HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

All-Time Stars Greats #6

View Poll Results: When you think "Dallas Stars", who is the sixth person who comes to mind?
Brett Hull 5 22.73%
Ed Belfour 10 45.45%
Craig Ludwig 0 0%
Bob Gainey 0 0%
Ken Hitchcock 1 4.55%
Neal Broten 3 13.64%
Marty Turco 2 9.09%
Brenden Morrow 0 0%
Darryl Sydor 1 4.55%
Jamie Langenbrunner 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-08-2007, 08:50 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 0
All-Time Stars Greats #6

1. Mike Modano ... 97%
2. Sergei Zubov ... 27%
3. Jere Lehtinen ... 33%
t4. Derian Hatcher ... 22%
t4. Joe Nieuwendyk ... 22%
6. ? ... ?

Still tied after 32 (above-average!!!) votes in the previous poll, so I'll call it a draw for now, skip the number 5, put Derian and Joe on the board and replace them with Darryl Sydor and Jamie Langenbrunner.

Tell me who to add next.

Last edited by ck26: 09-09-2007 at 10:58 AM.
ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 08:52 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

To me, Belfour takes this in a walk.

Add Guy Carbonneau

Last edited by ck26: 09-09-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old
09-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Broten

09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Dr GLU

vCash: 500
How the hell does Langenbrunner get in the poll before Carbonneau?

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:09 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Hull

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 10:55 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
How the hell does Langenbrunner get in the poll before Carbonneau?
Carbonneau, Keane, Skrudland, Ludwig and Muller are five players off-hand whose careers are far better than their stints in Dallas. I had envisioned this poll as "who had the best stint in Dallas" and I hope people have been voting that way (basically they have, I think) ... now that we're past the obvious answers like Zubov and Lehtinen, we're now faced with some divergence in opinion.

As hockey players, Carbonneau > Langenbrunner, no doubt about it ... just look at their years in Dallas and it's a much closer argument.

Edit: Tell me who to add next.

Last edited by ck26: 09-09-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old
09-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Dr GLU

It's no coincidence that the beginning of the Stars struggles in the playoffs coincided with Carbonneau's retirement. His stint in Dallas was relatively brief, but he was the Stars premiere shutdown guy even with Lehtinen around. He was out there at the end of every game when holding a lead and more often than not got the job done.

Did he have a better career with Montreal? Definately, but he provided way more to the Stars than Langenbrunner, who was wildly inconsistent here and only skated with the Stars for two more seasons than Carbonneau, did.

Old
09-10-2007, 12:04 AM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
It's no coincidence that the beginning of the Stars struggles in the playoffs coincided with Carbonneau's retirement. His stint in Dallas was relatively brief, but he was the Stars premiere shutdown guy even with Lehtinen around. He was out there at the end of every game when holding a lead and more often than not got the job done.

Did he have a better career with Montreal? Definately, but he provided way more to the Stars than Langenbrunner, who was wildly inconsistent here and only skated with the Stars for two more seasons than Carbonneau, did.
I think GLU should be added to the poll.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 12:25 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:

The same thing can be said about the departures of Mike Keane, Dave Reid, Brian Skrudland and Craig Ludwig (right down to the 'better career with Montreal' for most of them) ... I have no real reason why I chose to put Ludwig in the original 10 names and not Carbo ... I don't think either belong in the top 5, but 8-12 seems about right ... since Ludwig has still not received a vote in any of the polls (which suprises me), I'll probably drop Ludwig and add Carbonneau and Keane to the next poll.

Old
09-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Dr GLU

The only one of those guys you mentioned that actually played in the 2000 playoffs with Carbonneau with the Stars was Keane. Ludwig had retired, Reid was gone to Colorado, and Skrudland was injured. Keane was a part of the team for a year after Carbonneau's retirement, and they only made it to the second round in 2001 (and were swept by STL).

It all added up over time of course, but the loss of Carbonneau was far larger than any one other piece among the role players. I, more than anyone, loved Muller (being a NJ fan when Muller, MacLean, and Verbeek were there), but he was a significant step down from Carbonneau.