HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

USHL vs QMJHL

Old
09-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mn Major View Post
The US has quite a few other leagues that can be compared with the CJAHL and the CIS.

But if you're going to compare the CHL to the USHL (with the NTDP and Shattuck)...you want to compare how watered down the talent is between the two of them.
And I thought you'd just make fun of my inaccurate #'s .
I don't think any leagues can be compared with-out meaningfull games for something, being played. Even if full game-day rosters are used, there's no intensity and guys who don't see the ice alot will in any kind of exhibition game. I don't see anything in US developmental hockey that says it's inferior to Canadian hockey development. More an emotional reaction by Canadian and American fans rather than from hockey people. Unless they're trying to sell season's tickets. Nothing sells like a "come see the best" campaign.
USA Hockey as a governing body may want to look at structure of leagues and maybe a more geographical approach. Hockey Canada may want to start stressing the U-17 and under levels a bit more?
But c'mon add in the U-20's in NCAA and USA Hockey or maybe hockey in USA is developing alot of top quality players.
But I'm from north of the border and am looking from the outside in.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 09:13 AM
5mn Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
And I thought you'd just make fun of my inaccurate #'s .
I don't think any leagues can be compared with-out meaningfull games for something, being played. Even if full game-day rosters are used, there's no intensity and guys who don't see the ice alot will in any kind of exhibition game. I don't see anything in US developmental hockey that says it's inferior to Canadian hockey development. More an emotional reaction by Canadian and American fans rather than from hockey people. Unless they're trying to sell season's tickets. Nothing sells like a "come see the best" campaign.
USA Hockey as a governing body may want to look at structure of leagues and maybe a more geographical approach. Hockey Canada may want to start stressing the U-17 and under levels a bit more?
But c'mon add in the U-20's in NCAA and USA Hockey or maybe hockey in USA is developing alot of top quality players.
But I'm from north of the border and am looking from the outside in.

Based on a poll they just ran from voters of the site...Americans made up almost 7 of the top 15 players...and exactly one third of the top 50 prospects.

5mn Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
VOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mn Major View Post
The US has quite a few other leagues that can be compared with the CJAHL and the CIS.

But if you're going to compare the CHL to the USHL (with the NTDP and Shattuck)...you want to compare how watered down the talent is between the two of them.
Compare who to what? The CHL's talent base is watered down compared to the USHL? Not likely. If the USHL were to receive all the country's top talent, then yes you would be right. It doesn't, as a result you can in no way say that the average (or even top) USHL team has more talent than its CHL counter-part.

Not sure what you mean by placing Shattuck in the equation. The team has had good players come through but remember, Parise did not play with Crosby and Crosby did not play with Esposito and so on. Did Shatuck have anybody of note on the entire team last year????

NTDP is a different situation of course as the program is stocked with talent. You can also throw in about 8-10 NCAA teams that are also stocked with talent (of course that is the general gripe about college hockey, a few have teams and a whole lot of have nots and its implications for competative games and so forth)

Oh by the way Major, did you read the latest edition of the Hockey News. Apparantly the war for players between Major A and the NCAA has really heated up over the years (as you know) and the sentiment among most is that Major A is gaining the upper hand(not that it ever really lost it). This has caused a growing number of college coaches demanding a rule change that would make CHL players eligible to play U.S. college hockey.......

Oh the interesting times we live in.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 11:22 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB View Post
Compare who to what? The CHL's talent base is watered down compared to the USHL? Not likely. If the USHL were to receive all the country's top talent, then yes you would be right. It doesn't, as a result you can in no way say that the average (or even top) USHL team has more talent than its CHL counter-part.

Not sure what you mean by placing Shattuck in the equation. The team has had good players come through but remember, Parise did not play with Crosby and Crosby did not play with Esposito and so on. Did Shatuck have anybody of note on the entire team last year????

NTDP is a different situation of course as the program is stocked with talent. You can also throw in about 8-10 NCAA teams that are also stocked with talent (of course that is the general gripe about college hockey, a few have teams and a whole lot of have nots and its implications for competative games and so forth)

Oh by the way Major, did you read the latest edition of the Hockey News. Apparantly the war for players between Major A and the NCAA has really heated up over the years (as you know) and the sentiment among most is that Major A is gaining the upper hand(not that it ever really lost it). This has caused a growing number of college coaches demanding a rule change that would make CHL players eligible to play U.S. college hockey.......

Oh the interesting times we live in.
Shattuck comes and goes. So Shattuck has its down years. They have seen Parise, Smaby, Stafford, JJ, Crosby, Esposito, Okposo, Toews, Hirsch, little Toews(last year), Chourney, Blood(last year), Gergen. Many of those guys overlapped. And there are more that have had smaller inpacts at the D1 level.

I hope the NCAA never lets CHL players join. It would create more headaches than anyone would want to deal with.

Are you sure he means the CHL is a watered down version of the USHL. Instead of the USHL has 12 teams and the CHL has 60 i think. Meaning unless the CHL has x5 the talent at that age level the USHL talent is tighter. Where the CHL has more teams and talent is spread around. Toss in Shattucks, the u18 and maybe enough prep and HS players to make up another 3-5 teams. The talent then gets spread around. But like we have seen with Shattucks they are not all american. And neither is the USHL. With Shattuck alone seeing players from Czech Republic, Canada, and Japan over the last few seasons. If the USHL went to 20 teams it would not be nearly as good. Just as the CHL were to cut to 50 teams it would be even better.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote