HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Changing blade on a onepiece

Old
08-29-2007, 10:48 AM
AliensMadeMeDoIt

vCash: 500
Changing blade on a onepiece

My kid got a onepiece lefthanded composite stick today from one of the players on the local team. But he's a righthanded shot and being just 8 (almost 9) he really wants to use it.

Is it possible to saw of the blade and put in a new blade or is the dimensions of the shaft and the blades you can buy wrong??? It's a TPS if it's any help not that I think it matters.

Thanks in advance.

AliensMadeMeDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 12:07 PM
hockeyjoe_16

I've done what your asking about to a TPS. I was putting a wood blade in because I had broken the blade and wanted to keep the shaft. I did have to shave down the hose on the blade some to do it though. Hope this helps.

Joe

hockeyjoe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 12:41 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Is it tapered at the bottom? Because if it is, then you need to put a replacement blade at the other end.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 01:01 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjoe_16 View Post
I've done what your asking about to a TPS. I was putting a wood blade in because I had broken the blade and wanted to keep the shaft. I did have to shave down the hose on the blade some to do it though. Hope this helps.

Joe
You could have used a tapered blade and not had to shave the hosel down.

Most one piece sticks are actually a shaft and blade fused together. There are exceptions of course (Warrior Mac Daddy, Bauer Vapor XXX-lite, Innovative True 1).

You can probably see the point where the blade attaches to the shaft under the paint. You can use a heat gun and try to pull the blade out, or you can cut it close to that point and remove the left over pieces inside. If you manage to do that (not uncommon) and buy a tapered blade. You will end up with pretty much the same stick you started with. You won't notice a difference in performance.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
RangersAM99

i broke my M1 mission on the lower part of the stick i just trimmed it up with a saw and go a blade- it works find just make sure you get a blade that will fit without moving

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 01:53 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

If it's a senior shaft, you'll want to be aware that it'll be an insanely stiff stick since you're probably cutting it down so much.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 02:36 PM
AZCOYOT

My favorite sticks, even more so than a once piece is the shaft of a once piece plus a wood blade, best of both worlds. I almost look forward to my blade going on my one piece sticks. lol

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 02:46 PM
sc37

vCash: 713
With the TPS I think you can just heat it and pull and the blade should come out.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
servettien

what do you think goes on with the flex of the stick??

servettien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 06:03 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by servettien View Post
what do you think goes on with the flex of the stick??
I'm assuming he'll cut it shorter too for his kid which would make the stick stiffer.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 06:14 PM
servettien

and i mind the local player is an adult, i had played with a stick to stiff and i could not shot with this stick!

servettien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Nosebleed Section

Yeah so basically Ill try and some everything up.
1) Find Where the blade parts stops and the actual shaft is. You should be able to do this just by tapping it and hearing whether its hollow.

2)Cut a bit below (about an inch aprox.) where you find where its hollow. Try and cut it as straight as possible, a hackswa is probaly your tool of choice.

3) Find out if it's tapered (FYI tapered is just where the shaft is skinnier at the bot) or not, you could post additional info and I'm sure someone could proably find out, or if you have any spare blades around the home you can eyeball them to see if they fit. You can also just take the stick into the store you go to to buy the replacement blade and they should be able to tell you. If you bought a wood blade you can also shave it down to fit the shaft.

4) Now once you have your fitting blade tapered or not you just heat your shaft and insert like a 2 peice.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 09:17 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensMadeMeDoIt View Post
My kid got a onepiece lefthanded composite stick today from one of the players on the local team. But he's a righthanded shot and being just 8 (almost 9) he really wants to use it.

Is it possible to saw of the blade and put in a new blade or is the dimensions of the shaft and the blades you can buy wrong??? It's a TPS if it's any help not that I think it matters.

Thanks in advance.
It should be mentioned your kid would be better off with a stick suited to his age and level. At that age he's better off with a Jr. wood stick or a Jr. shaft and blade combo.

Old
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
AliensMadeMeDoIt

Thanks for the response. Yes I know he should probably play with a junior stick but he has always played better with cut down senior sticks. I think he's a little to young and small yet to use the flex of the stick. I've promised him a brand new composite for next year if he performs up to the level he's capable of this winter. If so I'll try to find a stick that he can flex. Probably a little on the soft side so he really can learn to use the flex of the stick. Still he's got one of the top three shots on the team using a senior wood stick and being the youngest on the team.

Old
08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
stick9

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Yes I know he should probably play with a junior stick but he has always played better with cut down senior sticks. I think he's a little to young and small yet to use the flex of the stick. I've promised him a brand new composite for next year if he performs up to the level he's capable of this winter. If so I'll try to find a stick that he can flex. Probably a little on the soft side so he really can learn to use the flex of the stick. Still he's got one of the top three shots on the team using a senior wood stick and being the youngest on the team.
When the time comes maybe go with an intermediate stick. It will be stiffer then a Jr. with a smaller shaft diameter so it's easier for little hands to grip. Plus he can use it all the way up into high school.

Any luck getting the blade out?

Old
09-02-2007, 03:49 AM
AliensMadeMeDoIt

I'm no expert on removing blades but heating it didn't help. The stick is long enough so I'll be sawing it of.

Old
09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
nodq

Quote:
I'm no expert on removing blades but heating it didn't help. The stick is long enough so I'll be sawing it of.
If it's actually a SOLID one piece, heating won't do anything.

What are you using to heat it up? Hopefully a heat gun.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote