HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Players who wear glasses

Old
08-23-2007, 05:27 PM
AZCOYOT

vCash: 500
Players who wear glasses

What do you guys do? I can't stand contacts so I just wear my glasses under my shield.

I've tried playing without them but man it's embarrassing..

Are there prescription visors? Those must cost a mint

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
weaponomega

What brand of contacts have you used?

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I try to wear my contacts when I play but when I start to up on my helmet, I realize I forgot to put in my contacts..Lol

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Used to wear glasses under my helmet until the arm broke off one day - I figured it must've been the pressure put on by either side of my helmet.
Now I just wear contacts. Sometimes they're a real pain to get in, but once they've been in for 10 minutes it's fine. Besides, with contacts you dont need to worry about sweat getting on your glasses AS WELL as the visor.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 12:21 AM
sc37

vCash: 713
I wear glasses...can't really do the contacts at all. I don't have any issues with them at all. And glasses breaking shouldn't be a problem cause I've been wearing these titanium frames that I bought online they are very durable(for $20 with lenses btw online, yes $20 not a typo). I never understood the prescription visor....do they really exist? What happens when you look down?

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 12:53 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I used to wear my glasses on the ice.

I was lucky enough to get this for a christmas present.

Huge difference. Unbelievable.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

you should probably get hydraclear contacts, they stay moist for a long time and hardly dry up...and maybe a cage/visor combo would help so they wouldnt dry up while ur skating something like this:

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
JDSens16

I wear my glasses while playing, and it doesnt bother me at all, but i guess since i've been using them for a long time i just dont notice it.

JDSens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 01:34 PM
AZCOYOT

I have astigmatism and Contacts have always been uncomfortable. They make my eyes feel heavy and makes me drowsy for some reason.

They really aren't an option for me anymore.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 02:41 PM
lampliter87

Send a message via AIM to lampliter87
i have an astigmatism in one eye and wear toric lenses by bausch and laumb they are made specifically for that problem... i love em and have never had a problem

lampliter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 03:44 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire40 View Post
I have astigmatism and Contacts have always been uncomfortable. They make my eyes feel heavy and makes me drowsy for some reason.

I here 'ya man. I tried to wear contacts but after a 1/2 hour I look like a drug addicted, chain smoking alcoholic. My eyes trun fire engine red and watery and it even throws my balance off. I either wear recspecs or I play blind. I really like the recspec but sometimes the fogging just becomes too much of an issue so I rather play the "Jedi way". I play by the feel of the game. Of course, my eye sight isn't so bad that I walk into walls or anything like that when I go without my glasses.

Give them a try, beats breaking a good pair of specs.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 04:19 PM
EmptyNetter

I played for a few years without glasses. One night I made a pretty good play but still don't know if I got the goal or the assist and was too embarrassed to ask a team mate.

Anyway I bought an extra pair of glasses for hockey and wear a cage over them.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2007, 06:01 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I get around the not worrying about getting my visor and glasses dirty by not wearing a visor.

Kind of like how I don't worry about saving money on my car insurance by driving without it.

Shhh

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 12:33 AM
fullmetal2405

i've been wearing contacts for about 6 or 7 years now and can't say enough good things about them. i convinced my girlfriend to switch from her glasses to contacts for softball, and once she got them she was wearing them all the time. i'd suggest trying to get used to them. keep a small bottle of rewetting drops on or near the bench if they start to dry out.

if you do want to go this route, the best way to get used to them is to wear them for an hour, take them out, put them in again in another hour, wear for two, take out for an hour, then wear for 4, etc.

i would go as far as saying they could help your game, giving you good peripheral vision, something glasses can't do.

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Medical Waste

I wear contacts, but when I was a kid a didn't have them, and I just went blind until my dad did cut some grooves in the foam part of my helmet which let me wear my glasses without them getting squished or pinching me.

Medical Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 01:49 AM
dre2112

Quote:

I have astigmatism too. I have a good pair of hydrasoft contacts.

If I go a really long time with them on, like 12hrs + they start to irritate me. Sometimes even less. So what I do is wear my glasses of the same prescription when I'm at home and wear my contacts when I go out.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 04:50 AM
vexXed

For anyone who gets irritated with contacts after having them in for a while, you should get the ones that have the tiny holes in them to allow more oxygen to the eye. MUCH better than the other ones where by the end of the day it's sticking to your eye ball and a b*tch to get off.

Not really sure why people can't stand them apart from that, as once you get past the tricky bit of putting them in and getting them out, they are golden.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 09:54 AM
dre2112

vexXed, when you have astigmatism, especially sever a case, the calibration for the contacts is extremely precise. A fraction of a fraction of an inch's movement could throw them off balance and make things blurry. Your typical contact wearer can better handle fluctuations and rotation of the lenses due to blinking, moisture, wind etc...

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Argon

I'm looking into getting contacts because I'm nearsighted (not too bad, though) but don't wear glasses on the ice, so everything is slightly blurry and not sharp.

I just played pick-up and some guy was wearing sports glasses/goggles similar to these: http://www.framesdirect.com/Rec_Spec...r-lgt-sek.html

They're not glass so you don't have to worry about glass shards in your eyes if you get hit and they break, plus the elastic band instead of the traditional legs helps with the helmet discomfort.

Argon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Allsmokenopancake

Quote:

I have astigmatism too, you can get hydrasoft for astigmatism, they are fantastic

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Wrista33

I have glasses but don't wear them on or off the ice, I tried to get contacts a while back and couldn't get the damn things in my eye because I kept blinking!

I'd love to be able to see 100% on the ice so I think I'll try again soo, any tips on how to get them in?

Wrista33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Medical Waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrista33 View Post
I have glasses but don't wear them on or off the ice, I tried to get contacts a while back and couldn't get the damn things in my eye because I kept blinking!

I'd love to be able to see 100% on the ice so I think I'll try again soo, any tips on how to get them in?
If you have problems with touching your eye and that's making you blink, you can practice by washing your hands and then with your off hand pull your bottom lid down on one eye, and look the opposite way so the white part of your eye is uncovered, and then....touch it with your finger!! I was told it's fine to touch that part of your eye, and once you get used to that you can use the same method but stick the contact there, and then all you need to do is carefully blink a bit and the contact will go to the right spot by itself. The more you do it the easier it gets till it's nothing.

Medical Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I too have astigmatism and used to struggle with contacts. Now, I can even sleep in my lenses, I wear Accuview torics.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:44 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
I wear glasses...can't really do the contacts at all. I don't have any issues with them at all. And glasses breaking shouldn't be a problem cause I've been wearing these titanium frames that I bought online they are very durable(for $20 with lenses btw online, yes $20 not a typo). I never understood the prescription visor....do they really exist? What happens when you look down?
Where did you purchase those?

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 12:31 AM
sc37

vCash: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Where did you purchase those?
I've purcahsed from goggles4u and Zenni Optical. I don't go to the shops anymore for any of my glasses seeing as how I can get some for like 1/10th of the price.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote