HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate / Boot Stretching

Old
09-11-2007, 03:57 PM
blackhawkjohn

vCash: 500
Skate / Boot Stretching

Hello all - first post. Sorry if this has been a topic already.

I coach my son's Squirt team out of Franklin Park, IL. New season starting means new equipment and was wondering if there were any easy ways to stretch out a new pair of skates, other than baking them or skating in them....

Thanks!

blackhawkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Really neither of those works. Sadly the only thing you can do is skate in them so they mold to your son's foot conture.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
sc37

vCash: 713
Yeah...either bake or skate in them mostly. But also try slapping on the skate guards and wear them around the house. I've also heard wear a warm damp sock while walking around helps too.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
MikeD

If a boot is too tight, get a better fit skate. Putting a shoe stretcher in the boot will cause a loss in the rigidity of the boot, decreasing protection from puck impact. If the skate is engineered for heat molding have it done. It will eliminate many hours of wear time from the break in period.

If it is a matter of getting the boot to relax, allowing the little guys to tighten their skates properly, pick up the lace wrenches. Cost is about 2 bucks each and they make it much easier for them to tighten their own skates.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
If a boot is too tight, get a better fit skate. Putting a shoe stretcher in the boot will cause a loss in the rigidity of the boot, decreasing protection from puck impact. If the skate is engineered for heat molding have it done. It will eliminate many hours of wear time from the break in period.

If it is a matter of getting the boot to relax, allowing the little guys to tighten their skates properly, pick up the lace wrenches. Cost is about 2 bucks each and they make it much easier for them to tighten their own skates.
I think stretching is perfectly acceptable at the squirt level. Once you start hitting the higher age groups, where they DO shoot much harder, then you might reconsider.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
MikeD

squirts can shoot in the 50 MPH range. Considering that many parents buy a middle of the road or lower cost skate(less rigid boot), I wouldnt take the risk.

Old
09-14-2007, 05:14 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
squirts can shoot in the 50 MPH range. Considering that many parents buy a middle of the road or lower cost skate(less rigid boot), I wouldnt take the risk.
I think you're overestimating the effects of stretching the boot. But I'd suggest the OP ignore both of us and talk to the shop. Age 10 squirts taking 50 MPH/80 KPH shots? Really?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
SharkMan19

I can tell you from working in a hockey shop that boot stretching will very likely be more expensive than heat molding. If your skate is designed for heat molding, that is the best way to go. Usually those boots can be baked up to 3 times.

SharkMan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 08:29 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
I think you're overestimating the effects of stretching the boot. But I'd suggest the OP ignore both of us and talk to the shop. Age 10 squirts taking 50 MPH/80 KPH shots? Really?
Absolutely! We have been to many tounaments as well as puckmasters where shot speeds are taken. These being Tier 1 (AAA) players. My own son is a goalie and shot an average of 47 MPH in his attempts at that age(player stick). While the tounament results from the "carnival" type set up might not be accurate, puckmasters is calibrated and certified accurate. The average 10 year old is in the mid 30 MPH with the top 3% being in the mid to low 50 MPH range. Considering these are all American players, I would bet the percentage and top range would increase if taken of our Canadian counterparts.

For what its worth, I always encourage people to disregard shot speeds when making a consideration that affects protection levels. Error on hte side of caution since it is our job to do what is right by our children. Hockey has its risks to begin with. We do not need to increase those risks of injury needlessly.

Old
09-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkMan19 View Post
I can tell you from working in a hockey shop that boot stretching will very likely be more expensive than heat molding. If your skate is designed for heat molding, that is the best way to go. Usually those boots can be baked up to 3 times.
I was in a shop and tried on a pair of Grafs that were on sale. Didn't fit too bad but not perfectly. The salesman offered to heat mould them to my feet to get an idea what they would feel like. He was insistent that it would be no problem and they could be done over and over, indefinitely. I declined as I was not ready to buy them at that time. I suspected he was wrong and that it could effect the skate for someone else, though I had no idea to what degree. Some must be more resilient than others to the process.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote