HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting Free Sticks or Using Warranty to Get Replacement Sticks

Old
08-21-2007, 12:14 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy0314 View Post
that is 100% true. The sticks cost next to nothing to make, and next to nothing to import. They are literally made right accross the border.

One of the reasons that sticks cost so much is because for every OPS that breaks, there are 20 other ones sold that last years. I have an ST that is 3 years old. I think I paid $140 for it, but over three years thats less then $50 in hockey stick a year. Most of the people who buy the sticks, buy them, and then dont spend any money on a stick for quite some time.
I think you are forgetting or leaving out the operating costs of the company and the plant that makes them.

Yeah, you could say it only costs them x amount to manufacture a stick. But developing it and bring it to market are costs that need to be figured in.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 04:22 PM
SiouxPride

.... this is nuts, i mean you ahve 200 for a stick.. good for you, buy it, but dont complain your ass of if it breaks, i mean, if there s ablank nit he stick, the tape peels off the blade like said before, then ok, repalce it complain w/e, but if ti breaks form common use, or screwing around trying to hit a rat or sotmhing with, it, tough ****, your fault. I buy sticks i can afford, nothing more then 200, woudl i buy, probally even less.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperateblue View Post
Sorry guys but if you really think a few hundread scammed sticks per year are the reason these things cost 150+ then your as naive as these companies had hoped.
Your conclusions are as flawed as your estimate of the number of scammed sticks.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 02:12 PM
desperateblue

The number of sticks is completely irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the final costs to us. The price in the store is marked up a few 100% by the manufacturer the wholesaler, the supplier and then finally the sports store.
I have a close friend who works for one of the newer companies and he sells to stores for $80 but he will sell them to me for $40.He says that is cost but it has to be even less then that.
If you can afford them great all the power to ya.

Last edited by desperateblue: 08-22-2007 at 05:03 PM.
desperateblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
stick9

Quote:
The number of sticks is completely irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the final costs to us. The price in the store is marked up a few 100% by the manufacturer the wholesaler, the supplier and then finally the sports store.
I have a close friend who works for one of the newer companies and he sells to stores for $80 but he will sell them to me for $40.He says that is cost but it has to be even less then that.
If you can afford them great all the power to ya.In fact I love watching all you rich guys clog up the ice with your fancy gear anyway.
A close friend tells you they cost $40 and you don't believe him? Curious as to why. He's on the inside and privy to info you aren't.

If he's selling them to you he has to be getting them a cost. If not, your close friend is ripping you off. In that case, I hope he buys the beer when you guys are out.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
desperateblue

I believe my friend does get them for $40 what I meant was Im sure whoever he gets them from is making at least $10 per stick too so the cost is probably somewhere near $20-30.
And this guy isnt stealing them he is a sales rep.His uncle owns the company.
BTW 95% of the sticks returned under warranty are repaired or recut and reprocessed.

Old
08-22-2007, 05:48 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
I believe my friend does get them for $40 what I meant was Im sure whoever he gets them from is making at least $10 per stick too so the cost is probably somewhere near $20-30.
And this guy isnt stealing them he is a sales rep.His uncle owns the company.
BTW 95% of the sticks returned under warranty are repaired or recut and reprocessed.
How can you say the number of sticks has nothing to do with the cost? If Easton sells 100 sticks, and 40% are returned they need to make 140 sticks. If 5% are returned, they make 105. Those are extra sticks that could have been sold, but are instead used as warranty replacements. They aren't free, they cost money. Your friends company may reproduce broken sticks, but I have never heard of a major company doing so.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
ModSquad

You guys are funny.

It doesn't cost Easton $7 to make a SyNergy. The first ones were T-Flex fuse jobs since they already had the components. That being said, it is much more than that. I know the number.

What it boils down to, is that getting receipts for sticks is fraud. Asking your shop buddies for receipts is also fraud - the manufacturers know how many sticks that store booked and if more sticks are coming back than were originally booked, they'll go after the shop. I've seen it happen to a competitor of mine back in the day - got his accounts pulled.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
How can you say the number of sticks has nothing to do with the cost? If Easton sells 100 sticks, and 40% are returned they need to make 140 sticks. If 5% are returned, they make 105. Those are extra sticks that could have been sold, but are instead used as warranty replacements. They aren't free, they cost money. Your friends company may reproduce broken sticks, but I have never heard of a major company doing so.
What your saying makes sense, but then how come Easton is so easy going with replacing sticks that weren't broken due to a manufacture defect.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
barfy2000

Huh? I've only seen the cost of sticks going down. Sure there are still hella-expensive high end models, but around here you can easily get a good OPS for < $100

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
desperateblue

I will agree to disagree with some of you guys on here. I dont want to get into an into an internet argument over such an unimportant topic.
If you can afford to buy 200 sticks great have fun em.If you cant dont worry about it they dont make that much of a difference anyway. Besides your better off spending any extra money on skates anyway.

Old
08-22-2007, 10:12 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
What your saying makes sense, but then how come Easton is so easy going with replacing sticks that weren't broken due to a manufacture defect.
It's better than a PR nightmare.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 06:36 PM
MikeD

The most amazing part of the whole thing....most of these rec/beer league guys playing hockey will not shoot more accurately or harder with the OPS or Composite shafts. They would get the same performance from a wood at about 1/4 the cost and have no concerns about breaking them. Most of the youngsters at Bantam Minor and down do not have the weight, technique or strength to use the Composite to its full advantage. Most of these players both old and young would probably shoot more effectively with a good Ol' wood.

There is a lot of truth to the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote