HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NHL - Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games Set

Old
08-10-2007, 02:24 PM
bit82

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bit82
NHL - Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games Set

I have a question about this item because Warner is releasing a Penguins dvd set in November. I was wondering how this dvd set is. I would like to watch that Primeau 5 ot game again haha eventhough I didn't like the outcome. Btw, what telecast did they use for that game on the dvd? Please let me know what you thought about this dvd set. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

bit82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Jester

ESPN is the telecast (only one airing that game i believe... maybe CBC was).

It's a pretty good package... not a lot of frills, just the games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 03:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1183
I enjoyed this set. There's the usual disagreement of which 10 games should have been highlighted but the quality of the broadcasts was strong and the game you mentioned is exceptional. It is interesting to see some of these games without the nervousness that accompanies watching them live. Sites like Amazon.com and Half.com usually have these products for a lower price, too.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
flyersfan420

the set is awsome..

flyersfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I enjoyed this set. There's the usual disagreement of which 10 games should have been highlighted but the quality of the broadcasts was strong and the game you mentioned is exceptional. It is interesting to see some of these games without the nervousness that accompanies watching them live. Sites like Amazon.com and Half.com usually have these products for a lower price, too.
Not to mention eBay.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Not to mention eBay.
Well, half.com is essentially eBay..

I watched the whole 5OT game last night when I couldn't sleep oddly enough. It's the ESPN broadcast. I was nervous every shot the Pens took on Boucher.

The DVD was a nice mix of new and old. Two games from 2004, the 5OT game, one from 87, 85, 76, 75, and two from 74.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I love it... we pop games in a lot this summer.....dying for the season to start. It's also good for fans that are newer to see old games and the history behind the team.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:37 PM
McNasty

It really makes you miss how the game used to be played

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Snevik

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers75 View Post
Well, half.com is essentially eBay..

I watched the whole 5OT game last night when I couldn't sleep oddly enough. It's the ESPN broadcast. I was nervous every shot the Pens took on Boucher.

The DVD was a nice mix of new and old. Two games from 2004, the 5OT game, one from 87, 85, 76, 75, and two from 74.
don't forget the streak.

what games would people have replaced (besides the tim kerr highlight reel)? what should replace them? i thought most of this list was relatively clear cut.

Snevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:44 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snevik View Post
don't forget the streak.

what games would people have replaced (besides the tim kerr highlight reel)? what should replace them? i thought most of this list was relatively clear cut.
Personally my top 10 would have been:

1974 Finals - games 2 & 6
1975 Finals - game - 6
1976 - Soviet game
1976 - Reggie Leach scores 5 to eliminate Bruins
1977 - Leafs game 4
1985 - Game 6 vs. Quebec (Poulin 2 men short/Lindbergh shut out)
1987 - Stanley Cup Finals - game 6
2000 - Pens 5OT game
2004 - Tampa - game 6

Flyers trailed 2 games to 1 ... and were losing 5-2 with 6 minutes remaining at Maple Leaf Gardens. Bridgeman with 5:49 to go. Bladon and Clarke 16 seconds apart with under 2 minutes remaining tie it up. Reggie Leach wins it in OT.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snevik View Post
don't forget the streak.

There are plenty of games omitted that rival those in this set. Fans were given a selection and had to choose 10 if memory serves me correctly so it is kind of tough to debate that process. It is a difficult task to limit it to ten but I do agree the Kerr game was the one that should have been left out.

A personal favorite is Game 4 of the Flyers-Leafs 1977 PO series. My guess is that complete game footage doesn't exist, like many others, but if this game was played in recent years we'd be labeling it as one of the greatest NHL games ever played.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...re.cgi?1977004

EDIT: John beat me to it.

Old
08-12-2007, 05:56 PM
John Flyers Fan

If I could choose 10 games for an additiona boxed set I would use:

1974 Semi finals game 7 vs. the Rangers

1974 Stanley Cup Finals - Game 4 - Bill Barber scores the game winner with what Bobby Orr said was "the greatest wrist shot I've ever seen.

2/9/73 - the night the Flyers cemented their reputation as the Broad St. Bullies.
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...e.cgi?19720437

1976 - Leach scores 5 to eliminate Bruins

1977 game 4 vs. Leafs mentioned above

1985 game 6 vs. Quebec .. Poulin/Lindbergh

1987 game 6 vs. Habs - pre game brawl, and win to eliminate Habs

1987 game 3 vs. Oilers, lost games 1 & 2 .. trailed 3-0 midway thru game 3, won 5-3

1997 game 4 vs. Rangers - Lindros with 6 seconds remaining

2003 game 4 vs. Toronto .. Recchi in triple OT

Old
08-12-2007, 05:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

If you guys are bored and want to see what the 1974 Flyers could do, check out this video clip. The importance of this was that the Flyers led the Flames 3-0 in games but were down 3-0 in Game 4 at Atlanta. Schultz had this fight against Atlanta's Hextall and the entire momentum shifted, the Flyers won, and the image was planted. The Flyers ripped out Atlanta's collective heart and ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Review: Atlanta scored to make it 3-0 with 3:41 to play in the second, 16 seconds later the fight happened, and then the Flyers scored 13 seconds after the fight. Down 3-1 now, the Flyers eventually won..........in overtime on a goal by Dave Schultz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure if I would label it as a Top Ten but this fight was far more than cosmetic it was legendary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k8gdkJaaaA

Box score: http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...re.cgi?1974004

Old
08-12-2007, 06:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

How great is FlyersHistory.com? Game 6 of the Flyers' first ever PO series which they lost in seven games to the Blues. Bernie Parent vs. Glenn Hall in goal. Parent makes 63 saves in a 2-1 double overtime win, a game the Flyers tied with 15 seconds left in regulation and were out-shot 10-2 in the second OT.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...re.cgi?1968006

Also, I know I ***** too much about the 1988 playoff loss to the Caps but Game 4 is without a doubt one of the most remarkable in Flyers' history. It is forgotten because the series was lost.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...re.cgi?1988004

Old
08-12-2007, 07:25 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Also, I know I ***** too much about the 1988 playoff loss to the Caps but Game 4 is without a doubt one of the most remarkable in Flyers' history. It is forgotten because the series was lost.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...re.cgi?1988004
I thought long and hard about including that in my next 10 series, but because they lost I didn't.

Old
08-12-2007, 10:26 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Didn't Kovalev (or someone) hit the post in one of the OTs? I nearly puked. I'm ashamed to say I went to bed before the ending, but it was an 'ESPN Instant Classic' so I think I got to watch it a day or two later.

Quote:
There are plenty of games omitted that rival those in this set. Fans were given a selection and had to choose 10 if memory serves me correctly so it is kind of tough to debate that process. It is a difficult task to limit it to ten but I do agree the Kerr game was the one that should have been left out.

A personal favorite is Game 4 of the Flyers-Leafs 1977 PO series. My guess is that complete game footage doesn't exist, like many others, but if this game was played in recent years we'd be labeling it as one of the greatest NHL games ever played.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...re.cgi?1977004

EDIT: John beat me to it.
You two are just scarey.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Didn't Kovalev (or someone) hit the post in one of the OTs? I nearly puked. I'm ashamed to say I went to bed before the ending, but it was an 'ESPN Instant Classic' so I think I got to watch it a day or two later.

You two are just scarey.
I have the scars to prove it.

Oh, the other question. My memory is hazy but this is a good article/summary:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...rs_pens_game4/

The Flyers got nearly all of the good chances in the first overtime, with Langkow missing off the crossbar with 30 seconds gone.

The Penguins subsequently had nearly all of the better chances in the second overtime, with Kovalev missing off the right post at 1:40 -- exactly the same shot he missed in the Flyers' 4-3 overtime victory in Game 3.

The third overtime featured a rarity -- three power plays, two by Pittsburgh, but neither team could score. The Flyers had six shots during their power play and 13 in the third overtime. There were no other power plays in any of the overtime periods.

Old
08-12-2007, 11:36 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have the scars to prove it.

Oh, the other question. My memory is hazy but this is a good article/summary:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...rs_pens_game4/

The Flyers got nearly all of the good chances in the first overtime, with Langkow missing off the crossbar with 30 seconds gone.

The Penguins subsequently had nearly all of the better chances in the second overtime, with Kovalev missing off the right post at 1:40 -- exactly the same shot he missed in the Flyers' 4-3 overtime victory in Game 3.

The third overtime featured a rarity -- three power plays, two by Pittsburgh, but neither team could score. The Flyers had six shots during their power play and 13 in the third overtime. There were no other power plays in any of the overtime periods.
I will never forget that. I remember running around the house yelling yes over and over. But yeah during the game, i needed the maalox a few times lol

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 11:41 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
I will never forget that. I remember running around the house yelling yes over and over. But yeah during the game, i needed the maalox a few times lol
I've mentioned this in the past but when Primeau scored I jumped so high my extended finger went through a ceiling fan. Dumb ass . Like I said, scars.

Old
08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
I've mentioned this in the past but when Primeau scored I jumped so high my extended finger went through a ceiling fan. Dumb ass . Like I said, scars.
ouch

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 11:51 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
When we scored in OT to beat the Leafs in 04, I jumped up and hit my head on my ceiling. I went to bed with a headache, but at least I was happy.

And no, I'm not 8 feet tall... my room is the attic converted into a room, so I've got slanted walls.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote