HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers #5 Prospect

View Poll Results: Flyers #5 Prospect
Scott Munroe - G 0 0%
Oskars Bartulis - D 2 2.15%
Lars Jonsson - D 2 2.15%
Kevin Marshall - D 0 0%
Michael Ratchuk - D 1 1.08%
Mario Kempe - RW 2 2.15%
Jonathan Matsumoto - C 1 1.08%
Andreas Nödl - RW 54 58.06%
Ryan Potulny - C 22 23.66%
Stefan Ruzicka - RW 9 9.68%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-24-2007, 06:48 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
That's why he got my vote. I'm a big Nodl fan, but as far as "prospects" go, Potulny's ahead of him for right now. My list looks like this:

1) Parent
2) Giroux
3) JVR
4) Downie
5) Potulny
6) Ruzicka
7) Nodl
8) Cabana
9) Bartulis
10) Ratchuk

I don't really view Picard as a prospect anymore because he's played 68 total games for the Flyers and was on the roster for basically all of last season. Same goes for Braydon Coburn, as he already showed at the end of last season that he's a damn good player and will be with the Flyers this upcoming season no matter what.
I've got the same top seven with Downie and JVR reversed (though Parent and Giroux are really pretty even in my eyes), and beyond that it's all a crapshoot. Nodl's just too far from the NHL to rate him too highly without having a monster year under his belt. Hopefully that changes.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Some_Arrogant_Jerk*

Nodl

Add Tolpeko

Some_Arrogant_Jerk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 01:45 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
First off, "built better"? Most up to date records have Potulny at 6'0" and 192 lbs, and Nödl at 6'1" abd 196 lbs. Negligible difference.

Second, you say Nödl can "create offense" but the only thing we have to go off of is NCAA success and what the scouts say. Potulny had tons of success playing in the hardest division of D-1. Scouts were praising his offensive awareness, and his ability to find the back of the net from anywhere on the ice but it hasn't exactly translated. Who's to say the same exact thing won't happen with Nödl?Potulny was a top six player in our eyes, but hasn't made the seamless transition that some of us would like. At least with him, though, he can carve out a career as a third liner forward. With Nödl, he either makes it as a top-six winger, or busts. There's no in between with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Nodl is either a top 6 winger or bust, but Potulny can carve out a 3rd line role? Based on what? Potulny looks really small on the ice (I doubt he's really 6'), he's slow for the NHL, and shows no indication of being a good enough checker.

At this point, Potulny is as likely to be a career AHLer, like Peter White - with the occasional call up if he marries Holmgren's daughter, as he is to be an NHL regular. This is his make or break camp.

When you are talking 'prospect' you are projecting top end - or else why bother?

At least Nodl projects to a potential top 6 winger 2 or 3 years from now - I don't see Potulny in the NHL at all by the time Nodl makes the team - I certainly don't ever see him as a 2C anywhere in the league.
I think Larry summed up my feelings a bit. If Potulny is truly 6 foot 190, then i'll stand corrected but he doesn't look anywhere near it to me. I really don't agree with the Nodl top 6 or bust and Potulny being a 3rd line player. In my opinion its more likely the opposite... but its tough to say.

And as far as i can remember, Potulny has always been a shooter. He's a shooter with subpar footspeed... which in my opinion is going to be what does him in as a prospect. He just doesn't do much that Nodl can't do IMO. Obviously he needs to continue to develop but i'll take my chances on the player that has impact player potential

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 10:25 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Potulny looks really small on the ice (I doubt he's really 6'), he's slow for the NHL, and shows no indication of being a good enough checker.
I agree with this assessment.

The slow afoot thing is the most debilitating; if he can correct that to some extent it would be quite helpful. I like his "ice vision" and "hockey sense", so to speak -- those phrases we use to describe someone who makes passes that 9 of 10 skaters don't see.

Maybe it's an expectation thing - was expecting him to score a bit. From what I have seen thus far, he's not a top six guy which makes him a checker or grinder which means he'll need to be bigger, faster, and stronger than last year.

Make or break camp, indeed.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I agree with this assessment.

The slow afoot thing is the most debilitating; if he can correct that to some extent it would be quite helpful. I like his "ice vision" and "hockey sense", so to speak -- those phrases we use to describe someone who makes passes that 9 of 10 skaters don't see.

Maybe it's an expectation thing - was expecting him to score a bit. From what I have seen thus far, he's not a top six guy which makes him a checker or grinder which means he'll need to be bigger, faster, and stronger than last year.

Make or break camp, indeed.
It didn't come across, but I actually like some of the things Potulny did last year. He can stickhandle in a phone booth and he does have shooting skill. If he can improve his footspeed he might be able to score enough to keep himself in the NHL, but if he doesn't - he could be a Phantom only this year.

As usual, I hope he found the answer this summer and wins the Rocket.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I actually voted for Ruzicka as our number 5 prospect. People talk about the lack of work ethic, but I've never seen it from Ruzicka. What I have seen is someone who is extremely talented, but like a lot of youngsters in the Flyers organization last year, lacked leadership and direction in terms of game play and systems.

I think Ruzicka is going to be the training camp surprise and he's going to make a lot of people uncomfortable in terms of who is going to get what jobs. Now, before we get on the guy being another Brendl, let's remember that Brendl showed up to camp out of shape and just had no interest in being here. Ruzicka, on the other hand, has at least shown up in great shape and ready to play. Unfortunately, nobody has a clue on how to use him and I think that confusion lead to confusion whenever Ruzicka was on the ice.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Lupul*

I think Potulny was on pace for 20 or so goals in the limited time he played last season.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 01:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I actually voted for Ruzicka as our number 5 prospect. People talk about the lack of work ethic, but I've never seen it from Ruzicka. What I have seen is someone who is extremely talented, but like a lot of youngsters in the Flyers organization last year, lacked leadership and direction in terms of game play and systems.

I think Ruzicka is going to be the training camp surprise and he's going to make a lot of people uncomfortable in terms of who is going to get what jobs. Now, before we get on the guy being another Brendl, let's remember that Brendl showed up to camp out of shape and just had no interest in being here. Ruzicka, on the other hand, has at least shown up in great shape and ready to play. Unfortunately, nobody has a clue on how to use him and I think that confusion lead to confusion whenever Ruzicka was on the ice.
good call on Ruzicka. I think he could have a good year this year with some leadership and direction now in place in that lockerrroom and on the ice.
Pavel Brendl did not deserve to wear the Flyers sweater, he is a fat sack of garbage

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

I have Ruzicka slotted just below Nodl on my list. I agree on most accounts... i'd love to see him put it all together

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Lupul*

I voted for Nodl.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote