HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT; some George St-Pierre news

Old
08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
As a casual observer I can understand if that's the case. Being in martial arts most of my life, you learn to appreciate the technical parts of successful ground work.
Personally i love ground work as well even though i prefer when the 2 fighters stand up and dishes punches and kicks.

Ground work in MMA is almost a form of art.At least that's how i see it

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Personally i love ground work as well even though i prefer when the 2 fighters stand up and dishes punches and kicks.

Ground work in MMA is almost a form of art.At least that's how i see it
Couldn't agree with you more. I like seeing some of the fancy kicks and punches, once in awhile though. Gonzaga on Cro-Crop is a good example for me.

But watching a fighter with excellent ground work is more impressive. It's more of a strain on your body and it takes a lot of patience to be successful at it. When I watched Couture ground and pound big Tim Silvia, I was in amazement.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. I like seeing some of the fancy kicks and punches, once in awhile though. Gonzaga on Cro-Crop is a good example for me.

But watching a fighter with excellent ground work is more impressive. It's more of a strain on your body and it takes a lot of patience to be successful at it. When I watched Couture ground and pound big Tim Silvia, I was in amazement.
The guy that made me appreciate ground work was Royce Gracie in the early days of UFC.

He was absolutely amazing

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
The guy that made me appreciate ground work was Royce Gracie in the early days of UFC.

He was absolutely amazing
I've been a fan of the whole Gracie clan for years. The whole family are definitely pioneers in the business. I was actually quite shocked though when Hughes beat Royce last year.

Old
08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Pat H

Boxing and MMA are great sports and I for one am glad that I can see both. All the folks that bash one or the other are just fools. They are both great old as time combat sports that exhibit many of the same features in athleticism, sportsmanship, training and discipline.

It's like putting down a red ferrari becaue you think that yellow ones go faster.

Pat H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Boxing and MMA are great sports and I for one am glad that I can see both. All the folks that bash one or the other are just fools. They are both great old as time combat sports that exhibit many of the same features in athleticism, sportsmanship, training and discipline.

It's like putting down a red ferrari becaue you think that yellow ones go faster.
I agree with you Pat H, but everyone's allowed to have an opinion. That's what makes it interesting about coming here, not everyone thinks alike.

Old
08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Depends on what division you watch. The heavy weight division in boxing bores the hell outta me. But I've seen some very good middle weight fights recently.
Agreed. Gatti vs Ward were as entertaining as a fight can be....but not many fights are as good. MMA offers much more entertaining fights.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Agreed. Gatti vs Ward were as entertaining as a fight can be....but not many fights are as good. MMA offers much more entertaining fights.
Were definitely on the same page here Shabs. I have seen some crappy MMA fights, but that is pretty rare.

Old
08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
More than likely.
Cool, I'll look for a guy with a weird blue suit and big huge ass sword..

As for the fight card itself, I think GSP will defeat Koschek. I'm a big fan of him but I was disapointed in his latest performance even if he got the decision against Sanchez. He's a very good wrestler but GSP's striking game is unmatched.. unless he chokes like last time, but I doubt it. GSP has everything to be the greatest welterweight champion of all time but he needs to work on his mental toughness. He's a very humble and nice guy and he seems intimidated or very nervous before his matches. If he had Côté's attitude to go with his talent, this guy would be unbeatable.

Couture-Gonzaga: I really hope Couture retain his title against Gonzaga but I was very impressed with that way he demolished Crocop. It's like it was a lucky punch (like Serra vs GSP in the first minute) he beat him standing up, then beat him on the ground, then on their feet again before just creaming the kickboxing king with an unbelievable kick to the temple. Couture has a way to prepare a game plan and follow it to perfection. This guy finds a way to win everytime. So I'll say we're going to have a new champion so Couture can impress me again. He's my hero!!

Kendall will destroy Patrick Côté. I'm sorry but Côté has the talk, the attitude but lacks the killer instinct to finish his opponents once they're in trouble. Kendall has more heart and determination than anyone I've ever seen in MMA. He should win in the first round.

I say Huerta will give Crane his first defeat but this match should be a Dandy.

I think Babalu shoudn't have any trouble winning either. This guy is very good against average opponents but lacks something to be a top fighter.

If Frank Mir can get his act together he could be a challenger to the title soon. I think Dana gave him a nice easy opponent to get his confidence back.... but it doesn't always work that way in MMA.

And lastly Joe Daddy Stevenson will win against Pellegrino.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 02:30 PM
OnePoll*

Quote:
How is the UFC gay?

Boxing is much much much more boring. It's like comparing Baseball to Hockey.
Don't be ignorant.

I'm not watching those 270lbs heavyweight fighting, I agree with you its much more boring.

Mickey Ward vs Arturo Gatti

All Roy Jones Jr. fights, Oscar de la Hoya, Bernard Hopkins, watching old Roberto Duran or Ray Robinson fights or Marvin Hagler. Even Mike Tyson and the "Real Deal" Holyfield was great to watch. (We can also add Lewis)

And right now we can say that in Quebec we got a very deep and talented poll of boxers.

I said UFA is gay, because I don't like watching two men making the spoon in a middle of a ring. In the most fight I've seen its two men, rubbing together trying to land vicious elbows on the opponent.

I know people will don't like me for that statement, but put a world champion boxer like Klitschko against any UFC boxers, or Mikkel Kessler, Arthur Abraham or Mayweather Jr nobody will stand a second.

I like the combinason of speed, power, mental game of the boxe.

And for the user who said boxer wear gloves big like Oprah, they don't have the choice, if not, we would have 4-5 corpse on the ring per year.

Put a top pound for pound boxer without glove against a UFC fighters and I don't think the UFC fighters will stand in the ring a lot of time if the boxer connect with a haymaker.

Last edited by OnePoll*: 08-23-2007 at 02:36 PM.
OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepoll View Post
Don't be ignorant.

I'm not watching those 270lbs heavyweight fighting, I agree with you its much more boring.

All Roy Jones Jr. fights, Oscar de la Hoya, Bernard Hopkins, watching old Roberto Duran or Ray Robinson fights or Marvin Hagler. Even Mike Tyson and the "Real Deal" Holyfield was great to watch. (We can also add Lewis)

And right now we can say that in Quebec we got a very deep and talented poll of boxers.

I said UFA is gay, because I don't like watching two men making the spoon in a middle of a ring. In the most fight I've seen its two men, rubbing together trying to land vicious elbows on the opponent.

I know people will don't like me for that statement, but put a world champion boxer like Klitschko against any UFC boxers, or Mikkel Kessler, Arthur Abraham or Mayweather Jr nobody will stand a second.

And for the user who said boxer wear gloves big like Oprah, they don't have the choice, if not, we would have 4-5 corpse on the ring per year.

Put a top pound for pound boxer without glove against a UFC fighters and I don't think the UFC fighters will stand in the ring a lot of time if the boxer connect with a haymaker.
I've never heard of an MMA fight described in this way before. I don't know what your watching...but I've watched a ton of MMA matches and I've never seen two Men making the spoon as you so nicely put it.

As for putting a top boxer against a top MMA. True a good boxer might be able to knock out a good MMA fighter with a haymaker. But a good MMA fighter would not let a boxer come close enough to him to be able to throw one.

Edit: But I do agree with you, watching guys like Jones, De La Hoya, Hopkins, Duran, Hagler and old Tyson fights were very damn exciting to watch. If you want to go old school, I would even throw in some Sugar Ray fights.

Old
08-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepoll View Post
Don't be ignorant.

No offense, but I dont think you have any clue what you're talking about.

As a boxer, I think any MMA fighter of the same quality in relation to his sport would beat me pretty easily. I basically have one option, while he has many. You sound like many of the boxer analysts who just can't gripe with the reality that MMA will take over boxing as the number 1 fighting sport.

I also agree with Shabs, the average boxing fight compared to the average MMA fight is like comparing Baseball to hockey in terms of excitement.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote