HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone Else have Nagging Injuries that Just Never really Leave them?

Old
08-25-2007, 09:41 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Anyone Else have Nagging Injuries that Just Never really Leave them?

I'm not just talking about an injury that never gets better, but something that always seems to get injured after it heals up...

For me, it's my right wrist. In 9th grade I had my wrist really start to become sore so I went to the doctors, they did xrays and said it was tearing the cartilage in my wrist which was causing the pain. I had to use a brace for a bit till it healed. No biggie.

A year ago same problem, my wrist acts up again, I knew what it was because it felt the same, started wearing the brace again, it got better.

3 weeks ago I felt it again, I disregarded it this time around. I kept playing and now its pretty bad. I have this huge like bubble coming out of my wrist at the opposite end of that other bone that sticks out just passed your wrist that also looks like a little hump.

Thankfully my playoff game is Thursday which I think should be plenty of time for it to heal, but damn, I can't workout, or play hockey very effectively right now if I wanted to.

So does anyone else have a nagging injury that always seems to come back or you can't get rid of?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Inertiatic

Same problem on the same wrist. I injured it a while ago, figured it was only a bruise and kept playing various sports. Eventually, I couldn't take the pain anymore and had to go on anti-inflammatorys. Wrist injuries are the worst, they take forever to heal and most of the time never heal completely. It still hurts me when I'm at work and have to spend a lot of time on the PC. Just scrolling with the mouse or typing hurts after a prolonged period of time.

We suck.

Inertiatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 10:24 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiatic View Post
Same problem on the same wrist. I injured it a while ago, figured it was only a bruise and kept playing various sports. Eventually, I couldn't take the pain anymore and had to go on anti-inflammatorys. Wrist injuries are the worst, they take forever to heal and most of the time never heal completely. It still hurts me when I'm at work and have to spend a lot of time on the PC. Just scrolling with the mouse or typing hurts after a prolonged period of time.

We suck.

It does suck...but I guess it could be worse right? A nagging knee injury that required surgery could kill our hockey playing days.

Old
08-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Redden Hogalot*

My groin. Acts up every now and then.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 11:39 PM
YogiCanucks

Every now and then I get pains in my lower back, if I don't sit them out and try to just play threw them my back just like completely goes and I have sit out 2-3 weeks.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 12:04 AM
spoon*

My ankle. It always hurts I think after it got sore one time it never really left and it hurts occasionally on the bench and stuff. I've tried skates galore but never really changed anything. So I stayed on my Easton's.

I guess i'm an up-and-coming Forsberg

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 12:51 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Make it three with the right wrist thing. I've broken mine three times and spraigned it a couple more.

And it sounds like you have a Ganglion cyst, Flyline. Check it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

I had one, it ended up fixing itself, yay me. I could be completely wrong though, you might have a totally different problem, I'm not a medical professional, so don't listen to me.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I'd like to say I tore my knee up doing something, like playing hockey or boarding or something.. But I don't recall ever doing anything to it.

I've had this pain in my right knee since I was a kid. I can't keep my knee bent for long periods of time, or else it becomes really painful. I have to straighten it out - and when I do that it cracks/pops.

I honestly sometimes wake up while sleeping because I can feel it. It's almost like a cramp of some sort, but much worse. I've never gotten it checked out. Maybe I should one day, just because I want to know what the hell the problem is.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 09:08 AM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Yep, I play soccer too... Tore my hamstring two years ago and it still feels like hell the day after a run.

Also my ankles are pretty much shot. One of them clicks, and the ligaments in both are loose as hell so i can sprain them at a moments notice.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 11:03 AM
mooseOAK*

I'll dislocate my shoulder a few times a year, just pop in back in and go on.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 12:31 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'm not just talking about an injury that never gets better, but something that always seems to get injured after it heals up...

For me, it's my right wrist. In 9th grade I had my wrist really start to become sore so I went to the doctors, they did xrays and said it was tearing the cartilage in my wrist which was causing the pain. I had to use a brace for a bit till it healed. No biggie.

A year ago same problem, my wrist acts up again, I knew what it was because it felt the same, started wearing the brace again, it got better.

3 weeks ago I felt it again, I disregarded it this time around. I kept playing and now its pretty bad. I have this huge like bubble coming out of my wrist at the opposite end of that other bone that sticks out just passed your wrist that also looks like a little hump.

Thankfully my playoff game is Thursday which I think should be plenty of time for it to heal, but damn, I can't workout, or play hockey very effectively right now if I wanted to.

So does anyone else have a nagging injury that always seems to come back or you can't get rid of?
If you have a lump on your wrist, go see a doctor. I've suffered through a major wrist injury and yeah they suck. They suck even worse if you don't have them treated. For now, tape it up best you can to get though your games.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 08:37 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Groin.

While playing street hockey with my friends, if I took a huge stride during a transition and screamed out "Ahhhhh!!," they immediately knew I would not be playing for at least a week.

Mostly the right side of the groin, as that is my lead foot.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post
Groin.

While playing street hockey with my friends, if I took a huge stride during a transition and screamed out "Ahhhhh!!," they immediately knew I would not be playing for at least a week.

Mostly the right side of the groin, as that is my lead foot.

Same here, my groin allways seems to act up whenever i take that 1st explosive stride.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 11:38 PM
fullmetal2405

my left knee and back. my knee just always seems to have something wrong with it. beginning of the season last year, i went down with tendonitis. it was awful. i know that's not really a severe injury, but the pain was crippling. i played through it with a brace though. before that it always seemed to be sprained or something along the lines. main problem with my knee is that it'll get hurt, and then once it's healed it just seems to still not like me. so once in a while it'll twinge, or just decided to hurt itself again.

as for my back i managed to get arthritis from my father. 18 years old and i've been dealing with arthritis in my back for 6 years.

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 01:43 AM
OilerNut*

I pulled my groin really bad when I was younger playing street hockey of all things, and ever since every once in awhile it gets kinda sore.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 02:12 AM
NYRCNS39

vCash: 772
For me i have an on going hip problem. Ever since my freshman year in high school when I strained too hard with a leg press, my hip/groin problems have been coming and going. I went to a doctor for it at the end of my junior year, and said it was hip tendinitis. I've never been able to do a butterfly because of it, since the tendons are too inflamed. I also have lower back problems ever since peewee hockey, took a hit that taught me never to keep my head down everything subdues with rest and is only a minor nuisance until some freak motion or unexpected gesture kinda triggers it all back.

NYRCNS39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 09:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Groin here too

Seems like the groin and the wrist are very common around here.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Caged Great

I'm a walking injury, Most of the time, it's my right knee. Sometimes my left one acts up. Sometimes a groin pull (I'm a goalie). Currently I'm out with a concussion (got phaneuf'ed playing soccer).

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
jiggs 10

My left wrist (top of stick hand) gets sore every year about January, and nags through the end of the season in April. Even if I only play once a week, it starts to get weak and sore around New Year's. And I play 4 times a week! Doesn't matter if I quit on the weights, or anything. The only thing is if I don't carry the puck much during games, it helps a bit. But that is part of my game, so....

Plus, I broke and dislocated some ribs 4 years ago, and they hurt every day. If I eat too much, it hurts for 2 or 3 days after!

I won't even start on the knee injuries I've had.

I'm a mess.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 10:38 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersMoogle View Post
Make it three with the right wrist thing. I've broken mine three times and spraigned it a couple more.

And it sounds like you have a Ganglion cyst, Flyline. Check it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

I had one, it ended up fixing itself, yay me. I could be completely wrong though, you might have a totally different problem, I'm not a medical professional, so don't listen to me.
As of right now, thankfully...I don't think I have that...over the past 2 days it has gotten a little smaller and im praying it goes away in a few more. No way do i want any type of wrist surgury.

Though i've been playing it very safe by not working out, and wearing a brace for half the time in the meantime. I have a big playoff game Thursday and there is NO way i'm missing it. I hope its good to go by then (we'll even if its not 100% im still playing, but i'll be less effective on the shooting and puck handling skills).

Old
08-28-2007, 11:59 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

strained my ACL, its been hurt for like 2 years pretty consistently, cant remember the last time i was 100% (really close now, but still not quite there)

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 12:21 AM
McNasty

My left shoulder is ****ed up. I had dislocated it during my freshman year of high school and then while I was supposed to be resting and taking it easy I went water skiing, wiped out and the first thing that hit the water was my shoulder. Now my shoulder blade grinds when I rotate it backwards and I can't rotate it all the way backwards. It also pops out when I hit it the right way but thankfully its happened enough times that the pain isn't so bad. Saw a few doctors who each had a different opinion so idk *** the problem is lol.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Third degree torn ligaments on both sides of my left ankle.

Plattella Sublimation lateral in my left knee, slight tear to ACL in my right knee.

Something like 20 differant broken bones.

These all happend before the age of 16. At 22 im starting to feel it bad.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote