HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Did You Become a Pens Fan?

Old
08-30-2007, 05:40 PM
The Beav

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Beav
Sudden Death starring JCVD

The Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 08:30 PM
petrskudra1

birth

petrskudra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 08:55 PM
McCrosby

Mario skates up the ice against the Minnesota North Stars, splits the D with a stunning move. He then gets the goalie to totally bite in one direction and easily slides the puck and himself into the net.

Instant favourite player and favourite team.

McCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 05:04 AM
Dead in a motel room

I became a hockey fan after seeing the Wings win the cup over the Flyers. I went out and bought NHL '99 on playstation but didn't know the rules or what was going on. Offsides, icing, two line pass, or even home and away jerseys. I was going to go for the Wings but found it easier to play with a team with a dark jersey and the Pens away jersey was the darkest so I played with them. They just grew on me and now am obsessed with Hhockey and the Pens. My first tattoo was the Pens logo.

Dead in a motel room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Onan

I became a fan of the penguins because i like the style they had played from year (about) 1988 onwards. Usually lots of scoring & lots of talent. Very entertaining !

Onan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
GlennTheFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrskudra1 View Post
birth
Amen.

GlennTheFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
diligent_d

In Junior High, back in 1990-91, I knew nothing about hockey. I had been a baseball fan for several years, but decided to expand my horizons and learn about hockey. I mean, I was so green I didn't know what power plays were, offsides, nothing. So I became pretty voracious and started reading up and studying whatever I could get my hands on.

As the playoffs neared, the Penguins stood out in my mind as a team that could advance pretty deep - I began telling all the other hockey nuts that the Pens would win a lot of games. All the other die-hards were espousing the Flames, Bruins, Kings, Blackhawks, and other strong teams and basically laughed at me. When it came time for the Playoff hockey pool (I think it was a $100 pot with about 20 people), I kept picking Penguin players over potentially more flashy players because I felt the Pens could advance pretty far.

When the Pens began advancing through the first couple of rounds, people stopped laughing. In the Finals, everyone was cheering for the cinderalla North Stars. But by then I was hooked on the Pens. They won the series, I won the pool, and the rest is history.

diligent_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins123 View Post
I thought this would create some discussion on how you became a Pittsburgh Penguins fan!

For me? I just remember watching Penguins games with my dad when I was real young. He rooted for them so I thought it was right to root for them too. Then I saw Lemieux score an AMAZING goal and he instantly became my favorite player. I just watched him game after game and the Penguins just then grew on me. So in a way me becoming a Penguins fan was because of my dad and Mario Lemieux. To this day I know that I made the right choice of being a Pens fan!!

So how did you become a Penguins fan?

They won me in a lottery.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Croc

Send a message via ICQ to Croc
NHL 99 and the fact that when i started watching hockey games the pens where on foxtel every other week oh and Jagr ( I never would have picked the pens in NHL 99 if they didn't have Jagr)

Croc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Good to see a few Aussies on here. I think there are more Pens fans in australia than any other NHL team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead in a motel room View Post
I became a hockey fan after seeing the Wings win the cup over the Flyers. I went out and bought NHL '99 on playstation but didn't know the rules or what was going on. Offsides, icing, two line pass, or even home and away jerseys. I was going to go for the Wings but found it easier to play with a team with a dark jersey and the Pens away jersey was the darkest so I played with them. They just grew on me and now am obsessed with Hhockey and the Pens. My first tattoo was the Pens logo.
Good to see you're supporting the local team as well. Too bad about the finals...again

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:47 AM
pensrule

I believe it was '81, ao years old, the year the Pens had a 3-1 series lead (I believe)on the Islanders. They were winning, what could have been the decisive game, late in the 3rd period and Carlyle misplays the puck off the boards and NYI scores, well you know how that story ended. Used to watch the 10 or so games that were televised and listen to the others on the radio. I really got into it when Mario came along and have been a hockey freak ever since!

pensrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Dead in a motel room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson T View Post
Good to see a few Aussies on here. I think there are more Pens fans in australia than any other NHL team.

Good to see you're supporting the local team as well. Too bad about the finals...again
Yeah, that was a sickener after how well Melbourne played this season. I noticed a few Penguin fans at the games. I was the fat one in the Crosby jersey.

Dead in a motel room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Uncle Jorgi

'88-'89 season my brother-in-law took me to a game against the Kings. At the time i'd know idea who Lemieux even was. My love for the game and the team was cinched by the end of the first period.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:40 PM
MeLoveHockey

I became a pens fan starting around 2000. I watched hockey before that, but not as passionately as i do now. There was one game, i believe it was the Sabres Pens series where Lemieux scored that goal in game 6 to tie the game, i jumped off of my couch and some little kid with his mom walking outside pointed at me, and i hurried up and ducked down. It was pretty funny. And i didn't really want to start a new thread for this clip, so i figured i'd put it in here. Mods you can delete this clip, but be ready to get goosebumps after this goal. I know i did!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oDHp89HToXk

MeLoveHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
I was watching ice hockey for the first time ever in our living room, when I turned my head and looked out the window, I saw 2 penguins having vigorous yet tender coitus in our backyard. From then on I started following the Pens.

Moral of this story: Misplaced animal sex -> fandom

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

I was a die-hard Winnipeg Jets fan 'til they tore my guts out and left for warmer climes.

After being without a team for 10 years, finally sick of half-heartedly watching hockey games without having any real care as to whether who won or lost (save international tourneys ), the lockout made me realize that I needed to get out of my stanky funk.

This revelation just happened to coincide with the drafting of some fancypants maritime kid, and I figured I'd cheer on whoever he fell to. Not really a bandwagon jumper, seeing as how I was a dedicated Pens fan throughout the lackluster '05-'06 season, but I definitely started cheering for the team because of Sid.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 11:46 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPen View Post
I was watching ice hockey for the first time ever in our living room, when I turned my head and looked out the window, I saw 2 penguins having vigorous yet tender coitus in our backyard. From then on I started following the Pens.

Moral of this story: Misplaced animal sex -> fandom
Where the hell did you grow up?

I was born into a family of Pens fans and so will my kids, someday.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
Where the hell did you grow up?
Nashville TN.

Meanwhile in the front yard there were 2 Sabretooth tigers fornicating. Hence my second favorite team is the Preds.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 12:05 AM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPen View Post
Nashville TN.

Meanwhile in the front yard there were 2 Sabretooth tigers fornicating. Hence my second favorite team is the Preds.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Tommy Boy
2011 Cup Champs!!!

Send a message via AIM to Tommy Boy Send a message via MSN to Tommy Boy
When I was a real young kid maybe 5 or 6 I saw the Bruins and the Pens playing and the uniforms were the same colors and for a kid that young it was all it really took I was hooked since...When I was younger my 2 favorite players were Neely and Mario I idolized them both. I have been hooked on 2 teams since...For quite a few years the Bruins games I go to are almost always the Penguins games...I saw the Mario 1000th assist game here in Boston I believe it was one of Kovalev's last games as a Penguin...Lalime was another one of my favorite Penguins.

I been to a bunch of B's Pens games....I want to get to Mellon before it closes but with back surgery impending I doubt it will happen.

Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Levizk

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh so it's only natural. The Penguins were of course number 3 on my list after the Pirates and Steelers until the mid 90s when the Pirates surrendered their right to being called a major league baseball franchise. Kind of funny that at one time the Pirates were my favorite team in professional sports, but now it's a toss up between the Steelers and Pens.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 08:43 AM
NastyNick

Well it started for me when my family moved out to western PA. My oldest brother was an islander fan (specifically Mike Bossy fan) while me and my younger brothers cheered on the pens + newly drafted Mario Lemeiux. My youngest pens memory is having the VHS tape of the penguins 1989 season + playoff run "Theres a team in the building". I probably watched that a hundred times over the course of the summer. (i was 8 at the time). Favorite moment was the complete thrashing of the Flyers the night mario had 8 points. Ron Hextall freaking out and chasing us down the ice after mario wrapped one around the net for his fifth g of the night.

I remember the cup runs vaguely though the actual games and goals all seem to run together. I still have all the VHS tapes of those playoffs and i pop em in occasionally. One other cool Pens memory was going to the Soviet Red Army vs Penguins in 1989 game. Still have that one on VHS too.. its amazing the guys that the soviets had on that team and amazing the pens won! Federov, Bure, Mogilny, Zubov, Konstantinov.. just to name a few. I think we were the only team to beat them on that tour.

And fwiw the 93 playoffs still haunt me to this very day... that was a great tragedy in sports. the sucky islanders, of all teams, beating the greatest Penguins team ever assembled... That woulda led to the most classic stanley cup match up of all time. Mario's Pens vs Wayne's Kings. Woulda been one for the ages...

The Rangers buying a cup then the Devils winning one w/ their garbage style kinda turned me off to hockey for a while. But Marios comeback and now Crosby has me back 100%.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Mario Lemieux's cancer story was refuge for me when I was diagnosed a year after him.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 12:58 PM
PensFan27

Send a message via AIM to PensFan27 Send a message via Yahoo to PensFan27
Cause i liked hockey and i lived in pittsburgh.

PensFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 03:10 PM
GLM

i was born in pgh and i played hockey at like age 6 (same yr mario arrived). followed the pens and loved that guy mario since my mom and dad would watch the games and i just followed what they did. he was my fav athlete growing up and i have tons of stuff auto'd up. anyway i remember going to my first game and it was the pens vs the oilers and wayne messyface and kurri destroyed us like 8-1 or something. my dad said something like "that is the greatest player in hockey wearing #99 for the other team...his name is wayne gretzky (it was in like 85 or 86) but i dindt care i was just watching mario. been hooked ever since.

my eyes greatest player ever.

then we started getting good in the late 89 i think we just missed the playoffs and then the 90s came. tons of fun. i remember just about every place i was for that first playoff cup run. great time to be a pens fan. we won the cup but i wasnt allowed to go to the celebration at the point but the following year my mom and i rolled to the TRS and watched Trots slide on the tarp. awesome time...one of my fave pgh moments ever.

got to go to every round of the playoffs except to the stanely cup games...my dads company wouldnt give him tix for the series vs minny or vs chi...but owell. had a great time.

now with the "kids" playing and being almost 30 its awesome to see hockey becoming popular again and the pens getting some much needed support from the town and across the nation.

pens rule! lovem cant wait to get my season tix today when i get home! go pens!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote