HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hypothetical Playoff Matchup - #4 San Jose v. #5 Colorado

View Poll Results: SJ v. Colorado
San Jose Sharks 77 65.81%
Colorado Avalanche 40 34.19%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-19-2007, 02:58 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
I don't see how being on the 4th line could help his development as an offensive player.

Wouldn't it be a better idea for him to get big-time minutes on a scoring line in the AHL?

It's kind of a waste to have Hensick on the 4th line anyhow, IMO.
Earning your way on the 4rd or 4th line isn't the end of the world for good offensive players.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach - #1 Canes Fan View Post
Cheechoo was at his most dominant down the stretch. Comparing their last 10 games of the season:

Hejduk - 5 G, 4 A, 9 P
Cheechoo - 11 G, 3 A, 14 P

Cheechoo was over a goal-per-game in the final 10 games, including 2 hat tricks in 5 games.

Sakic<Thornton - Thornton can just intimidate opposing teams with his huge body, as opposed to the smaller Sakic. That's the only reason I'd take Thornton over Sakic

Hejduk<Cheechoo - As I stated above, Cheechoo just caught fire during crunch time. Pretty close, but I'd take Cheechoo by a hair. I think he wasn't that dominant the entire season because he spent a stretch of time away from Thornton

Smyth>Clowe - Clowe was tremendous when playing on the top line, but I do agree that Smyth is a better player right now

Wolski=Bernier - Close call. Wolski is better offensively, Bernier brings more like physical play and willingness to battle in front of the net

Stastny<Marleau

Brunette>Michalek
Tell me, what makes Cheechoo better than Hejduk? Hejduk had 1 more point than Cheechoo and was not even fully recovered from his knee surgery until mid season where he really started to take off.

Wolski at this point is better than Bernier no question.

Smyth is way, way better than Clowe right now. Huge difference. Way bigger difference there than there is between Marleau and Stastny.

Marleau tied Stastny in points last year, while Stastny was a rookie. Stastny should only improve with age and experience so saying Marleau is better than Stastny is far fetched, I would rank them equal.

Really the only player you could say is better is Thornton better than Sakic, and even then, if I'm in a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Final, I take Joe Sakic without even thinking about it for a second.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
I don't see how being on the 4th line could help his development as an offensive player.

Wouldn't it be a better idea for him to get big-time minutes on a scoring line in the AHL?

It's kind of a waste to have Hensick on the 4th line anyhow, IMO.
True which is why he'll probably start the season in the AHL, but he'll force his way on the team by the end of the season either through injuries, other players not performing, or sheer talent.

Old
08-19-2007, 03:16 AM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
Tell me, what makes Cheechoo better than Hejduk? Hejduk had 1 more point than Cheechoo and was not even fully recovered from his knee surgery until mid season where he really started to take off.

Wolski at this point is better than Bernier no question.

Smyth is way, way better than Clowe right now. Huge difference. Way bigger difference there than there is between Marleau and Stastny.

Marleau tied Stastny in points last year, while Stastny was a rookie. Stastny should only improve with age and experience so saying Marleau is better than Stastny is far fetched, I would rank them equal.

Really the only player you could say is better is Thornton better than Sakic, and even then, if I'm in a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Final, I take Joe Sakic without even thinking about it for a second.
I edited why I think Cheechoo is better after you quoted, so I'll state it again. Cheech's upper body strength is tremendous, and he's a beast along the boards. I think Cheechoo is much better defensively than Hejduk as well.

I like Bernier's game more than Wolski's. Bernier is much bigger and stronger than Wolski (Bernier is 1 inch shorter and 35 pounds heavier). Bernier plays a better defensive game, Wolski plays a better offensive game. They're hard to compare because they play very different styles. I just like the hard-nosed play of Bernier more, and appreciate all that he brings to the table.

Marleau played in 5 less games than Stastny and is their leader on and off the ice

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Wow Avs fans, sorry but Michalek will destroy Brunette in every facet of the game this coming season. Also Thornton is leagues above Sakic now at this stage of their careers and if you would choose Sakic over Thornton your an idiot.
I know Brunette's 83 points last year doesn't hold a candle to Michaleks 60-something.

Oh and you're right, Sakic's old, he should just retire. It's not like he's clutch in the playoffs or anything. What a pathetic player.

Old
08-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

Sharks take this one

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 05:17 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
I edited why I think Cheechoo is better after you quoted, so I'll state it again. Cheech's upper body strength is tremendous, and he's a beast along the boards. I think Cheechoo is much better defensively than Hejduk as well.

I like Bernier's game more than Wolski's. Bernier is much bigger and stronger than Wolski (Bernier is 1 inch shorter and 35 pounds heavier). Bernier plays a better defensive game, Wolski plays a better offensive game. They're hard to compare because they play very different styles. I just like the hard-nosed play of Bernier more, and appreciate all that he brings to the table.

Marleau played in 5 less games than Stastny and is their leader on and off the ice
I think Hejduk is quite a bit better than Cheechoo in his own end. I often think Cheechoo puts himself out of position when he gets panicked.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Sixxleaf

Avs, i think they will have a really strong season this year.

Brunette<Michalek, since i believe Michalek will come into his own this year

Sixxleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Too close to call for me. I wouldn't be surprised if either team takes it in 6.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Bullet

Sharks offence would prove to be too much for Colorados' goaltending. Sharks in 5.

Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 02:26 PM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
I know Brunette's 83 points last year doesn't hold a candle to Michaleks 60-something.

Oh and you're right, Sakic's old, he should just retire. It's not like he's clutch in the playoffs or anything. What a pathetic player.
first he had 66 in 78 games. second, it's not like michalek was terrible, and he is 11 years younger than brunette. in his last 20 games, he scored 25 points and increased his point total by 31 points from the prior year while playing in 3 less games. if michalek continues to play on joe's line i wouldn't be surprised if he got 90 points on the season, especially since thornton scored 36 points in his last 20 games once michalek joined his line.

cheechoo train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Stastny should only improve with age and experience so saying Marleau is better than Stastny is far fetched, I would rank them equal.
Quote:
If you want to base their games on numbers rather than quality play, wouldn't Michalek, being that he is only 22 years old (a whole year older than Paul), have the same benefit of the doubt as far as improving his totals? Brunette had the stat line over Michalek last year but Milan trumps him in nearly every physical and talent perspective, IMO. I have no doubt that he will prove as much this season and cement himself as one of the top wingers in the league.

08-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
If you want to base their games on numbers rather than quality play, wouldn't Michalek, being that he is only 22 years old (a whole year older than Paul), have the same benefit of the doubt as far as improving his totals? Brunette had the stat line over Michalek last year but Milan trumps him in nearly every physical and talent perspective, IMO. I have no doubt that he will prove as much this season and cement himself as one of the top wingers in the league.
The only difference is that Stastny was tied with Marleau in points with 78. Brunette had 17 more points than Michalek. Sure Michalek will improve, but will he improve that much? He could, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old
08-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:

Seems we've reached the biggest misconception about Hejduk once again. Hejduk is good defensively. He's the best backchecker on our team, and is smart positionally. He was used on the PK as well last year. I don't understand where people get this theory that Hejduk is bad defensively. He's not. Not all goal scorers are bad defensively.

Also, you bringing up the size factor when your saying Bernier is better than Wolski? So what he's bigger, that doesn't make him the better player. Wolski can hold his own in the size department too (6'3" 200 pounds)

Old
08-19-2007, 06:07 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Quote:
Seems we've reached the biggest misconception about Hejduk once again. Hejduk is good defensively. He's the best backchecker on our team, and is smart positionally. He was used on the PK as well last year. I don't understand where people get this theory that Hejduk is bad defensively. He's not. Not all goal scorers are bad defensively.
I never said Hejduk was bad defensively, I just think Cheechoo is better. Pre-lockout, he played with Shawn Thornton and Mike Ricci and learned a lot about playing a two-way game. Cheechoo's very strong on the puck and knows how to get back in his zone.

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Avs take it in 7!!

Better offense and defense...(Sharks get edge in goaltending)

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
The only difference is that Stastny was tied with Marleau in points with 78. Brunette had 17 more points than Michalek. Sure Michalek will improve, but will he improve that much? He could, but I wouldn't count on it.
If Brunette could improve 20 points over his prior season and 14 points over his prior career high for points in a season, then I think it is very possible that Michalek could improve 17 points since he improved 31 points from the prior season, is young, and is playing with Thornton. Brunette's career high was only 3 points higher than Michalek had last year as a 21 year old, and Michalek missed 4 games.

cheechoo train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

LMAO, I think I just read something about Andrew Brunette being better than Milan Michalek. Did I really?

This series would be close, the teams are even offensively, the Avalanche have an advantage defensively, and San Jose takes the goaltending aspect easily.

Michalek might not score 83 points next season, but he is a better overall player than Andrew Brunette RIGHT NOW, and will be far, far better than Brunette down the line.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
LMAO, I think I just read something about Andrew Brunette being better than Milan Michalek. Did I really?

This series would be close, the teams are even offensively, the Avalanche have an advantage defensively, and San Jose takes the goaltending aspect easily.

Michalek might not score 83 points next season, but he is a better overall player than Andrew Brunette RIGHT NOW, and will be far, far better than Brunette down the line.
Well considering a Sharks fan said Bernier was better than Wolski now, when Wolski had more points despite picking up an injury which hurt his play, saying Brunette is better now than Michalek isn't too far fetched when one scored 17 more points.

Also the Avs have a better offence than the Sharks. The Avs bottom six forwards are much better offensively than the Sharks bottom six. The top six is close but the Avs still have more depth in the top six.

Offence=Avs
Defence=Avs
Goaltending=Sharks

Old
08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

San Jose

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old