HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Colorado College goalie Matt Zaba

Old
08-19-2007, 01:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmunch View Post
There is also Wiikman, who I dont think signed on to play in the ECHL
Who knows what they plan to do. Frankly, from watching him in college, I think that Zaba is "above" the ECHL level, but whoever wins out in camp as Montoya's back-up will be in the AHL I'm guessing.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 01:55 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I don't. The Kings who are desperate for goaltending help as it is, don't sign a guy who could potentially be an AHL starter for them? I don't buy it. ECHL puck fodder. He'll be good buddies with Huge Specimen.
It's nice that you don't think so, but I've watched him a number of times and I think he's a decent enough goaltender to succeed in the AHL.

Also, the Kings have a ton of goaltenders in the system. Another reason to not sign a guy who doesn't really have starting potential and is most likely a long-shot to be a NHL back-up.

BTW, where did I ever say "AHL starter"? He's brought in to be either Montoya's back-up or split time with someone in Charlotte. I never said anything about starting this year in the AHL.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's nice that you don't think so, but I've watched him a number of times and I think he's a decent enough goaltender to succeed in the AHL.

Also, the Kings have a ton of goaltenders in the system. Another reason to not sign a guy who doesn't really have starting potential and is most likely a long-shot to be a NHL back-up.

BTW, where did I ever say "AHL starter"? He's brought in to be either Montoya's back-up or split time with someone in Charlotte. I never said anything about starting this year in the AHL.
Sure they have a ton, but what's wrong with having too much goaltending? And quality over quantity. You don't not sign a guy if you think he has a chance. Poor asset mangement if the Kings thought he was good enough to even make it as an NHL backup and they didn't sign him. Lombardi doesn't strike me as being that stupid.

You said I think Zaba is an AHL level goaltender right now. I mistook it at first glance as thinking you thought he'd be an AHL starter.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Why is it that whenever the Rangers sign a minor league goalie, the everyone thinks Montoya is going to be traded?

The Rangers want/need to have 6 goalies signed to pay in their pro system: 2 in New York, 2 in Hartford, and 2 in Charlotte. Zaba makes 6.
Well technically he makes 5, because while Wiikman is signed to an AHL contract he isn't (as you know) a Ranger property...the Rangers could easily have signed Zaba to an AHL contract also, but they appear to have signed him to an NHL contract.

With all that said, they had 5 goalies under contract last year as well, filling it out with a 6th they signed to an AHL contract during the season...though it appeared the plan was originally to bring Wiikman over before running into issues with the transfer agreement.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
shoothepuck

While the Rangers did go with 5 goalies in the system last season, it dosn't hurt to have an extra. Camp will determine where the fodder will go.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 04:01 PM
bmoak

No. Last year we had six: Lundqvist, Weekes, Montoya, Valiquette, Holt and Westlund. The year before we had five and were burned by injuries.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Nich

Quote:
Why is it that whenever the Rangers sign a minor league goalie, the everyone thinks Montoya is going to be traded?

The Rangers want/need to have 6 goalies signed to pay in their pro system: 2 in New York, 2 in Hartford, and 2 in Charlotte. Zaba makes 6.
bingo

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
hdw

Isn't the problem with Montoya that he's too good, and expensive, to sit on the bench behind Henrik, while not good enough to steal his job?

Which creates a problem when it comes to trades. Everyone knows that he's really good in AHL, but without some NHL time his value will stay down or at least be uncertain.

But things can change, Hank can get injured.
Then Montoya would most likely be called up.

Unless that happens he's in a bit of catch 22.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 04:53 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
i think signing Zaba is a good idea. Hell, even Hank was a late draft pick!!!

But basically this is asset management by Sather again. He likes to stock pile parts in case of depth and/or moves.

If Montoya does get moved (a big if!!) then Sather can command what HE wants in return and not worry about our goaltending depth and have to ask for a goalie in return thus watering down the quality of retun for Montoya. This signing makes sense in terms of numbers i f nothing else. Another very low risk potentially high reward deal.

If Zaba's got game then he'll have the chance to prove it at camp and beyond, if he hasnt he'll be riding a bus around ECHL cities and provide mere depth.

Good move.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Fish

Quote:
No. Last year we had six: Lundqvist, Weekes, Montoya, Valiquette, Holt and Westlund. The year before we had five and were burned by injuries.
Westlund wasn't signed to an NHL contract, like Wiikman he was on an AHL contract.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It's official

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2984

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
i think signing Zaba is a good idea. Hell, even Hank was a late draft pick!!!

But basically this is asset management by Sather again. He likes to stock pile parts in case of depth and/or moves.

If Montoya does get moved (a big if!!) then Sather can command what HE wants in return and not worry about our goaltending depth and have to ask for a goalie in return thus watering down the quality of retun for Montoya. This signing makes sense in terms of numbers i f nothing else. Another very low risk potentially high reward deal.

If Zaba's got game then he'll have the chance to prove it at camp and beyond, if he hasnt he'll be riding a bus around ECHL cities and provide mere depth.

Good move.
I think you're reading much too much into this signing. There are three clubs (Rangers, Wolfpack, Checkers) that each need two goalies, until this kid was signed, there were only 5 goalies in the whole organization. And I really don't think that signing Zaba will have any effect on the Montoya situation--Zaba's position on the depth chart of the organization is somewhere around Holt's, namely he's right at the bottom of the pile. Zaba is going to be fighting to get regular minutes, most likely with Charlotte, he's not going to be starting many games at the AHL level and he's certainly not going to be playing for the Rangers this season--even if Montoya is traded.

Finally, I don't think this signing improves Sather's position if he decides to trade Montoya. The Ranger organization still lacks quality at goalie position after counting Lundqvist and Montoya. It still lacks experience, with only one goaltender having started more than 10 NHL games. If anything, signing Zaba means that if Montoya is traded, the organization really does need to find another goalie with some significant professional experience to fill the void.

This signing is to make sure there are enough goalies in the system to fill all the positions open, nothing more, nothing less. If we're lucky, Zaba might just turn into a player like Valiquette (in about 8-9 years) or LaBarbara. But, since he's only been signed to a one year contract, he better show something fast.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

As far as stats go, in his 4 seasons in the NCAA and 1 in the BCHL, he only once had a save percentage under 0.91 (and it was 0.909) and always at least a .500 record.. looks promising enough.

It's possible that LA, under their 'new' management, could have just tried to pay a 8th rd pick from the old 'regime' a typical 8th rounders salary, and Zaba balked.

I've never actually seen Zaba play, but I've heard good things about him over the years, since he was in the BCHL.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote