HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline Review

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2004, 08:27 AM
joechip

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmon
In my world it is... Do tell... you actually believe Satan shows up to play night in and night out? Gimme a break. The guy coasted half the season and only decided to play to try to get traded. I'll bet you a wooden nickel that he scores only 2 more goals for the rest of the season. He didn't get traded, so he is gonna pout for the rest of our games. He is NOT the blue collar, "work for every dollar earned," kind of guy this community gravitates toward. He is a prima donna and he is SOFT.
Really looked like he was pouting last night...! I hadn't seen him skate that hard all season. And your original statement was how Regier should have .unequivocably. traded Satan. That's plain stupid and wrong. If it does the organization no good to trade him now for players that won't help this team down the stretch (picks and propects) then don't trade him. Apparently he and Regier sat down, talked it over and tried to work things out.

Bob clarke offered Seidenberg and VanderMeer, two injured guys, and Regier said no. Gagne or no deal, which is the right response. Seidenberg and Vendermeer will be available at the draft table. The point is that this is still about your personal bias against Miro and not about what is good for the organization. And, btw, I'll expect you to not only put up that wooden nickel if Satan scores more than two goals between now and the end of the season I'll expect you to eat it for dinner along with your words.

Your conviction that Satan is as good as his name is what bothers me, there's no real basis for it other than your .personal. bias.

Ta,

Last edited by joechip: 03-11-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old
03-11-2004, 08:28 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Varada became expedable when it was clear the sabres would win last year without him (during his injury). I personally see Mair is being a Varada toughness replacement. Did we all forget that trade? Where's Rasmussen and what has he done? Also, I REALLY don't see the Varada/Greir comparison. To me they are different players.

If you're going to talk about treading water, let's talk about Warriners play in bflo since he had come back from his injury, which was like watching someone tread water. The guy may have had toughness, but this wouldn't show up all that much in a sabres uni for whatever reason, to the point where he admited it.

What use were these players to us. Do folks really think we would be the same team in the same place with these players still on the roster? If all Regeirs moves yesterday were lateral at best, then shouldn't we be looking at the 5th overall pick next year right about now?

I'll admit that I am disappointed that nothing was done about the goaltending, but what have the options been? Aside from perhaps what Potvin did this year in Boston, what choices are(where) there without taking on $5 million or so? Certainly you could deal Nornene/Miller for someone, but for who and at what risk?
If the ability to win without a player is a legitimate criteria to deal him, then we should have gotten rid of Hasek after Shields finished off Ottawa. It also means we should get rid of Hecht. I wasn't too upset when Varada got dealt because Klepis could have turned into something special; I don't have the same information that scouts do. When he was dealt for Grier, it basically was a V for Grier swap. I'd rather have V. He's better defensively, the same physically, and an agitator that Grier isn't.

These moves could be lateral, given enough young players develop. I miss Warrener, because this roster needed toughness and RD. For the time being, we've dealt with both issues.

The smart move with goaltending would have been to get a player for Biron a while ago. It's not necessary that he needed to do it at the deadline. He should have done it when Biron was hot.

The most upseting thing with the deadline is that we had a chance to get Morris and Regier didn't go after him.

Old
03-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
If the ability to win without a player is a legitimate criteria to deal him, then we should have gotten rid of Hasek after Shields finished off Ottawa. It also means we should get rid of Hecht. I wasn't too upset when Varada got dealt because Klepis could have turned into something special; I don't have the same information that scouts do. When he was dealt for Grier, it basically was a V for Grier swap. I'd rather have V. He's better defensively, the same physically, and an agitator that Grier isn't.

These moves could be lateral, given enough young players develop. I miss Warrener, because this roster needed toughness and RD. For the time being, we've dealt with both issues.

The smart move with goaltending would have been to get a player for Biron a while ago. It's not necessary that he needed to do it at the deadline. He should have done it when Biron was hot.

The most upseting thing with the deadline is that we had a chance to get Morris and Regier didn't go after him.

People keep keying on that Morris thing. If he was there for the having he'd be in a sabres uni, plain in simple. Regeir talked to close to every team in the league, you can't tell me that Morris' name didn't come up. We just did not have what COL was looking for.

As for Varada, I was somewhat disappointed that he left, but the guy did nothing to improve our chances of winning last year. Sure he's an agitator and Grier isn't, but any other comparison ends there. From listening to the WAS feed last night, I get the impression that there is more leadership upside to Grier than Varada would have ever been able to contribute, he also can put the puck in the net. As far as defensive trade-off, I think you're underestimating Grier. Finally, Varada is injured, was injured for a long period before the trade and is looking more and more injury prone. Grier and Varada just aren't the same type of player, of course Grier did nothing to help out this arguement by donning #25.

Old
03-11-2004, 09:20 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

In my world it is... Do tell... you actually believe Satan shows up to play night in and night out? Gimme a break. The guy coasted half the season and only decided to play to try to get traded. I'll bet you a wooden nickel that he scores only 2 more goals for the rest of the season. He didn't get traded, so he is gonna pout for the rest of our games. He is NOT the blue collar, "work for every dollar earned," kind of guy this community gravitates toward. He is a prima donna and he is SOFT.[/QUOTE]

Damn to bad we didnt trade Satan...that 2nd round pick would have got us a hatrick last nite and probably kicked some ass !

Old
03-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
He is NOT the blue collar, "work for every dollar earned," kind of guy this community gravitates toward. He is a prima donna and he is SOFT.
And he's not a "it's who you know, not what you know or even how well you do it" guy either. That is also what this community gravitates toward, even more so than earning every dollar.

He had a good game, made some nice plays including setting up Kalinin on their first goal.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:55 PM
gmon

Fellas, I will be the first one to ask you to "pass the salt" so I can eat my words if my predictions don't come to pass. I hope I am wrong, but please remember, this was the first game... and - it was against the AHL Capitals.

Old
03-11-2004, 02:07 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmon
Fellas, I will be the first one to ask you to "pass the salt" so I can eat my words if my predictions don't come to pass. I hope I am wrong, but please remember, this was the first game... and - it was against the AHL Capitals.
Fair enough.

Ta,

Closed Thread