HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hugh Jessiman (merged)

Old
09-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, honestly I'd like to see one of two things with Hugh next year. Either he gets a LOT of icetime in Hartford, or he plays on the 4th line with the Rangers.

I'll explain. Giving him little icetime in Hartford does absolutely nothing for him. This is a guy who desperately needs playing time to develop, and that's something that he severely lacked compared to most other prospects. His injury coupled with being a college player to begin with ends up meaning the amount of games he's played compared to most of the other Rangers prospects is quite small. If he's going to play in the AHL, the coaches need to give him a ton of icetime. This would be one instance where I think a player should continue to get icetime even if they're not producing game in and game out. I don't think Hugh effort level is ever poor, so I don't think he's slacking and not "earning" icetime in that way.

As for him being on the Rangers. I think it could be beneficial to his confidence, and his game to be able to practice with NHLers, get tips from them, see how they do things, and get in real NHL playing time. If Renney rolls his lines enough, he can still get 10 minutes per game or so, and it could help him as well. I don't think that this is as beneficial as a ton of icetime in Hartford, but I think we've also reached the point where something needs to be gotten out of Hugh, and if he can play on the 4th line and do well, then that's a start. Maybe he can earn his way up the lineup from there if he really starts getting it.

I don't feel there's any point in discussing Hugh as a draft pick anymore. At this point, it's about him as a player and what can be done (and what he can do) to become a useful NHLer
Totally agree with that last statement. The ship has sailed as far as him being a top prospect..But, he can still be a decent NHLer (3rd/4th liner)with all his size and attributes.

We just have to see if he can put it together CONSISTENLTY down in Hartford and why I agree with you that it would be really nice to see him get alot of ice time down in Hartford. But, with all the valid prospects we have now, he will have to earn that ice time of fall by the wayside.. Big, big year for him in Hartford....Where we disagree is the other option of him playing for NY ...Just son't think he's ready and I don't like bringing anybody up to NY untill they are consistently playing strong at the level they are at....Jessiman has yet to do it..But, I hope he does..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Black Tank

Let's rephrase the question: Can Jessiman develop into a fourth line role player with some skill at the NHL level? To do that, can he drop the gloves with the heavyweights? Can he consistently take the body on every shift? Can he be responsible defensively? And can he do all that after having warmed the bench for 10-15 minutes at a time? If so, he can be valuable for his size alone as our forwards continue to be undersized.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Taz

i read somewhere that the rangers were asking him to increase the physical/ fighting side to his game, seems like they are trying to make him into a decent role player and use his size for protection

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Levitate

How about we stop fighting about the Hugh threads of the past, and actually contribute to this thread.

If all you have to contribute is snarky comments to one another and complaining about past threads, then don't post, and the thread will go away.

In the past I've probably felt that such threads are useless, but discussing Hugh's chances to make the team this year could be mildly entertaining at least, if people stick on topic.

Quote:
Let's rephrase the question: Can Jessiman develop into a fourth line role player with some skill at the NHL level? To do that, can he drop the gloves with the heavyweights? Can he consistently take the body on every shift? Can he be responsible defensively? And can he do all that after having warmed the bench for 10-15 minutes at a time? If so, he can be valuable for his size alone as our forwards continue to be undersized.
I think he can, but I don't know when that will happen and if it will be with the Rangers. Part of the problem is that this is his last year on his entry level pro contract. If he can't show any marked improvement, then we might see the Rangers just cut him loose in order to make room for other prospects that are coming along.

From accounts, it sounds like even when he wasn't scoring last year, his game had improved to the point where he was useful on the ice. Being physical, etc etc. So...I dunno. If he can hold on to that and build on it, maybe he'll earn a shot this year. I actually like Hollweg, but it's not like he has such a firm hold on a 4th line spot that Hugh couldn't take it from him with some improved play.

There's still the briefest, smallest bit of hope in my mind that it will just kind of click for Hugh one day and we'll see the top 6 forward skills he was drafted for. But I think that will only come about if he first gets the basics down, and that seems to be what he's working on.

I guess part of me really wants to see him get some time with the Rangers this year, for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
i read somewhere that the rangers were asking him to increase the physical/ fighting side to his game, seems like they are trying to make him into a decent role player and use his size for protection
Yeah, I think they really asked him to do that last year. I think part of it is to get him more involved on what's going on out there on the ice, and part of it is just to make sure he uses the physical tools he has.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 10:01 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I was going to make a comment that all is not lost because players like Glen Murray took a lot of time to develope... but even Glen Murray was a pretty good AHL player as a 20/21 year old. The past couple years have been make or break for Hugh and it is looking more and more like he... well... he broke. Anything can happen but a 23 year old 3rd/4th line AHL player is not exactly a good bet to have a successful NHL career without a minor miracle (even if he is big). It really looks like Jessiman benefited from Stempniak more than vice versa back in their Dartmouth days. Would have been nice if the scouting staff while looking at Hugh had looked at Stempniak. I saw both play with Dartmouth and, though hind sight is 20/20, it isn't too surprising that Stempniak is doing well as a pro.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 10:39 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I still hold out hope for Hugh. BUT, I do wonder at why there's so much emotional attachment to the question of whether or not he'll make it to the pros. Seems to me that he has undue pressure because a)he was the last player taken before the team "figured it out" and began rebuilding properly and b)he was taken in a great draft year.

Again, I still have hopes for him - but if he doesn't pan out...? So what? The team's overall prospect pool is fantastic and we're in very good shape going forward regardless of whether or not Hugh makes the team. Too much importance is given to this one player.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 10:54 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i think the Rangers should use him as part of a trade package somewhere- there are some teams who's prospect pool is pretty bad....maybe we could cut our losses on hiim and get something back

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 10:56 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
anti-Ranger bias ....you can find ALOT worse picks than a #12 overall pick being a bust .....how about Alexander Daige?
Fat Balloon? Brian Lawton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
We finally have some potential for top liners--Anisimov, Dawes, Cherepanov, Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Bourret, Pyatt.
In no such way do Dawes, Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Bourret, and Pyatt have top-line potential. Top 6? Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If the Rangers were picking in the 25-30 range that year, sure one could take a swipe at Project Hugh. But at 12, there were a bevy of pretty much universally acknowledged better choices available.
We just weren't in a position depth-wise on the farm to take a project player, you're completely right about that.

Quote:
Besides Parise and Getzlaf none of these players have stood out. Richards has been average...Seabrook is an ok player but we have tons of D prospects. Boyle has yet to hit the NHL. Belle is nothing special, 9 total games in the NHL. Brown and Bernier are nothing special, certainly not better than Prucha or what Dawes can become when given the ice time. Stuart was still bouncing between the NHL and AHL last year. Who here besides Parise and Getzlef is the superstar we missed out on ???
Seabrook is an ok player? I suggest you watch more of the Hawks if you have Center Ice. He's a VERY UNDERRATED defenseman on a team that's piss-poor defensively. I'd love to have him on the Rangers. Brown is nothing great, I still think the comparisons I made with him to Deadmarsh can be achieved. Richards was overrated, and I think will be nothing more than a top-notch checking center, which I'd still like to have anyway. Bernier will be a top-6 power forward, and has already shown signs of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Hugh was a reach, high-risk pick then. He had one good season playing in a second level NCAA league.
Second level? The ECAC is arguably the worst conference in NCAA hockey.

Quote:
The two players most people mention, Parise and Getzlef are great examples. Parise was drafted before the NEW NHL where smaller players usuualy did not make it. That is why all the teams at the top of the draft passed on him.
I've been following college hockey for a while now, and having gotten to watch Parise for a bit as a Fighting Sioux, you could just tell that he was the kind of player that would have still been a great player in the old NHL.

Quote:
Getzlef had a tag of being lazy, which even now would totally turn the Rangers away from a prospect. Jessiman had/has an OUTSTANDING work ethic. Work ethic and character are MUST HAVES for any Rangers draft pick.
One of the biggest knocks on Jessiman has always been his work ethic/conistency.

Quote:
I cant see him making it as a scorer, more like Gaustad in Buffalo

6-8 goals 10-15 assists physical and will fight
I'll take a Gaustad type player. 10 goals, 20 points, servicable penalty killer, banger/grinder/mucker type player. With a blend of that kind of size and speed, if he could become that, I'd be happy, considering where he's been recently.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 02:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Again, I still have hopes for him - but if he doesn't pan out...? So what? The team's overall prospect pool is fantastic and we're in very good shape going forward regardless of whether or not Hugh makes the team. Too much importance is given to this one player.
The so what is that the shape of the organization could have been better.

The point is not how much importance is given to this one player. The point has been that as good a shape as the farm and the organization seems to be, it could have been better. There already may have been a good defenseman, that would have been a much cheaper option. There may have already been an impactfull top-6 forward. One can never say "so what", IMO. It is not that the organization made a bad pick, as all organizations will do. It is that it was such a poor decision at a very inappropriate time and in a draft where making a right choice was hard not to do.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 03:38 PM
ihatenewjersey

he will never get the chance to don our uni, he was a big waste from day one, couldnt even cut it in the echl, everyone who thinks he will ever play has a mental issue

ihatenewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The overall prospect pool is good but it is lacking in size and aggression. It would be nice to have a player who can add that dimension and still take regular shifts. But otherwise, no big loss.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 06:33 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
So basically they want him to become another Sandy MaCarthy, If anyone recalls MaCarthy used to light up the score board in Jr.s & the Minors, he held a team season record for Assists on one of his Jr. teams (I think it was a Jr.Team)

Jessiman is done with the Rangers, he will be traded or released evantually, He needs a fresh start some where else.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 08:01 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
So basically they want him to become another Sandy MaCarthy, If anyone recalls MaCarthy used to light up the score board in Jr.s & the Minors, he held a team season record for Assists on one of his Jr. teams (I think it was a Jr.Team)

Jessiman is done with the Rangers, he will be traded or released evantually, He needs a fresh start some where else.
unfortunately i agree. I like him and feel he could offer some kind of power forward game but it wont be with the Rangers unless injuries strike. Send him to a shallow club like Columbus who have the time todevelop projects like him.

His last chance to make the NHL is a very good year in the A this year otherwise no NHL club may even take him on.... pity.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
MontanaTrout

What would you guys do if he has a decent year. The way you guys are so down on life you'd think you were Red Sox fans. Christ, the boy is only 23.

MontanaTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I've got 2 words for you lol Ric Benitt

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 02:49 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTrout View Post
What would you guys do if he has a decent year. The way you guys are so down on life you'd think you were Red Sox fans. Christ, the boy is only 23.
its very true but his window of opportunity is closing. you cant wait forever. i like the guy and think he has tremendous potential but he to start showing it regularly.

If he has a decent year thats not enough... if he has a good year in Hartford i'd offer him a 1 yr 2 way deal with an option for another if certain targets are met...dangle him a carrot....

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
free0717

Big Day for Huge Speciman yesterday, two goals in the scrimmage.

Go for it Hugh!!!!!!!

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Hugh could be a major asset for this team. a big guy who can actually play hockey well and fight pretty well (not even close to being in Orr's league though). id love to see a 4th line of Hossa Betts Jessiman.

i bet you they would not only provide energy and still have a decent amount of intimidation, but theyd score some goals as well.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
clemsonRanger

well

two words and hugh will be a ranger next year

boxing lessons

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Pizza

The thing that struck me when I heard how well Hugh did yesterday was why was he so quiet the first two days?

Mind you I'm not there to see it so I have no first hand knowledge, but it seems he could have made a bit more noise coming out of the gate.

He's a big guy. When he decides to play physical you can't hardly miss it. I got the sense from reading Renney's comments that he and the rest of the organization wonder where that game is on a more consistant basis. I also got that they have not given up on him yet.

To me it's frustrating. I've seen very little of him but the size, skating and skill when I've seen it applied, is tantalizing. I hope he puts it together someday.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 05:19 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The thing that struck me when I heard how well Hugh did yesterday was why was he so quiet the first two days?

Mind you I'm not there to see it so I have no first hand knowledge, but it seems he could have made a bit more noise coming out of the gate.

He's a big guy. When he decides to play physical you can't hardly miss it. I got the sense from reading Renney's comments that he and the rest of the organization wonder where that game is on a more consistant basis. I also got that they have not given up on him yet.

To me it's frustrating. I've seen very little of him but the size, skating and skill when I've seen it applied, is tantalizing. I hope he puts it together someday.
Here's your answer -

Quote:
Nigel Dawes and Hugh Jessiman may have only just caught the attention of media observers today with their play in practice and scrimmages, but the coaching staff has been keen on both of them since the start of training camp.
Quote:
Renney, as well as Asssistant GM Jim Schoenfeld, have also noticed an uptick in Jessiman's performance at camp, one that eluded this observer until today. "He was good," Renney said. "He's a big guy, and when he plays a more linear game -- goes to the net and gets in on the forecheck -- he's an effective player. It's been a long time coming, but that one year, a real bad injury set him back a ways. We start to see now the momentum that we hoped we would have seen a year or two ago. It's starting to come. Where it ends up, who knows."
It's kind of funny that whenever the Jessiman apologists have brought up the injury, the naysayers shoot that theory down, but, from Renney's statements, the organization does feel that the injury has delayed his growth.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 05:38 AM
Levitate

I think there's really no doubt the injury slowed his progress, but I think it's also become apparent that his mental game at least just isn't quite there, regardless.

Again, maybe he gets it someday and can turn out to be a useful player. It's not like he has no talent at all and that it's completely out of the question for him to score some goals and put up some points. The physical tools are all there, as they say, but he hasn't figured out how to use them all on a consistent basis and get results. And I'm not sure that he would have gotten there even without his ankle injury. Maybe, but not everyone figures that stuff out.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Pizza

Jas, the quote you highlighted was what I was referring to. The part of that quote that interests me the most is this:

"He's a big guy, and when he plays a more linear game -- goes to the net and gets in on the forecheck -- he's an effective player".

People go on a bit about the mental limitations of Jessiamn's game. As I've stated, I have not seen the guy play enough to make a good judgement of my own. It seems to me that simplifying the game around him would be part of the answer for Jessiman. Keep it physical. Use the size and speed that you have naturally and opportunities to use your skill will present themselves.

That to me is what Renney seems to be saying and it makes sense.

Like I said, I hope he puts it together. A player with his assets, used properly could be very effective.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 11:47 AM
HenrikO'doyle

Could he maybe take Hollweg's spot on the 4th line? Or would we just send him to Hartford because we feel he'd develop more. Someone mentioned a Paul Gaustad player which would be good, and which would be a 4th liner.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:52 PM
HAPPY HOUR

And according to Sam Weinman, Hugh Jessiman scores the game winner in the annual Blue/White game.... Congrats Hugh. Keep it up.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote