HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think Rene Vydareny will rank in our top 20?

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2004, 01:02 PM
habsfan11

vCash: 500
Do you think Rene Vydareny will rank in our top 20?

if so, where?
From what i've read, i dont understand how he ranked so high on the Van city list

Old
03-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Rageinthecage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_
if so, where?
From what i've read, i dont understand how he ranked so high on the Van city list
He ranked higher on the Canucks list due to our poor farm system depth. The top 20 isn't exactly agreed on by all Canuck fans regardless, but his stock has dropped recently. Very fast skater, but slightly suspect defensively and developing very slowly overall. Perhaps he will flourish in a new system, but his NHL chances are remote. Not familiar with the entire Habs top 20 list, but if it's as deep throughout as your excellent top 10, I highly doubt Vydareny makes the list.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Darz

Doubt he would make the list. Can't see him unseeded the bottom guys, so:

19. Alex Buturlin
20. Danny Stewart

Old
03-11-2004, 01:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
if so, where?

No he won't be in our top 20, but it's hard for me since I've never seen him play. From all I've read and the few Nucks fans I've talked with, he won't be in our top 20. Hopefully sportsnet or the score will show the Dogs again as I am not planning on going to any more games this year.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:48 PM
jimnevets

I'm going to be at the two games Hamilton plays in St. John's next week. If he is playing, I will keep my eyes on him as much as possible and let you know what I think.

It was suggested in the papers here in St. John's last week that there is a possibility Montreal and Toronto will switch the locations of their AHL teams within the next year. That would be fantastic, Toronto's AHL team sucks and people are really losing interest. If we had a team like the Bulldogs here, the rink would be filled every game.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnevets
I'm going to be at the two games Hamilton plays in St. John's next week. If he is playing, I will keep my eyes on him as much as possible and let you know what I think.

It was suggested in the papers here in St. John's last week that there is a possibility Montreal and Toronto will switch the locations of their AHL teams within the next year. That would be fantastic, Toronto's AHL team sucks and people are really losing interest. If we had a team like the Bulldogs here, the rink would be filled every game.

The papers are nuts, as far as I know it can't happen. The Dogs signed a 5 year agreement and are not owned by the Habs but by a group of businessmen. It's a pipedream, imo and I would be shocked if this was even allowed.

Old
03-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Brett38

I'm originally from Newfoundland, but recently moved out west. I have seen about 14 baby Leaf games since the beginning. I have only seen two games in the new stadium of Mile One. I would love to see the Leafs and Habs change AHL sites. Maybe when I come home from time to time I will get to see a game or two. The games that I have seen, the Baby Leafs have a record of 9-4-1.

Its hard cheering for a leafs team, but I try to look at it as a city or provincial team. I have cheered for the baby Habs when they came here.

Old
03-11-2004, 04:06 PM
jimnevets

Hey Montreal, it is not nuts and it can happen.

Toronto don't want to keep their AHL team here in St. John's anymore because they want the city to pay more than the city is willing to pay. Toronto are actively looking for a new place and the idea is to extend the contract here so it matches the one in Hamilton and then switch players. There will still be a team in Hamilton. The group may own the team but not the players and it doesn't matter which players are there.

Old
03-11-2004, 04:22 PM
NWT Habs Fan

It would be great for the super fans in St John's but quite tough on the players as it would involve a lot more travel to and from the Rock. Management would have to consider that and also what they have already invested in marketing the team in Hamilton. In the end, even if the Toronto organization wanted to move, I would expect the Montreal organization would be a lot more reluctant...although history has had the farm in all sort of places: Halifax, Fredericton, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Hamilton, to name a few.

Old
03-11-2004, 04:43 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
It would be great for the super fans in St John's but quite tough on the players as it would involve a lot more travel to and from the Rock. Management would have to consider that and also what they have already invested in marketing the team in Hamilton. In the end, even if the Toronto organization wanted to move, I would expect the Montreal organization would be a lot more reluctant...although history has had the farm in all sort of places: Halifax, Fredericton, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Hamilton, to name a few.
Why would Montreal agree to an arrangement that means their players are more difficult to get to? Makes no sense. Why would they do this favour to the Maple Leafs as well?

Old
03-11-2004, 04:55 PM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Why would Montreal agree to an arrangement that means their players are more difficult to get to? Makes no sense. Why would they do this favour to the Maple Leafs as well?
I say move it back to Sherbrooke or Quebec, that way they are a quick drive away.

Old
03-11-2004, 05:37 PM
jimnevets

The travel required because of being in Newfoundland is no more than what they will experience when they go to the NHL, why is that a problem?

Generally, the closer a team is to the parent club, the worse it is, very few teams have their AHL club in the same state or province because it doesn't work. It is better for the AHL club to be far away and need to work hard to get back to the big club.

Hamilton is not doing great with attendance but the games where St. John's are in town are different. St. John's attendeance is down because the Leafs don't put many quality players there, not their fault of course, they don't have many :-)
If the Hamilton team was in St. John's, the rink would be filled every night. It would be a win-win situation and that is why it is being discussed.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, just that it is being discussed and it makes sense.

Old
03-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Razorblade

Quote:
The travel required because of being in Newfoundland is no more than what they will experience when they go to the NHL, why is that a problem?

Generally, the closer a team is to the parent club, the worse it is, very few teams have their AHL club in the same state or province because it doesn't work. It is better for the AHL club to be far away and need to work hard to get back to the big club.

Hamilton is not doing great with attendance but the games where St. John's are in town are different. St. John's attendeance is down because the Leafs don't put many quality players there, not their fault of course, they don't have many :-)
If the Hamilton team was in St. John's, the rink would be filled every night. It would be a win-win situation and that is why it is being discussed.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, just that it is being discussed and it makes sense.
When the Oilers left, there was a certain lull over Hamilton as to why they should cheer for this team, as all new players had been brought in. Gone were Brian Swanson, Jason Chimera, Chad Hinz, Ty Conklin, all the guys Hamilton fans could identify with. They knew Benny Grats, but a lot of the other guys were new to the team. Obviously the fans can identify with them now, what only 1 month till playoffs, and clear day rosters being released soon.

Hamilton has been doing great in attendance since Mid December, averaging over 5000 a game, and had quite a string of 6000 attendances. And it will only get better as they go towards the playoffs. This trend has occurred ever since they came to Hamilton, except for the first year, even though they made it to the Calder Cup. But no doubt, it is better when the Leafs come in, they are even going to open the upper bowl for the game on March 26th, but there is also a huge charity event happening during the game as well.

And next year, the attendance will be great. People will be clamouring for hockey to watch as the NHL's millionaires will be sitting at home, strike or lockout, whatever the case is.

As far as the two teams switching, like montreal said, its a pipedream. There's no way the Hamilton ownership group would allow this, and yes they do have control over things like this, as if they dont want the Leafs, they aren't going to take them. Montreal wouldn't pull out after one year either, its not good for marketing, the whole area, which does have a lot of Habs fans, would hate them if they ever decided to switch with the Leafs.

I think they've got a three year agreement they have to commit to with Hamilton, even though i think its signed past that. And why leave Hamilton, where the attendance is rising, for a place where the Leafs want to pull their team out of?

Last edited by Razorblade: 03-11-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old
03-11-2004, 07:54 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:

Comparing a callup travelling from Newfoundland to his NHL game to, the regular season travel and NHLer does makes no sense.

Never does the NHL callup and say, we need the Montreal Canadiens in LA in 6 hours for a game. However, minor leaguers are routinely on 'emergency recall' and as such, having them accesible is hugely important.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:35 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Hey Montreal, it is not nuts and it can happen.

Toronto don't want to keep their AHL team here in St. John's anymore because they want the city to pay more than the city is willing to pay. Toronto are actively looking for a new place and the idea is to extend the contract here so it matches the one in Hamilton and then switch players. There will still be a team in Hamilton. The group may own the team but not the players and it doesn't matter which players are there.

Yea it is nuts. The management team not only signed on for 5 years but they also got an option for another 5 years. Why would they give this up? Why relocate again after taking over the team fully for the first time this year. Maybe down the road, but even then it makes no sense. I don't believe this will happen, if so I'll eat a big helping of crow.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
if so, where?

I just watched him play for the first time. It was the Dogs/Moose game from last month (where Balej makes his sick move off his skate, and the Hainsey interview) and I have to say I was impressed. He played well, especially considering his team got shelled 6-0. He was wearing the A and overall I found his game to be decent. He's got ok size, good skating, speed, a nice shot. Had a few chances on the PP, and aside from a gaff or 2 in his own end (one play he just stood there while he let Perezhogin walk in and take a shot, which I have no idea what he was thinking as he never moved) but he seems to have decent skills.

I had heard he's borderline ECHL, but not in this game. He still wont' make the top 20, but it's a good move for the Dogs to get some additional help, especially if Dykhuis isn't returned. Hopefully I get to see him more a few times this year if not for sure next year as one game isn't much to go off of. Still for Blouin who was imo not going to be resigned this summer when he contract was up, Gainey got a solid return for one of the worst hockey players I've seen in some time.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:58 PM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Still for Blouin who was imo not going to be resigned this summer when he contract was up, Gainey got a solid return for one of the worst hockey players I've seen in some time.
I agree, i still dont know how gainey managed to get that much in return for a player with no potential, and probably will never play a game for VAN city.

Old
03-12-2004, 07:46 AM
mcphee

Wasn't franchise relocation a rumour started by someone looking to get leverage in a lease negotiation from the St.John's side ? Wasn't this exposed at the time as a tactic and that in fact no talks were taking place ? Seems to me that there was a thread exposing this a few months ago.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

I had heard he's borderline ECHL, but not in this game. He still wont' make the top 20, but it's a good move for the Dogs to get some additional help, especially if Dykhuis isn't returned. Hopefully I get to see him more a few times this year if not for sure next year as one game isn't much to go off of. Still for Blouin who was imo not going to be resigned this summer when he contract was up, Gainey got a solid return for one of the worst hockey players I've seen in some time.
I've seen him play a few times. First rate skating and a nice shot. Completely clueless in the defensive zone and routinely makes scary plays that can drive a coach nuts. I wonder if he shouldn't be a forward instead? A project to be sure but better than Blouin I'll agree.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:13 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
There is absolutely, positively, NO chance that this will happen. I'm afraid this makes no sense on any level - so many questions:

WHY would the Canadiens, who are having a successful season on the ice and in their relationship with the people of Hamilton, even consider pulling up roots again? It was only last season they came to Hamilton.

WHY would the Canadiens, if they decided for some reason to leave Hamilton, be interested in St. John's, a city which by all accounts is losing interest in AHL hockey with little hope of renewing enthusiasm, what with their former Atlantic Canadian rivals all folded?

HOW would the ownership group of the Hamilton Canadiens ever get out of their five-year agreement? WHY would they want to?

... it goes on and on.

I'm not saying that I don't wish, for the St John's fans sakes, the Habs relocated there.... just that it won't happen.

Closed Thread