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 01:56 AM
illmatic

I'm hoping it's anyone BUT Valiquette...

I'm with TB, SOS, and everyone else who has doubts that Valiquette is even a capable NHL goalie, let alone a backup on a team with Cup aspirations...

with Valiquette, if there's a clear shot at the net, it's almost always going in...the Blues game was a perfect example- some people are already starting with the revisionist "he won the St. Louis game" history, but we were blocking a ton of shots that day (we led the NHL in blocked shots per game last season), and the soft goals he let in were stoppable by any average NHL backup...also, in the Montreal game where Lundqvist was pulled, we actually kept coming back, but each time we scored Valiquette would then let in a horrible goal and kill the momentum every time...I just can't think of one game where he looked good...and just look at how much "faith" the Rangers coaches had in Valiquette by giving Henrik that insane workload down the stretch...

we can't go into next season with Valiquette as our backup...I can't see him handling even 17 games...Lundqvist will have to take on a Brodeur-type workload, and if Henrik suffers any type of serious injury, with Valiquette, the season is immediately over...

I'm just hoping that if Montoya isn't the backup, it's only for hockey-related reasons, and not short-sighted "don't want to pay him (or a vet backup) an NHL salary so we'll go with Valiquette" reasons

illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post

I'm with TB, SOS, and everyone else who has doubts that Valiquette is even a capable NHL goalie, let alone a backup on a team with Cup aspirations...

with Valiquette, if there's a clear shot at the net, it's almost always going in...the Blues game was a perfect example- some people are already starting with the revisionist "he won the St. Louis game" history, but we were blocking a ton of shots that day (we led the NHL in blocked shots per game last season), and the soft goals he let in were stoppable by any average NHL backup...also, in the Montreal game where Lundqvist was pulled, we actually kept coming back, but each time we scored Valiquette would then let in a horrible goal and kill the momentum every time...I just can't think of one game where he looked good...and just look at how much "faith" the Rangers coaches had in Valiquette by giving Henrik that insane workload down the stretch...

we can't go into next season with Valiquette as our backup...I can't see him handling even 17 games...Lundqvist will have to take on a Brodeur-type workload, and if Henrik suffers any type of serious injury, with Valiquette, the season is immediately over...

I'm just hoping that if Montoya isn't the backup, it's only for hockey-related reasons, and not short-sighted "don't want to pay him (or a vet backup) an NHL salary so we'll go with Valiquette" reasons

Couldn't of said it better myself, all though I still can't vote in these things... my money would be for Montoya.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 02:42 AM
escape280

the best option for the rags for the price..which would be cheap is belfour...guy played great for an average panthers club...he can still play at a high level...a veteran guy for a veteran team...is is hungry for a cup...he is skilled enough to play every so often...and still be sharp

escape280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Ola

I got some hopes on Valiquette. At his age, goalies normally are entering their prime. If you study Valley's game closer its obvious that his big problem is agility, in all other aspects he is pretty solid, actually solid enough to play in the NHL and maybe challenge the worst starters.

Last season Valleys big disadvantage was his size, the tempo is so high in the NHL that a goalie must be pretty darn agile. Though I don't think Valley is that far behind, if he only can pick up his game a notch, so that he can stay with the flow better, his size will be a huge advantage.

My point is, that with some "fortune" and allot of work with Allaiere, Steven Valiquette could turn into a nice backup here in NY. I don't think thats a reach. He is a pretty good goalie.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Pogo

Hey dudes, I got your answer right here. Just woke up, had a dream about the next Rangers backup goalie pickup. It was Danny Blackburn. He even had a glove on his hand and was looking reallllll good.

Ok fine, I didn't say it made any sense, my dreams are always ****ed up and usually alcohol interlaced soooo, take it for what its worth.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
great idea...lets NOT hypothesize about lundqvist getting injured
back·up
–noun
a person, plan, device, etc., kept in reserve to serve as a substitute, if needed.

Old
08-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Benji Frank

I know Weekes has been an expensive back up the last couple of years, but with his contract over & the likelyhood of him getting starters money anywhere pretty much nil, would the Rangers consider giving him maybe 6 or 700K for a season or two til they know what the farmhands are capable of? I thought him and Lundqvist mixed well together??

Failing that, i don't think you can put a rookie behind Lundqvist. It'd need to be a journeyman back-up or an older starter winding down his career who'd know exactly where they stand on the depth chart and be prepared to practice accordingly....

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 09:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank View Post
I know Weekes has been an expensive back up the last couple of years, but with his contract over & the likelyhood of him getting starters money anywhere pretty much nil, would the Rangers consider giving him maybe 6 or 700K for a season or two til they know what the farmhands are capable of? I thought him and Lundqvist mixed well together??

Failing that, i don't think you can put a rookie behind Lundqvist. It'd need to be a journeyman back-up or an older starter winding down his career who'd know exactly where they stand on the depth chart and be prepared to practice accordingly....
Weekes signed with the Devils.

08-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Weekes signed with the Devils.
So he did!!

My bad! :O

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 10:14 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Vally, just because it helps out the salary cap situation greatly.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 10:16 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post

I agree with all of that, but its not the short sightedness, we literally do not have the money under the cap to pay Montoya's nearly 2 million contract. It's would put us to within under a million of the cap, and we need more wiggle room than that for the season.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
back·up
–noun
a person, plan, device, etc., kept in reserve to serve as a substitute, if needed.
thanks, I'm well aware of wha backup means and what the role is, I just wish the conversation didn't revolve around "well what if hank goes down for a prolonged period of time?" its morbid and unnecessary

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:57 PM
illmatic

n/m...double post

illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote