09-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
September 9, 2007

Canada 17
Wales 42

[REPORT]~ [YAHOO-UK] ~ [MATCH STATS] ~ [PLANET RUGBY] ~ [SCRUM.COM]

What can be said about an opportunity missed?

Canada was the underdog but held a 17-9 lead, particularly a more impressiuve lead when one considers that Canada was amassing a scoreline via tries while the Welsh were relying upon penalty goals.

Well into the 2nd half the boys still had a 17-16 lead when they fell apart. Under pressure in the shadows of their goal posts a bad pass was followed by a shanked kick and suddenly the Welsh were back in the lead. By the time the floodgates had been shut the game was over and instead of pulling an upset victory, we were saddled with an unflattering final scoreline.

A quarter-final placing now seems improbable, to say the least. However, a top 3 placing in the pool is still a good possibility, which would put Canada into the top 12 and secure a place in the next World Cup.

South Africa 59
Samoa 7

[REPORT]

The Springboks were expected to win this match but the final scoreline is a bit of a shock. I know the English fans fear their upcoming game with Samoa, especially after having had so much trouble against the USA. I say the Boks could take it all yet.

Scotland 56
Portugal 10

[REPORT]

All I can say is I wish Canada were drawn into Scotland's pool. Canada hammered Portugal in August and could well have defeated the Scots.

Up next:

Sunday, September 9th
Ireland v Namibia (in progress as I post)

Tuesday September 11th
Argentina v Georgia

Wednesday September 12th
USA v Tonga
Japan v Fiji
Italy v Romania

Bookmarks:

[RUGBYWORLDCUP.COM] ~ [SCHEDULE] ~ [SCRUM.COM RWC PAGE] ~ [PLANET RUGBY RWC PAGE] ~ [RUGBYCANADA.CA]

Old
09-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Well that result is going to come to bite Ireland in the ass, I can see it now.

If England is discraceful after their performance against the US, what is Ireland after that ****show they just had, with a full-strength side no less. I only pray that was a wake-up call, but that is what the Italy warm-up game should have been.

Old
09-09-2007, 03:49 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Well that result is going to come to bite Ireland in the ass, I can see it now.

If England is discraceful after their performance against the US, what is Ireland after that ****show they just had, with a full-strength side no less. I only pray that was a wake-up call, but that is what the Italy warm-up game should have been.
Its ok, we got the WIN.

Argentina took out France which is a bigger shock...

We have Georgia next and should go 2-0....

Old
09-09-2007, 05:49 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
If England is discraceful after their performance against the US, what is Ireland after that ****show they just had, with a full-strength side no less.
Just as bad is what they are. Probably worse.

Three days in, and its already down to three teams as far as I'm concerned.

Old
09-09-2007, 05:56 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
They still did better than France though.

Italy are masters at performing like crap in the groups of the football world cup and then coming through to win the whole thing.

Only the points matter at the moment.
They missed out on the points. They remarkably failed to secure a bonus point, which condemns them to playing Australia in the quarter finals, and its not 2003 anymore.

Well they probably would have played Australia either way. But the wost part isn't that England failed to stamp any kind of authority on the game against a minnow nation, its that they played like they didn't care. Its an attitude thing more than anything else, which is a problem.

Last edited by clefty: 09-09-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old
09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
CycloneLaunch

Wow there's a pretty big difference between the Northern and Southern hemisphere teams. I haven't really followed up the NH this year but can someone tell me, are these teams really this bad? or just need a few games to get into it?

England scraping by the US was a bigger surprise than the Arg/Fra game. Pretty sure Arg had beat the French in the last 4 out of 5 games they'd played.

Old
09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Wow there's a pretty big difference between the Northern and Southern hemisphere teams. I haven't really followed up the NH this year but can someone tell me, are these teams really this bad? or just need a few games to get into it?

England scraping by the US was a bigger surprise than the Arg/Fra game. Pretty sure Arg had beat the French in the last 4 out of 5 games they'd played.
You'll like this result:

September 9, 2007

Ireland 32
Namibia 17

[REPORT]

Irish captain Brian O'Driscoll was injured in the match. The score was 27-17 when Ireland scored to make the coreline more flattering. Namibia may have been the lowest rated team in the tournament. There were fears this could be the most on-sided match of the day. Instead, Namibia put up a credible result. Namibia was formerly known as Southwest Africa and their rugby team was once within the fold of South Africa. They did beat Ireland a few years back, shortly after entering the international sporting fray. Thoughts that they could become a middle-power of world rugby quickly faded as they now struggle to even qualify through the relatively weak African qualification pools.

Up next:

Tuesday September 11th
Argentina v Georgia

Wednesday September 12th
USA v Tonga
Japan v Fiji
Italy v Romania

More links:

Turns out Slam! has some nice coverage of the RWC. [CLICK HERE] for a story on Canada's game. And [CLICK HERE] for a list of links to stories on the other matches.

For a set of pictures, [CLICK HERE].

Bookmarks:

[RUGBYWORLDCUP.COM] ~ [SCHEDULE] ~ [SCRUM.COM RWC PAGE] ~ [PLANET RUGBY RWC PAGE] ~ [RUGBYCANADA.CA]

Old
09-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
They missed out on the points. They remarkably failed to secure a bonus point, which condemns them to playing Australia in the quarter finals, and its not 2003 anymore.

Well they probably would have played Australia either way. But the wost part isn't that England failed to stamp any kind of authority on the game against a minnow nation, its that they played like they didn't care. Its an attitude thing more than anything else, which is a problem.
Well ireland fell 70 points short of their expected target, these minnows arent laying down for a beating....well not all of them.

Old
09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Well ireland fell 70 points short of their expected target, these minnows arent laying down for a beating....well not all of them.
Ireland got the 5 points. A win is a win.

The Irish always usually start off slow anyway & never have gotten out of the Q-Finals.. All of a sudden everyone is expecting 100-3 scorelines...

The Irish will do just fine.

Old
09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Ireland got the 5 points. A win is a win.

The Irish always usually start off slow anyway & never have gotten out of the Q-Finals.. All of a sudden everyone is expecting 100-3 scorelines...

The Irish will do just fine.
I know, I was just pointing out the fact that its wrong that a team has no chance of the cup because they didnt win their opening group by 60 points.

Old
09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
I know, I was just pointing out the fact that its wrong that a team has no chance of the cup because they didnt win their opening group by 60 points.
gotya.

Old
09-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Argentina took out France which is a bigger shock...
It's not really a shock.. Argentina have beaten France in 5 of their last 6 games now.

None of the Northern teams are clicking, all of the South ones seem to be in ominous form. Samoa gave South Africa a very tough time but as usual, they could not sustain their turbo charge after 50 minutes.

Old
09-10-2007, 05:46 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
The team has no chance because they aren't good enough. Its that simple. I mean you said yourself you didn't even watch the game. Like I said it wasn't just that they won by a small margin and only scored twice, its that their attitude to the game was dismal.

Australia dropped a lot of ball, turned over possession and played with almost no precision and still won by 90. South Africa were under intense pressure from the hard hitting Samoans and won by 50. New Zealand won by 60 against Italy- who have significantly improved and are no longer the pushovers they used to be- without reaching third gear. These three teams haven't played since July, and in South Africa's case they haven't had their best 15 on the field since June. The class difference is apparent, one of these three will win the Webb Ellis.

Fitness levels alone should put the top teams over teams like the USA and Namibia by 40 which is what you saw in the South Africa. Samoa faded as the game went on, and South Africa gradually dominated more and more as a a result. Makes you wonder about the preparation of Ireland and England.

I mean Christ, in Namibia you're talking about a team that lost to Uganda and Kenya.

Last edited by clefty: 09-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

September 11, 2007

Argentina 33
Georgia 3

[REPORT]

The Argentines rested 6 starters for this match. In 5-team round-robins teams often have to pick when to rest certain players. They no doubt felt the need to load up for the game against France. The big game for Georgia will be the one against Namibia for the pool's wooden spoon!

Up next:

Wednesday September 12th
USA v Tonga
Japan v Fiji
Italy v Romania

Canada's next game:

CANADA V FIJI
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16/2007 @ 6:45 A.M. CDT

[PREVIEW] - The lineups are not yet announced. The page should be updated after the mid-week games are done.

Bookmarks:

Old
09-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Steve L*

Argentina made very hard work of that game, Georgia did pretty well and the Argies only got the bonus point in the last minute.

Old
09-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Steve L*

Well done to the Japs, they played a really good game and just came short of a big upset against Fiji.

Game of the tournament so far for me, they put a lot of heart into that effort.

Old
09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
CycloneLaunch

Wasn't planning on watching any of the days matches but the Fiji/Japan game was great.

and the Romania/Italy game is close

Old
09-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

September 12, 2007

U.S.A. 15
Tonga 25

[REPORT]

The amazing Tongans are everybody's favourite underdog. But are they ever in need of some decent haircuts! This must have been tough on the USA, having to come back on short rest after having played England. Now the Tongans will be hoping to claim 2 wins in one tournament for the first time when they meet Samoa in a battle of the south seas.

Japan 31
Fiji 35

[REPORT]

Fiji join Tonga as South Pacific winners win this exciting win over Japan. The Japanese were playing on short rest but fielded a completely different starting line-up from the one with was decimated by Oz on the weekend. Now both must taste defeat at hands of CANADA!

Italy 24
Romania 18

[REPORT]

This was a must-win game for Italy after being hammered by the All Blacks. I was hoping for a Romanian upset. As the game showed, they are very close to Italy yet are not allowed in the Six Nations, nor are they provided with a means of qualifying for it.

Up next:

Friday 14th September 2007
England v South Africa

Saturday 15th September 2007
New Zealand v Portugal
Wales v Australia
Ireland v Georgia

Sunday 16th September 2007
Fiji v Canada
Samoa v Tonga
France v Namibia

Canada's next game:

CANADA V FIJI
on SportsNet and Setanta
[PREVIEW]

Bookmarks:

Old
09-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Roughneck

Well with a performance like that, England might not be able to get out of the group, especially with Robinson done. If South Africa hadn't let up after their 4th try, one can only imagine the outcome.

But despite England's futility, South Africa had one heck of a game. Their back 3 are just deadly and I'd say that Du Preez (I can't believe he's only 25) may already be better than Kelleher (Pienaar isn't bad either). I'd say the centres are their weak point, Steyn definitely isn't meant to be there but they can afford to experiment in the next couple games.

SA is now my #2 team in this tournament (which is handy because them and Ireland have the same jersey save a couple minor details).

Old
09-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

September 14, 2007

England 0
South Africa 36

[REPORT]

Engerlund's fears of this match were proven right. They barely beat the USA whilst the Boks were squashing the Samoans. The Samoans could conceivably defeat Engerlund. However, they could easily lose their next match vs. Tonga as well.

One thing for sure: This is the World Cup where Europe sucks. The teams from Africa, the Americas, and Asia-Paciific have all met or exceeded expectations thus far.
Code:
Pool A Standings
                    GP     Pts
South Africa         2      9
Tonga                1      4
England              2      4
USA                  2      0
Samoa                1      0
Up next:

Saturday 15th September 2007
New Zealand v Portugal
Wales v Australia
Ireland v Georgia

Sunday 16th September 2007
Fiji v Canada
Samoa v Tonga
France v Namibia

Canada's next game:

CANADA V FIJI

[PREVIEW]

Bookmarks:

Old
09-14-2007, 07:56 PM
CycloneLaunch

Gee South Africa are looking sharp, they are looking just as good as the All Blacks at this point. Does anyone know how the play offs system works? are they more likely to come up against NZ or Aus? or neither.

Old
09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Gee South Africa are looking sharp, they are looking just as good as the All Blacks at this point. Does anyone know how the play offs system works? are they more likely to come up against NZ or Aus? or neither.
Quarter Finals:
1:Winner B vs. Runner-Up A
2:Winner C vs. Runner Up D
3:Winner A vs. Runner Up B
4:Winner D vs. Runner Up C

Semi Finals
Winner 1 vs. Winner 2
Winner 3 vs. Winner 4

South Africa have far and away the easiest road to the final as they will (most likely) play Wales in the QF then any of Ireland, France, Argentina, Italy or Scotland in the semis while NZ and Australia get to battle it out yet again.

Old
09-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Quarter Finals:
1:Winner B vs. Runner-Up A
2:Winner C vs. Runner Up D
3:Winner A vs. Runner Up B
4:Winner D vs. Runner Up C

Semi Finals
Winner 1 vs. Winner 2
Winner 3 vs. Winner 4

South Africa have far and away the easiest road to the final as they will (most likely) play Wales in the QF then any of Ireland, France, Argentina, Italy or Scotland in the semis while NZ and Australia get to battle it out yet again.
That should translate to:

Australia v England/Samoa/Tonga
New Zealand v Argentina/Ireland/France
South Africa v Wales/Fiji/Canada
Argentina/Ireland v Scotland/Italy

Old
09-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Preview:

CANADA V FIJI

The pre-game build-up is picking up. Here are the links:

[RWC: CANADA SQUAD TO FACE FIJI] - Rugby Canada's release.
[PREVIEW] - The offical RWC site. It has lots of good stuff and many links.
[Suggit gets physical] - from RugbyRugby.com. The changes are at lock where, Mike Burak replaces Luke Tait, and at stand-off where Ryan Smith replaces Ander Monro. This is being touted as a sign the Canucks plan to rough up the Fijians.
[Canada aim for triple wins] - Planet Rugby story.

The line-ups are also confirmed, as follows:

CANADA

1 Rod Snow
2 Pat Riordan
3 Jon Thiel
4 Mike Burak
5 Mike James
6 Jamie Cudmore
7 Dave Biddle
8 Sean-Michael Stephen
9 Morgan Williams (c)
10 Ryan Smith
11 James Pritchard
12 Dave Spicer
13 Craig Culpan
14 Dth van der Merwe
15 Mike Pyke

Replacement

16 Aaron Carpenter
17 Dan Pletch
18 Mike Pletch
19 Luke Tait
20 Colin Yukes
21 Ed Fairhurst
22 Ander Monro

FIJI

1 Graham Dewes
2 Sunia Koto
3 Jone Railomo
4 Kele Leawere
5 Ifereimi Rawaqa
6 Semisi Naevo
7 Akapusi Qera
8 Sisa Koyamaibole
9 Mosese Rauluni (c)
10 Nicky Little
11 Isoa Neivua
12 Seremaia Bai
13 Seru Rabeni
14 Vilimoni Delasau
15 Kameli Ratuvou

Replacements:

16 Vereniki Sauturaga
17 Henry Qiodravu
18 Netani Talei
19 Jone Qovu
20 Jone Daunivucu
21 Maleli Kunavore
22 Norman Ligairi

Old
09-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

England v South Africa: more post-mortem commentary:

This match was significant in that it was the first marquee match-up of the tournament. England won the RWC in 2003 and South Africa in 1995. England have been sinking since their 2003 championship. Their fans feared the worst. That heightened after the USA game. This one confirmed it and the press is all over them.

[BBC]

[THE TELEGRAPH]

[YAHOO-UK OUTLOOK]

[YAHOO-UK GAME STORY]

From Planet Rugby:
[England reduced to zero]
[Ashton: `We`re stuck in a rut`]
[Smit praise `clinical` Boks]

From Scrum.com:
[England teetering on the brink]
[Springboks power past England]
[South Africa administer inevitable humiliation]