HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Offsides Q

Old
08-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Dr-Pepper

vCash: 500
Offsides Q

Is it offsides if you skate backwards with the puck in control? I am positive you can't put yourself offsides but my friend seems to think you can. Wiki says you can't but you can't really go on that. Thanks.

Dr-Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

"In control" is a rather subjective term. It depends on the discretion of the referee of whether you had "control" of the puck or not.

If you are deemed to be "in control" of the puck, yes, you can skate over the blue line backwards and be onside.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 10:19 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Pepper View Post
Is it offsides if you skate backwards with the puck in control? I am positive you can't put yourself offsides but my friend seems to think you can. Wiki says you can't but you can't really go on that. Thanks.
Yup like DW said, if you are in possession and control of the puck in the opinion of the ref/linesman then you are indeed going into the zone onside, even if your skating backwards.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 09:33 PM
XweekendwarriorX

You cant go over the blue line with both skates before the puck goes all the way over it.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 10:31 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
You cant go over the blue line with both skates before the puck goes all the way over it.
That's what I thought.....

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 11:13 PM
hockeyismylife

Rule 72. Off-sides
(a) Players of the attacking team must not precede the
puck into the attacking zone.
Note 1: If a pass deflects off a defending player, his
skates or his stick, causing an attacking player to precede
the puck into the attacking zone, the off-side rule
shall apply.
Note 2: A player actually propelling the puck who shall
cross the line ahead of the puck, shall not be considered
off-side, providing he is actually in possession and
control of the puck with one skate in the neutral zone
before crossing the blue line.

Note 2 is applicable.

hockeyismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
XweekendwarriorX

well thanks for stating what i just said lol. i you can control the puck all you want and have 1 foot over the line and 1 foot not over the line and you wont b offsides but if turn your butt around and go in butt first and both skates come over the line than your offsides if you didnt read the whole rule lol.

Old
08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
MikeD

you need to check the latest updates.

A player may back into the offensive zone, have both skates or just one and the other off the ice and be on-side, If they are in control of the puck. Local Refs have told us that their interpretation of that means the puck is ON THE PLAYERS BLADE(in contact with) until the puck has crossed the blue line. Should the puck leave the players stick prior to completely entering the offensive zone, the play is whistled off-sides.

In other words, they may drag it in BUT the puck must have been on the stick prior to the skate/s crossing and must remain in contact with the stick until it has crossed the blue line.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 10:14 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Thats not how they taught us in NY at school. as soon as that second skate goes over and the puck is not over the blue line its off sides and if he brings the puck over than we have to call it.

Old
09-01-2007, 01:52 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Thats not how they taught us in NY at school. as soon as that second skate goes over and the puck is not over the blue line its off sides and if he brings the puck over than we have to call it.
Ok well then you heard it wrong. Or they taught you wrong.

Because that is 100% incorrect.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 07:00 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I highly doubt the top High School league in NY state would be teaching its refs wrong rules. but if you can show me the actual rule that says both skates can be over the blue line and not be offsides ill be more than happy to say you were right.

Old
09-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
I highly doubt the top High School league in NY state would be teaching its refs wrong rules. but if you can show me the actual rule that says both skates can be over the blue line and not be offsides ill be more than happy to say you were right.
X

What you said was correct at one time. How long ago were you taught it?

Also some leagues use different rules. For example at one time in US college hockey you could only body check in your own zone.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 07:44 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
That's what I thought.....
I was always told the puck had to be in the offensive zone before your entire body is....

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
MikeD

Quote:
The fact that this is just HS hockey explains much. They tend to be the last to get with the latest. bottom line is to talk with your officiating body and go with their interpretations. If it is different than the most current, you can only wait until your league gets up to date.

go to USAHOCKEY.COM and download the casebook. Page 192 contains the info your looking for

"Rule 626 Off-Sides:
(a) Players of an attacking team may not precede the puck into
the Attacking Zone.
(Note) A player actually propelling and in possession and
control of the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the
puck shall not be considered “off-side.”

Last edited by MikeD: 09-02-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old
09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
XweekendwarriorX

that part was explained to us as the skate is in the air over the line thats just how the Federation told us. but some leagues do have different rules. i Know the Fed might be going with an overtime rule within the next year.

Old
09-03-2007, 11:26 AM
MikeD

FED can be a bit different in its interpretations, for sure. Thier inconsistancy with USA is well documented and one of the reasons that Travel has its break. Allowing players to enjoy their HS play and not have to deal with the differences in rule of play.

Its strange because their interpretations disregard the control and possession aspects of the onsides rule. The USA casebook leaves very little ambiguity in its statement. FED can be a bit arrogant and paranoid(goalie placement). Regardless, the players love to be part of their school teams and I am very glad they continue to work so hard to keep Ice Hockey in the High Schools.

I have no idea why FED has this need to disregard the interpretations of USA. They have always taken the position of being different. When my youngest reaches FED playing age, I am very glad it will be as a goalie. These differences will have little impact on his position. His biggest issue is going to be the extra requirements placed on goalies wishing to play FED who are not in the district of an established team. he will undoubtedly be forced to play for East Aurora.

Old
09-03-2007, 05:37 PM
XweekendwarriorX

He could always go to st.Francis HS if his public school is not in FED league. the league has grown greatly from its inception in 1991 from 8 teams to 16 teams now. I always wanted to play in that league and the year i became a freshman in HS my school made the jump into the league and a couple of college coaches said they dont even bother to look at other leagues in the WNY area because the talent is all moving to the FED league.

Old
09-03-2007, 05:55 PM
MikeD

St Fran isnt an option. regadless, HS hockey isnt getting big looks. Most are aware that FED and Explorer were not nearly as competetive as the Tier I programs in both WNYAHL and EWAHL. Since his HS has no hockey team playing FED or Explorer is just a way to eliminate the forced mid-season break that happens at the bantam major and midget levels.

Old
09-05-2007, 05:08 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I played 5 games in the Explorer league as a backup for my HS the year Kenmore East won it in 2000 and every game i played in we dominated and i didnt like the competition. Than the next year we got word that we were moving to FED. as soon as we started are 1st season in FED we already had or 4 scouts from JR and a couple from college teams to watch are players. one scout even commented to one of the players dad that he never even knew the talent on our roster and moving here was the best thing to happen. im not saying other leagues are bad but the orchard park coach also said the same thing after winning south towns league the last 12 years.

Old
09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
MikeD

Fed is defintely a higher caliber than Explorer but no Fed team could compete against a Wheatfield Tier I, Grand Niagara Tier II, WS Tier I etc etc. They would get destroyed. I believe it is due to these USA tier teams that FED is as competetive as it is. The Core players are trained and coached for months in their respective Travel associations and move into FED because USA has agread to the mid season break. With out that FED teams wouldnt be able to ice a team.

Old
09-05-2007, 06:58 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I have to agree with that statement except i think that 2 maybe 3 teams could compete with them like St.Joes, Williamsville North and Sweet Home and Sweet Home i think only because most of them do play for Wheatfield. But i am looking forward to seeing Niagara Falls and Clearence this year in the FED for there first year should be another great year.