HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Which visor to get?

Old
09-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Senor Rational

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Which visor to get?

Im looking at new half visors.

Ive tried a 42 (RBE) itech and an oakley (Pro Straight Small cut).

Has anybody tried the following:
Oakley (W vents)
Oakley (2.0)
Nike Bauer 1500

and whats the difference between the Itech's Dx100 and X100 and the different type of replacement shields?

Thank you!

Senor Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 01:06 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
I dont believe there's much of a difference between the DX and X100...think it's mostly the frame where there's a bit of a difference.

Personally, I wouldn't go with an Oakley just cause of the high maintenance with having to use the AFR spray only (which is hard to find btw). Itech IMO is the way to go, plus they are cheaper. But the RBE is a bit too cheap and would spend the money and get a HS22.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Patrick Bateman

You should get the mirrored visor. You will get a hat trick every game and skate 40% faster.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyways, I love Oakley's sleek looks and clear visuals, but I am done with them after going through 3 visors in a span of 5 months because of bad crystalizing, even though I only used the AFR spray to clean them. I have since switched to an Itech straight cut and couldn't be happier. It is tough and can be cleaned with just about anything.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman: 09-15-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Ducks

I use Itech. although if you are considering wearing a shield, that means you care about your face. I'd go with a full shield or half and half, a stick can still slip through a half shield fairly easy. And your mouth and teeth are still completely unprotected.

If you just care about looking cool by all means. I'll stick with my Itech Concept II and protect my entire face. Then again I play in a beer league where a lot of guys don't watch their sticks.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Rational View Post
Im looking at new half visors.

Ive tried a 42 (RBE) itech and an oakley (Pro Straight Small cut).

Has anybody tried the following:
Oakley (W vents)
Oakley (2.0)
Nike Bauer 1500

and whats the difference between the Itech's Dx100 and X100 and the different type of replacement shields?

Thank you!
The only difference between the DX and the X100 is the fact that the DX has a clear coat put on it to make the replacement shields and the actual clips stronger and less scratchable, etc, etc.

I'd wear the Itech. I work at a pro shop in town and we get lots of complaints about the Oakleys.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Patrick Bateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
I use Itech. although if you are considering wearing a shield, that means you care about your face. I'd go with a full shield or half and half, a stick can still slip through a half shield fairly easy. And your mouth and teeth are still completely unprotected.

If you just care about looking cool by all means. I'll stick with my Itech Concept II and protect my entire face. Then again I play in a beer league where a lot of guys don't watch their sticks.
It's not about looking cool. A full cage or half & half really messes up your peripheral vision. A visor protects your eyes without sacrificing your vision. Yes, you may get the occasional stick in the face, but a busted lip will heal.

Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezilla View Post
It's not about looking cool. A full cage or half & half really messes up your peripheral vision. A visor protects your eyes without sacrificing your vision. Yes, you may get the occasional stick in the face, but a busted lip will heal.

But 2 knocked out teeth won't and a stick can still catch you in your eye.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Ducks

the vision in the Itech full shields is just fine. I'd be fine going with a half shield and a mouth piece if cracked or splintered blades didn't happen to be so freaking sharp. you could slice your mouth wide open without even touching your teeth.

and like i said before you can still catch a stick underneath your shield.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I tried a shield for a game and did not like the close calls with the sticks, pucks, elbows, shoulders, etc.

But if you're all about visibility, why not get either a Concept II but remove the chinpad, or maybe consider something like this combo model from Oakley:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=OFFP

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 06:09 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I had an Itech visor forgot the model but broke after 3 months and bought an oakley with a bit of the tint and has been awesome. i used a little shampoo on the visor 2 weeks after i got it for xmas and it has yet to fog up on me or affect my vision. I have herd everyones problems about oakleys but i never have had a problem with them even there sun glasses.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Joe Cole

This is not aimed at the thread starter... just general opinion on visors.

Here is the bottom line. If you are under the age of 40, you grew up playing in league hockey with a full cage or shield. If you have not gotten used to it yet, find another game.

As for perifferal vision... give me a freaking break. I have played at pretty high levels and let me tell you, guys that are good are good with a full shield or not. Not so good guys do not get better with less face protection. Simple.

I hate playing against guys without a shield. Spit happens and I do not want to feel responsible for my shot takes out a guys teeth or eyes.

Wear a full shield.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Here is the bottom line. If you are under the age of 40, you grew up playing in league hockey with a full cage or shield. If you have not gotten used to it yet, find another game.

As for perifferal vision... give me a freaking break. I have played at pretty high levels and let me tell you, guys that are good are good with a full shield or not. Not so good guys do not get better with less face protection. Simple.

I hate playing against guys without a shield. Spit happens and I do not want to feel responsible for my shot takes out a guys teeth or eyes.

Wear a full shield.
Double true.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I rock the 8500 cage and love it, but if I were going visor, it would be the FX-50 combo. I didn't like the flat visors as I felt dizzy with them on and the rounded ones felt better. With straight up visor, X100 or DX100.

I would also avoid Oakley for the AFR spray. I had an Oakley visor and it fogged up like hell and was a pain. Got my cage and never looked back.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 07:44 PM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
I wear a cage. People always say that you cant see with it, and I dont even notice it. I did used to wear a half shield but I decided to go back to wearing a cage. After takin sticks in the mouth (stiches). Stick to the cheek(stiches) And then the grand prize getting a slapshot puck to the jaw. Now just to remind everyone all thoses were seprate games I decided to get the cage. I realized I dont get paid to play hockey so why risk my face. Plus my jaw still hurts from the puck from the slapshot. And that was 7 years ago. Ever since the cage, no more stiches.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 09:12 PM
true_moose

I played a year of Junior B in a pretty physical league and never had any problem with a half visor. Now granted, I was probably pretty lucky, but I really preferred the half. Ironically, my second year of midget, when I was playing with the full cage, it actually worked against me. I got elbowed along the boards and the bottom of my cage was driven into my face. If I had been in a half, I don't think I would have the lovely scar or the stitches. But getting high-sticked in one sucks. My league mandates that we wear full masks, but in shinny and when I leave school, I will go back to a half-visor, personally.

As for the original poster's question, I have been sporting the iTech and love it. I had an Oakley (Crosby style) for a Jr A camp a few years back, and did not like it half as much. It was smaller, but I didn't feel any difference in my sight.

true_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Asharx

I have the FX-50 combo. I bought it used for $4 at a 2nd hand store. The visor that came with it was a bit scratched. So I bought the 2 pack RX2 replacement visors for it, along with a new chin peice. Being used it didn't come with the hardware kit, the loops that I had from my cage didn't sit right with it so I sent an e-mail to Itech and they sent me the hardware package for it at no charge.

I find it fogs up a little when on the bench but as soon as I am back on the ice it clears very quickly.

I really like it.

Asharx is offline   Reply With Quote