HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Lubo for Zubov straight up?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Lubo for Zubov straight up?
Yes 23 36.51%
No 40 63.49%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
So why would you risk tiring your player who is already #1 in TOI/game by putting him on the penalty kill when you have 2 very capable players who are more than willing to play in the shorthanded situations?
Because he can play 30 minutes a night without getting tired. All he needs is a pack of unfiltereds between each period, and he can play forever.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Because he can play 30 minutes a night without getting tired. All he needs is a pack of unfiltereds between each period, and he can play forever.
Well I can't argue with that one.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
The Puck

Lubo for Zubo is a nono

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
secondly for Mr. GM I think you are insane. You just said you would pass up the chance to trade straight up for a player you yourself think is BETTER then the one you would be trading. Maybe Im just molded after the Dallas Stars, because my team would make a trade for a better player ALL THE TIME. Dallas is always competitive and always at the top of the league because they are interested in competing NOW.
OK Alistar.. looks like the consensus agreed with me. Both on the Dallas board and the Kings board. From the Kings perspective, it would not make sense to trade a player like Lubo for Zubov. Until the Kings goaltending is shored up you will not see a "core" player traded unless the person coming back is a bonafide #1 goaltender or there is ridiculous overpayment.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Alistar

well I'll take solice in the fact that I won the main battle on the polls section ^^
also your post in this thread wasnt worded very well - When you ask "would you trade Lubo for Zubov straight up?", Dallas fans will answer from a Dallas perspective - NO we would not trade Zubov for Lubo straight up. I know thats what I did. =p
But yeah, seeing as the general public agreed with me, I'll chalk this one up as a victory ^^

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
That's how I saw it as well.....I wouldn't trade Lubo for Zubov straight up if I had Zubov, no way.

Also, found it pretty funny how on the Kings board, they weren't even using age as a reason; many of them still think Lubo is better than Zubov.

08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Clearly both of you lack reading comprehension as I indicated that it was to be from a Kings perspective (see the bolded below). Did you not read that? I think both poll results clearly show that, from a Kings perspective, we would not trade Lubo for Zubov straight up.

And the debate stemmed around your opinion that the Kings management would be nuts not to make that trade. Which shows you that you really don't know much about the direction of the Kings right now (I wouldn't expect you too). But then you probably should do a little research on that before making those inaccurate statements. It's quite clear that Kings fans and it appears other fans of NHL teams and Dallas Stars fans wouldn't make that trade from the Kings perspective. You can rationalize all you want but I put it right there in that first post that it was to be from, again, the KINGS PERSPECTIVE.

The only reason I put the poll in the Dallas forum is because you whined when i put it in the Kings forum where it belongs. Both polls got similar results. You can't argue with that. I could careless if the Stars would or wouldn't make that trade because I am not a Stars fan. Only steers and well you know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
This questions stems from this thread...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=411596

According to this Stars fan, the Kings would be stupid NOT to trade Lubo straight up for Zubov. So from a Kings perspective (since, according to the poster in that thread, there is no way the Stars would do this) would you trade Lubomir Visnovsky for Sergei Zubov straight up?

Again, if you are a fan of another team, I want your opinion from the Kings perspective. This is a team with a much more glaring need than defense.

EDIT: I don't know how much clearer I can make this. If you are Dean Lombardi and today you just got offered Zubov for Lubo straight up do you do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
value-wise clearly a yes. Zubos is better than Visnovsky an probably will be better until he retires.

The only question would be if La wants success the enxt 2-3 years or would rather go a longer route....for the 2nd case the trade wouldn't make sense
And there is the definitive answer. The Kings will not be successful the next 2-3 years without a legitimate goaltender. Nobody knows whether Zubov will play in 2 years, if he will still be the same player, how much salary he will demand and has the risk that if he sustained a year long injury, he could be done for good with salary on the books. Not a risk the Kings should or would take considering they know how much they are paying Lubo the next 5 years. Got it? Or do I need to explain that 8 more times for you?

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 08-31-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old
08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
And there is the definitive answer. The Kings will not be successful the next 2-3 years without a legitimate goaltender. Nobody knows whether Zubov will play in 2 years, if he will still be the same player, how much salary he will demand and has the risk that if he sustained a year long injury, he could be done for good with salary on the books. Not a risk the Kings should or would take considering they know how much they are paying Lubo the next 5 years. Got it? Or do I need to explain that 8 more times for you?
Just a couple of points.

A.) If Zubov sustains a year-long injury, he will go on LTIR and his salary will not be on the books. He will also more than likely be on year-to-year contracts (a la Sakic) at this point in his career so any retirement clause doesn't come back to bite Dallas. But as long as he wants to play, the Stars will want him to play for them.

B.) I'm not sure I'd necessarily be proud that the Kings won't compete for anything significant in the next 2-3 years. The failure to address a very big hole when some very big names at that position have been moved recently indicates a front office failure. As confident as you guys are in LaBarbarra (or however you spell that), bringing up a rookie goalie to be a full time stater is a recipe for disaster. You want a guy who can eat minutes with at least an adequate GAA/save percentage to take the pressure off the rookie.

C.) The whole question is really kind of pointless because it really has nothing about the skill or relative value of the players involved. All it really says is the Kings aren't very good right now and therefore want younger guys. You could ask the same question with guys who are even further apart in age or skill level and get similar results, especially around these boards where such a premium is placed on youth.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Benched

vCash: 157
Last two years:

Visnovsky: 35, 90, 125, +8, 76
Zubov: 25, 100, 125, +20, 76

Zubov is still better defensively but considering age, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Visnovsky is a much hotter commodity.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Just a couple of points.

A.) If Zubov sustains a year-long injury, he will go on LTIR and his salary will not be on the books. He will also more than likely be on year-to-year contracts (a la Sakic) at this point in his career so any retirement clause doesn't come back to bite Dallas. But as long as he wants to play, the Stars will want him to play for them.
That's great I could careless what the Stars do with him. The point is, in the hypothetical the Kings traded for him, I would assume they would want him for more than two years. At the end of two years, his cap hit will be on the books regardless if he is on the IR or not. So if he was signed after two years, got hurt and decided to quit, the Kings would be paying him.

He may go year to year with the Stars but again there is no guarantee there. Especially if he ended up playing on a 9th place Kings team the next two seasons.

Again, these are reasons the Kings wouldn't make this trade. Reasons they wouldn't be stupid too.

Quote:
B.) I'm not sure I'd necessarily be proud that the Kings won't compete for anything significant in the next 2-3 years. The failure to address a very big hole when some very big names at that position have been moved recently indicates a front office failure. As confident as you guys are in LaBarbarra (or however you spell that), bringing up a rookie goalie to be a full time stater is a recipe for disaster. You want a guy who can eat minutes with at least an adequate GAA/save percentage to take the pressure off the rookie.
Who said I am proud that the Kings won't compete for anything significant in the next 2-3 years? Unfortunately, that is reality whether you or I like it. I have been dealing with this my whole life. They finally got a GM that is doer not a sayer. He has a plan and I like what I see so far. The Kings are vastly different team and organization than they were 2 years ago.

What big names were available? Biron? Toskala? Fernandez? Biron isn't exactly a big name, albeit more than likely a better goalie than what we have. Toskala would not be traded within the division without vast overpayment. Again, not a very viable option. And finally, Manny Fernandez and his $4 mil or whatever he makes wouldn't really fit well when we already have a dope named Cloutier being paid $3.1 mil a season.

Our only hope is that Cloutier can win half of his games and Labarbera shows the promise he had in October of 2005, April of 2006 at the NHL level and can carry his game that he played in the AHL last season with him to the NHL. That and the other 2-3 cast of characters they have signed.

If Cloutier plays as bad as he did last season and Labarbera just can't cut it, we'll end up with another high draft pick next summer. In which case, more than likely, Cloutier would be bought out and we would use the assets we have aquired (draft picks and prospects) along with roster players, would be offered for a #1 goalie or we could potentially sign a UFA next summer as well.

Quote:
C.) The whole question is really kind of pointless because it really has nothing about the skill or relative value of the players involved. All it really says is the Kings aren't very good right now and therefore want younger guys. You could ask the same question with guys who are even further apart in age or skill level and get similar results, especially around these boards where such a premium is placed on youth.
Well the whole idea is that it's absurd from either side. Something Mr/Mrs. Alistar can't grasp. The Kings don't need an old all star defenseman right now. They just don't. If he was a UFA, great. He isn't so there is no reason to give up assets that will be more valuable in the future for this team for a short term return when the Kings are looking 2-3 years down the road to be very competitive. Lubo isn't exactly young. He is 31 y/o and a core player of the Kings.

So reality is the Kings won't be competing for 2-3 years. They may make the playoffs this year. If they did they would be better off without Zubov's help. I am happy with what Lombardi has done with this team in the short time he has been there. If we had a solid #1 this year, it's quite possible we could finish ahead of you in the division.

Your team better strike while the iron is hot. Turco finally turned around his perennial playoff choker title and the team couldn't perform in front of him. If the Stars don't make something happen in the next few years, your teams situation might be looking just as bleak.

BTW.. the Zubov for Lubo proposal is something that Dave Taylor would've done to net short term benefits.