HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting Free Sticks or Using Warranty to Get Replacement Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2007, 02:51 AM
  #1
Powerade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Getting Free Sticks or Using Warranty to Get Replacement Sticks

I've heard so many people say "i've broken 6 sticks in the last 18 months and I've only paid for one of them." How are they doing it?

I got an Easton SL last week and now all I keep hearing is how people always break them so now I'm getting paranoid about flushing a bill and change down the drain.

Powerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:42 AM
  #2
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Easton is usually pretty easy going with the warranty. I know a few people who when they break an SL, they buy a new one and then wait a few weeks and send in the broken one with the reciept of the new one, and easton sends them one, other then that idk.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 04:14 AM
  #3
Powerade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Will Easton accept a photocopy of the receipt so I can then go back and return the new one I bought?

Powerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:05 PM
  #4
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,133
vCash: 500
This is fraud and one of the reasons OPS cost so much.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:53 PM
  #5
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
This is fraud and one of the reasons OPS cost so much.
Thank you someone mentioned that! Hate having to pay for someone commiting a crime.

And Easton SEs (idk which other sticks) now have a serial number in the clear coat on the stick and the receipt has to match the serial number on the stick in order for any warranty to be processed.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
  #6
xeric716x
Born To Expire
 
xeric716x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jack City
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Thank you someone mentioned that! Hate having to pay for someone commiting a crime.

And Easton SEs (idk which other sticks) now have a serial number in the clear coat on the stick and the receipt has to match the serial number on the stick in order for any warranty to be processed.

is Easton the only company that does this?

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 04:39 PM
  #7
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
I've never personally broken a stick within 30 days so i've never dealt with warranty issues, but I would think all the bigger hockey companies would be doing it because of fraud. I think the reason it works so well with Easton is b/c the SL is known to be not very durable.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
  #8
xeric716x
Born To Expire
 
xeric716x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jack City
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
This is fraud and one of the reasons OPS cost so much.
so is making a less than durable stick. and OPS have been over $100 since the first day they've come out.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 05:11 PM
  #9
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
and OPS have been over $100 since the first day they've come out.
Which has nothing to do with the fact that they cost more due to fraud.

Or is your claim that Easton was naive about the potential for fraud when they released the stick in the first place?

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 05:40 PM
  #10
XweekendwarriorX
 
XweekendwarriorX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buffalo,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
If you are good friends or that with someone at the place you bought your OPS at they might be able to just print you out a new receipt and wait a day and send that in if you dont wanna go out and buy a brand new one.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 06:10 PM
  #11
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Yea I know a few people who work at rinks and never pay for **** b/c of being able to print receipts.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
  #12
rydude189
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
lol I bought an RBK 4k during a summer sale a few years ago so my 30 day warranty was up before I could even use the stick. First practice it snapped right above the blade. Phoned the store which sold it to me and they said too bad. E-Mailed RBK and they said ok send the stick and a copy of your receipt. So I scanned it. went into paint and altered the date from 6-11 to 9-11 (yikes). Sent it away and got a new one within a week.

And yes that is fraud, but the stick was obviously defective or something, seeing as my new stick has lasted me two seasons this far. Sure only 6 goals on it lol but its still one piece.

rydude189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 09:05 PM
  #13
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
so is making a less than durable stick. and OPS have been over $100 since the first day they've come out.
OPS are performance sticks in general. If cost is a huge concern, you shouldn't be buying them. If price is a factor and you need an OPS go the sale route or chose an OPS which is made for durability (like the Bauer Endure, Graf Goldline or Easton ST). The first OPS I bought was $230 CAD, the game stick I have beside me retails for $320 locally. Also alot of people get replacements on sticks they shouldn't. The warranty is for manufacturers defects, it's not a 30 day guarantee. If it's broken during gameplay, from wear and tear, it really shouldn't be warranted and the companies are giving you a break by doing so. If it's a flaw in the stick, like some SL's had, the Vector 130 had (the blade peeled with tape), or the M-1s shotty initial blade, that's what it is there for. I have no problems sending a defective stick back, or one that breaks within 30 days. If the companies offer it, take advantage of it. If it breaks outside that period, pay up and get a new one. If you can't afford another you shouldn't have bought one in the first place. If money is that much of a concern you can find great deals for clearance OPS that are great sticks. Xn10s for under $100, Winwell's repainted 1100s (which happen to be Warrior sticks now), then there's E-bay as well.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:19 PM
  #14
SS
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SS
some people who play this game cant afford to buy a $200 stick everytime it breaks. i dont know how many people live week to week, but i am one of them and i will take advantage if i have friends. the companies can afford it and they obviously know whats going on.

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:32 PM
  #15
XweekendwarriorX
 
XweekendwarriorX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buffalo,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
some people who play this game cant afford to buy a $200 stick everytime it breaks. i dont know how many people live week to week, but i am one of them and i will take advantage if i have friends. the companies can afford it and they obviously know whats going on.
I agree eachOPS company is making millions if not billions on there products so if i wanna try and scam them for a broken stick i will im sorry im not a CEO or president or have a nice fancy $75,000 a year job but i do have bills i gotta pay and am only 21 so every bit helps even a free stick.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:52 PM
  #16
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
some people who play this game cant afford to buy a $200 stick everytime it breaks. i dont know how many people live week to week, but i am one of them and i will take advantage if i have friends. the companies can afford it and they obviously know whats going on.
So instead, you scam the company, which raises prices, put your friends in awkward positions, and risk their jobs so you can buy a stick you like, but can't afford. If you can't afford to break it, don't buy the $200 stick, Buy a tapered Combo which will perform similarly and be cheaper to replace, buy a wood stick, check E-bay, buy sticks on sale. There's ALOT of options for cheap OPS which perform well enough. If you are that hard up for cash, do some research and find the cheaper alternatives which perform well. There's more than enough message boards and internet resources to find help. Replacements won't cut into their profits, they will add it to the prices and charge more. OPS have raised in price a fair bit since they first came out, but there are also lower level alternatives as well. Find what fits your range instead of screwing the honest people into paying more for sticks because you are too cheap to buy a new one, or too lazy to find a cheaper stick which can work just as well.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:00 PM
  #17
SS
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SS
i disagree. my vapor is gonna be $180 no matter what i do. its a bunch of BS to say that raises the prices. its crazy and thats why this sport is dying, cuz of prices like his. no ordinary person can afford to shell out $180 liek that.

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:30 PM
  #18
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
i disagree. my vapor is gonna be $180 no matter what i do. its a bunch of BS to say that raises the prices. its crazy and thats why this sport is dying, cuz of prices like his. no ordinary person can afford to shell out $180 liek that.
Eh..don't think your right on that one. Easton had a Synergy stick, a lower end one they released with no warranty for a while I do believe. It was like $55 and was $20 than a similar Synergy 300 stick. So it does have an effect on pricing.


Last edited by sc37: 08-19-2007 at 11:46 PM.
sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
  #19
desperateblue
Registered User
 
desperateblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Sorry guys but if you really think a few hundread scammed sticks per year are the reason these things cost 150+ then your as naive as these companies had hoped.
I work in the plastic industry and I can tell you 100% without a doubt the cost involved in each stick is next to nothing. What they are charging you for is R&D.
Which wouldnt be so bad except the government in canada and the US offer rebates on R&D for new products.Each yr these companies come out with new IMPROVED R&D
rebates so your money is gravy.Everytime some moron buys a stick for over 200 thats what makes the CEO's say hey lets try for 250. If no one bought them the price would drop down to a reasonable amount. Sort of the same monopoly the leafs have in toronto with the leafs. Just because you have to much money doesnt mean you should waste it, and there by drive up prices.
I have never bought a stick for more then a hundread out of principle however if I do and it breaks you bet your ass its gettin replaced one way or the other.

desperateblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 09:37 PM
  #20
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperateblue View Post
Sorry guys but if you really think a few hundread scammed sticks per year are the reason these things cost 150+ then your as naive as these companies had hoped.
I work in the plastic industry and I can tell you 100% without a doubt the cost involved in each stick is next to nothing. What they are charging you for is R&D.
Which wouldnt be so bad except the government in canada and the US offer rebates on R&D for new products.Each yr these companies come out with new IMPROVED R&D
rebates so your money is gravy.Everytime some moron buys a stick for over 200 thats what makes the CEO's say hey lets try for 250. If no one bought them the price would drop down to a reasonable amount. Sort of the same monopoly the leafs have in toronto with the leafs. Just because you have to much money doesnt mean you should waste it, and there by drive up prices.
I have never bought a stick for more then a hundread out of principle however if I do and it breaks you bet your ass its gettin replaced one way or the other.
It's not the only factor, but it is one of them. Last I heard Easton warranty numbers were incredibly high and it's MUCH more than a few hundred people scamming.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
  #21
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperateblue View Post
Sorry guys but if you really think a few hundread scammed sticks per year are the reason these things cost 150+ then your as naive as these companies had hoped.
I work in the plastic industry and I can tell you 100% without a doubt the cost involved in each stick is next to nothing. What they are charging you for is R&D.
Which wouldnt be so bad except the government in canada and the US offer rebates on R&D for new products.Each yr these companies come out with new IMPROVED R&D
rebates so your money is gravy.Everytime some moron buys a stick for over 200 thats what makes the CEO's say hey lets try for 250. If no one bought them the price would drop down to a reasonable amount. Sort of the same monopoly the leafs have in toronto with the leafs. Just because you have to much money doesnt mean you should waste it, and there by drive up prices.
I have never bought a stick for more then a hundread out of principle however if I do and it breaks you bet your ass its gettin replaced one way or the other.
More like a few hundred an hour (considering there's like a hour wait to get a hold of someone on warranty calls!)....And yes, R&D comes at a price but carbon fiber, kevlar, and graphite cost more than you think.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 10:25 AM
  #22
Diamond Joe
 
Diamond Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 500
I think I read a while ago (couple years) that sticks like the original Synergy Grip and the Si-Core Grip (which I currently own and still use) cost Easton $7 to make in Mexico, so their margins are huge to begin with.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
  #23
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
I agree eachOPS company is making millions if not billions on there products so if i wanna try and scam them for a broken stick i will im sorry im not a CEO or president or have a nice fancy $75,000 a year job but i do have bills i gotta pay and am only 21 so every bit helps even a free stick.
So it's ok to rob the guy in the BMW because he can afford it...

BTW, thanks for driving up the price of sticks for me. I'm someone who can afford it and they are being priced out of my range.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 12:07 PM
  #24
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
I think I read a while ago (couple years) that sticks like the original Synergy Grip and the Si-Core Grip (which I currently own and still use) cost Easton $7 to make in Mexico, so their margins are huge to begin with.
There's a lot of crap floating around about how much it costs to make a stick...and probably most of the info comes from ppl spewing stuff. And even if it did cost like $20 to make....you need to consider the R&D which was already mentioned, but don't forget we gotta pay taxes for all this stuff coming up from Mexico, there's marketing, licensing fees among other costs. Don't forget about quality control cause some sticks are dumped cause they don't meet the standards. And then your retailer has gotta make some money off this too right? So there's your cost....that's why it is what it is.

And if someone didn't like my explanation about Easton's cheap stick with no warranty....how about pro-stocks? Why is it that I can get a pro-stock stick for $99 and a retail version with a warranty costs me like $170? The warranty does make up a big chunk of the cost.

And honestly, when you break like a $40 wood stick people are just like oh well, but when you buy a cheapo OPS for like $50 ppl which b!tch and moan about it. It's just the fact that manufacturers offer a warranty and everyone is always gonna try to get the most out of it which eventually trickles down to everyone else.

And honestly, manufacturers are being nice already considering their quality controls. If it was indeed a stick defect that caused the thing to break, wouldn't that happen within a few minutes of you using it and not like day 29?

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 01:03 PM
  #25
willy0314
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
I think I read a while ago (couple years) that sticks like the original Synergy Grip and the Si-Core Grip (which I currently own and still use) cost Easton $7 to make in Mexico, so their margins are huge to begin with.
that is 100% true. The sticks cost next to nothing to make, and next to nothing to import. They are literally made right accross the border.

One of the reasons that sticks cost so much is because for every OPS that breaks, there are 20 other ones sold that last years. I have an ST that is 3 years old. I think I paid $140 for it, but over three years thats less then $50 in hockey stick a year. Most of the people who buy the sticks, buy them, and then dont spend any money on a stick for quite some time.

willy0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.