HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Downie= Sick

Old
08-10-2007, 09:36 AM
tuckerdomi

vCash: 500
Steve Downie= Sick

I watched Downie play several times when he was with the Petes. This kid is awsome, tough as nails and can put up big numbers. You guys have great prospects, your team will be scary very soon.

tuckerdomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
thanks?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 11:23 AM
flyer_fury

pretty sure we already knew that but it's nice to hear it again

flyer_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 11:28 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi View Post
I watched Downie play several times when he was with the Petes. This kid is awsome, tough as nails and can put up big numbers. You guys have great prospects, your team will be scary very soon.
We like what we hear about this kid, but still the concerns about his skating and maturity seem to holding him back a bit. I've often heard him described as another Avery or Tucker, sound about right?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 01:27 PM

I hate the term 'sick'. He's perfectly bloody healthy.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 04:48 PM
TehBBA

The fact that it came from a guy with the user name "tuckerdomi" makes me want him traded for anything we can get, now.

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 05:12 PM
ugiswrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newham View Post
I hate the term 'sick'. He's perfectly bloody healthy.
Sounds like he might be a hemophiliac...

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Shane

That's too bad, I hope he gets better.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:05 PM
fighterflea1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi View Post
I'm a Flyers fan playing devil's advocate here. Why do you see Downie as a great prospect, that is, someone now worth being seen as better than the bottom of the first round pick that he was in 2005? I don't see him as a sure thing by any stretch and most people in Philly see him as a 3d line player without an upside to play on a scoring line to put up "big numbers." Are we missing something apparent to those who have seen him quite a lot?

And who are those prospects that you think will make the team "scary"? If you use the term prospect literally, there is probably no one who will see major minutes at the beginning of the season and injuries will determine whether that changes during the coming season. The Flyers have some young players with NHL experience like Coburn, Upshall, Lupul, Kukkonen that give rise to some optimism on an improved season. We're happy with our prospects but most realistic fans don't project the best prospects (Downie, Giroux, and Parent to say nothing of college-bound Van Riemsdyk) having much of a role this coming season.

fighterflea1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
lancer247

outside of jvr who i haven't seen much of but will give the beneift of the doubt to i think nodl is our best forward prospect from what i've seen , heard & read...i think people want to see downey because of the reputation he has

i am most looking forward to seeing nodl & parent

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 11:55 PM
SENATORS 12

I follow the Kitchener Rangers where Downie finished his season. He is an impact player who has gotten many multi point nights sometimes winning the games on his own. I know the OHL is very different from the NHL but Downie will have an impact on the flyers within 3-5 years. He plays on the edge and is very competitive and will contribute as much as he can and leaves it all on the ice. He plays an in you face game getting under the skin of the opposition which is why he's so valuable. His downfall is his maturity but once he overcomes that he will be a dangerous player.

SENATORS 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 12:57 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i'm hoping he's in the avery/fleury mold of little guys who can play and piss everyone off. but, as previously stated, each of those guys have had maturity issues. let's hope downie is more level-headed.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i'm hoping he's in the avery/fleury mold of little guys who can play and piss everyone off. but, as previously stated, each of those guys have had maturity issues. let's hope downie is more level-headed.
He's not. And I'm okay with that. These types of players will always cross the line. As long as he plays solid hockey and does his job 99% of the time, I'm willing to overlook some of the antics that come along with players of that nature.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote