HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers preview articles

Old
09-10-2007, 04:18 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...svc=7&cxcat=46

Thank you Bill Clement.Nice to see someone in the media who knows what is talking about.Does Denis still beat his wife?The Panthers beat writer Brian Biggane doesn't realize Poti was an Islander last season and Rachenek was the #5/6 defenseman

Potvin Sucks

OK in goal?

Potvin Sucks

Some blue seater produced a Potvin Sucks song a long time ago.It was sold on one of those small records where singles where released.I have a copy somewhere

Potvin Sucks
So I sent an email to Brian Biggane yesterday:

I have to disagree with your assessment of the Rangers D. First of all, your article is simply inaccurate, as you write "But a defense that wasn't very good last year looks even more shaky after losing Tom Poti and Karel Rachunek." Tom Poti was an Islander for all of last season. That aside, the Rangers had one of the lowest GAA in the league (they were #9) so I don't exactly see how they can be considered "not very good." While they may not have a #1 dman (how many teams really do) they have a lot of steady guys who get the job done. If anything, they should be improved as 2nd year man Dan Girardi will be more experienced, and highly regarded prospect Marc Staal looks to make an impact. While the opposition won't fear the Blueshirts defense, they will be far from "shaky." Bill Clement has it right.

And I just got a response from him a few minutes ago:

Believe me, Clement is no fan either. When I asked him his biggest question concerning the Rangers, his answer was: "Can a maligned defense provide enough glue to keep the puck out of the Ranger net while they're hoping scoring bunches at the other end? There seems to be an imbalance there. But some say it's not as bad as people think."
The Rangers have Tom Renney's defense-first philosophy, not a solid blueline, to thank for those nice stats last year. Is Jagr going to come back again this year? Or Straka? Gomez and Drury won't be a problem in that regard. But for anyone to look at that defensive lineup and say it's even average ... not even close. More than anything it takes experience to learn how to play defense, and guy like Staal, Girardi and Hutchinson have little or none. There's no getting around that - and there will be a lot of getting around them.

Notice there's no mention of his factual error regarding Poti.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

I have to disagree with your assessment of the Rangers D. First of all, your article is simply inaccurate, as you write "But a defense that wasn't very good last year looks even more shaky after losing Tom Poti and Karel Rachunek." Tom Poti was an Islander for all of last season. That aside, the Rangers had one of the lowest GAA in the league (they were #9) so I don't exactly see how they can be considered "not very good." While they may not have a #1 dman (how many teams really do) they have a lot of steady guys who get the job done. If anything, they should be improved as 2nd year man Dan Girardi will be more experienced, and highly regarded prospect Marc Staal looks to make an impact. While the opposition won't fear the Blueshirts defense, they will be far from "shaky." Bill Clement has it right.

Believe me, Clement is no fan either. When I asked him his biggest question concerning the Rangers, his answer was: "Can a maligned defense provide enough glue to keep the puck out of the Ranger net while they're hoping scoring bunches at the other end? There seems to be an imbalance there. But some say it's not as bad as people think."
The Rangers have Tom Renney's defense-first philosophy, not a solid blueline, to thank for those nice stats last year. Is Jagr going to come back again this year? Or Straka? Gomez and Drury won't be a problem in that regard. But for anyone to look at that defensive lineup and say it's even average ... not even close. More than anything it takes experience to learn how to play defense, and guy like Staal, Girardi and Hutchinson have little or none. There's no getting around that - and there will be a lot of getting around them.

so on one hand he admits that our defense first system last year was the reason our numbers were so great, and on the other hand hes still saying they cant play D. uh, hello, anyone there? this is the new nhl, very very very few defeseman are good enough to shut down another teams forward attack on their own. if your entire group doesnt skate back hard and play defense then guess what, you are going to get torched big time. look at vancouver. they have a decent, albeit unspectacular group of defenseman, and outside of Ohlund, i dont think any of them are going to get any kind of consideration for the norris, however their entire team plays so great collectively in their own end, and they have an all world goalie that it makes up for any deficiencies they may have.

it truly takes a clueless hockey guy to not understand that in this day and age the defense has to come from the 5 man group, and not just the defenseman.

thats all im going to say on the subject.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 04:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Biggane's response to your note shows that he is clueless.Another Ranger hater in the media.Shocking

Biggane has never seen Girardi play.His response would be different.By the time Girardi was brought up,the Rangers had concluded their season series with FLA.Guess Biggane is not a NHL Center Ice guy

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote