HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey stopping

Old
09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Central Jersey Devil

vCash: 500
Hockey stopping

Hello. I just skated for my second time ever today. I can go forward, backward, and make turns/crossovers with no problems. My issue is I can't stop. I can do deep knee bends/snowplows and am up to the point where I feel comfortable with doing a stop on just the outside foot, with the inside foot lifted off the ice. However, I don't know how to incorporate the other foot. I try to lower my inside foot but as soon as it touches the ice I just stop completely. Is there an instructional video I can buy or a stopping class I can take?

Chris

Central Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 10:43 PM
slightlystoopid

The most important thing is to know that you must teach yourself how to stop. No one can make you stop, they can only show you how they do it. Basically what I'm saying is practice, practice, practice. See what works for you. Learning the basics takes a lot of practice, but learning to stop is something you can learn along your way. Keep practicing skating, throw in a stop or two so you can get the feel. Eventually stopping will become a piece of cake.

slightlystoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 12:28 AM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

try this

Chris, I went through this over the summer with my son. I learned how to skate when I was 3 or 4 and had perfected the hockey stop by the time I started Mites. Like driving a stickshift, it is very difficult to tell someone what you are doing and in what order. It becomes habit.

What Jack did was drag his hind skate behind his coasting foot for a T-stop. Gradually he figured out how to turn his leading foot 45-degrees while he was doing the drag T. After a while he got more comfortable and pretty much learned a basic hockey stop on his own.

One tip for you is that you really should be stopping on both inside edges at first. The cool lean where you are inside-edge for the leading foot but outside on the other is not a good idea as it leaves you off balance for your next move.

Good luck. My son wouldn't practice his stops in open ice, always choosing the boards instead. I was so worried he was going to fall and bang his head on the boards while falling.

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Phoenix

Yeah, when i first learnt hockey stops I started with a T-stop and it all fell into place after that.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
gqneon

Hockey Stops

I have only been playing ice for a year now... stopping is still a challenge in some situations, but I had 5 people try to show me how it's done and I still had to figure out what worked on my own. It's tough to explain.

I learned by getting some forward momentum going, then I would lift my front foot slightly off the ice, turn the blade a tiny bit inward like snowplowing, then adjust the angle of the blade edge to the ice from one extreme to the other until it make a smooth scraping sound and you can feel the friction. From there, you learn to put more weight on that edge and the back foot can follow after enough repitition. Eventually I could turn my body 90 degrees to my direction of travel and use both edges to adjust how fast I stopped... that's about where I'm at now. I hope that helps.
Steve

gqneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 10:57 AM
TaiMaiShu

I would think the V stop would be easier than the T stop. With the V all you need to do is point your toes together. But at higher speeds and you can slowly stop by just pointing one of your feet in. Otherwise yea T stop makes more sense.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 01:58 AM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
I would think the V stop would be easier than the T stop. With the V all you need to do is point your toes together. But at higher speeds and you can slowly stop by just pointing one of your feet in. Otherwise yea T stop makes more sense.
While it may be easier, it is a little hard for me to recommend a V-stop. Sure, it is a way to stop, but it isn't a gateway to learning the hockey stop he seems to be asking about in the original post.

Snowplowing one of the skates with the rear dragging is that 2nd phase T with a 45-degree forward skate I referred to above. A V-stop isn't really a way to learn a hockey stop.

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote