HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Well I start referree class tomorrow.... comments/thoughts/suggestions?

Old
09-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Selanne00008

vCash: 500
Well I start referree class tomorrow.... comments/thoughts/suggestions?

I'll find out more tomorrow for the first meeting. Then next Saturday there's a class from 8-4:30 and perhaps another the next Sunday and then some time on the ice.

Been playing since I was 5 and I'm now 25. I'd say I know Most of the rules, although I'm sure as a ref or learning to be one I'll find out stuff I never knew.

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions??

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
RedK

If you've been skating out, you probably don't think like a goalie. Goalies often have a different viewpoint about calls around the crease - man in the crease, whistles for covers, when it's okay to hack/not hack the goalie's arm, interference, etc. As a ref, you now have to see the ice from both the outskater and goalie POV. You may want to review rules around the crease and rules related to goaltending specifically, to make sure you can see things both ways, and to make sure you know what a goalie's concerns/questions will be. At some point, a goalie is going to ask you something you haven't thought of, and you want to be prepared.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post

Been playing since I was 5 and I'm now 25. I'd say I know Most of the rules, although I'm sure as a ref or learning to be one I'll find out stuff I never knew.
Don't take this the wrong way, but If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say they knew the rules because they've played their whole life, I'd be a wealthy, wealthy man. Most players and coaches only have a rudimentary understanding of the rules and, more importantly, how the game is called.

Don't know where you're at, but Hockey Canada's rule book is a complicated tome. 86 Rules, 460-odd situations. It's not a fun read.

The clinic will not spend much time at all on the rules. You'll usually do about an hour of rules review, which is not nearly enough time to get a good understanding. If you want to get good at officiating, you will need to review your book from time to time throughout the year. I usually pick a section and read just before game time, just to get into the right head space.

In any case, rules knowledge is only about 10 per cent of good officiating. Positioning, communication, awareness and judgment are much more important. The biggest component of good officiating is attitude. If you're there because you want to ensure the games are fair and safe, you generally do all right. Guys who go off on power trips (or on the flip side, are too namby-pamby to make a call) or who are there just to make some money don't generally make good officials. Luckily, they usually don't last.

Probably the best advice is to start watching the officials at junior games and start emulating them. By and large, they're there for a reason.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say they knew the rules because they've played their whole life, I'd be a wealthy, wealthy man. Most players and coaches only have a rudimentary understanding of the rules and, more importantly, how the game is called.

Don't know where you're at, but Hockey Canada's rule book is a complicated tome. 86 Rules, 460-odd situations. It's not a fun read.

The clinic will not spend much time at all on the rules. You'll usually do about an hour of rules review, which is not nearly enough time to get a good understanding. If you want to get good at officiating, you will need to review your book from time to time throughout the year. I usually pick a section and read just before game time, just to get into the right head space.

In any case, rules knowledge is only about 10 per cent of good officiating. Positioning, communication, awareness and judgment are much more important. The biggest component of good officiating is attitude. If you're there because you want to ensure the games are fair and safe, you generally do all right. Guys who go off on power trips (or on the flip side, are too namby-pamby to make a call) or who are there just to make some money don't generally make good officials. Luckily, they usually don't last.

Probably the best advice is to start watching the officials at junior games and start emulating them. By and large, they're there for a reason.

Thanks for the comments. I agree, I'd imagine a bunch of people would say what I said as well (that they think they know the rules when they actually don't). I'm sure there are plenty of scenerios where I wouldnt have a clue what the correct call would be.

I've been wanting to sing up and do this. So it's not so much about $ or anything like that. My personality isn't the power trip type at all, so I think I'd want to make sure I'm not on the other side and be hesitant to call things.

Old
09-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Gino 14

Look sharp and be in position and the rest will come. If you can't be in position to make a simple offsides call, you'll have no credibilty with coaches for the tough stuff. The most frequent request I've heard from coaches is to make sure they get the offsides calls, it's very important to them and one of the calls they will scream about the most if you boot too many. Read and learn the rules, they aren't always what you think they should be. Have fun, it's still a game.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

It's boring as hell. Good luck with the shadow system if they use it.

TaiMaiShu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
It's boring as hell. Good luck with the shadow system if they use it.
Don't laugh!!! haha

Old
09-05-2007, 05:03 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Ref school was so long and boring. Than when you have to do those little kid games that dont have the best flow to the game is kinda boring to me and sometimes makes me miss calls. but when you get up there to games of like pee wee and that it gets alot better.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Redden Hogalot*

The classes might be boring but you can work your way up to higher levels, just like playing. I think I should sign up for referee classes, haha.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:34 PM
power_def

Bring a sleeping bag for the first class.

power_def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:48 PM
NMK

Yeah, its boring... Mostly just too long, but as far as advice when reffing. Just keep up with the play. Don't get drawn into staring at the puck, keep your head on a swivel, when you make a call as a ref 1) blow your whistle and stop. Pause, wait for 3 seconds leaving your arm in the air, point to the player, make the call with color/number and then skate away. Be loud, decisive and never waiver even if you know you screwed up. Know the rules because the ones you think will never come up, will. Making crisp arm movements as a ref or linesman makes you look better too, and reffing is all about looking good. Looking like you know what you are doing, even if you don't.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Icer

Get your eyes checked. You'll probably get that advice from a lot of players.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 10:50 PM
WhoozYerrDaddy

vCash: 2208
Just remember, no matter what call you make, one team is gonna be pissed at you. You will NEVER make everyone happy.

Try to have fun, making it look like you are enjoying what you are doing.

Do NOT be one of those unapproachable, 'don't talk to me' refs. Talk to the kids, even if they aren't the captain.

Sooner you can accept these ideas, the sooner you will be on your way to being a good official.

I have been a USA Hockey official for a really long time.

Last edited by WhoozYerrDaddy: 09-12-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling
WhoozYerrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
frito

My daughter and I just took a class last weekend and it's an eye opening experience, especially the on ice portion. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but jeez, there is a lot remember, positioning, communication with your partner and so on. I really think every coach and every parent should be required to take one of these of classes to learn just what a ref has to go through. I'm glad I've always tended to be easy on the ref's as a coach.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Sportacus
:)

Just try and brfing up any questions you may have about specific rules.

09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
nni

how was it? i may do this tomorrow.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Jeffw-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoozYerrDaddy View Post
Just remember, no matter what call you make, one team is gonna be pissed at you. You will NEVER make everyone happy.

Try to have fun, making it look like you are enjoying what you are doing.

Do NOT be one of those unapproachable, 'don't talk to me' refs. Talk to the kids, even if they aren't the captain.

Sooner you can accept these ideas, the sooner you will be on your way to being a good official.

I have been a USA Hockey official for a really long time.
Good advice. As a player I always seem to give more slack to a friendly ref who'll joke around with you. The guys who take themselves too seriously are the ones who seem to get abused the most.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote