HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yann Danis future?

Old
09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Danis could become very useful in a year from now, IF Halak is traded to get some offensive talent AND Huet just quit as a UFA next July. Danis could then backup Price in Montreal, and play 10-15 games per year.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 03:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
He had no choice, he was RFA. It was Montreal or Europe...
you say he had no choice and then go on to list two choices (Habs or Euro) he did have more options then that. 1- he can sign with the Habs. 2- he can sign an AHL contract with any AHL team. 3- he can go to one of the Euro leagues.

1- he's behind last years NHL All Star (Huet), AHL All Star (Halak) and Calder MVP (Price) So he's got his work cut out for him if his goal is to make the NHL

2- getting an AHL contract with another team might be worth a shot to make him a starter without having to battle a top notch goalie prospect like Price or Halak for ice time. If he does well this year, it might open doors for him with the nhl team or any nhl team next summer when he's UFA.

3- he can make good money in one of the Euro leagues. At 26 he's getting older and it might be a good move financially to go from making some 50K to making 150K or so (just guessing on what he could get overseas, maybe more maybe less)

Either way I'm glad he's back, just that I was a bit surprised as I thought losing his starting job to Halak would be bad enough but then to lose his starting job again to Price two days before the playoffs would be a slap in the face. I give him credit for coming back, and I hope he can rebound to his rookie year form. I became a big fan of his when he was at Brown. I'd have to say he is one of the best goalies I've ever seen in ECAC.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

I hope Gainey doesn't trade him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I hope Gainey doesn't trade him.
I don't think you need to worry about that. Why would anyone trade for him when they can get him for free off waivers next month?

Old
09-06-2007, 05:28 PM
JohnnyB11

I still think Danis could do well as Huet's backup. Nothing against Halak, but he may have some trade value and if he does and the Habs could package him with something else to get a big center I wouldn't be concerned in the least. Danis is sound, he's more a victim of circumstance right now.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
you say he had no choice and then go on to list two choices (Habs or Euro) he did have more options then that. 1- he can sign with the Habs. 2- he can sign an AHL contract with any AHL team. 3- he can go to one of the Euro leagues.

1- he's behind last years NHL All Star (Huet), AHL All Star (Halak) and Calder MVP (Price) So he's got his work cut out for him if his goal is to make the NHL

2- getting an AHL contract with another team might be worth a shot to make him a starter without having to battle a top notch goalie prospect like Price or Halak for ice time. If he does well this year, it might open doors for him with the nhl team or any nhl team next summer when he's UFA.

3- he can make good money in one of the Euro leagues. At 26 he's getting older and it might be a good move financially to go from making some 50K to making 150K or so (just guessing on what he could get overseas, maybe more maybe less)

Either way I'm glad he's back, just that I was a bit surprised as I thought losing his starting job to Halak would be bad enough but then to lose his starting job again to Price two days before the playoffs would be a slap in the face. I give him credit for coming back, and I hope he can rebound to his rookie year form. I became a big fan of his when he was at Brown. I'd have to say he is one of the best goalies I've ever seen in ECAC.
I didn't know that RFA could sign with a AHL team...

Any exemple?

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 11:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I didn't know that RFA could sign with a AHL team...

Any exemple?

They can. It's not comon cause the players can just go to the Euro leagues and make good money as opposed to what they would get in the AHL. Just because your an RFA, it only applies to the NHL, so any player can sign in any league outside of the NHL as an RFA.

In Danis's case, I thought he would go to a team that isn't so deep with young goalies but it's good he's back as it just gives us more depth and 5 very solid goalies in the nhl/ahl/echl.

Old
09-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
They can. It's not comon cause the players can just go to the Euro leagues and make good money as opposed to what they would get in the AHL. Just because your an RFA, it only applies to the NHL, so any player can sign in any league outside of the NHL as an RFA.

In Danis's case, I thought he would go to a team that isn't so deep with young goalies but it's good he's back as it just gives us more depth and 5 very solid goalies in the nhl/ahl/echl.
So, he would then become the property of some other team's AHL franchise, and Montreal wouldn't receive compensation for having an RFA taken away (or does that come into effect as soon as that AHL team's parent team signs him to an NHL or 2-way contract)? Does anyone else see a problem with this loophole? Or does Montreal still get some kind of compensation? Or finally, does he somehow remain Montreal's property, allowing them to call him up at anytime, despite being on another team's AHL team (and could they then call him up to the NHL, without getting into the relative possiblities of waivers, etc)?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
So, he would then become the property of some other team's AHL franchise, and Montreal wouldn't receive compensation for having an RFA taken away (or does that come into effect as soon as that AHL team's parent team signs him to an NHL or 2-way contract)? Does anyone else see a problem with this loophole? Or does Montreal still get some kind of compensation? Or finally, does he somehow remain Montreal's property, allowing them to call him up at anytime, despite being on another team's AHL team (and could they then call him up to the NHL, without getting into the relative possiblities of waivers, etc)?
It's not really a "loophole". He'd just remain a restricted free agent as far as the NHL was concerned. Now, most players in that situation (and there are a few out there this year, Sprukts, I think Klepis and a few others), mostly young guys who would like to have 1-way contracts after already putting in some minor league years... well, mostly they'll find more lucrative work in European leagues rather than in the AHL. But, just like us with Perezhogin, we retain the NHL rights to the restricted free agent. He can't be "recalled", because he has no NHL contract. But there's no compensation, because he's still our property.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote