Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating Frequency

09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
vCash: 500
Skating Frequency

Good evening,

I'm 32 and am getting back into hockey after about 16 years. Since I last played, I've spent more time jogging and am used to training for that. For running/jogging, I would run 3-4 times a week, and folks would argue against running each day, to prevent injuries, give recovery time, etc.. For skating, is the same true? For example, I have a men's league game every Sunday, and play a pick-up game Wednesday morning. If I want to get more skating in, when is the best time given that schedule? Can you skate more regularly than jogging, or does it defeat the purpose after a while? There are lunch hour skating times during the week and I could almost skate 5 times a week. (Alternatively, I coudl do leg weights instead) Anyway, you get the idea behind my question. Thanks for the help......

32leaguer is offline   Reply With Quote
09-12-2007, 12:46 AM
I think it depends on your standard and how bad you want to get back in to it. When I first started playing I was skating 3 times a week for a month and that was fine. I don't think you can really overdo skating if it's an hour and a half each time. Say 4 times a week skating and then the other days you can continue running or working out? I'm no expert or anything so it's just my own opinion.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
09-12-2007, 01:58 AM
CareyPrice x 31
vCash: 5407
I do it 4 times a week and I feel great

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
09-12-2007, 04:30 AM
it's a lot lower impact than jogging for sure. my knees ache when I jog, but I can skate 3-4 days a week no problem

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
NHL and AHL players skate every day and they do ok. I need to skate at least twice a week or my timing and endurance go to hell.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
09-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Talent Analyst
Originally Posted by Icer View Post
NHL and AHL players skate every day and they do ok. I need to skate at least twice a week or my timing and endurance go to hell.
I does too since two week , skating every day , and its ok . But a day or two off will be benefic for me . Skate as much you can .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Endurance is tough for me

I skate as much as I can... ice time is scarce here tho for me. I have skated 3-5 times a week in the best of times, but lately it's only been once a week and my endurance is going down very quickly. I would say at least 3 times a week should keep your game/skills up.

gqneon is offline   Reply With Quote
09-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Last season i was playing in 2 leagues and coaching. which meant i was on the ice 2 nights a week durning games and 1 night a week for my team practice. and usually did 1 or 2 pick ups on off days. And My legs were fine!

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
09-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Send a message via AIM to SS
durng the season, we have practice every weeknight. in my opinion, just skate as much as you can.

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
09-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Happy Pony
Last year, September through March, I was on the ice 6 days a week. Practice Monday and Wednesday, pick-up on Tuesday and Thursday and games on Friday and Saturday.

If you are getting enough sleep and the proper amount of nutrients, you will be just fine.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
09-17-2007, 12:15 AM
you could have a light skate at any time. From a rest standpoint, just avoid more than 2 days of heavy workouts and you should be fine. With time you'll adapt anyways but just pay attention to what your body tells you and it should work out. Any practice sessions will likely be more intense than your games....they should be anyway.

FYI Im in a similar boat, 27 yrs old and just got back to the ice after 15 years. Feels amazing!

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote