HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things Peca (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Fish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Only thing that stood out was the fact that he was cleared to play the last game of the season but Toronto chose not to.
That seems to kind of go contrary (or at least be undermined) by Peca's comments about having been skating for the past 2.5 months. If he's only been skating for that long, then it implies that he wasn't skating at the time he was "cleared" to play.

Old
08-21-2007, 05:22 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Gotcha, and your correct, the Rangers are the top seed....

Check out your cap and you will know why Sather is wavering:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html
Sooo, who wants to explain it this time???

Old
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Nich

Quote:
Well, there might be other factors but your team is maxed out....that is a fact. I think there is some leeway with Shanahan, just sayin.....
well if you mean completely wrong when you say fact, then yes it is a fact......

Old
08-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Fish

Quote:
Well, there might be other factors but your team is maxed out....that is a fact. I think there is some leeway with Shanahan, just sayin.....
The Rangers cap number is actually closer to $48M with $3.1M in deferrable bonuses (due to Shanahan and Girardi) and Kasparaitis' $3M expected to be waived and sent to Hartford (therefore not counting against the cap). That gives them approximately 2.3 million in available cap space.

Old
08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
The Rangers cap number is actually closer to $48M with $3.1M in deferrable bonuses (due to Shanahan and Girardi) and Kasparaitis' $3M expected to be waived and sent to Hartford (therefore not counting against the cap). That gives them approximately 2.3 million in available cap space.
so 2.3 million equals maxed out

Old
08-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Sooo, who wants to explain it this time???
That's ok.... if there is a way your team can afford to get Peca and continue to sign players more power to the Rangers....most think the Rangers have spent all but the cost of doing the laundry....

I don't need people being nice rehashing past history.....

Old
08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old
08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
so 2.3 million equals maxed out
Unfortunately a site like nhlnumbers.com leads to many people jumping to conclusions because of the cap numbers they publish. As those of us who follow the team (or this forum) closely, individual team caps are much more complicated than what is published on that site.

Old
08-21-2007, 05:36 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
These people are so much hoping for The Rangers to be capped out that they refuse to see the facts.
They could - as I recently and very specifically pointed out - actually still sign Peca (to a reasonable deal with some bonus ladden incentives); trade Malik,Mara and Montoya for Jovanowski and Auld; send Kaspar to Hartford or trade him for lower prospect/pick, have a 23 man roster (including Hutchinsson or Dawes) AND STILL HAVE CAP SPACE AVAILABLE (although it is not much then)
Not that all this is preferable or going to happen (according to Eklund it will though) - just to point out that this is still possible cap-wise

So to say that New York now is capped out and so retardedly ignorant that it should be killed once and for all.

SO IGNORE THE MATH DROPOUTS PREACHING DOOMSDAY PROPHECIES REGARDING CAP SPACE. They can only read the bottom line at NHL.COM.

IF even that...

Old
08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
BBKers

Quote:
That's ok.... if there is a way your team can afford to get Peca and continue to sign players more power to the Rangers....most think the Rangers have spent all but the cost of doing the laundry....

I don't need people being nice rehashing past history.....
I did not intend to be nice

Old
08-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Per EK's blogger Alec Brownscombe, you can give me the history of EK if you want but it's not required.

Quote:
Michael Peca's agent, Don Meehan, reported on the Bill Watters Show earlier today that the Leafs are no longer in the Micheal Peca sweepstakes, and that its between the Rangers and Blue Jackets at this point, with Columbus the rumoured front-runner. Meehan says that his client is in the process of making the decision that's best for his hockey career and his family.
Family or hockey career?....well folks, when the career is nearly over but the family continues I pick Columbus...

You folks are tough but if Columbus lands Peca it will be sweet......just to get him over you. If not we move on to Markov......

Last edited by Robert: 08-21-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old
08-21-2007, 05:57 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Per EK's blogger Alec Brownscombe, you can give me the history of EK if you want but it's not required.

Family or hockey career?....well folks, when the career is nearly over but the family continues I pick Columbus...

You folks are tough but if Columbus lands Peca it will be sweet......just to get him over you. If not we move on to Markov......
Take him. We will get Markov

Old
08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Nich

Quote:

)
nothing like admitting you don't intend to challenge for a cup....

Old
08-21-2007, 06:10 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:

at least you admit your team is going no where..yawn

Old
08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Take him. We will get Markov
That's what I'd do.....as far as my errors in your cap I stand corrected, my error......

But ya know what, 2.3 million on the books in March may come in handy.....

Old
08-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
nothing like admitting you don't intend to challenge for a cup....
The cup! Are you serious, an 8th seed would be the cup for us....

Old
08-21-2007, 06:13 PM
BBKers

Quote:
The cup! Are you serious, an 8th seed would be the cup for us....
I hope - for the sake of it - that you guys make the 8th seed
It would not at all be upsetting

I also hope you sign Mike Peca

Old
08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
danroy33

Quote:

In the entire interview they never said the second team was Columbus. Additionally, there is not one rumor that puts Columbus as the front runner. He was on Long Island, he knows New York. For a one-year deal, might as well not need to adapt. For his family, New York is closer to Buffalo than Columbus. Again, it is a one-year deal, why throw a year away with a program that can't challenge for a championship? This is what we call leverage. You can't bargain without another offer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see Columbus. If he does, than I am happy for him and the Blue Jackets fans. If you feel he is a savior or first line player then so be it.

Old
08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Fish

Quote:
That's what I'd do.....as far as my errors in your cap I stand corrected, my error......

But ya know what, 2.3 million on the books in March may come in handy.....
Well whether they have 2.3 million or not remains to be seen. If Montoya ends up playing over Valiquette (seems unlikely) that's about another million they'd lose in cap room...and Marc Staal is expected to play over one of the cheaper d-men which would probably add another 400k. They could also use that space to absorb some of the bonus money so it doesn't carry over to next season.

BTW, Peca's bonuses can be deferred too because he played fewer than 40 games as a veteran last year (due to injury).

Old
08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by danroy33 View Post
For his family, New York is closer to Buffalo than Columbus.
Actually...according to maps.google.com, Columbus is 65 miles (and 1 hour 18 minutes) closer than New York City to Buffalo

Old
08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Linden just signed with the Nucks, so any crazy thought of Sather doing a 180 for him is out the window.
Thank Goodness! Id Rather drag Messier out of retirement that Sign Linden, or Peca.
let one of these kids fight it out for the spot, we can always fill a need @ the trade deadline if we have a need.

Old
08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Well whether they have 2.3 million or not remains to be seen. If Montoya ends up playing over Valiquette (seems unlikely) that's about another million they'd lose in cap room...and Marc Staal is expected to play over one of the cheaper d-men which would probably add another 400k. They could also use that space to absorb some of the bonus money so it doesn't carry over to next season.

BTW, Peca's bonuses can be deferred too because he played fewer than 40 games as a veteran last year (due to injury).
The suttle rules of the cap are not easy to follow, that one is an example. What I see happening (as we speak) is Columbus offering a contract the Rangers can't match..... a two year contract for 1.8mln....the incentives are only good for a one year contract. And the internal budget of Columbus can afford 1.8 mln/per for two years.

If I where Sather I'd be looking at next year's Rangers cap as well.....how is Lundqvists money doing?

Old
08-21-2007, 06:25 PM
The Thomas J.*

Here is the the deal with Peca, he could sign with the #30th ranked team in the leauge, if he plays well enough to Great there will be a ton of intrest for him @ the trade deadline, An asset like that could,should & would be dealt to a contender, he is just gonna have to deal for the time being & actually put an effort into his play & show up everynight.

Old
08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

There we have it, over the 1,000 limit and he wasn't signed yet.

Closed

Closed Thread