Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Roughneck

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
A pick and drive from one metre out was not a result of a defensive lapse? I suppose they just magically appeared one metre out from the line rather than working there way half way down field? In my opinion an excellent defence system would not concede a try so easily.
One defensive lapse does not mean a team has a bad defensive system or is a bad defensive team. One needs to only watch the Wallabies to realize just how good their defenisive organization is. So what if the All Blacks scored two tries in the first half, they're the best offensive team in the world, they should be scoring tries, yet they still lost the game because they couldn't score in the second half.

And if Australia isn't the best defensive team in the world, who is? It surely can't be the All Blacks, not after they let Mortlock get through the line without so much as a bump, France is out after the beatings they took against NZ, same with South Africa. England hasn't been good since the last World Cup (and they've had some huge scorelines this year). Ireland definitely isn't better than Australia (one needs to only watch the last 5 minutes of the Ire/Fra 6 Nations game to see why), Wales isn't that great defensively and Italy and Scotland shouldn't be anywhere near the conversation. I'm not sure who that leaves. Argentina? Canada?

Old
07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Means the same thing to me. I'm not upgrading it, i'm just stating it differently.
Yeah, sure.

Quote:
A pick and drive from one metre out was not a result of a defensive lapse? I suppose they just magically appeared one metre out from the line rather than working there way half way down field? In my opinion an excellent defence system would not concede a try so easily.
I'll tell you now for the third time, Australia gave up territory because of poor discipline, loose ball work and technique along with dumb football, and it was unbelievably plain to see. Their defensive efforts kept them in the game and prevented a blowout scorline by halftime. This is a game of territory, rarely does a team make it to the attacking quarter of the field via poor defense from the opposition. They get there because they control the territory game. In other words, if you control the ball, get quick ruck ball (which often leads to penalties for your side) and find open space with your kicking game, you will get attacking opportunities. This is precisely what happened in the opening 30 minutes of that game.

I mean for Christs sake, you said it yourself that the New Zealand team should have scored more than they did that half. Well they didn't. Why? Because the Australians were organized and scrambled in defense.

Quote:
You can say i'm clutching at straws or that soon ill be agreeing with you, but i'm no closer to agreeing with you now than i was two weeks ago about the Wallabies being 'hands down' the best defensive side in the world.
Then you're no closer to being correct.

I'd also love to know which nation is the better defensive team.

They may not shut down every team to a miniscule score every single game (nobody can), but on most nights, you wont see an international side defend better than the Wallabies.

Last edited by clefty: 07-17-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old
07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
CycloneLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Yeah, sure.

I'd also love to know which nation is the better defensive team.

They may not shut down every team to a miniscule score every single game (nobody can), but on most nights, you wont see an international side defend better than the Wallabies.

I'd also love to know where abouts i said they weren't the best defensive side in the world. I simply debated the fact that they weren't hands down the best defensive side in the world, which to me implies that they are in a league of their own when it comes to defence. I simply disagreed with that, and the when you said their first half defence was "excellent". That's all. If i were to pick a side who comes close to their defence, New Zealand.

Look at the Tri-Nations table NZ has a better for/against with a tougher schedule.

Old
07-17-2007, 11:02 PM
CycloneLaunch

All Blacks squad v Wallabies
1 - Tony Woodcock, 2 - Anton Oliver, 3 - Carl Hayman, 4 - Chris Jack, 5 - Keith Robinson, 6 - Jerry Collins, 7 - Richie McCaw (captain), 8 - Rodney So'oialo, 9 - Byron Kelleher, 10 - Dan Carter, 11 - Josevata Rokocoko, 12 - Luke McAlister, 13 - Isaia Toeava, 14 - Doug Howlett, 15 - Mils Muliaina.
Reserves: 16 - Keven Mealamu, 17 - Neemia Tialata, 18 - Reuben Thorne, 19 - Chris Masoe, 20 - Brendon Leonard, 21 - Aaron Mauger, 22 - Nick Evans.

McAlister at 12 this weekend, i actually prefer him over Mauger and i have for a long time, he provides the kicking option that Mauger held over previous contenders (Nonu) and i think he does a bit more on attack. I would have preferred Mils at 13 and Ice T at 15 though.

Old
07-18-2007, 08:51 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Oh please, for and against?! Come on! Let me guess, you look at +/- to judge a hockey player defensively, right?

I'm going to say it again- this is the FOURTH time now- you can't look at points and make a judgement call on the defensive play of a rugby team. Australia played without the ball for most of the half. They had far more attacking raids to defend against that game than New Zealand did. Just like the more shots a goalie faces, the higher the percentages that he's going to allow a goal. Doesn't mean the guy who allows 3 goals on 40 shots has played worse than the guy who allows one on 15, does it?

For and against is indicator of both defense AND attack. A team that wins 50-40 will have a better for and against differential than a team that wins a game 12-9. But who has had the better defensive game?

I don't mind you disagreeing (I think you're very wrong, but whatever), but if we're going to mention for and against here, we may as well not bother.

Last edited by clefty: 07-18-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old
07-19-2007, 12:47 AM
CycloneLaunch

Quote:
Oh please, for and against?! Come on! Let me guess, you look at +/- to judge a hockey player defensively, right?

I'm going to say it again- this is the FOURTH time now- you can't look at points and make a judgement call on the defensive play of a rugby team. Australia played without the ball for most of the half. They had far more attacking raids to defend against that game than New Zealand did. Just like the more shots a goalie faces, the higher the percentages that he's going to allow a goal. Doesn't mean the guy who allows 3 goals on 40 shots has played worse than the guy who allows one on 15, does it?

For and against is indicator of both defense AND attack. A team that wins 50-40 will have a better for and against differential than a team that wins a game 12-9. But who has had the better defensive game?

I don't mind you disagreeing (I think you're very wrong, but whatever), but if we're going to mention for and against here, we may as well not bother.

I'm going to see if i can find a stat for this, because i would say they were roughly similar if not slightly in favour of NZ, Australia in the first half had several chances to score but were held out. But i could be wrong.

NZ has conceded less points in the Tri-Nats than Australia, combined with what i've seen, i'd say that Australia would only JUST edge out the All Blacks defensive wise. I can't see how that's a bad judgement, and i do not why you would think Australia is by far the best defensive side in the world. Man to man the only position where i would say Australia is clearly ahead defensively is Centre.

And no i do not judge a hockey player defensive prowess solely on +/-.

Old
07-21-2007, 09:14 AM
BMann

Pierre Berbizier has announced his squad for the RWC.No surprises or omissions.

Solid pack led by the outstanding Sergio Parisse & more invention in the backline with the likes of Andrea Masi,Pabol Canavosio & Mircomasco.

Matias Aguero, Robert Barbieri, Mauro Bergamasco, Mirco Bergamasco, Valerio Bernabo, Marco Bortolami (captain), David Bortolussi, Gonzalo Canale, Pablo Canavosio, Martin Castrogiovanni, Roland De Marigny, Carlo Antonio Del Fava, Santiago Dellape, Carlo Festuccia, Ezio Galon, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Paul Griffen, Andrea Lo Cicero, Andrea Masi, Carlos Nieto, Fabio Ongaro, Luciano Orquera, Sergio Parisse, Salvatore Perugini, Ramiro Pez, Matteo Pratichetti, Kaine Robertson, Josh Sole, Marko Stanojevic, Alessandro Troncon, Maurizio Zaffiri, Alessandro Zanni.

9 of the squad are Argentinians,2 Afrikaaners, 2 Kiwis & 1 Frenchman & Croat respectively. Italy can be quite confident of beating Scotland to make the QFs should all the results go to form.

Old
07-21-2007, 09:31 AM
CycloneLaunch

Good match at Eden park tonight. NZ beat Aus. 26-12. Retain the Bledisloe and Tri-Nations.

Old
07-23-2007, 01:20 AM
McBlaze

The All Blacks announce their squad:
http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,1...607079,00.html

Old
07-28-2007, 09:07 AM
BMann

Loffreda announces his Argentina squad. The most powerful group of Pumas sent to a World Cup & at last with proper preperation despite the amateurish cretins at the UAR.

Backs: Agustín Pichot (Stade Français, captain), Horacio Agulla (Hindú), Felipe Contepomi (Leinster), Manuel Contepomi (Newman), Ignacio Corleto (Stade Français), José Piossek (Bayonne), Nicolás Miranda (Hindú), Martín Gaitan (Biarritz), Juan Hernandez (Stade Français), Federico Serra Miras (SIC), Gonzalo Tiesi (London Irish), Federico Todeschini (Montpellier), Lucas Borges (Stade Français).

Forwards: Patricio Albacete (Toulouse), Rimas Kairelis (Perpignan ), Marcos Iván Ayerza (Leicester), Martín Durand, Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe (Sale), Juan Martín Fernandez Lobbe (Sale), Santiago Bonorino (Capitolina), Omar Hasan (Toulouse), Mario Ledesma (Clermont Auvergne), Juan Leguizamon (London Irish), Gonzalo Elia (Clermont Auvergne), Esteban Lozada (CASI), Lucas Ostiglia (Agen), Rodrigo Roncero (Stade Français), Martín Scelzo (Clermont Auvergne), Martín Schusterman (Leeds Tykes), Alberto Basualdo (Alumni).

No Aramburu unfortunately with injury & another surprise was Marcelo Bosch of Biarritz.

Again Argentina are drawn in a tough pool & having to play the hosts again as with Wales & Oz before. This ridiculous seeding system will not be around for 2011 thankfully which pits three of the top 6 sides in the world in the same pool.

Argentina have a good chance of winning the pool with a good record against France recently & extremely tight contests with Ireland.

It would be for the good of the game if they did make the QFs & avoided NZ in the process.

Old
08-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
IRELAND 2007 RUGBY WORLD CUP SQUAD:

FORWARDS (16) -

Neil Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Simon Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Simon Easterby (Llanelli)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
Malcolm O'Kelly (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Alan Quinlan (Shannon/Munster)
Frankie Sheahan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
Bryan Young (Ballymena/Ulster)

BACKS (14) -

Isaac Boss (Ballymena/Ulster)
Brian Carney (Clonakilty/Munster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster)
Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)
Denis Hickie (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Shane Horgan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Geordan Murphy (Leinster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (CAPTAIN)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Wasps)
Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_8551.php

No real surprises, I would have preferred another youngster in the backs (Bowe over Carney) but I like that Stephen Ferris made it ahead of Heaslip. Even though Leamy isn't that old, Ferris the future in the back row, and he's played better than Heaslip as well. The backs aren't very deep. If O'Gara or O'Driscoll go down the team's chances are done. Trimble is still only a winger or a sub at this level and Paddy Wallace isn't capable of leading a team to success in the World Cup. But there are 3 extremely capable scrum halfs which is definitely promising. Hopefully Boss is given a bit more freedom to expand his game when he gets a shot because I think he could really open up those backs.

The second and back row are as good as you can get as well. The locks are the best, and I'd only take the Kiwi back row ahead of Easterby/Best, Leamy and Wallace. The front row could be better, especially in the scrum, but they have their moments. I like (Rory) Best better as the starter bringing on Flannery at about the 50/60 minute mark to shake things up. However Simon Best is a huge dropoff from Hayes and Sheahan from Horan. Young is definitely the reserve of choice (both for age and the fact he can play 1 and 3).

Old
08-15-2007, 04:43 AM
GarretJoseph

O'Gara is class.

Old
08-15-2007, 04:56 AM
PRB

If Ireland can make the semi-finals I'll be extremely happy but a sloppy defeat to Scotland at the weekend wont have helped things.

Old
08-16-2007, 04:58 AM
CycloneLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
O'Gara is class.
If he could only defend.

Old
09-07-2007, 03:51 AM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
It's starting this evening, France-Argentina!
Go France!!!

Old
09-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belizarius View Post
It's starting this evening, France-Argentina!
Go France!!!
VIVOS LOS PUMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Steve L*

All I have to say is at France for losing to Argentina.

Old
09-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Opening Match

IT'S HERE!!!! THE 2007 RUGBY WORLD CUP

This is one of my favourite events. It ranks 3rd in world-wide appeal behind the Summer Olympics and the World Cup of Soccer. Canada has a decent team, but not as good as the 1991 side which qualified for the quarter-final round where they gave the New Zealand All-Blacks all they could handle. Coincidentally, that match was also played in France.

There are 4 pools of 5 teams with the top 2 from each pool advancing to the quarter-finals. Canada's opponents are Australia, Wales, Fiji, and Japan. Canada's results have been quite good leading to this World Cup and a quarter-final berth is an outside possibility. However, I would think that a loss to Australia is a given, a win over Japan is a must, Fiji is a toss-up, and Wales should be a respectable loss.

Canada's games are being shown live on SportsNet while the rest is available on Sentanta, which I ordered on a 30 day free trial!

Argentina 17
France 12

[RUGBYRUGBY.COM] ~ [PLANET RUGBY] ~ [PHOT GALLERY] ~ [SCRUM.COM]

The host nation must be stunned by this result. This was tipped to be the toughest pool from which to qualify since it also includes Ireland (IRB ranked #5 in the world). The Argentines have had some good results leading to the World Cup but have traditionally been one of those teams who "chokes" under the spotlight. They were ranked #6 by the IRB whilst the French were #3.

The French were bound to lose when they came out dressed in black. ***! Don't they know by now that they are to wear blue shirts, white shorts, and red socks? What would Napoleon say about this afront to the French flag?

Argentina did carry the play and missed several kicks at goal which would have spread the margin considerably. To me, the highlight was a goal-line stand which lasted several minutes through several phases and ended when the French went wide to the right and were called on a penalty. The French appeared to be on their way to scoring a try through a rolling maul like the teams of yesteryear might have scored. But it was not to be. The modern players are not accustomed to mauling and don't seem to execute it very well in a clutch situation.

Is it really necessary to mnake faces at the French fans? Well, I guess so.

Los Pumas celebrating the only try in the match.

Up next:

Saturday
New Zealand v Italy
Australia v Japan
England v USA

Sunday
Wales v Canada
South Africa v Samoa
Scotland v Portugal
Ireland v Namibia

Bookmarks:

[RUGBYWORLDCUP.COM] ~ [SCHEDULE] ~ [SCRUM.COM RWC PAGE] ~ [PLANET RUGBY RWC PAGE] ~ [RUGBYCANADA.CA]

Canada v Wales Preview
Sunday, Sept 9/2007 at 7:00am CDT

[CANADA NAMES SIDE TO FACE WALES]
Scrum half Morgan Williams.
[WALES NAMES SIDE TO FACE CANADA]
Welsh captain dwayne Peel.
[CANADA AIMING HIGH] - Coach Suggitt quoted at RugbyRugby.com.
[CANADA MIX IT U[] - Another RugbyRugby.com story on the starting line-up.

CANADA
1 Rod Snow
2 Pat Riordan
3 Jon Thiel
4 Luke Tait
5 Mike James
6 Jamie Cudmore
7 Dave Biddle
8 Sean-Michael Stephen
9 Morgan Williams (c)
10 Ander Monro
11 James Pritchard
12 Dave Spicer
13 Craig Culpan
14 DTH van der Merwe
15 Mike Pyke
Replacements:
16 Aaron Carpenter
17 Dan Pletch
18 Mike Pletch
19 Mike Burak
20 Colin Yukes
21 Ed Fairhurst
22 Ryan Smith

WALES
1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Matthew Rees
3 Adam Jones
4 Ian Gough
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
6 Jonathan Thomas
7 Martyn Williams
8 Alix Popham
9 Dwayne Peel (C)
10 James Hook
11 Shane Williams
12 Sonny Parker
13 Tom Shanklin
14 Mark Jones
15 Kevin Morgan
Replacements:
16 Thomas Rhys Thomas
17 Duncan Jones
18 Michael Owen
19 Colin Charvis
20 Michael Phillips
21 Stephen Jones
22 Gareth Thomas.

- CLICK for Canada's game schedule on SportsNet.

Last edited by Hollywood3: 09-08-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old
09-08-2007, 09:05 AM
FearTheFlyers

Ireland don't have a hope of topping the group if they continued to play Stringer at scrum half. He's been absolutely aqful for years...I don't get it.

Old
09-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

September 8, 2007

New Zealand 76
Italy 14

[REPORT]

Australia 91
Japan 3

[REPORT]

These results show that when there exists a mis-match in rugby the score can get pretty ugly. Today's games are being shown on a tape delay basis unless you want to spend pay-per-view money to see a lop-sided trouncing. I can wait. Especially when tomorrow's good match-ups are being shown LIVE.

Up next:

England leads the USA 14-3 as I post. You can follow along at http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/ and click the "LIve Tracker".

Bookmarks:

[RUGBYWORLDCUP.COM] ~ [SCHEDULE] ~ [SCRUM.COM RWC PAGE] ~ [PLANET RUGBY RWC PAGE] ~ [RUGBYCANADA.CA]

Old
09-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

September 8, 2007

England 28
U.S.A. 10

[REPORT]

Bookmarks:

[RUGBYWORLDCUP.COM] ~ [SCHEDULE] ~ [SCRUM.COM RWC PAGE] ~ [PLANET RUGBY RWC PAGE] ~ [RUGBYCANADA.CA][/quote]

Old
09-08-2007, 06:14 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

England are ****ing disgraceful.

Old
09-09-2007, 04:29 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
England are ****ing disgraceful.
Eh? Why? I was watching the football on the other channel.

Old
09-09-2007, 04:31 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

28-10 against the USA. Deplorable.

They'll get murdered if they play that way against the Southern Hemisphere big three.

Old
09-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Steve L*

They still did better than France though.

Italy are masters at performing like crap in the groups of the football world cup and then coming through to win the whole thing.

Only the points matter at the moment.

Closed Thread