HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pet Peeve

Old
08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Pet Peeve

I have been playing ice hockey for 5 years now and I have been noticing something that has really got on my nerves. Why is it that some players feel the need to show off their slapshot at every chance possible. I'll see a 2 on 1 or a part of, and the guy with the puck will come in just over the blue line and just slap it, usually having it go a mile wide and around the boards. Some guys I see them doing this 5-6x a game and getting it on goal on maybe 25% of their shots and scoring on perhaps 10% of those shots. Wouldn't the better scoring play be just to take a hard wrist or snap shot down low and hope for a rebound or why not try and pass it to the guy breaking in on the wing/centre? I mean it isn't like I hate slapshots, just feel there is a time and place for them and I don't see how you should do it on a 2+ on 1.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Yeah, I hate people doing that also. These people have no hockey sense whatso ever.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 10:50 PM
vexXed

Well, I practice my slapshot more than any other shot as I play defense and like to send them on net from the blue line so my forwards can get a deflection or a rebound. However, like you said taking one on a 2 on 1 is just a waste of time unless their shot is that good. Even scoring 10% of the time is too high a percentage. On the rare occassion I get a breakaway I never take a slap shot, always a wrister or snap in close.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 02:48 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
That really annoyed me too. I hate it when people chicken out of play just to avoid getting hit, it just annoys the heck outta me. They'll let the other team have it just so they won't get nudged, bah!!!

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 10:47 AM
JDSens16

I definately agree with what your sayin, its very frustrating to pass up a good scoring chance with a wide shot, especially annoying when you are the man without the puck on the 2 on 1.

JDSens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2007, 09:36 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I agree but if you have a guy who you know can get it on net than im all for it but if you got a 2 on 1 than dont mess it up and make some kind of play that will get a rebound for the on coming attacker or put it in the net.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Cujo31

Had a linemate who always took a slapshot early last season, I would 'peel off' as he wound up and head for the boards on my side. Most of the time the high/wide shot would come careening around the boards right too me....everyone would laugh and that cured him without saying anything.

LOL, not even smart enough to fake a slapshot and make me look bad.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 10:36 AM
dbbourn

We had a guy on my team who took slapshots on breakaways. It would drive me nuts and it wasn't like he didn't have the skill to deke or find a hole somewhere. He was probalby one of the most skilled guys on the team, but loved to let that shot go from anywhere. The cometition in that league wasn't so great and I think he was just bored since he doesn't do it so much anymore.

I had the puck on a 2 on 1 the other day but the pass was cut off by the defender, so I took a slapper. It went in, so I guess it can't be the wrong decision all the time.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo31 View Post
Had a linemate who always took a slapshot early last season, I would 'peel off' as he wound up and head for the boards on my side. Most of the time the high/wide shot would come careening around the boards right too me....everyone would laugh and that cured him without saying anything.
As a wing, this is a smart play in general. A huge majority of missed shots, rebounds, and loose passes will head towards the opposite corner. If you prepare for that as the shot is released, you'll be there a step or two ahead of the D...

Oh... My pet peeve... Push-ahead face offs. An occasional set play pushing ahead to a ready & cutting wing is fine. But limit it to once or twice a game.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I have been playing ice hockey for 5 years now and I have been noticing something that has really got on my nerves. Why is it that some players feel the need to show off their slapshot at every chance possible. I'll see a 2 on 1 or a part of, and the guy with the puck will come in just over the blue line and just slap it, usually having it go a mile wide and around the boards. Some guys I see them doing this 5-6x a game and getting it on goal on maybe 25% of their shots and scoring on perhaps 10% of those shots. Wouldn't the better scoring play be just to take a hard wrist or snap shot down low and hope for a rebound or why not try and pass it to the guy breaking in on the wing/centre? I mean it isn't like I hate slapshots, just feel there is a time and place for them and I don't see how you should do it on a 2+ on 1.
Everyone wants to make that blistering slapshot that blows right by the goalie. We have a good goaltender so most of the time I just get out of the way and let him see it.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 02:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I rarely take slapshots. I usually pass and if I have the chance to shoot I take a wrister. The only time I take a slapshot is when I'm far out and have no other choice.

Then again Gretzky loved the slapshot from everywhere, so don't knock it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
Oh... My pet peeve... Push-ahead face offs. An occasional set play pushing ahead to a ready & cutting wing is fine. But limit it to once or twice a game.
This one kills me, haha. I always go back, everyone else on my team likes to go forward.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote