HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

USHL, NAHL, & Tier 3 players pay what?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2007, 09:33 PM
  #1
hockeyhockeyhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
USHL, NAHL, & Tier 3 players pay what?

I read that in the

USHL that those teams pays for everything for the players: room and board, etc.

NAHL that those teams pays for everything but room and board. If a player is still in high school and he relocates to a different state and lives with a billet family, does he have to pay $200-$300 for room and board. Does the player have to pay the new local public high school a tuition? (even though he will be living with a billet family?)

Tier 3: Players pay ice fees, room and board and (high school tuition?)

hockeyhockeyhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 07:47 AM
  #2
5iveforfighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the "tuition" is for HS. Unless the player is going to a private school, public schools do not charge tuition. From what I understand the tuition is for playing with the team.

5iveforfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 08:15 AM
  #3
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
The USHL pays all expenses, which include equipment and billeting costs.

The NAHL pays for ice fees, some equipment (jersey and stick) but the players are required to pick up billeting costs.

Tier III is allowed to charge players a fee to play (EJHL is around 5k a year) while the player picks up all costs.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
  #4
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB View Post
The USHL pays all expenses, which include equipment and billeting costs.

The NAHL pays for ice fees, some equipment (jersey and stick) but the players are required to pick up billeting costs.

Tier III is allowed to charge players a fee to play (EJHL is around 5k a year) while the player picks up all costs.
Just as a comparison, what do Canadian Major Junior, CJAHL, or regional/provincial Jr B/C players have to pay?
Or US High School/prep school?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
  #5
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Just as a comparison, what do Canadian Major Junior, CJAHL, or regional/provincial Jr B/C players have to pay?
Or US High School/prep school?
Major Junior pays everything including college tuition.

Everything else is a hodgepodge. Some tier II teams pick up the whole tab for certain players while others provide for nothing at all.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 04:17 PM
  #6
dropthepuckref
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
I heard a high school player playing in the NAHL only have to pay room and board. But in order to go to a public school in another state, that the billet family has to sign temporary custody papers so the player will be consider a resident in that school district area.

I heard about one public school wanted to charge a player in high school a lot of money since they said he is not a resident in their school district, even though the player was living with a billet family in that school district.

Anybody have any stories like that?

Who has played in the NAHL Junior A, that was still in high school, that was going to move to a different state and live with a billet family AND had to pay the PUBLIC SCHOOL a high tuition to go to their school. Even though the billet family was in that school district paying property taxes.

dropthepuckref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
  #7
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB View Post
The USHL pays all expenses, which include equipment and billeting costs.

The NAHL pays for ice fees, some equipment (jersey and stick) but the players are required to pick up billeting costs.

Tier III is allowed to charge players a fee to play (EJHL is around 5k a year) while the player picks up all costs.
funny , the ncaa still lets those guys play , but not canadian junior players, what's the big difference?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
  #8
Superfly Jimmy Snuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
here in canada heres how it works:

Junior A: Equipment, travel, and ice time are all paid for (except the US teams, they are community ran), most teams don't billet a lot of players most are from the area but billets usually receive 100-150 a week..

Junior B: Equipment, travel and icetime are usually paid for because junior B in areas like London, Guelph etc are the highest level available.....Most players are local and are not billeted.

Junior C: These guys usually get a team helmut and pants and their ice time covered but thats about it. No junior C team i know billets all the players are within the area.

Major Junior: They get free everything like the USHL.....They receive a 50 dollar a week allowance, free sticks etc...Their billet families receive 120-170 a week for food.....Some teams provide Overage players with cars to pickup younger players

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 09:24 AM
  #9
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka View Post
here in canada heres how it works:

Junior A: Equipment, travel, and ice time are all paid for (except the US teams, they are community ran), most teams don't billet a lot of players most are from the area but billets usually receive 100-150 a week..

Junior B: Equipment, travel and icetime are usually paid for because junior B in areas like London, Guelph etc are the highest level available.....Most players are local and are not billeted.

Junior C: These guys usually get a team helmut and pants and their ice time covered but thats about it. No junior C team i know billets all the players are within the area.

Major Junior: They get free everything like the USHL.....They receive a 50 dollar a week allowance, free sticks etc...Their billet families receive 120-170 a week for food.....Some teams provide Overage players with cars to pickup younger players
Also both CJAHL (MJAHL anyways) and CHL have midget drafts. MJAHL teams use as many local players as possible.
But because of the midget draft they (MJAHL) really couldn't have a pay to play scheme.
In NB we don't have Junior B as High School hockey is still quite big. I doubt if besides equipment, players pay for much, to play High School.
Junior C, personal equipment I think the player pays but not much else and yes almost all local players.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 05:28 PM
  #10
5iveforfighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
funny , the ncaa still lets those guys play , but not canadian junior players, what's the big difference?
my guess is because none of the money is actually going to the player.

5iveforfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
  #11
Superfly Jimmy Snuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5iveforfighting View Post
my guess is because none of the money is actually going to the player.
thats a lie...i know for a fact the USHL gives allowances out to its players similar to the OHL and other CHL leagues....In the USHL the players don't have time for jobs or anything so theres noway they are not compensated, they probably receive 50 a week or maybe less similar to the CHL players.....This whole debate has been going on forever it just NCAA preventing Major junior players from Canada coming to the NCAA because their considered "pros"..

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
  #12
5iveforfighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka View Post
thats a lie...i know for a fact the USHL gives allowances out to its players similar to the OHL and other CHL leagues....In the USHL the players don't have time for jobs or anything so theres noway they are not compensated, they probably receive 50 a week or maybe less similar to the CHL players.....This whole debate has been going on forever it just NCAA preventing Major junior players from Canada coming to the NCAA because their considered "pros"..
Hmm, do you live in a city that has a USHL team? How exactly do you know for a fact that the players are getting paid unless you work for the USHL in the accouting dept. I know "for a fact" that the players have plenty of time to work, if they are not working they are required to go to school and there is plenty of time during the day when they have time to work. I guaratee that the players are not getting paid. Do you really think a 16 yr old kid would be able to keep that a secret? I'm not sure where you get your information from, but the players in the USHL are getting money either by working or allowance from their parents if they are younger. Not from the league.

5iveforfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
  #13
Superfly Jimmy Snuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
the league wouldnt pay them...similar to the CHL the league doesnt pay them the team does.....The money could be given to the billet family for them to give to the players....either way its the same thing as what the CHL does...And no Tier 1 Junior A hockey team would make their players have part time jobs they practice and play too much and when their not doing that they are in school

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 12:34 AM
  #14
Ryan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
many players have part time jobs in the USHL.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 09:07 AM
  #15
raz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
each team in the NAHL is different. Our own expierience has been the team is paying for everything, billets fees, everything, however no money to the player.

raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 09:07 AM
  #16
hockeyhockeyhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Are there any Junior A players in the NAHL that are still attending high school that.......had to pay a tuition to the public high school they were attending (living out of state) and/or has anybody experienced living with a billet family still in high school that the team can't find a billet family that will sign a limited guardianship papers.

Just wondering what other high school students playing in the NAHL Junior A did in order to go to school and live with a billet family.

We have a good friend that will probably play in the NAHL next year but will still be in high school.

I am sure he will get all the information from the team that will pick him next year, but just curious what some high school students have experienced so far.

hockeyhockeyhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 10:32 AM
  #17
5iveforfighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockeyhockey View Post
Are there any Junior A players in the NAHL that are still attending high school that.......had to pay a tuition to the public high school they were attending (living out of state) and/or has anybody experienced living with a billet family still in high school that the team can't find a billet family that will sign a limited guardianship papers.

Just wondering what other high school students playing in the NAHL Junior A did in order to go to school and live with a billet family.

We have a good friend that will probably play in the NAHL next year but will still be in high school.

I am sure he will get all the information from the team that will pick him next year, but just curious what some high school students have experienced so far.
I can't answer specificially to the NAHL, but if the player is an import all schooling costs would be out of pocket,something about the type of visa needed to play hockey. I don't believe that an out of state player would have to pay schooling, but it might depend on the school district or the state. From my understanding the OOS players here in Lincoln don't have to pay to attend HS. I wouldn't think the tuition if any would be different for the USHL or the NAHL. Personally I think that if the team either can't find a billet in the school district or if the district has a closed enrollment policy the team should be responsible for the players education. Paying directly to the school wouldn't violate any NCAA rules or regs because the player would not be paid for playing hockey. The school would be getting the money.

5iveforfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 12:48 PM
  #18
hockeyhockeyhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
I heard two different situations and both were high school students playing in the NAHL.

One high school student: had a billet family signed a limited guardianship and attend their local public high school free.

Different team in the NAHL & Another high school student: had a billet family without a limited guardianship, so the high school student had to pay a large tuition to attend their local public high school.

I heard this from a two kids from two years ago.

So it looks like each team offers different billeting and high school tuition ... to pay or not to pay a tuition

hockeyhockeyhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 11:41 AM
  #19
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5iveforfighting View Post
my guess is because none of the money is actually going to the player.
or the ncca doesnt want canadians taking over.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
  #20
geezette
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 yrs in the minors
Country: United States
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
There are plenty of Canadians playing NCAA college hockey on scholarships. They just didn't play "CHL" hockey.
It's a choice kids have to make.


Last edited by geezette: 08-26-2007 at 09:56 PM.
geezette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 01:13 AM
  #21
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezette View Post
There are plenty of Canadians playing NCAA college hockey on scholarships. They just didn't play "CHL" hockey.
It's a choice kids have to make.
But could you imagine if CHL players could take the bursaries that they earn, and then were able to use them at NCAA schools if they choose not to go pro.
Wouldn't that be great.
Can you imagine if some how NCAA and CHL could work out an agreement in which players could stop playing the NCAA scholarship card to negotiate individual terms with CHL clubs.
Oh wait, if NCAA would allow CHL players to use their bursaries at their institutions.......then there'd be no bidding war between NCAA recruiters with big scholarships and CHL recruiters with individual education packages


Last edited by Alpine: 08-27-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 01:54 PM
  #22
MikeC44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
But could you imagine if CHL players could take the bursaries that they earn, and then were able to use them at NCAA schools if they choose not to go pro.
Wouldn't that be great.
Can you imagine if some how NCAA and CHL could work out an agreement in which players could stop playing the NCAA scholarship card to negotiate individual terms with CHL clubs.
Oh wait, if NCAA would allow CHL players to use their bursaries at their institutions.......then there'd be no bidding war between NCAA recruiters with big scholarships and CHL recruiters with individual education packages
I think both leagues (NCAA & CHL) are scared because they don't know what might happen if CHL players were allowed to go on to play NCAA hockey.

The NCAA is afraid all the top players would go to the CHL, and turn pro before playing in the NCAA. They'd never see the Kessels, Johnsons, etc. It would turn into the CIS.

The CHL is worried all the top players would leave the CHL for the NCAA at 18. The only 18 and 19 year olds left would be either 2nd tier guys, or guys not smart enough to get into university.

There's just too much to lose if the pendulum swings in the other direction.

MikeC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 06:06 PM
  #23
RUSqueelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC44 View Post
I think both leagues (NCAA & CHL) are scared because they don't know what might happen if CHL players were allowed to go on to play NCAA hockey.

The NCAA is afraid all the top players would go to the CHL, and turn pro before playing in the NCAA. They'd never see the Kessels, Johnsons, etc. It would turn into the CIS.

The CHL is worried all the top players would leave the CHL for the NCAA at 18. The only 18 and 19 year olds left would be either 2nd tier guys, or guys not smart enough to get into university.
There's just too much to lose if the pendulum swings in the other direction.
Simple solution to that would be - in their CHL contract, they wouldn't be allowed to leave for the NCAA until they turned 20 ie finished junior. But then, players and clubs would be in a similar situation as now as players would negotiate ie holdout, play others league's - like they threaten now to negotiate that clause to change it to a younger age etc. So really, I don't think much would change for the CHL.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 09:20 AM
  #24
burtA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockeyhockey View Post
I read that in the

USHL that those teams pays for everything for the players: room and board, etc.

NAHL that those teams pays for everything but room and board. If a player is still in high school and he relocates to a different state and lives with a billet family, does he have to pay $200-$300 for room and board. Does the player have to pay the new local public high school a tuition? (even though he will be living with a billet family?)

Tier 3: Players pay ice fees, room and board and (high school tuition?)
USHL covers everything

NAHL you cover billeting

Tier III you cover everything

Source: http://www.juniorhockeytruth.com/nahl

burtA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:33 PM
  #25
MNWild9
Registered User
 
MNWild9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fargo,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
USHL - Teams covers everything expect for billet expenses and Other brands of skates/sticks that are not Reebok or CCM (Players get discounts on Bauer/Easton skates/sticks if they choose to not wanting what the team provides). No players get allowance or any money from the team as it goes against all NCAA rules. Most of the players work or their parents help them out. The USHL teams make sure you are going to the correct High school depending on the district your billet family lives.

NAHL - Teams cover everything expect for billet expenses and if you want different equipment that the team doesn't provide. NAHL teams make sure you are going to the correct High school depending on the district your billet family lives. A lot of the player work.

At one point I lived in a city that has a NAHL team and now live in a City that has a USHL (which I work for)

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.