HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros what happened?

Old
09-02-2007, 08:20 PM
philla*

vCash: 500
Eric Lindros what happened?

What happened in 2002-2003? He went from being a point per game player in 2001-2002 to scoring 53pts in 81 games in 2002-2003,81 games is the most games he's ever played. What do you think is the reason for the huge drop in points?

philla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:21 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Being a beach bum.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Someone must have stolen his mojo.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:32 PM
GarretJoseph*

played scared.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
played scared.
Thats pretty much it. He played a much more cautious game and his point total suffered. He came back the next season like he did in 01-02 only to get injured.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:43 PM
philla*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Intelligent posts please

Old
09-02-2007, 08:45 PM
philla*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Thats pretty much it. He played a much more cautious game and his point total suffered. He came back the next season like he did in 01-02 only to get injured.
Yeah I noticed that his points per game went back up in 2003-2004 where he scored 32 points in 39 games.

Old
09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
played scared.
^^exactly

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

concussions are additive. the more you get, the more likely you are to get another one, and the more severe they become. for lindros to be effective he needs to play a physical, smashmouth, drive to the net game. you cant do that if your head is made of jello.

if i were him, i woulda retired ages ago, no need to have a brain made of mush.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 10:35 PM
feerlessleadr

if i remember correctly i believe that after the conference finals in 99-00 when he got concussed, his doctors told him that if he suffered anymore serious concussions that it would be very likely that he could get some serious brain damage.

feerlessleadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Lindros that KILLED the Rangers in the 97 playoffs was an all out beast...Really from 95-97 he was the best player in hockey..He had it all..

It's sad what happened to him...Looking back from the moment I heard the name Eric Lindros (oh yeah I had the Lindros Brian Taylor baseball bard!!) there was always a black cloud around him....just strange things surronded lindros like...

1. his parents
2. not reporting to his junior team
3. the whole larry bertuzzi arbitration scenario
4. the night he killed Beuk in a fight
5. Killing the Rangers in two playoff series
6. the trade to the Rangers
7. the unreal first half he had as a Rangers player
8. the concussion with the Rangers in San Jose?

That's just a few things...I mean there are also the concussion hits from Stevens and Kaspar...Just hits that a big man shouldn't be taking...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 11:08 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Stevens. Kaspar.. Ndur.. It keeps going

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 12:31 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
played scared.
Rightly so. His last season here he had the eye injury and then the rib cage injury early in the season, then he forgot about it for a little while and played like a beast again. Then Jason Doig happened and it was all over.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 01:35 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
played scared.

BINGO!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
great comment! i wish I could come up with summing up E-train troubles in few words with a bit of irony thrown into it.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 05:30 AM
robertdsc44

What I could never understand was why Lindros couldn't change his game up. He had so much more skill than just the physical "smashmouth" style that he played. It just boggles the mind as to why he couldn't change things up a bit to use more skating and passing than the physical play.

robertdsc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 06:45 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Lindros was a hero of mine in hockey and i was gutted what happened to him.

He had the best total package of anyone for 20 or so years.

It was only through his mismanagement and injury proneness that stopped him from being a HoF. Even with an unfulfilled career he has something like 800+ points in similar total of games...

Good luck to him at the NHLPA!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
You know that year it was like he couldn't even turn it on for one period.

If it was all about beeing scared he ought to have been able to, atleast for a shift now and then, be even remotly his old self.

Not only did he look slower, but he was also pretty clueless with the puck, nothing really worked in his game, except maybe the faceoffs... He was so lost in his own end all season.

Beeing cautios/scared don't explain the whole story for me.

I wouldn't be suprised if it comes out in a while that Lindros was downright depressed as hell at the time. His season was in many ways overshadowed by the entire teams problems.

I don't know, its a mystery. Just beeing cautious on the ice don't explain the whole thing for me.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
It was only through his mismanagement and injury proneness that stopped him from being a HoF. Even with an unfulfilled career he has something like 800+ points in similar total of games...
I agree 100%.

I will never forget a 25 y/o Eric Lindros in the 1998 Olympics in Nagano. Canada was up 6-0 in the 3rd against Japan I belive, not sure, but a real B-nation atleast.

Lindros in that period probably laid out 10 big hits. All fair, only one players had to be carried out on a stretcher, but it defenitly wasn't a diry hit. That was his idea to play the game, just go out and crush people, once in a while throw in some offense.

A good coach would have put some strains on him. He ended up in the worst possible place for him, Philly.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 07:48 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I agree 100%.

I will never forget a 25 y/o Eric Lindros in the 1998 Olympics in Nagano. Canada was up 6-0 in the 3rd against Japan I belive, not sure, but a real B-nation atleast.

Lindros in that period probably laid out 10 big hits. All fair, only one players had to be carried out on a stretcher, but it defenitly wasn't a diry hit. That was his idea to play the game, just go out and crush people, once in a while throw in some offense.

A good coach would have put some strains on him. He ended up in the worst possible place for him, Philly.
agree on the Philly comment 100%

I hate to think how his career might have gone ahd he stuck with Quebec/Colorado....

Forsberg would have likely done well even had he not been traded but Lindros could have been better managed, especially by a org. like the Avs.

Old
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
played scared.
That sums it up in two words. Lindros was most effective when he was rolling over guys in the corners, standing in the slot and wreaking havoc and generally imposing his will on the other team. In 2002-03 it looked like he didn't have that killer instinct anymore. As someone else said for about 2 or 3 seasons in the mid to late 90's he was probably the most dominant player the NHL has ever seen. Injuries destroyed that and probably killed his confidence. No matter how tough you are after so many injuries your going to lose that killer instinct. Once that happens you'd better hang'em up.

I remember reading an interview with LT once. He said that he realized it was time to quit when he went to hit somebody and the first thing he thought was that he could get hurt. At that point he realized it was time to hang'em up. Wish Lindros had done the same thing. Once you become timid its time to give it up.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
TheRedressor

It wasn't him being scared.

BRIAN F'ING TROTTIER PUT HIM ON BOBBY HOLIK'S WING.

how could people forget how atrocious of a move that was?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
It wasn't him being scared.

BRIAN F'ING TROTTIER PUT HIM ON BOBBY HOLIK'S WING.

how could people forget how atrocious of a move that was?
that was a move to try to keep Lindros out of traffic & uninjured, it could have worked if olik was an actual playmaking goal scoring center. Honestly, I think you could hav eput Lindros on Gretzky or Mario Lemuiex'z wing & the results still would have been the same, he was a center first & foremost.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 04:32 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
that was a move to try to keep Lindros out of traffic & uninjured, it could have worked if olik was an actual playmaking goal scoring center. Honestly, I think you could hav eput Lindros on Gretzky or Mario Lemuiex'z wing & the results still would have been the same, he was a center first & foremost.
he definitely wasnt a wing but i think playing Gretzky's wing might have helped! and Lemiuex? one reporter once said a fire hydren could score 30 goals on that line!!!!

Lindors had a good career but may be one of the biggest anti climax's ever in the sport. i think this guy had the chance to be truely amazing...pity.

Old
09-05-2007, 06:30 AM
robertdsc44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
That sums it up in two words. Lindros was most effective when he was rolling over guys in the corners, standing in the slot and wreaking havoc and generally imposing his will on the other team. In 2002-03 it looked like he didn't have that killer instinct anymore. As someone else said for about 2 or 3 seasons in the mid to late 90's he was probably the most dominant player the NHL has ever seen. Injuries destroyed that and probably killed his confidence. No matter how tough you are after so many injuries your going to lose that killer instinct. Once that happens you'd better hang'em up.

I remember reading an interview with LT once. He said that he realized it was time to quit when he went to hit somebody and the first thing he thought was that he could get hurt. At that point he realized it was time to hang'em up. Wish Lindros had done the same thing. Once you become timid its time to give it up.
For some reason, I am reminded of Steve Yzerman changing his game at the request of Scotty Bowman.

Why couldn't Lindros have done something similar?

robertdsc44 is offline   Reply With Quote