HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey & HDTV

Old
08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
TempusFugit

vCash: 500
Hockey & HDTV

I was unsure if this topic didn't belong in the OT thread, but it is somewhat hockey related. If you, oh wise and enlightened mods, deign that it belongs in the OT thread, I shan't be upset if it is merged.

Anyhoo here's my setup: 56" JVC projection HD TV (might upgrade to plasma or LCD next year), 100 watt 5.1 surround sound audio system, Dish Network VIP 211 HD box with full HD programming.

If you subscribe to Center Ice (currently $150 or so) they give you a few HD games on their PPV channel for free. It probably comes out to an average of one a week, tho last year they showed a lot of HD games at first, tailed off a lot, then picked up again near the end of the year. A lot of them were feeds from Fox Sports North covering Minnesota Wild games. No HD feeds from Comcast and the Capitals. HD Net shows two HD games every week. Dish just added 6 new national HD channels, one of which is Versus (it shares a channel with the Golf Channel) so I'm sure I'll get their HD hockey games this season.
By my count Dish now has between 30 and 35 HD channels, far more than Directv. That number doesn't include premium movie channels, which I don't subscribe to.

My questions for the rest of you: how many HD games does Comcast broadcast of the Caps each season?
How many HD channels does your cable and/or satellite provider have?
Directv is advertising that they'll have 150 HD channels soon, but their website says they'll have the CAPACITY for 100 channels. Anyone know the real deal with this?
Oh yeah, one final question: does Directv show any HD games other than those on HDNet?

I'd like to ditch Dish Network, since their customer service is ridiculously hard to deal with. They all sound like Apu of the Simpsons. But for now they're the best thing in HDTV, so unless I can find something better, I'll stay

Last edited by TempusFugit: 08-20-2007 at 07:04 PM.
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I don't think i can answer any of your questions but i ditched Dish last year and got Directv. I have the Center Ice package, but i don't have a t.v. that is HD(at least i don't think)

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:17 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
I was unsure if this topic didn't belong in the OT thread, but it is somewhat hockey related. If you, oh wise and enlightened mods, deign that it belongs in the OT thread, I shan't be upset if it is merged.

Anyhoo here's my setup: 56" JVC projection HD TV (might upgrade to plasma or LCD next year), 100 watt 5.1 surround sound audio system, Dish Network VIP 211 HD box with full HD programming.

If you subscribe to Center Ice (currently $150 or so) they give you a few HD games on their PPV channel for free. It probably comes out to an average of one a week, tho last year they showed a lot of HD games at first, tailed off a lot, then picked up again near the end of the year. A lot of them were feeds from Fox Sports North covering Minnesota Wild games. No HD feeds from Comcast and the Capitals. HD Net shows two HD games every week. Dish just added 6 new national HD channels, one of which is Versus (it shares a channel with the Golf Channel) so I'm sure I'll get their HD hockey games this season.
By my count Dish now has between 30 and 35 HD channels, far more than Directv. That number doesn't include premium movie channels, which I don't subscribe to.

My questions for the rest of you: how many HD games does Comcast broadcast of the Caps each season?
Directv is advertising that they'll have 150 HD channels soon, but their website says they'll have the CAPACITY for 100 channels. Anyone know the real deal with this?
Oh yeah, one final question: does Directv show any HD games other than those on HDNet?

I'd like to ditch Dish Network, since their customer service is ridiculously hard to deal with. They all sound like Apu of the Simpsons. But for now they're the best thing in HDTV, so unless I can find something better, I'll stay
Comcast broadcasts every home Caps game in HD, provided theres no Wizards game at the same time. And about Directv, not sure about the lineup, but I'd stay far, far away from them. I've had bad experiences. I would look into Verizon Fios and see if it's carried in your area. It's the best bang for the buck, IMO. BTW, Fios carries Comcast Sports Net in the DC area, so no need to buy an additional sports package for Caps games.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:52 PM
pgreene

Quote:

directv has been advertising adding HD capacity for a while. it has yet to materialize. i've no problems with directv. i have it with center ice and hd package. i get hd games on versus (from time to time) and on hdnet. if you get locals in hd, you'd get whatever games they get around to showing on nbc in hd as well.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I have Cox Cable and they don't carry CSNHD yet. My HDTV broadcasts were lame upscaled ones on the CW and INHD/Mojo and the one or two national telecasts.

Would love to switch to Fios but I live in a condo and I know from speaking with them those are down on the list to receive even if they have it in the area. Though there seems to be a decent amount of Channel 8 games so its nice to have that with Cox. Though I'll probably get center ice this time around so I think I could see those games if I didn't have channel 8.

I have a older 32" tube HDTV but have been resisting going with a 46" LCD until I have CSNHD. You hear that Cox Cable? You could force me to by a HDTV! laf

And GHG yes the thread is fine on its own. Its slow time anyways :-).

08-20-2007, 09:52 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Comcast broadcasts every home Caps game in HD, provided theres no Wizards game at the same time. And about Directv, not sure about the lineup, but I'd stay far, far away from them. I've had bad experiences. I would look into Verizon Fios and see if it's carried in your area. It's the best bang for the buck, IMO. BTW, Fios carries Comcast Sports Net in the DC area, so no need to buy an additional sports package for Caps games.
I probably should have mentioned the fact that I live 2,000 miles from the DC area now. Lived for 36 years in Rockville, but have lived for 7 years in Texas. I also live WAAAAAY in the boonies, so basically I'm stuck (if you can call it that) with satellite TV. Dish Network has thus far been very good and very reliable. That BS that cable companies like to feed you about it going out everytime it gets cloudy is just nonsense. I only lose the picture if it's a MAJOR storm, as in Wizard of Oz style cloud cover. But like I said before, I hate to deal with their customer service. I've had a couple of times where they've just been plain wrong about a few things, or didn't know what they were doing. But that might apply to just about every satellite/cable company

Old
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
I probably should have mentioned the fact that I live 2,000 miles from the DC area now. Lived for 36 years in Rockville, but have lived for 7 years in Texas. I also live WAAAAAY in the boonies, so basically I'm stuck (if you can call it that) with satellite TV. Dish Network has thus far been very good and very reliable. That BS that cable companies like to feed you about it going out everytime it gets cloudy is just nonsense. I only lose the picture if it's a MAJOR storm, as in Wizard of Oz style cloud cover. But like I said before, I hate to deal with their customer service. I've had a couple of times where they've just been plain wrong about a few things, or didn't know what they were doing. But that might apply to just about every satellite/cable company

Hey i live in the middle of the Boonies thousands of miles away like you, I don't really notice a difference between Dish and Directv, i've had both, Satellite is all i can get, the only reason why i have Direct is cause it is cheaper.

Old
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
TempusFugit

Dish has way more HD channels, which is why I have it. Cuz I'm an HD junkie. If you've never seen hockey in HD....well, it's like the difference between the 1980s Oilers and today's Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
08-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I have Comcast Digital Cable. They broadcast maybe 50 or so of the games in straight HD. Usually the Philly games and then all the home games for the most part.

As far as channels, they've got about 45-50 HD channels. They keep adding stuff, but there isn't a boat load of things. Digital cable does give me options as far as the Fox Soccer Channel, so I'm pretty set with that.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 10:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
directv has been advertising adding HD capacity for a while. it has yet to materialize. i've no problems with directv. i have it with center ice and hd package. i get hd games on versus (from time to time) and on hdnet. if you get locals in hd, you'd get whatever games they get around to showing on nbc in hd as well.
Directv has new HD content coming out like right now.

Center Ice shows the away feed on Directv for News Channel 8 games.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 11:39 PM
bonzilla

GHG-

I'm also a boonie resident in the Shen Valley - had both Dish and D* (DirecTv), and IMO their is none greater than D*. We have a 64" Pioneer Elite RPTV with Boston towers in the front and lil' Pioneers in the back and on the sides. The good folks at D* have just upgraded our dish and HD-DVR (basically fo free) to accommodate the new HD offerings coming (supposedly) by year-end.

To answer your question concerning D* and CI, D* will usually air 1 (sometimes 2) HD NHL games per night during the regular season. The games they select seem to be pretty random, but basically never include feeds from games broadcast by Comcast HD - mostly from Fox, Rogers, Turner or TSN HD. Last season there were several (all away) Cap games broadcast in HD. The TSN ones were absolutely fantastic!

In addition to these on CI, you also get the HDNet games and several (not all) Versus and local "ota" or WNBC NBC games in HD.

Interestingly, from what I've discussed with D* account reps, D* and Comcast are locked in some life and death struggle for the soul of the American couch potato and will do literally anything to disrupt one another's business. They assured me that as far as CI goes, that Comcast is contractually obligated to provide the home team telecast for their designated CI games (i.e. Caps and Flyers, etc. home games) for all CI providers including Dish, D*, Cox, etc in basic digital format... Comcast will not, however, provide D* with their HD feed in order for D* to feature it in their HD sports lineup.

Just as an aside, this past Saturday, Comcast blacked out its broadcast of the Redskins/Steelers preseason game, to D* subscribers with Comcast Mid-Atlantic (HTS) as their designated regional sports channel just to pizz D* (and all of us hillbilly R'skin fans) off !!

My advice would be for you to ditch the Dish and pick up the new D* hardware and get ready for D*'s new satellite to shower you with all of their new HD channels that they are airing this fall...

If you have never visited AVSforum.com they have a fantastic message board on HD programming to get all the latest info. on who's got what, and what's coming up in the world of HD programming.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 12:12 AM
TempusFugit

Thanx Bonzilla, that was quite helpful. You Da Man!

For now, I'll probably adopt a "wait and see" attitude. For one thing, I believe I've got another year left on my Dish Network contract. For another, I want to see how many HD channels that Directv will actually have. Dish has about 35 or so right now, whereas Directv has less than 10 (again, not including premium move channels). I do enjoy watching Animal Planet, Science Channel, National Geographic, TNT and all the VOOM channels. If Directv trumps them in channel offerings then I'll blow off Dish. One thing Dish has that blows Directv away: you can choose which feed you want to watch on Center Ice. Not having to listen to Tripp Tracy and Bobby "The Chief" Taylor during Capitals games is almost enough to keep me away from Directv forever!

Interesting that you bring up the battle twixt Directv and Comcast. When the NHL came out of the lockout and got a TV deal with OLN/Versus, which of course is owned by Comcast, the parent company of OLN got pissed at Dish for not offering their channel on a lower tier, since it was on the most expensive tier of programming. At first they blacked out the hockey games, so Dish, in revenge, pulled the channel all together. I didn't get to see games on OLN till April of that year, when the two sides finally buried the hatchet. So Comcast apparently has a history of that

Last edited by TempusFugit: 08-21-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old
08-21-2007, 01:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
AVSforum.com
Rocks...

Old
08-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Thanx Bonzilla, that was quite helpful. You Da Man!

For now, I'll probably adopt a "wait and see" attitude. For one thing, I believe I've got another year left on my Dish Network contract. For another, I want to see how many HD channels that Directv will actually have. Dish has about 35 or so right now, whereas Directv has less than 10 (again, not including premium move channels). I do enjoy watching Animal Planet, Science Channel, National Geographic, TNT and all the VOOM channels. If Directv trumps them in channel offerings then I'll blow off Dish. One thing Dish has that blows Directv away: you can choose which feed you want to watch on Center Ice. Not having to listen to Tripp Tracy and Bobby "The Chief" Taylor during Capitals games is almost enough to keep me away from Directv forever!

That is the thing i miss about Dish, but i've gotten used to those comentaters.

Old
08-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
What are you talking about?

I have DirecTV, I get every local channel in HD, I get CSN in HD, I get ESPN, ESPN2 in HD, I get about a quarter of the VS games in HD, and I get HDNet.

The only downside to DirecTV is that you don't get NC8 games.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 11:04 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post

I have DirecTV, I get every local channel in HD, I get CSN in HD, I get ESPN, ESPN2 in HD, I get about a quarter of the VS games in HD, and I get HDNet.

Foy - you get CSN HD as an "over the air" local channel not through the satellite HD feed correct?

...I've also read rumors that DirecTV is making space to carry all available HD feeds on CI for 2007-8 season. That would indeed be nice

GH - interesting info that Dish actually has both broadcasts to choose from, home and away....Agree: FCC should initiate Trip Tracy Act legislation to protect the rights of H'cane oppositiion fans forced to endure "cruel and inhuman enthusiasm" during the game ..

Old
08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Foy

Quote:
Foy - you get CSN HD as an "over the air" local channel not through the satellite HD feed correct?

...I've also read rumors that DirecTV is making space to carry all available HD feeds on CI for 2007-8 season. That would indeed be nice

GH - interesting info that Dish actually has both broadcasts to choose from, home and away....Agree: FCC should initiate Trip Tracy Act legislation to protect the rights of H'cane oppositiion fans forced to endure "cruel and inhuman enthusiasm" during the game ..

Comcast SportsNet doesn't broadcast over the air, it's a premium cable channel. I don't know how one would get it without a cable or satellite feed.

DirecTV has been carrying about 2 random hockey games per week in their "Other HD Channels" (usually between channels 90-99. It's usually a fox sports net affiliate providing the feed, and I got several good games out of that last year. And the occasional Panthers/Thrashers game that made me go back upstairs.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
pgreene

Quote:

my directv HD doesn't include CSN or locals. the ones where i am haven't been added yet (i'm not in d.c.). the vs ones are often in hd, and hdnet shows them with some regularity.

if they did center ice in hd, it'd be most excellent.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Xaroc

Anyone else with FIOS TV in the MD/VA/DC area know if/when they are going to get CSN HD? I get CSN now but not the HD feed. I know up in Philly they get CSN HD already so I know it is possible but any news on a deal? Thanks.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 04:00 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Both Dish and DTV give their customers their local regional sports networks. Since I'm in Texas I get Fox Sports Southwest. It's not a over the air channel. They haven't given me any of the feeds in HD yet tho

Quote:
If that's true then I'll be ditching Dish faster than Rick Tocchet on an illegal gambling scheme. But I want to see that actually happen first

Quote:
That's funny cuz it's true

BTW Bonzilla you wrote earlier that DTV has HD games every night broadcast on HD PPV channels, but someone else just wrote that it's 1 or 2 HD games every week. That's what Dish has. I'll probably call DTV or refer to their website this season to see the truth about that

Old
08-21-2007, 05:04 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
BTW Bonzilla you wrote earlier that DTV has HD games every night broadcast on HD PPV channels, but someone else just wrote that it's 1 or 2 HD games every week. That's what Dish has. I'll probably call DTV or refer to their website this season to see the truth about that
I would say most nights, however a lot of people probably miss it because DTv does not usually put the game info into the DTv guide until a day, or sometimes only a few hours before game time. Also, since it does not seem to be part of their mainstream programming, you may get different answers about the HD access channel games from the DTv cust ser people.. I think they basicly did it as an ad-hoc supplement to there currently skimpy HD channel selection..

On the the 2 open access HD channels, most nights (not all) DTv will feature 1 NHL game and 1 NBA game. Sometimes 1 NBA & 2 NHL games including the late Canadian Broadcast on Saturdays. Im not sure, but I think these games are made available to all HD package subscribers, not necessarily to CI or NBA pack subscribers. They also had/have concerts and other random sports & entertainment stuff in there as well.

All that said, I would expect things to probably be way different when the new DTv bird is turned on. In fact I just saw this morning before work that on channel 77, DTv is looping instructions for all subscribers on how to update there hardware for the HD onslaught to come, in their words "very soon"...There is even a new test channel set up for the new satellite on chanel 400-something.

Old
08-21-2007, 07:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I would say most nights, however a lot of people probably miss it because DTv does not usually put the game info into the DTv guide until a day, or sometimes only a few hours before game time.
That's so true and I'm one of them. Living in Cali I have to set my DVR before I go to work so it starts recording around 4. That must be why I miss the CI HD if they are placed on the 90's channels.

Quote:
On the the 2 open access HD channels, most nights (not all) DTv will feature 1 NHL game and 1 NBA game. Sometimes 1 NBA & 2 NHL games including the late Canadian Broadcast on Saturdays. Im not sure, but I think these games are made available to all HD package subscribers, not necessarily to CI or NBA pack subscribers.
I don't think its open to all HD people as I can't get the baseball games they show on there now as I don't have the MLB package. But then again who knows, D* could hate me.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 11:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Check the away feed out. All NC8 games were not blacked out on the away broadcast side.

Old
08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Well looks like Cox Cable in NOVA is going switched video in the next 30 days and supposedly will have 50 hidef channels by the end of this year...I'm really hoping CSNHD is one them, sigh

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6470803.html

Quote:
The technology should help Cox reach the HDTV goals set by president Pat Esser, who wants the multisystem operator to be able to offer at least 50 HD channels across all systems by the end of 2007 and then double that to 100 by the end of 2009.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 01:34 AM
TempusFugit

This thread is somewhat old, but just became re-relevant (if that word exists) when I was doing some research on how much HD NHL games that Dish Network will have this coming. I was thrown for a loop when I found that Dish might not have Center Ice at all this year. Apparently they are still negotiating (that in the words of Echostar CEO Charlie Ergen). Here's a thread detailing everything that's known about the situation:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...e-renewal.html

If you don't want to read the entire 18 pages of that thread, here's a summary:
Customer Service reps tell those who have called that it's not available for customers to order.Those who email get told that a deal is close and they expect it to be finalized soon. Dish Network has made space for 16 NHL HD channels on two of their satellites. 16!!!! ZOWIIEEE!!! Plus, the NHL Network in HD. But that doesn't mean jack**** if they don't come to an agreement, and the start of the actual regular season (excluding the UK games that are on HDNet and Versus) is only 12 days away. If Dish isn't showing Center Ice this season, wellllllll....Directv has a new subscriber

There's an HFBoards thread about it as well:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=10460878

Reading up on this subject in various places, it seems that not every cable system has come to an agreement for CI this year either

Last edited by TempusFugit: 09-21-2007 at 02:50 AM.