HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henke keeps his mask up this summer.

Old
08-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Stinkin' Root Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Is he supposed to get a new one? Honestly I hope he just keeps the old design. It's not really flashy but I love it for its simplicity
I only asked bc I haven't heard anything. I wasn't sure if he was gonna go for a completely new look after getting the new gear. On second thought, though, it's not like the pads are a big departure from last season's. It's mostly just a re-arranging of the colors with a newer model of Louisville's.

Stinkin' Root Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 08:15 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkin' Root Beer View Post
I only asked bc I haven't heard anything. I wasn't sure if he was gonna go for a completely new look after getting the new gear. On second thought, though, it's not like the pads are a big departure from last season's. It's mostly just a re-arranging of the colors with a newer model of Louisville's.
he could wear bright pink and yellow ones, and wear a jesters hat on his head so long as he plays like he did second half of last year!!!! i'd even lend him my woolly glove to catch with if he carries on being the Henke we know and love!!!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
The pressure is on during the games, but noone recognizes him when he walks his dog in Central Park. He can relax between the games, had he played for a team in hockey crazed Canada the pressure would have been different.
I wouldn't expect that to last forever.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 09:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
I wouldn't expect that to last forever.
I would. You'd be surprised how little hockey players (and celebrities in general) go unrecognized.

08-13-2007, 11:51 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I would. You'd be surprised how little hockey players (and celebrities in general) go unrecognized.
Well it's frikken New York City.
What is it, 8-9 million people? About the same as Hank's entire home country.

And hockey isn't the most popular sport to watch and follow.

Then add that there's more 'celebrities' of various kind in NYC than just athletes.

And finally, even if Hank can be regarded quite a hunk (as I've been told ), he's not exactly standing out in any way.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 12:00 PM
zacn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Playing style and talent sometimes get overshadowed by equipment. Brodeur's glovehand isn't amazing because of a Heaton glove. He tricks and draws shooters in with appearing to carry it too low and then snaps it up. Patrick Roy had a amazing ability to "give" the fivehole appearance to shooters before taking it away. But to answer you question directly, as goalies have trained with white pucks (starting w/ Trevor Kidd) to help their visual tracking, the increased contrast of a white pad allows the dark puck to be seen in either goal mouth scrums as well as tracking the pucks trajectory by seeing where on the pad it made contact. True advantage against white pads, not really. But a mitigating factor of making them truly superior.

Anecdotal accounts and general belief do not make fact. Two simple elements prove that the cosmetic design is least importance (following real issues like materials, fit, and design):

[/IMG]
Ah, now I see what you are saying. Yeah, I definitely agree that if there is an edge that a design could give it is mostly mental, whether there is a placebo effect in place or it is just a question of comfort. However, I am sure that it can and has been used to trick players, especially say if someone takes a one timer and has only been able to see the shape of the goalie in their peripheral sight before having to make a decision about puck placement on the shot. Any edge helps so I would personally prefer any ranger goalie to wear some sort of pattern with white.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 12:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Well it's frikken New York City.
What is it, 8-9 million people? About the same as Hank's entire home country.

And hockey isn't the most popular sport to watch and follow.

Then add that there's more 'celebrities' of various kind in NYC than just athletes.

And finally, even if Hank can be regarded quite a hunk (as I've been told ), he's not exactly standing out in any way.
That's my point. Not knocking Hank.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 02:18 PM
NYRSinceBirth

I don't know about you guys, but if I saw Henke in Central Park I'd recognize him. I prolly wouldn't bother him, just wave and let him know I know who he is, but nothing further. The fact that he can't wait to come back to NYC is music to my ears.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
This issue clearly boils down to an issue of carpenter and his tools. Color and design in my outright opinion are nothing more than talismans, not anything to truly and significantly impact performance.

It is very similar to the white tape/black tape debate for all other skaters. Does black tape hide/shield the puck from view, or does white tape blend into the ice, avoiding a stickcheck from an opposing defensemen.

Playing style and talent sometimes get overshadowed by equipment. Brodeur's glovehand isn't amazing because of a Heaton glove. He tricks and draws shooters in with appearing to carry it too low and then snaps it up. Patrick Roy had a amazing ability to "give" the fivehole appearance to shooters before taking it away. But to answer you question directly, as goalies have trained with white pucks (starting w/ Trevor Kidd) to help their visual tracking, the increased contrast of a white pad allows the dark puck to be seen in either goal mouth scrums as well as tracking the pucks trajectory by seeing where on the pad it made contact. True advantage against white pads, not really. But a mitigating factor of making them truly superior.

Anecdotal accounts and general belief do not make fact. Two simple elements prove that the cosmetic design is least importance (following real issues like materials, fit, and design):

1) If this theory was proven, there would be an overwhelming consensus in design used by ALL goaltenders. Carbon fiber sticks are desirable because of their weight and immense flex. And the players have adopted nearly as a whole because of their advantages. Despite similarities, there is not one definitive pad visual design, hence the limited impact it holds.

2) Roy, is mentioned a great deal regarding pad design. However, best known for that one Koho design with the 45 degree angle of white, he changed visual styles multiple times (even after this famed design). While it may appear to be an advantage on TV, it didn't stop him from changing designs (and believe me, Patrick Roy would have enough pull w/ Koho to sport any design he desired).

Great post!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 04:19 PM
VisionQuest*

without reading every detail on the pad debate (I was just interested in the hendrik update) I can say as a goalie myself, dark pads leave the advantage getting quicker whistles etc.
I use all white pads, next set will be all black, its really just about personal preference.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 08:25 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Family: Cohab/GF Therese Andersson and the dog Nova.
Stumbled over this:

Our Lord Saviour with Stars of Avalon Charming Capella aka Nova.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 01:46 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
its great to hear that he wants to come back to NYC- i have a feeling that he never wants to leave here
I'm always confused when anyone wants to leave the city, but that's just me.

Thanks to hdw for the translation. Not alot of new information, but a pleasant read none the less. And for some reason, I always enjoy reading interviews from swedish newspapers. Maybe it's all the articles I had to read for my one semester of swedish that developed that taste.

Last edited by xander: 08-19-2007 at 01:53 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
danroy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I believe it was Eric Lindros that said it was great being in NY because he would walk around the streets and into delis and nobody knew who he was.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 04:53 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Is he supposed to get a new one? Honestly I hope he just keeps the old design. It's not really flashy but I love it for its simplicity
When he played for Frölunda he changed design on his mask more often then he changed underwear.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote