HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Nashville a Playoff team?

Old
08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
fogducker

vCash: 500
Is Nashville a Playoff team?

Where do you think the Preds will finish this year? Do you guys see this year as a rebuilding year or do you see your team as a lock as a playoff team and possibly a cup contender..

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We're not as talented this year for sure but we're a better built team.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
fogducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We're not as talented this year for sure but we're a better built team.
but.. do you see your team making the playoffs this year?

Old
08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes and I see us as a better playoff team than last season.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 02:34 PM
braindead

I would say:

Likely to make the playoffs
Not a lock to make the playoffs
Unlikely to be a cup contender but likely to make the playoffs.

This team is underrated because people focus on the departures and our summer circumstances. It's a bit like predicting the Senators were doomed after losing Havlat and Chara and Hasek without considering what was left.

Our goalie is very good, our top 6 is great, our D is solid, our 3rd line is better built and our 4th is sufficient. My biggest concern is depth at F and G. If Sully is done, if Mason gets hurt, if any of two of our Top 6 are out for an extended period of time.... then we have more trouble. Last year we had the luxury of Hartnell, Rads and even Forsberg on the 3rd line at times. We had Mason as a capable backup that saved us when TV had his freak break. The two other big keys for us: Rads has to emerge as a scoring threat and Mason has to deal with the "true #1" status and maintain consistently solid play.

Again, I think this team is underrated, along with the Blues and to a lesser extent the Blue Jackets. It will be a tougher division so getting points will be harder.

I agree, though, that this team could be better built for the playoffs.

I would predict a 5th to 7th place finish. (with a margin of error from 3rd to 9th).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We are very much a playoff team. The only thing that could ruin us is a complete regression from Mason back to waiver days....Then again, things like that can bury ANY team in the league. On paper we are not as deep offensively, but we are built better and should compete better (especially with Peterson running the PP).

08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think we're a more balanced team than in the past two seasons, we won't need to rely on our offense and hope to win games 6-5 anymore. That said, we're not as deep, and we're relying on the continued breakout of three players in particular: Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, and Alex Radulov. Hamhuis is becoming a "veteran," and I hope to see some leadership from him this year on the back-end.

In a way, I think that losing Vokoun and Timonen isn't really all that bad, given their play last year, which wasn't awful but also wasn't what we counted on them for.

In short, I really don't know. A lot of question marks...IF Sullivan stays healthy, IF Peterson straightens out the power play, IF Mason continues his level of play, IF the youngsters step up, IF Legwand and Erat build on their career years from last season...

It will be fun, if nothing else. I look forward to the underdog status that used to drive us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

You guys will do well, solid 2nd behind Detroit. St. Louis will coast into third, and Chicago and my Jackets will duke it out for 4 and 5. Jackets stay healthy they won't be an easy 16 points for you this year, but they are still probably a year away, even with Peca.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

I definetely think that NASH can be a play-off team. Definetely not a lock though with relatively unproven goaltending and Sullivan's back still acting up.

I do think there is a chance the team will be better than last year. There are a lot of young guys who could bust out, and the team is built better IMO. There's a real 3rd line with guys on it that want to fill that role.

IMO, the Pred's keys to the season:
1) Health (definetely less NHL ready depth if a scoring line forward goes down)
2) Goaltending
3) Young player development

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
You guys will do well, solid 2nd behind Detroit. St. Louis will coast into third, and Chicago and my Jackets will duke it out for 4 and 5. Jackets stay healthy they won't be an easy 16 points for you this year, but they are still probably a year away, even with Peca.
I think they will be a lot closer this year than you expect (Jackets). The coaching and general manager changes are worth 10 points in my book over the course of a full season (in comparison to what this team has had).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 05:57 PM
handtrick

We have 2 brutal road trips early between Oct 17 and Nov 7....one to the West Coast and the other to Western Canada, Chicago, and Detroit.

1] If Sully is not ready to go, and his timetable gets put back to Thanksgiving or Christmas....we will be hosed and will struggle all year just to be in the running for a playoff spot.

2] The other variables of Mason continuing his play and the youngsters [Radulov, Suter, Hamhuis, and Weber] continuing to make steady, gains....can't be overlooked.

3] Peterson's influence on the PP.....

4] Which Zidlicky will we see......

5] Legwand and Erat's ability to produce without the influence of Kariya, especially early......I think Kariya made them much better players than most people are willing to acknowledge

I am most concerned about #1 and #5, to be honest.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 09:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
We have 2 brutal road trips early between Oct 17 and Nov 7....one to the West Coast and the other to Western Canada, Chicago, and Detroit.

1] If Sully is not ready to go, and his timetable gets put back to Thanksgiving or Christmas....we will be hosed and will struggle all year just to be in the running for a playoff spot.

2] The other variables of Mason continuing his play and the youngsters [Radulov, Suter, Hamhuis, and Weber] continuing to make steady, gains....can't be overlooked.

3] Peterson's influence on the PP.....

4] Which Zidlicky will we see......

5] Legwand and Erat's ability to produce without the influence of Kariya, especially early......I think Kariya made them much better players than most people are willing to acknowledge

I am most concerned about #1 and #5, to be honest.

1 yes, but I continue to disagree with you about 5. Erat...maybe a little...but Legwand, I wholly disagree. We'll see, though.

Old
08-22-2007, 10:06 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
1 yes, but I continue to disagree with you about 5. Erat...maybe a little...but Legwand, I wholly disagree. We'll see, though.
Got to go with NMK on #5. PK couldn't put away a pass from Legwand to save his life. Stick Radu on that line and the two playmakers will have their snipper.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:49 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
health is the key, plain and simple.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Jarnberg

I agree with alot said above.

I don't think we're a lock for the playoffs by any means. There are a ton of factors that will influence that.

Can our young players step up with the new roles? Can Weber handle not having Timonen there? Can Radulov handle being thrown out against better lines and also avoid the sophomore slump? Can Hamhuis and Suter continue to develop their game?

Can Mason prove to be effective against Playoff teams instead of picking up almost all his wins against Non-Playoff teams?

Can Sullivan bounce back from his injury? If we do make the playoffs, will Sullivan show up?

Can Erat or Legwand step it up after players now start to focus on them instead of Paul Kariya?

Can our PP not only improve, but also start to get goals when we really need them? How many times last year were we given a PP that could have won or tied up a game in the third period and we blew it?

Obviously every team has questions going into a season; we're not the only team facing them. We've lost Timonen, who has been an incredible player for us. His offensive ability will be missed. Sure, everyone can assume that Weber will immediately fill his shoes, but those are big shoes to fill offensively. We've lost Hartnell, one of the lone players on our team who wasn't afraid to get in front of the goal. We've lost Kariya, a guy who hasn't missed a game in two seasons and has put up 85 and 76 point seasons for us; those points aren't easily made up. And Vokoun, well, everyone knows what we are losing in Vokoun.

I like our direction in having a clear cut purpose for our third line, which I think will be a benefit to our team.

I think our downfall might be injuries again. We aren't deep enough to handle injuries.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 08-23-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
We are hardly a lock for anything, based solely on the turnover. But I do think this has the potential to be the best Predators team yet. It seems much more suited for the last month of the regular season and the playoffs.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
flannelman
They're,Their,There

vCash: 920
An Outsiders Perspective.

You have a good, young D that for the most part is solid.

Mason has shown that he can get it done.

There is still plenty of talent up front: Sully (when healthy) is a point per game guy and I hope he has a great year, Legwand and the under-rated Erat, Arnott isn't too bad and Radulov should get more time.

I think you could use a little bit more offensive power, but I don't worry about your two-way play or your D or your goaltending.

You've lost some big guys with Karyia, Hartnel and Timmonen, but I see no reason why this team would be lower than 10th in the west.

Are you guys still under the Cap Minimum?

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 10:32 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
We've lost Timonen, who has been an incredible player for us. His offensive ability will be missed. Sure, everyone can assume that Weber will immediately fill his shoes, but those are big shoes to fill offensively.
stranger,
I agree with most of what you said in your post, but wanted to bring up one point.

You are right, that alot of fans are expecting Weber to make up for timonen's departure....but in fact, they are two totally different type of players.
Timonen was a quarterback-type of offensive dman with his main responsiblity of getting the puck to who and where it belongs.
Weber is the canon....much more in the Sooray or Phaneuf mold than Timonen.

The person that is key here is Zidlicky....his role will be to assume what Kimmo did, so in fact, people should be thinking about whether Zids can fill Kimmo's shoes, not whether Weber will fill them.

Old
08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post

Are you guys still under the Cap Minimum?
We are over the cap minimum at this point, but moves still must be made as we have 7 dmen under one way contracts, and another who won't clear waivers if we send him down.

We also have 14 forwards on one way contracts [well, really Rads is on a two way, but won't be sent down].....Poile/Trotz likes to keep 13, so if Sully is ready to go at opening night [which I have my serious doubts], then a move on the forward front may be needed.

Old
08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
stranger,
I agree with most of what you said in your post, but wanted to bring up one point.

You are right, that alot of fans are expecting Weber to make up for timonen's departure....but in fact, they are two totally different type of players.
Timonen was a quarterback-type of offensive dman with his main responsiblity of getting the puck to who and where it belongs.
Weber is the canon....much more in the Sooray or Phaneuf mold than Timonen.

The person that is key here is Zidlicky....his role will be to assume what Kimmo did, so in fact, people should be thinking about whether Zids can fill Kimmo's shoes, not whether Weber will fill them.
Spot on. Zids is the real key for the puck moving, puck distribution role. I actually think there is a great chance we see him revert to form this year. His last year seemed like one where he was somewhat lost in his role. He still is one of the slickest passing D-men that I've seen-- better than Kimmo-- and this is his chance to step up big time.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Can Sullivan bounce back from his injury? If we do make the playoffs, will Sullivan show up?
He is 0-3 thus far (even when he has been on the ice he has been ineffective). Lets hope he goes 1-4.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 12:04 PM
fogducker

If the Preds don't look like playoff contenders by trade deadline, who will be traded?

Dumont?
Legwand?
Erat?
Sullivan?
a defenceman?

Old
08-23-2007, 12:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
If the Preds don't look like playoff contenders by trade deadline, who will be traded?

Dumont?
Legwand?
Erat?
Sullivan?
a defenceman?
Of those group...MAYBE Dumont and Sullivan...and almost definitely Gelinas. I highly doubt Legwand or Erat would be traded.

But I don't see us being "out of it" by the deadline, so...

Old
08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
fogducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Of those group...MAYBE Dumont and Sullivan...and almost definitely Gelinas. I highly doubt Legwand or Erat would be traded.

But I don't see us being "out of it" by the deadline, so...
how much would Sullivan cost

Old
08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
how much would Sullivan cost
Too hard to judge that now. It all depends on the teams who would be 'in it' at the time and what their needs were.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote