HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD#8 to begin in September

Old
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
shawnmullin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate #2 View Post
I would be interested in joining - I could work with a co-GM.... depending on his views of Dallas Smith of course.
I'll kill you, I'll kill all of you!!!!!!!!

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 12:13 PM
shawnmullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I think we have to be very careful when discussing any restrictions on new GMs. After all, we were all first-time GMs at some point. And many first-time GMs - such as myself, reck, pappy, arrbez, Nalyd, Eagle, and the Speaker - had established a good rep in the History of Hockey forum before signing up for the draft. But when raleh joined, he had been at HF for a short period of time, and had about a dozen posts. pit had only been actively posting on HF for about a week when he signed up. And Lappi was brand new, too.

Also, has anyone heard from Frank the Tank. He's the other newbie (along with doctordark and cottonking) who should definitely be part of this draft.
I feel the same way. I've only been part of two all-time drafts and two minor league drafts. I'm not about to jump up and down pointing fingers at people.

Heck, my first team (while I liked it) absolutely didn't fit the mould of a successful ATD team. I've learned a ridiculous amount about hockey history by being part of the drafts. I'm way more prepared for this now than I was the first time. In fact I'm pretty confident that if things don't get as crazy as they were presonally during the last minor league draft, that I'm gonna give people a run for their money this time.

However, the draft is like the HFBoard country club now. With so many people kind of entrenched in their spot how do you go about bringing new guys in? Kind of hard to have a set criteria isn't it. Especially for me when I wonder if I'd have got a team the first time under these circumstances. Yet we don't want to turn it into one of those random mock drafts where people don't put in the time or effort to make it something special.

Maybe absolutely 100% new people should take a run in the minor league draft first in the future?

Old
09-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Ah, ok. I was trying to reconcile the geography with your dad's Firsov tapes, though your English would be downright amazing for a Russland-Deutscher if that were the case. The mass relocation of eastern European populations in the early 20th century makes tracing the thread almost as hard for some Europeans as it is for we Yanks. My mother's parents fled from Odessa to Brooklyn (Brighton Beach - "little Odessa") probably around the same time your grandma was moving to greener pastures. Actually, they were running away from Stalin, so it was probably a bit before that.

I live in Kiel, by the way.
They were my grandpa´s tapes. My grandma and grandpa watched so much live-hockey and some games he taped. Quality was crap as it was an early camera model. But still it was a joy to watch. Still looking for the tapes. Since my granddad is dead a lot of his stuff is lost. Hopefully grandma didn´t throw them away. It would be a shame.

Btw, running away from Stalin is a smart thing to do. Just read a biography. Words fail me.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
I think we have to be very careful when discussing any restrictions on new GMs. After all, we were all first-time GMs at some point. And many first-time GMs - such as myself, reck, pappy, arrbez, Nalyd, Eagle, and the Speaker - had established a good rep in the History of Hockey forum before signing up for the draft. But when raleh joined, he had been at HF for a short period of time, and had about a dozen posts. pit had only been actively posting on HF for about a week when he signed up. And Lappi was brand new, too.

Also, has anyone heard from Frank the Tank. He's the other newbie (along with doctordark and cottonking) who should definitely be part of this draft.
I don't mean to come across as snobby or anything, I just know that this draft isn't easy and takes a commitment, so, I'd like to believe that people can put the effort in and have the base knowledge to not be scrambling by round 10.

09-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
I'll kill you, I'll kill all of you!!!!!!!!
Oh, my God, we’re having a fire. Sale. Oh, the burning! It burns me! Evacuate all the schoolchildren!Listen (Screaming. Singing “Amazing Grace.”) This isn’t a fever! (Continues singing.) Can’t even see where the knob is! (Dramatic sigh.) And scene.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 02:41 PM
LapierreSports

Send a message via MSN to LapierreSports
My only concern is someone dropping out in the middle of the draft. Everyone has to start somewhere but what would piss me off is people dropping off in the middle of this thing right when I will be constructing my lineup with famous lines.

LapierreSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapierreSports View Post
My only concern is someone dropping out in the middle of the draft. Everyone has to start somewhere but what would piss me off is people dropping off in the middle of this thing.
Which is why co-gms are prefered. 1) The buddy system should reduce bailings. 2) If someone bails, the Co-GM becomes a solo gm.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
shawnmullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate #2 View Post
Oh, my God, we’re having a fire. Sale. Oh, the burning! It burns me! Evacuate all the schoolchildren!Listen (Screaming. Singing “Amazing Grace.”) This isn’t a fever! (Continues singing.) Can’t even see where the knob is! (Dramatic sigh.) And scene.
That's what happens when Dallas Smith hits someone in the corners

Old
09-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
That's what happens when Dallas Smith hits someone in the corners
I'm afraid I just blue myself

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

there's a special place in hell for those who diss a Bruins captain

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 02:11 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
there's a special place in hell for those who diss a Bruins captain
Ed Sandford's mother wears army boots.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

Thanks for mentioning me as a possible GM, I am grateful. However, I have a crazy Fall ahead of me as I begin to apply and interview for academic positions. As a result, I do not think I could give the effort and commitment that both the group and I want.

I would like to offer my services for a division's playoff write-up once the draft is completed

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 11:36 AM
BM67

FlyersHomer DM03 is out as a possibility, as he seems to be in the midst of one of his several month long MIA periods.

nik jr has confirmed interest, so he has a spot.

Still waiting on Spitfire11 and The_Hockey_Guy18.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Once we get all the GMs confirmed, I'd really like it if we went ahead and held the lottery and set the draft order, even if we're going to wait another couple of weeks for the actual draft. Gives GMs more time to work trades and set real targets instead of hypotheticals based on a draft position that isn't set yet.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 297
Quote:
Once we get all the GMs confirmed, I'd really like it if we went ahead and held the lottery and set the draft order, even if we're going to wait another couple of weeks for the actual draft. Gives GMs more time to work trades and set real targets instead of hypotheticals based on a draft position that isn't set yet.
+1

Trading happens in every real NHL draft, and I -- for one -- would like to have time to move up / down and position myself to have a shot at certain players. Would like to see 7 days between determining draft position and Bobby Orr coming off the board.

Van Islander, can you edit the first post in the thread to indicate who has a team / team name / which GM's are still pending, etc?

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:40 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Actually, this is a good idea. It took us three days to get through the first 10 picks of the last draft, and five days to complete the first round. If guys know well in advance when they're picking (instead of the usual 24-48 hours), it might help acellerate the first round.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
I'm down.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Van Islander, can you edit the first post in the thread to indicate who has a team / team name / which GM's are still pending, etc?
i'm trying to enjoy the beaches will the summer heat is still here

besides, BM67 will start the official thread soon: it's his show

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:00 PM
BM67

Quote:
Actually, this is a good idea. It took us three days to get through the first 10 picks of the last draft, and five days to complete the first round. If guys know well in advance when they're picking (instead of the usual 24-48 hours), it might help acellerate the first round.
Are you or are you not one of the guys that demanded that we ignore the set start date last draft and get underway several days early?

Remember September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day!!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Old
09-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Sign me up. Gwinnett Gladiators.

09-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

Since it looks like we have our picks, can someone post the draft order?

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 06:31 PM
BM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper View Post
Since it looks like we have our picks, can someone post the draft order?
The first two rounds are in the first post of the signup thread.