Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kunitz

Old
08-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Stevoinga

vCash: 500
Chris Kunitz

So who did we keep when we put this guy on waivers?

Whomever evaluated this guy missed the boat a bit

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...name=nhl-ducks

Stevoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
EliasFan

Did I read that right? Atlanta claimed him from Anaheim, only to have Anaheim claim him back 2 weeks later?

EliasFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 11:32 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I don't know, but Brian Burke and Don Waddell seem to work together on a lot of deals... maybe Burke begged for him and Waddell didn't mind letting him go on short evaluation. Or maybe the Thrashers have crap NHL scouts, or maybe Kunitz is just fluky?

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
He seems like a decent player. But let's see how good he plays this year if Selanne doesn't re-sign.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Waddell has brought in so many crappy hockey players over the years that he probably figured Kunitz was another crap player after not scoring a goal in TWO GAMES.

But Waddell is so wise, he lets Krog go to NYR after a lackluster call up from the AHL...and then picks him back up when NYR gets sick of him! DW stinks!!!

I saw Kunitz in practice, and what I saw was a decent skating guy with good hands and playmaking ability who is tough enough and willing to make things happen and pay the price. He also seemed like a good teammate, and communicated well with his linemates.

Nah, no reason to have a guy like that on the squad...pass another helping of the Rico Fata and Niko Kapanen gravvy!!! Mmmmm, taste that mediocrity!!!

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 06:59 AM

I was curious, so I ran an exhaustive search of this forum using the term "Kunitz".

I must say, I was quite shocked by the results. Apparently, at the time, everyone was indifferent to his failure to clear waivers on his way to Chicago. Not a thread to be found. Kunitz only shows up in 1 game thread, with the comment: "Kunitz may be making another waiver trip" (in regards to Kovalchuk's return, and Larsen's impressive play).

It took a full 6 months before another comment was made regarding the possibility of regreting the loss of Kunitz. A very tentative comment.

Now, according to several fan sites I lurk upon, it' all DW's fault for letting Kunitz get away! Of course, nevermind the fact that it was DW that took a flier on Kunitz and brought him to our attention in the first place. No, clearly, DW STINKS!

Classic stuff.

Last edited by #37: 08-30-2007 at 07:09 AM.
#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37 View Post
I was curious, so I ran an exhaustive search of this forum using the term "Kunitz".

I must say, I was quite shocked by the results. Apparently, at the time, everyone was indifferent to his failure to clear waivers on his way to Chicago. Not a thread to be found. Kunitz only shows up in 1 game thread, with the comment: "Kunitz may be making another waiver trip" (in regards to Kovalchuk's return, and Larsen's impressive play).

It took a full 6 months before another comment was made regarding the possibility of regreting the loss of Kunitz. A very tentative comment.

Now, according to several fan sites I lurk upon, it' all DW's fault for letting Kunitz get away! Of course, nevermind the fact that it was DW that took a flier on Kunitz and brought him to our attention in the first place. No, clearly, DW STINKS!

Classic stuff.
You have to keep in mind that it takes a little while for hindsight to develop. However, once it does, it's always 20/20.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Magnus Fulgur

No hindsight on my part, when I saw Kunitz at practice I thought he was a keeper. I sure didn't feel that way about Rico Fata.

The way that BH and DW tolerate mediocrity (if you're a vet you can slump for a whole half season) but do nothing to really bring new guys into the fold says to me "DW stinks".

Old
08-30-2007, 09:50 AM
swisdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
He seems like a decent player. But let's see how good he plays this year if Selanne doesn't re-sign.
No doubt about his capacity, he has played also in the second line and Carlyle said about me: I would like to have 2 Kunitz for my first and second lines.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
flerd_trandle

Why is no one in this thread lambasting Burke for waiving him first?

Kunitz plays left wing. After 2 games, were you ready to put him in either Kovalchuk or Kozlov's slot? If he had played RW he might have had a chance to take the second-line spot from Mellanby/Sim and play opposite Kovalchuk. Frankly, there wasn't an immediate spot for him on the top two lines during his short time with the team, so he was waived and reclaimed by Anaheim.

flerd_trandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Again, it's a lack of vision. Kunitz could have played RW, and he definitely could have taken Sim's or Mellanby's job away. There were huge doubts about the guy from Anaheim and Atlanta: I understand that - but it seemed clear to me that the guy was going to work out, he realized he was running out of chances.

Just like not developing Slater as a center and then throwing it wide open to a anarchic competition ruined Slippin' Slater and he spent the whole year running around manically playing unfocused hockey because Hartley just wants to see "Hustle".

DW brought in Vishnevski, Rucchin, Kapanen, Metro, and Sim last year. I mean, c'mon...if it wasn't for the fact that DW has better scouting in place, DW would be a disaster.

Old
08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Waddell has brought in so many crappy hockey players over the years that he probably figured Kunitz was another crap player after not scoring a goal in TWO GAMES.

But Waddell is so wise, he lets Krog go to NYR after a lackluster call up from the AHL...and then picks him back up when NYR gets sick of him! DW stinks!!!

I saw Kunitz in practice, and what I saw was a decent skating guy with good hands and playmaking ability who is tough enough and willing to make things happen and pay the price. He also seemed like a good teammate, and communicated well with his linemates.

Nah, no reason to have a guy like that on the squad...pass another helping of the Rico Fata and Niko Kapanen gravvy!!! Mmmmm, taste that mediocrity!!!
I wanted Sather to grab Kunitz and dump Hossa or Pock.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:

DW brought in Vishnevski, Rucchin, Kapanen, Metro, and Sim last year. I mean, c'mon...if it wasn't for the fact that DW has better scouting in place, DW would be a disaster.

Vishnevski was not a bad acquisition for several reasons:

1.) If you recall, Exelby was still iffy after the concussion. So, having a spare physically punishing d-man on roster during camp and the begining of the season was just covering all bases.

2.) Once Exelby was back in the fold (recovered from mono and the concussion, etc.) DW turned Vishnevsky into Belanger. Not a bad profit, eh?

I still think its funny that DW gets no credit for sniffing out the talent in Kunitz when he was a nobody. And, yes Flerd, Burke gets all the credit because he was the first to risk him through waivers. Funny stuff.

Old
08-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
No hindsight on my part, when I saw Kunitz at practice I thought he was a keeper. I sure didn't feel that way about Rico Fata.
or Marc Savard. I remember you wanting to dump that "fat, lazy, floater who couldn't cut it in the swiss league".

win some, you lose some....

Old
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
hydromel

Quote:
Quote:
or Marc Savard. I remember you wanting to dump that "fat, lazy, floater who couldn't cut it in the swiss league".

win some, you lose some....

oh boy, here we go again.

hydromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydropossum View Post
oh boy, here we go again.
Eh? I am just teasing him. He knows what I am talking about and hopefully he can grin about it and push on.

Old
08-30-2007, 03:29 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Rucchin looked like a perfect fit for the Kovy or Hossa line... a guy with LOADs of experience that can dish the puck to superstars. I was excited about the signing. I doubt anyone would have guessed he'd blow that bad. Kapanen was an awesome acquisition, allowed us to dump Modry and Stefan. Metro and Sim both played WAY above their salary last season, and were pleasant surprises.

Hedberg and Havelid were good signings though, eh?

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Eh? I am just teasing him. He knows what I am talking about and hopefully he can grin about it and push on.
I can grin about it. Savy's got skills, but his 96 points couldn't get the Bruins into the playoffs: when he played at Philips last year, even Metro played better.

Is Savard a $5m center? Gomez says yes, Nylander says no.

Let's both agree that my assessment of Savard was on the mark in an Archie Bunker sort of way...instead of an NHL scout sort of way. At least I was right in sensing that his life was in an utter tailspin at the time - he was a chunky linkster. I'm glad things are better for him now.

Old
08-31-2007, 02:07 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

One could argue that Kunitz would not be the player he is today had he not gone through waivers.

jax00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 02:07 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 90
I don't think you guys are to be blamed. I mean, the Ducks did put the guy on waivers originally, even if it was for a numbers reason.

Though I think that playing with skilled players like Selanne and McDonald certainly helped his development along.

And DucksRule makes a good point. Waivers has shaken many players up (like Briere, Pominville etc).

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 03:40 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
I don't think you guys are to be blamed. I mean, the Ducks did put the guy on waivers originally, even if it was for a numbers reason.

Though I think that playing with skilled players like Selanne and McDonald certainly helped his development along.

And DucksRule makes a good point. Waivers has shaken many players up (like Briere, Pominville etc).
when Pominville went through waivers, i wanted the Rangers to snatch him but they chose to snatch Krog instead

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 03:44 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
I can grin about it. Savy's got skills, but his 96 points couldn't get the Bruins into the playoffs: when he played at Philips last year, even Metro played better.
thats pretty short-sighted to think one player getting 96 points should carry a team into the playoffs. if im not mistaken, sidney crosby's 102 points didnt make it into the playoffs his rookie year until they got more depth and help. wow, what a mistake it was getting him 1st overall.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFan View Post
Did I read that right? Atlanta claimed him from Anaheim, only to have Anaheim claim him back 2 weeks later?
Kunitz didn't make the Ducks out of camp so they tried to send him to the AHL. The Thrashers claimed him but after a couple games, decided he did need some more time in the AHL. So Atlanta tried to send him down, but he needed to clear waivers yet again.

As per CBA rules, I believe Anaheim had first dibs in waiver priority because they waived Kunitz within the time frame of that season.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote