HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The official Toni Rajala thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2007, 08:57 AM
  #51
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
hahaha that sounds like a scam if I've ever heard one
Well the camera part maybe, but I'll be going to watch at least couple of matches for sure. I'm getting bored of SM-Liiga, but junior games are interesting with top end talents and being cheap/free.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
  #52
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
You don't have a camera? You should look into one.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
  #53
hockeyisdbest
 
hockeyisdbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
17 posts a day Finnerican? Do you have a job?

hockeyisdbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 10:33 AM
  #54
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
umm... 17 posts a day is really nothing compared to others. Yes I do have a job.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
  #55
edd1e
Registered User
 
edd1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisdbest View Post
17 posts a day Finnerican? Do you have a job?
How does that concern you? Do you have a job? are you married? how about kids?

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:12 PM
  #56
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
How does that concern you? Do you have a job? are you married? how about kids?
Hahaha. Thanks

Sisu Suomi

@ who ever said they needed a camera

Are you sure you can't get a camera from a freind or something when you go to games?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:24 PM
  #57
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,433
vCash: 50
I have a quick question on Rajala and Pulkkinen; which current NHLers would you compare them to?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:28 PM
  #58
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
Hahaha. Thanks

Sisu Suomi

@ who ever said they needed a camera

Are you sure you can't get a camera from a freind or something when you go to games?
I have "camera", which is digi"toy"camera which can record 30mins or so. And don't have too much friends with video cameras either. But we'll see how it will be in couple of months, since games should be starting next month or so(real games that's).

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
  #59
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Rajala- Sidney Crosby with a Pat Kane ability to puck handle (I HAVE TO PUT THIS HERE BECAUSE I'LL GET CRAP FROM PEOPLE- MY DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING RAJALA IS AS TALENTED AS CROSBY. I AM ONLY STATING THAT THEIR PLAY STYLE AND THE WAY THEY CONTROL THE GAME HAS UNCANNY RESEMBLANCE)

Pulkkinen- I really can't say right now. Possibly someone like Lecavalier or someone. Somebody who puts up good amounts of both points and has a good skill setting. Pulkkinen is a good goalscorer. He's not a sniper though. Possibly a Russian-esque goalscorer. Someone who's fancy. But I honestly have no idea for Pulkkinen. (SAME DISCLAIMER AS ABOVE)

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
  #60
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,433
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
Rajala- Sidney Crosby with a Pat Kane ability to puck handle (I HAVE TO PUT THIS HERE BECAUSE I'LL GET CRAP FROM PEOPLE- MY DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING RAJALA IS AS TALENTED AS CROSBY. I AM ONLY STATING THAT THEIR PLAY STYLE AND THE WAY THEY CONTROL THE GAME HAS UNCANNY RESEMBLANCE)

Pulkkinen- I really can't say right now. Possibly someone like Lecavalier or someone. Somebody who puts up good amounts of both points and has a good skill setting. Pulkkinen is a good goalscorer. He's not a sniper though. Possibly a Russian-esque goalscorer. Someone who's fancy. But I honestly have no idea for Pulkkinen. (SAME DISCLAIMER AS ABOVE)
So both are franchise calibre players?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
  #61
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
I have "camera", which is digi"toy"camera which can record 30mins or so. And don't have too much friends with video cameras either. But we'll see how it will be in couple of months, since games should be starting next month or so(real games that's).
How old are you? If you have a job start puting away money for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-DV4500-...767212&sr=1-15

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
  #62
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
So both are franchise calibre players?
Too early to tell but both may very well become. Rajala should get his after the Hlinka Memorial Tournament.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:46 PM
  #63
slade
Registered User
 
slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 18 Winspear Ltd.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
Rajala- Sidney Crosby with a Pat Kane ability to puck handle (I HAVE TO PUT THIS HERE BECAUSE I'LL GET CRAP FROM PEOPLE- MY DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING RAJALA IS AS TALENTED AS CROSBY. I AM ONLY STATING THAT THEIR PLAY STYLE AND THE WAY THEY CONTROL THE GAME HAS UNCANNY RESEMBLANCE)

Pulkkinen- I really can't say right now. Possibly someone like Lecavalier or someone. Somebody who puts up good amounts of both points and has a good skill setting. Pulkkinen is a good goalscorer. He's not a sniper though. Possibly a Russian-esque goalscorer. Someone who's fancy. But I honestly have no idea for Pulkkinen. (SAME DISCLAIMER AS ABOVE)
where have you seen him play? he sounds pretty frickin amazing

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
  #64
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
where have you seen him play? he sounds pretty frickin amazing
I don't mean to sound like a stalker here, just looking to give a quick reply because anywhere Fin has spoken of these players, I've pretty much done so as well...

He's seen them both a few times, most recently he videoed them, or at least Rajala on video, but yes these two are shaping up to be two dynamic players, and if all goes accordingly, they will gain much notoriety. More so Rajala since his draft year (09) is approaching sooner than Pulkkinen (10).

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 01:00 PM
  #65
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Thanks WJH

Recently I aquired 2 full games of Toni Rajala on VHS. I have no means of changing them over to something I can upload. I'll post more when I get back... I'll devise a whole scouting report style thing with Pros and Cons.. etc.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 02:17 PM
  #66
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Alright.. here we go


Recently I saw 2 games of Toni Rajala on VHS that some how my uncle had gotten for me.

Name: Rajala, Toni
Position: Left Wing
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 160 Lbs
Current Team: Ilves Tampere Junior-A team (I think he may even play a few games on Ilves Tampere SM-Liiga team this year too)

Pros:
  • Great Speed- Ability to control any game. The tournament game I saw he scored the first goal in :53 seconds on a Defensive Zone to Offensive Zone break away where he mutilated defenders
  • Supreme Puckhandling- He's got a way to make the puck stick to his stick. He's able to read the ice while maintaining a strong grip on the puck. This helps him create more plays than other people.
  • Great Shot- Since Rajala has no problem keeping the puck, he is able to avidly veiw the net for open spots and he's got a great shot. The first goal in the tournament game was a beauty. Skills like this is what people look for in the new NHL.
  • Mature Game- Playing many age levels above his shows a great level of maturity. This is the strongest comparison to Sidney Crosby. He plays like a veteran and he's a gem of a playmaker. He's got a great head. In the same tournament game with his 53 second goal, Rajala continued to set up 2 amazing goals. One of the passes was through traffic.
  • Early Age Spotlight- May be a curse or a gift, but scouts are now able to track his developement because his name got out there at such an early age. Alot of scouts are liking his package that he brings, with alot of great offensive tools.

Cons:
  • Still Developing Defensive Game- While Rajala is great with the puck and in the offensive zone, Rajala is still developing his defensive skills. While he does have a few assets, he still struggles a bit in his own zone. When he does get the puck in the D-Zone he does get it out.
  • 'Daigle-itus'- A sickening disease that overhypes players in the minor level. The major issue with Rajala is he is just coming into his competitive zone. Making Team Finland at the U18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament is great, so is making Ilves Junior-A, but until he plays games in those he's still just a junior-phenom. But I've got a good feeling he will continue because he possesses skills that will easily transfer team-to-team. I put this in Con because he hasn't shown anything on the big-arena yet, which is understanable because he's only 16 and he's only just begun to play with 20 year olds . But he will dominate at the Junor-A level and possibly make his SM-Liiga team this year.
  • Being Finnish- SM-Liiga is not the NHL (tell us something we don't know Finnerican!!). That may be a make-it or break-it point for him. Many stars like Joensuu, have done well in Finland but struggled in the NHL. But the path that Rajala is on right now is a positive one. In my opinion he will be a superstar in the NHL.

Future: Definately a NHL first liner, Franchise tag will be slapped on him soon enough. This kid is the real deal. Time and developement are on his side. Watch out in 2009 for Toni Rajala. He'll be a star. Mark my words.

Any more questions just ask me

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 03:01 PM
  #67
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
How old are you? If you have a job start puting away money for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-DV4500-...767212&sr=1-15
It's not about money nor age, just not too much use for camera(same goes for most of my pals). I'm one of those who are only buying just what needs to go by, nothing extra. At least not too often.

But if I won't get camera footage at least I'll get good description, I hope. Since it's getting anyway sooner and sooner to draft age and he will be playing against 2-3 older guys maybe as well.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 03:14 PM
  #68
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
(I think he may even play a few games on Ilves Tampere SM-Liiga team this year too)
That's not likely, Ilves have ok team and he is just 16y and just debuted in couple of games last year. It will be good enough challenge to play against 2-4 years older players this season. Surely if there will be huge developing and many injuries anything is possible, but not likely.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
  #69
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
It's not about money nor age, just not too much use for camera(same goes for most of my pals). I'm one of those who are only buying just what needs to go by, nothing extra. At least not too often.

But if I won't get camera footage at least I'll get good description, I hope. Since it's getting anyway sooner and sooner to draft age and he will be playing against 2-3 older guys maybe as well.
There's alot you can do with a camera! Like... shoot video?

Just kidding. I dunno.. parents dont have one?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 02:10 PM
  #70
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
That's not likely, Ilves have ok team and he is just 16y and just debuted in couple of games last year. It will be good enough challenge to play against 2-4 years older players this season. Surely if there will be huge developing and many injuries anything is possible, but not likely.
I agree. But the pace he's on... SM-Liiga B last season and played a few games of SM-Liiga A. This season? SM-Liiga A maybe a few games in SM-Liiga Senior? Victor Hedman has already played a couple games on his SEL team. I think that Rajala could definately put together a good run and maybe play a few games next season in Ilves Senior. I definately think he'll be in the SM-Liiga next year.

But of course you're right. There's many 'unseeable' factors that play into this. Injury is one. I just hope that they don't do it.

Eric Haula should play SM-Liiga Senior next year too.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
  #71
Phenomenon
Registered User
 
Phenomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
I don't think that we shall see Rajala in any Finnish league games this year. He is not ready for that physically and it would be too big a risk.

I heard that Rajala had a some kind of a fight in a Ilves A juniors practise game against HIFK. The opponent was no 27. Did anyone witness this event and could give some additional info about what are Rajala's capabilities in this area of the game?

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 08:51 PM
  #72
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
you're right... Maybe SM-Liiga games aren't in store this season. Rajala's small... I couldn't see him getting into a fight... I'd like to see if he did and how well he did if he did.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 10:49 AM
  #73
edd1e
Registered User
 
edd1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
you're right... Maybe SM-Liiga games aren't in store this season. Rajala's small... I couldn't see him getting into a fight... I'd like to see if he did and how well he did if he did.
Are you sure he's 5'10, cause i remember him being a 5'8 a year ago..

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 01:08 PM
  #74
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Are you sure he's 5'10, cause i remember him being a 5'8 a year ago..
When I was 15-16 I grew 4 inches........... He's still growing.. he's not full grown...

I hope he's 5'11" by draft day That's perfect height for his skill setting and things like that.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 01:19 PM
  #75
PuckheadMcGillycuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
When I was 15-16 I grew 4 inches........... He's still growing.. he's not full grown...

I hope he's 5'11" by draft day That's perfect height for his skill setting and things like that.
"Skill set" not "Skill setting"

PuckheadMcGillycuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.