HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

No ice

Old
09-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
No ice

Pretty simple but I'm really not sure....when the ref/linesman calls "no ice" - is that meaning simply that they're not going to call for icing? Or that it wasn't icing? And so that means the game continues?

Whenever I'm chasing one of the Ds into their defensive zone, sometimes I hear that called, and then I falter because I don't know whether to continue chasing, or whether if I do I'll look like an idiot for not stopping when play seems to have stopped.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Pangolin

"No Ice" means no icing. So keep chasing.

Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Pretty simple but I'm really not sure....when the ref/linesman calls "no ice" - is that meaning simply that they're not going to call for icing? Or that it wasn't icing? And so that means the game continues?

Whenever I'm chasing one of the Ds into their defensive zone, sometimes I hear that called, and then I falter because I don't know whether to continue chasing, or whether if I do I'll look like an idiot for not stopping when play seems to have stopped.
Keep truckin'.

No Ice means they waved it off when there may have been a chance it would have been called (Say the ref saw a deflection or thinks the defender could have touched it).

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:26 AM
PensFanInCBus

Keep an eye on your goalie. Usually, the goalie will raise his glove hand if it's an ice, or keep it down if it's waved off.
If yours doesn't, ask them to let you guys know. It'll make your life much easier.

Last edited by PensFanInCBus: 09-05-2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added word
PensFanInCBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
What you stated is correct, the icing has been called off, the reason doesn't matter, and play continues. A good ref will call off an icing by the time the puck reaches the top of the defending team's faceoff circle so you have time to react.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
XweekendwarriorX

jus keep going hard til you hear the whistle.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 05:08 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanInCBus View Post
Keep an eye on your goalie. Usually, the goalie will raise his glove hand if it's an ice, or keep it down if it's waved off.
If yours doesn't, ask them to let you guys know. It'll make your life much easier.
With the poster being in his offensive roll, watching his own goalie would be very odd.

The goalie can be a clue but its not something you should rely on. I have seen defensive players get creamed because the goalie had indicated icing when in fact it wasnt. As warrior posted, play till the whistle. Do that and you will never look foolish. There are many times an icing will be waved off at the last second before a puck crosses the line due to a defender who stops skating. If your going hard you might get a good chance out of it.

Last edited by MikeD: 09-05-2007 at 05:14 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 03:50 PM
The Muffin Stud

"Ice" in some hockey terms is pretty much just a slang for "Icing".

The Muffin Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
PensFanInCBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
With the poster being in his offensive roll, watching his own goalie would be very odd.

The goalie can be a clue but its not something you should rely on. I have seen defensive players get creamed because the goalie had indicated icing when in fact it wasnt. As warrior posted, play till the whistle. Do that and you will never look foolish. There are many times an icing will be waved off at the last second before a puck crosses the line due to a defender who stops skating. If your going hard you might get a good chance out of it.
Yeah...I re-read after I posted that he was on the offensive. So...skate hard until you hear the whistle. On the defensive...watch your goalie.

PensFanInCBus is offline   Reply With Quote