HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Old Mission Blade Holder

Old
08-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Old Mission Blade Holder

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you knew of a place where I could get my hands on a pair of size 12 blade holders from the old Mission Flyweight skates, like the one's featured on these:

http://www.sk8.co.nz/Mission-Flyweig...-P2260C23.aspx

I really loved the feel that the "torsion" rod gave these skates, but I can't seem to find any in my size on any of the equipment sites.

While we're on the topic of old Mission stuff, I would pay a ton of cash if I could get a new pair of the 3-finger gloves Mission produced in the early 2000s. I blew mine out long ago and haven't had a pair of gloves as good since...

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Jeffw-13

Mission stopped making those because the torsion bar made the holder too stiff and made the steel break. If you really want a set your best bet is probably to watch ebay and buy a pair of skates with those holders and take the holders off & have them re-mounted on yours. The older Mission skates are usually cheaper than a new pair of holders anyways.

For the record, most people who know what they're talking about will tell you that Mission's new Pitch 3 holder is the best holder/steel combo on the market.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw-13 View Post
Mission stopped making those because the torsion bar made the holder too stiff and made the steel break. If you really want a set your best bet is probably to watch ebay and buy a pair of skates with those holders and take the holders off & have them re-mounted on yours. The older Mission skates are usually cheaper than a new pair of holders anyways.

For the record, most people who know what they're talking about will tell you that Mission's new Pitch 3 holder is the best holder/steel combo on the market.

I haven't had the pleasure of skating on a pitch 3 yet. I've been stuck using an older style prolite chassis for awhile and it just really isn't cutting it.

Interesting to know about that torsion bar. Thanks.

Old
08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
ModSquad

Too bad PITCH is gone next year

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Almost anything will be stiffer than the old prolite. Personally, if I had the choice of anything I'd go with either a pitch 3 or a LS2.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Synergy27

Have any of you guys tried the T-blade system? I was thinking about converting an old pair over to these but it just seems too gimmicky to be any good...

Old
08-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Jeffw-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Have any of you guys tried the T-blade system? I was thinking about converting an old pair over to these but it just seems too gimmicky to be any good...
I don't use them but my understanding is that if you don't have a good sharpener in your area then they're a good option but that most people who have converted to them end up going back to conventional steel. This from a couple shop owners.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
I started using them at the beginning of spring/summer hocky and really like them so far. Do a search and you'll find multiple threads about them. You will find that people either hate them or love them.
I like the consistency, everytime I step on the ice the skates feel the same. They are lighter than convential blades and IMHO glide better. My runners lasted me all summer season, whereas with convential blades I would have had to get them sharpened probably 3 to 4 times.
I haven't noticed any downside to them yet.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw-13 View Post
I don't use them but my understanding is that if you don't have a good sharpener in your area then they're a good option but that most people who have converted to them end up going back to conventional steel. This from a couple shop owners.
I bet you that you won't find any shop owners who will recommend them. Keep in mind that skate sharpening is a major source of income for them and they make 100% profit on skate sharpenings whereas they would only make about 30% (if that) on selling T'blade runners

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 09:28 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
The are extremely lightweight, extremely loud when skating and are somewhat soft. As in they will flex under powerful skating and larger players, depending on who you ask this is a good or a bad thing. To me, holder flex = baaad.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
The are extremely lightweight, extremely loud when skating and are somewhat soft. As in they will flex under powerful skating and larger players, depending on who you ask this is a good or a bad thing. To me, holder flex = baaad.
I agree. I'm relatively big - 6'0" about 200lbs., and I find that prolites flex so much that it kills my power transfer. I would probably destroy the T-blades. I actually managed to find a pair of the Missions I referred to in my original post brand new for $109. I'm pretty psyched.