HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Sullivan out 3 months

Old
08-25-2007, 01:20 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Did you see him yourself?

Anybody have any definitive reason why he was here?
Well, there is a foot doctor here in Hendersonville. Supposed to be quite good, Paris Hilton came to him a year or two ago. But I didn't see him or anything.

Would be good to have him now though.

Jeez, I used to say that Sully should just sit out until Jan. so he would be fresh for the playoffs, but I didn't mean it like this!

Poor guy, I hope he's able to come back from this. The trade for him was probably one of the best and most important we ever made.

NOW who do we choose as Captain since we all were hailing Sully as the next 'C'?

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 01:36 AM
JussiM

Truly terrible news...

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 06:19 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
...in a move that takes the league by suprise, Trotz goes with the " 1 scoring line and 3 checking lines " approach...
Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this comment. With our past history with Trotz, it could be close to the truth. I thought the days of Fiddler on the first line were over. Poile actually mentioned Fiddler by name while he was on the radio yesterday. This being said, I would rather not trade away one of the big 3 on defence; maybe one of the young guys can step up and give us a shot. This really is devastating though. Suter would probably the only one of the 3 that could bring us a top 6 foward back in return; however, I don't want to trade Suter for Ryder and a 2nd. I would rather sign Carter or Johnson and pray to all that is Holy that Sully does in fact come back to the ice in December.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Did you see him yourself?
He was staying in a nice hotel around here Wednesday..

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 01:11 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
I knew bad news was coming, I was trying to hint at it in my recent posts.
Don't know the specifics of the 2nd surgery, though.....very bad, bad news.

As a surgeon, if you ever have to go back into a previous surgery site, this close after the initial surgery, things are DEFINITELY not good.

We should mentally start planning for the "post-Sully era" right now.....if he ever plays another game as a Predator, I will be pleasantly surprised.
I was afraid you would say that.

any chance they just did something small the first time and either decided to do another level or something bigger this time, rather than a true re-do of the first surgery?

edit.. just read your later post.. so it sounds like they didnt do a full discectomy the first time... that means it is a "re-do"... and thats bad..

Last edited by PredsV82: 08-25-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: new info
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 01:26 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

damn!

I always take Sully in the pools

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 03:06 PM
RMT

poor Predators, it gets even worst for them ..

RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 08:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT89 View Post
poor Predators, it gets even worst for them ..
I think the optiomists are hoping this will make the guys who are here play with a little more fire in the belly

personally I would like to see Arnott and Legwand step up and say "OK boys, follow us..."

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Jarnberg

Per the Tennessean
Quote:
As the Predators begin the process of replacing injured forward Steve Sullivan for the next three months, General Manager David Poile said the first step is to look within the organization.

But he's not ruling out the possibility of a trade.

Poile pointed out that recently signed forward Martin Gelinas might step into a more prominent role due to Sullivan's back injury, and also noted that several Nashville forwards such as Vern Fiddler, Jordin Tootoo and Scott Nichol moved up to the first two lines at times last season.

Old
08-27-2007, 11:36 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Per the Tennessean
Poile pointed out that recently signed forward Martin Gelinas might step into a more prominent role due to Sullivan's back injury, and also noted that several Nashville forwards such as Vern Fiddler, Jordin Tootoo and Scott Nichol moved up to the first two lines at times last season.
Don't you love it when 4th liners end up on your two scoring lines.

Old
08-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
Don't you love it when 4th liners end up on your two scoring lines.
Fiddler, Tootoo, and Nichol as second liners, is flat out stupid. It always has been.....it always will be. Fiddler is one of the worst, if not the worst, even strength players on the team...

08-27-2007, 01:31 PM
braindead

Technically I would say Fiddler and Nichols have proved they aren't second line players and Tootoo has done nothing to show that he is or ever will be a 2nd line player.

The distinction is Tootoo is younger and has some additional tools that hold out hope that he still could pull a Scott Walker and emerge as a scoring threat.... at least in theory. I know I'll get flamed for it but my view is it is at least within the realm of possible (not probable) that the combination of speed, hustle, hard shot and minor league (ok, juniors) scoring can translate into points. This might be the year to test the theory for 10 games-- or at least a couple of preseason games-- given that his other antics aren't likely to play any longer.

Too bad Upshall was part of the Forsberg deal. Or at least it will be interesting to see how he emerges over the upcoming season.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Technically I would say Fiddler and Nichols have proved they aren't second line players and Tootoo has done nothing to show that he is or ever will be a 2nd line player.

The distinction is Tootoo is younger and has some additional tools that hold out hope that he still could pull a Scott Walker and emerge as a scoring threat.... at least in theory. I know I'll get flamed for it but my view is it is at least within the realm of possible (not probable) that the combination of speed, hustle, hard shot and minor league (ok, juniors) scoring can translate into points. This might be the year to test the theory for 10 games-- or at least a couple of preseason games-- given that his other antics aren't likely to play any longer.

Too bad Upshall was part of the Forsberg deal. Or at least it will be interesting to see how he emerges over the upcoming season.
The problem with Tootoo is he has no playmaking ability. He simply isn't creative enough to be on a line with an offensive outlook. He can skate. He is physical and is not afraid of the net/corners. He shoots hard. The lack of creativity and accuracy completely destroy his offensive output. I just do not ever see this changing.....(and I know you are not saying that it will braindead, just making a point).

Last edited by Enoch: 08-27-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Jarnberg

We may be out of a playoff spot come December if we think that Fiddler, Nichol or Tootoo will carry us until Sullivan comes back.

First of all, Scott Nichol shouldn't even be on this team; his gutless spear was one of the worst things I've seen in a while. No, its not a Bertuzzi, but it was a stupid play in a close game after we were about to go on the PP. I'm not sure that anyone can defend that. Couple that with his sucker punch against Buffalo and this guy shouldn't be on the squad. What he brings to the team isn't worth having him on the ice.

Fiddler has had way too many chances on a top scoring line, when will the organization realize he's a hardworking minor leaguer. I'm sure he's a great guy, that doesn't make him good at hockey. He hustles, that is it.

And for Tootoo, he may have had some type of skill (not alot) one time, but the way he's been used here has molded him into what he is, an energy guy that crosses the line alot. How are any of the other players on the top two lines going to get things going when Tootoo owns a VIP spot in the box every shift?

Last edited by Jarnberg: 08-27-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old
08-28-2007, 07:20 AM
predperson

Quote:
A quick summary of Poile's comments:
I stand by what I said earlier....."I will be pleasantly surprised to see Sully playing again as a Pred" and I will add, that I would be even more surprised if he ever was again the Point-a-game player that we have come to know, when we think of Steve Sullivan.
I was afraid of that.....dang it. Guess we better just prepare ourselves for no more Sully.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 08:40 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The problem with Tootoo is he has no playmaking ability. He simply isn't creative enough to be on a line with an offensive outlook. He can skate. He is physical and is not afraid of the net/corners. He shoots hard. The lack of creativity and accuracy completely destroy his offensive output. I just do not ever see this changing.....(and I know you are not saying that it will braindead, just making a point).
He also has hands of stone. Does he always intend to shoot for the center of the goaltenders chest. Tootoo is probably the guy who is at biggest risk of losing his job; that is if the refs continue to eye him this season like they did at the end of last season.

I agree with Stranger about Nichol that he really shouldn't be on this team.

Old
08-31-2007, 07:01 AM
handtrick

Nice to see Sully having the itch to be at the rink with the guys, and sounding 100% confident he will be back playing [although I wouldn't expect him to say otherwise at this point, at least publically].

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....708310410/1028

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Nordique

Bad news, even as CBJ fan I can say Sullivan is one of my favorite NHL players. You guys were on the road here two seasons ago, and during a commercial break, they put the kiss cam on Sullivan like they do to harass every visiting team. Rather than scoff at it, he grabbed the guy next to him on the bench(a linemate, Erat?) and kissed him on the top of the head. He's a great face of the game to the fans regardless of what team you root for. A real class act, and a hell of a guy to have on your side on the ice. I drafted him in roto last season, and it was painful having to move him to IR every other week. I hope he gets healthy, but as a long time NHL fan, I can say I've seen this scenario playout in the past and he's likely done or on his last lap. But then again, we just signed Peca, so who knows what modern medicine and determination can overcome.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Among all the other things mentioned, Tootoo just can't handle the puck. He has never skated more than 3 strides without coughing it up or putting one up in 303. It is absolutely pitiful.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 08:56 AM
GlueleG

Is it feasible to assume that Sullivan will only miss the first 6 weeks of the season, if all goes well? Is this is the case, he shouldnt miss more than 20 games ... maybe I'm being overly optimistic?

GlueleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueleG View Post
Is it feasible to assume that Sullivan will only miss the first 6 weeks of the season, if all goes well? Is this is the case, he shouldnt miss more than 20 games ... maybe I'm being overly optimistic?
It depends on how well his rehab goes and how he feels. That being said, who's to say that this will still be the same Steve Sullivan, or that he doesn't get injured again soon after?

I think it would be wise to plan for life after Sullivan.

Old
09-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Nifty=HHOF

Is there any updates on Sullivan? The Tennessean in player bio's says, "Back spasms, sidelined indefinitely"

Nifty=HHOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty=HHOF View Post
Is there any updates on Sullivan? The Tennessean in player bio's says, "Back spasms, sidelined indefinitely"
No updates and none likely until November or December.

Old
10-03-2007, 11:58 AM
pags78

when is sully going to be put on the IR??

pags78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:32 PM
JerseyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags78 View Post
when is sully going to be put on the IR??
Well odds are he won't be, he had to have passed the training camp physical to "make the team" since, I don't believe, he did that, he's not really on the team, so they don't need to put him on the IR.

At least that's my understand of the rule

JerseyMike is offline   Reply With Quote