HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Evaluations

Old
09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
Evaluations

I am 13 and getting my first out of 2 evalutions this friday. There is going to be a shooting, passing, and skating stations for me to be evaluated on. Does anyone have any tips for me to prepare a little bit and to help me not be nervous? Thanks

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:32 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Just step up and play your heart out. my grandfather told me never give them a reason to cut you or not pick you. dont panic when you have the puck make smart moves out there and do every drill your hardest. and follow through on your passes and shots and if you go to hit someone make it stand out but dont go out of your way to do it.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
Just step up and play your heart out. my grandfather told me never give them a reason to cut you or not pick you. dont panic when you have the puck make smart moves out there and do every drill your hardest. and follow through on your passes and shots and if you go to hit someone make it stand out but dont go out of your way to do it.
Actually what I was going to say.

But good luck. I just came back from my tryouts, just work your hardest. I'm assuming that this evaluation is for your league play to even out the teams. Is so, thats what we do also, sometimes they're not so even..

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:49 PM
greekdrummer

Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
yeah im playing rec, its supposedly for even teams. thanks weekendwarrior

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
McNasty

Just don't look at it too seriously. It can cause you to get nervous and overthink simple things. Its a game, play it.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Puckboy

Hard work and pay attention. Don't be the one who screws up a drill because you were not paying attention.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 09:40 PM
MikeD

Look up John Shoreys Hockey made easy site. He has some outstanding advice for try outs and evals. A majority of it is mental. Remember why your there...to have fun. First and foremost. With that mental state of mind, you will perform at your best. Be aware...if you dont fall during a drill, to a point, your not pushing out of your comfort zone. Do not worry about falling atc etc. negatives out of the mind, positive and FUN! you cant go wrong....

Do not be a drama queen. Mess up, pick yourself up and move on. No drama, slamming hte stick, looking up at the ceiling etc etc.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 09:19 PM
fishman123097

Send a message via AIM to fishman123097
O shut that face big peter.

fishman123097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 09:38 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
yeah im playing rec, its supposedly for even teams. thanks weekendwarrior
Just do the best you can on each and every drill, and make sure you do them all at full speed unless otherwise instructed. Pay atention to the instructions - don't be a "Drill Breaker". If you son't understnd it at first, jump into third or fourth place in line so you can observe.

You're be evaluated for rec so you are not at risk of being cut from a team. Just keep that in mind as you're out there. Don't sandbag in the hopes they evaluate you lower than you are so you can "stack" your team. Just give it your best effort, get your skating legs back and have fun.

Enjoy the season.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 11:10 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Now that im in Midget I always go to the second one cause its only a scrimmage for me. Most dont even go because its useless to them.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Nosebleed Section

Umm if it's just for balancing teams its not really tryouts you can do whatever. In fact to be fun you can skate like you've never been on ice before to mess up the teams equality so you have the better team. yay.

Those stations are stupid they tell very little about how good a player is. It takes a real game to do good evaluations. Also just go hard try and make a big play if you fail they really won't remember that if you go big they'll see that. You can't make it if you just blend in.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote