HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your teams best & worst deadline trades ever.

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 04:02 AM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosharksfan
maybe it was just my interpratations of things, the whole cancer in the locker room storys and such
There were the reports of clashes between selanne and sutter, but they were fairly overblown. They patched things up fairly quickly.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:25 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Habs have 2 really good ones

Malakhov for Souray, Dewolf and a 2nd
Linden, Zubrus and a 2nd for Zednik, Bulis and a First

Old
03-09-2004, 07:35 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Best:

Kevin Adams for Ray Whitney

Lyle Odelein for Jaroslav Spacek and a 2nd (Dan Fritsche)

Worst:

Probably whatever trade Columbus pulls today.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:44 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Darcy Regier makes great deadline trades,but he waits too long.My favorite is this deal...

To Buf:Rhett Warrener,5th rounder(Ryan Miller)
to Fla:Mike Wilson

Warrener(and ballard) turns into Drury so basically....

to Buf:Chris Drury,Ryan Miller
out of Buf:Mike Wilson

Not a bad deal at all

Old
03-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
What about the Gilmour trade? That was a pretty brutal trade, as I recall...Gilmour and some guy for Smith, Sullivan and McAuley...
Dave Ellet was the other guy and yeah that one did not work out to well for us either.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
definetly on paper it is the Morris, Ballard for Vaananen Gratton trade. but if the Avs win the cup i could care less

Old
03-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
???????????? That trade helped the Pens win the second cup! How could that be bad??? Tocchet went on to have a great Pens career, Kjell was a solid D-man for a few years after, and Wregget was a great backup/1b goalie......That was a great trade!!!

PS....Tocchet was traded to LA for Robitaille, who was dealt to NY for Nedved who was turned into Kovalev..........Not too shabby at all!!!
Good for one year though.

I forgot about the Naslund deal, as I try to block that thing from my memory, but this trade was horrid.

Tocchet's "great Pens career" lasted all of two seasons. I'm as big of a Wregget fan as there was but the fact remains this trade can simply be described as "the death of a would-be dynasty". Coffey was exactly what the Penguins needed for years after this deal went down.

And I don't care what happened to what after what, we didn't trade Paul Coffey for Alexei Kovalev.

Old
03-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Stock Rocks

Best:

Oates, Tocchet Ranford for Allison, Carter, Carey and Goren

Worst:

Juneau for Iafrate

Old
03-09-2004, 04:22 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful

I forgot about the Naslund deal, as I try to block that thing from my memory, but this trade was horrid.

Tocchet's "great Pens career" lasted all of two seasons. I'm as big of a Wregget fan as there was but the fact remains this trade can simply be described as "the death of a would-be dynasty". Coffey was exactly what the Penguins needed for years after this deal went down.

And I don't care what happened to what after what, we didn't trade Paul Coffey for Alexei Kovalev.
I fully agree. It still hurts to see Recchi not in a Penguins uniform. His best years were in Pittsburgh. Coffey was just incredible for us.

Old
03-09-2004, 11:07 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
It's not THE best but for the Habs a good one was:

Zednik, Bulis, 1st to the Habs for Linden, Zubrus and a 2nd to the Caps.

Zednik and Bulis have been huge parts of the team these past couple of years, and that draft pick became Perezhoghin i believe.

Zubrus is playing great, but not to his projected potential, but Linden only stayed for a bit then went back to Vancouver. What did that 2nd rounder become?

Old
03-10-2004, 03:19 AM
Higgy4

I am a Wings fan, but I have to post one for the Ottawa faithful.

Pavol Demitra to St.Louis...Christor Olsson to Ottawa.

That one was very bad.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Higgy4

I cant really come up with any real steals or stinkers for the Wings in the past few years. I guess the Schneider deal from last year was decent. As far as really bad ones? I guess picking up Ulf Samuelsson from the Rangers in 99 for a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder was pretty bad. Ulf played about 7 games for the Wings, and the Wings lost 2 picks.

Nice move there.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:25 AM
Higgy4

Worst trade ever for the Wings though? Thats an easy one.

Bernie Federko (who was 78 years old and played 1 year for the Wings) and Tony McKegney (played 14 games for the Wings) to St.Louis for Paul McLean (scored over 30 goals for the Blues) and Adam Oates (Hall of Famer).

Worst Wings trade ever.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Superfluous U

Ah Paul Coffey. Incredible for the Oilers, then they trade him to Pittsburgh right before they win the 4th cup. Then incredible for Pittsbugh, then he gets traded right before they win their 2nd. And then...

Edit: I guess that's not really fair. He had some pretty good years in Detroit too, statistically anyway.

Old
03-10-2004, 04:10 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful

I don't know. We needed a player like Coffey for years? I don't remember any shortage of goals for at least a decade following the deal. We still had Murphy for another four years, then Zubov. You know how our high-octane teams turned out down the road. Paper champions, all. Would Paul Coffey have changed that?

One could argue that the Pens didn't go far enough with trades of this ilk. You're familiar with the Pens' achilles heel during the '90s: defense, and team toughness. Kjell, Tocchet, and Wregget provided that. The Pens did even better following this trade, so you can't argue with results, unless you want to say they improved despite it.

Maybe the return value wasn't what you'd like, but I doubt we'd have done any better over the decade absent this deal. In fact, like I said before, it was probably too little in the right direction.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:18 PM
MotownMadman

One good one for the Wings was sending Coffey and Primeau to Hartford for Shanahan. Losing Coffey was a blow, but Shanny was a force that year and was the power forward Detroit needed.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:15 PM
emmjayb

Maybe not quite trade deadline stuff, but for the Flames I'd mention:

St. Louis traded Rik Wilson, Joe Mullen and Terry Johnson to Calgary for Eddy Beers, Charlie Bourgeois and Gino Cavallini on February 1, 1986.

Also:

N.Y. Islanders traded John Tonelli to Calgary in exchange for Rich Kromm and Steve Konroyd on March 11, 1986.

Closed Thread