HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Training Camp Thread

Old
09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
The Official Training Camp Thread

Post your thoughts and observations in this thread

Posted by Pred303guy (NP.com poster)
just got back from the first practice... only got to stay to see the first group unfortunately... a very spirited , tough ,well organized practice though... an impressive first showing i thought..

some brief, general notes/observations;

squad split into two "teams" for this first week of camp as always..

"blue" team roster;
centers- legwand,nichol, peverly, smithson, spaling
lw's- erat, hordy, philistrom, santorelli, setzinger,sjodin
rw's- dumont, hornqvist, ellison, ortmeyer
d- blum, de vries, franson, henry, laakso, matheson, sulzer, weber, zidlicky
g- daigneault, grumet, mason

"white" team roster;
c- arnott, bonk, o'reilly, mike santorelli
lw's- fiddler, gelinas, guerrieo, vigilante, wilson
rw's- langfeld, maki, radulov, thuresson, tootoo, willis
d- dietrich, hamhuis, klein, koistinen, niskala, stehlik, suter, yonkman, zanon
g- ellis, rinne, smith

as always they try to spread veterans out fairly equally, and note the head to head guys fighting for jobs (klein- koistinen and rinne- ellis and then even fiddler- gelinas) are paired with the same team going up against each other for easier comparisons..

the first group (all i got to see), looked good today... some guys have added weight, weber and legwand really show as bigger than last year.. both look more solid... a fairly small forward team with that first group though, as only hordy, sjodin, and dumont are listed as over 200.. while the "white team" has 8 forwards listed over 200.. we're going to see a pretty good "speed versus strength" contrast between the two forward "teams" in these scrimmages coming

in general we looked good... not rusty like you often see the first day... in general the youngsters with that first unit looked pretty good..santorelli, philistrom, setzinger, laakso all had good practices... philistrom is smallish, but he has some good hands and looked solid shooting the puck in particular..

something i got a laugh out of, as the practice was starting they were running 2 on 1 drills and mason was in net... when the puck was still down ice but coming toward him, i look over and mason has his glove up toward me.. at first i cann't figure what he was doing... then i realize he's waving at me, lol... what a good guy this guy is..

i thought gromet-morris struggled a little in the drills, but daignealut looked ok today.. mason looked ok as well

in some of the speed and agility drills for the defensemen, franson struggled to stick with a few of our forwards, as did blum.. weber looked ready to play right now, as did de vries.. zidlicky got caught out of position once and was the only one trotz personally called out on these drills, amking him do pushups.. laakso had a good practice, as did henry i thought.

on the offensive side, the best shot of the entire practice was a slapshot from philistrom on one of the drills, but in general you would probably say the defense was a little ahead of the offense on this first day (which is entirely normal)

erat, and legwand and dumont all looked good and skated free and easy i thought; they really were the "vets" out there and their confidence and looseness showed i thought..

ortmeyer was smaller than i remembered, but he showed a little ability in front of the net that surprised me some

weber is going to be a stud this year, an absolute stud

erat-legwand-hornqvist (note erat moved back to LW)
philstrom-smithson-ortmeyer
setzinger-nichol-dumont
sjodin/hordy-peverly/spaling-ellison

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Jarnberg

I can't wait to go tomorrow!

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the European players, especially Hornqvist.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Garl

Just looked at training camp roster.

Sjodin is 6'0 230 lbs? At 19 y.o.? Massive guy.

Stehlik is 6'4 248. Hornqvist is listed at 5'11 194. Laakso is 6'1 211 Pretty big.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Post your thoughts and observations in this thread

Posted by Pred303guy (NP.com poster)
just got back from the first practice... only got to stay to see the first group unfortunately... a very spirited , tough ,well organized practice though... an impressive first showing i thought..

some brief, general notes/observations;

squad split into two "teams" for this first week of camp as always..

"blue" team roster;
centers- legwand,nichol, peverly, smithson, spaling
lw's- erat, hordy, philistrom, santorelli, setzinger,sjodin
rw's- dumont, hornqvist, ellison, ortmeyer
d- blum, de vries, franson, henry, laakso, matheson, sulzer, weber, zidlicky
g- daigneault, grumet, mason

"white" team roster;
c- arnott, bonk, o'reilly, mike santorelli
lw's- fiddler, gelinas, guerrieo, vigilante, wilson
rw's- langfeld, maki, radulov, thuresson, tootoo, willis
d- dietrich, hamhuis, klein, koistinen, niskala, stehlik, suter, yonkman, zanon
g- ellis, rinne, smith

as always they try to spread veterans out fairly equally, and note the head to head guys fighting for jobs (klein- koistinen and rinne- ellis and then even fiddler- gelinas) are paired with the same team going up against each other for easier comparisons..

the first group (all i got to see), looked good today... some guys have added weight, weber and legwand really show as bigger than last year.. both look more solid... a fairly small forward team with that first group though, as only hordy, sjodin, and dumont are listed as over 200.. while the "white team" has 8 forwards listed over 200.. we're going to see a pretty good "speed versus strength" contrast between the two forward "teams" in these scrimmages coming

in general we looked good... not rusty like you often see the first day... in general the youngsters with that first unit looked pretty good..santorelli, philistrom, setzinger, laakso all had good practices... philistrom is smallish, but he has some good hands and looked solid shooting the puck in particular..

something i got a laugh out of, as the practice was starting they were running 2 on 1 drills and mason was in net... when the puck was still down ice but coming toward him, i look over and mason has his glove up toward me.. at first i cann't figure what he was doing... then i realize he's waving at me, lol... what a good guy this guy is..

i thought gromet-morris struggled a little in the drills, but daignealut looked ok today.. mason looked ok as well

in some of the speed and agility drills for the defensemen, franson struggled to stick with a few of our forwards, as did blum.. weber looked ready to play right now, as did de vries.. zidlicky got caught out of position once and was the only one trotz personally called out on these drills, amking him do pushups.. laakso had a good practice, as did henry i thought.

on the offensive side, the best shot of the entire practice was a slapshot from philistrom on one of the drills, but in general you would probably say the defense was a little ahead of the offense on this first day (which is entirely normal)

erat, and legwand and dumont all looked good and skated free and easy i thought; they really were the "vets" out there and their confidence and looseness showed i thought..

ortmeyer was smaller than i remembered, but he showed a little ability in front of the net that surprised me some

weber is going to be a stud this year, an absolute stud

erat-legwand-hornqvist (note erat moved back to LW)
philstrom-smithson-ortmeyer
setzinger-nichol-dumont
sjodin/hordy-peverly/spaling-ellison
It seems to me that if Pred303 wanted to post his thoughts and observations about training camp, he should be allowed to do it himself, since in fact, he is a regular member of this board.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
It seems to me that if Pred303 wanted to post his thoughts and observations about training camp, he should be allowed to do it himself, since in fact, he is a regular member of this board.
lol, it's ok Seamus im'ed me and asked if he could because i couldn't get on the HF boards from work today..

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Pred303

all in all it was a good first day... a few things certainly jump out to discerning eyes however...

..much less up front speed than the past two-three seasons
..we have a wealth of defensemen that could play in this league for most teams
..we are younger than ever overall, an average age of only 25 at camp
..what a gap we have between NHL forwards and the forwards we'll be sending down to Milwaukee
..we going to have to win games this season on the defensive side of the ice and in net, because looking at the forwards out there today, it'll surprise me if we can score 230 goals between the talent loss and the slower paced game we now plan on playing
..guys like henry and yonkman and stehlik and laakso and sulzer could find spots in the NHL on several teams and they don't have a chance to stick here really
..we're going to field a huge defensive team in Milwaukee, with a group of small, quick offensive players.
..we're going to have to win the tight one goal games this year, probably 75% of them... that's the difference in this team finishing 10th and finishing 5th

Old
09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
lol, it's ok Seamus im'ed me and asked if he could because i couldn't get on the HF boards from work today..
Well then.....my bad......carry on.

Heard Arnott interviewed on XM today after their practice.
Nothing that we haven't heard before, but he will be a great ambassador for the Preds with the media....very articulate, seemingly genuine.
Had great things to say when asked about Weber and Radulov.

Looking forward to camp tomorrow....traveling up tonight to stay the weekend in a hotel next to Centennial.
Usually see Mitch Korn and a number of the prospects there that don't have places in the area....should be a great time.

Old
09-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Good comments. I'm not surprised at the defensive position. I am surprised that we have sat on the wealth of defensive prospects we have had for so long......We did move Parent last year in the Forsberg deal. I cannot imagine what our situation would be like if he was here, as I truly believe he would be the no. 1 out of Laakso, Klein, Blum, Franson, and the lessers (Suzler, Stehlik, etc.)

If Klein doesn't make the camp this year, one would think he has to be dealt.....

09-15-2007, 01:10 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I only saw the second group....new bleachers in Centennial, not sure I like them. But depending on where I sit it's like at the games, I either look over the bar at one end or under at the other end of the ice.

Hamhuis looked good. NO ONE got by him today. He laid a good hip check on someone. I didn't see who it was, but I heard it!

Radulov and Arnott looked ready to go. Radulov looks a little bigger than I remember. Arnott and Suter had to do a drill together and it was like watching 2 kids playing and laughing. Just from today, I think Arnott will be a great captain.

Radulov got high sticked and the guy had to do push ups, I think it was Niskala. No blood on Radulov.

Yonkman was big, mean in front of the net.

Jeremy Smith made some really good saves in one of the drills.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 02:18 AM
JussiM

Exciting to finally read about about some Preds hockey! Thanks for posting!

JussiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 06:19 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
....We did move Parent last year in the Forsberg deal. I cannot imagine what our situation would be like if he was here, as I truly believe he would be the no. 1 out of Laakso, Klein, Blum, Franson, and the lessers (Suzler, Stehlik, etc.)

If Klein doesn't make the camp this year, one would think he has to be dealt.....
I don 't know, I heard (Poile) the Flyers wanted Franson but Poile wouldn't give him up, so they agreed to Parent.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don 't know, I heard (Poile) the Flyers wanted Franson but Poile wouldn't give him up, so they agreed to Parent.
Interesting...

I genuinely felt that Parent would be the most untouchable of the group, but he was dealt to get a rare talent like Forsberg. I thought Ryan had exactly what we needed in our system - a pure defensive defenseman, with amazing speed, good size, and while not an offensive player....a solid first pass. I'm not upset that he is gone, but he is one that I would love to have back. Visions of our own Robyn Regher were very enticing.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Pred303

well... just back from today's practices and first scrimmage.. man is it good to see hockey.. a few general thoughts;

a lively, hard played, if one-sided scrimmage.. yesterday i mentioned we had one speed team (the legwand-erat-dumont-weber group) versus one slower team with more size (arnott-radulov-bonk-suter group)... speed and quickness won today, quite convincingly in fact 4-0.. (they played two 25 minute, clock continually running 'periods')

scoring went like this;

about 4 minutes into the first, the legwand-erat-hornqvist line cycled the puck down low and drew the defense in tight, passed the puck out to an open blum on the left point, and as the defese ran to get back out to him blum passes to the right point to franson who booms a great shot in thru a legwand screen by rinne who never saw it... 1-0 team wearing blue

about 6 minutes later, dumont drives from the point to the low right slot and makes a nice cross crease pass to nichol who nails a beauty of a 30 foot wrister from just inside the left faceoff dot over rinne's left shoulder, 2-0 blue team

on one end of the ice philstrom crushes radulov off the puck on the end boards, and causes a turnover going the other way, then at the 13:00 mark of the first, the smithson-ortmeyer-philstrom line (blue), does a great job of cycling the puck down low for about 15 seconds, draws the defense down too low and smithson makes a nice centering pass to a wide open philstrom standing all alone in the mid to low slot.. philstrom, who i told everyone yesterday can shoot the frigging puck, makes a great little snap shot back to rinne's riught before he can react, 3-0 blue team

that was the scoring in the first..

then about halfway thru the 2nd period, legwand with a breakaway in on ellis... legwand goes forehand to backhand and as ellis tries to move right to left to get over, he opens the 5 hole and legwand taps it thru, the breakaway move we've all seen legwand do 10 times.. 4-0 blue

that was all the scoring, not a ton of other real good scoring chances.. radulov with 4 good chances in the game.. two breakaways that he was stopped on, a great toe drag around a defender and a wicked wristshot and great glove save by grumet-morris, and a fan on a great 2 on 1 saucer pass from arnott..

in general it was an up and down, tight checking scrimmage, very few odd man rushes given up really

lines were pretty fluid because of all the players on both teams, bu mostly they looked like this;

blue
hordichuk-nichol-dumont
erat-legwand-hornqvist
pihlstrom-smithson-ortmeyer
ma. santorelli-spalling-sjodin
setzinger-peverly-ellison

white
fiddler-oreilly-tootoo
willis-arnott-radulov
gelinas-bonk-langfield
thuresson-vigilante-mi. santorelli
guerriero-maki-wilson

with defensive pairing being really changing from shift to shift, they started like this;

blue
devries-weber
sulzer-zidlicky
franson-blum
laakso-matheson
(don't think henry played, even though he practiced beforehand)

white
klein-hamhuis
stelhik-koistinen
zanon-dietrich
suter-toskala
yonkman

all in all a fun thing to watch, very few stoppages, very few penalties.. which tends to show that physically the players are in pretty good shape for this early.. normally you get tons of hooking and holding the first few scrimmages because players are out of shape

watching this team, you get the idea this is not a team for the masses... not enough names, not enough glitz, not enough scoring for the casual fan to bite into this group early.. this is a team the true hockey fan could learn to love though, a gritty bunch of hustling players, with few bigs names, that are going to have to win many games based on hustle, effort and a refusal to lose..underdogs can make great stories

Last edited by Pred303: 09-15-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old
09-15-2007, 02:14 PM
HansonBro

radu lookin good??

Last edited by HansonBro: 09-15-2007 at 03:41 PM.
HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
radu looin good??
yes... he's ready to go.. has really improved his skating drastically over last year, the only knock anyone had on his game

Old
09-15-2007, 02:38 PM
braindead

A few additional thoughts and a couple of additions/corrections:

On the 1st goal there may have been a Legwand screen but the key screen, right in front of the goalie was Horqvist. He had cracked Suter with a bit of a cross check as he arrived and did a great job of holding position. I was right behind Rhinne and he never had a chance. That being said, I though he looked flat today and on that play in particular he needed to clear some space, move his head or cover the lower part of the net..... something.

The Rads toe drag shot was just after Daignault had replaced Gromet and it was a great glove hand reaction by Daignault. His positioning is not as fluid generally but that was a big time stop.

Players to mention:

All the regulars looked as good as they should have. Special props to Nichols though who had some very good plays. Not so much for Tootoo who hogged the puck a couple of times when he should have passed and didn't-- along with not much physical play. Hordy though... he hit everyone and hit them hard. I didn't notice Bonk at all-- wasn't even sure he was out there honestly.

Suter looks very good and his passing is much much better than I remembered and I remembered it being great. Breakout year ahead.

Legwand looked bigger and mature. Weber, Hamhuis, DeVries all looked good.

Special props to:

Cal O'Reilly: He repeatedly made some very slick passes in heavy traffic.

Hornqvist and Phillstrom: both had very good games. Phillstrom looks small though.
I can't help but think that Hornqvist has some shot of making it out of camp while Sully is out, although Trotz doesn't seem like the type that would start a rookie on his top line over [insert any veteran other than Hordy here].

Klien: I thought he looked better than Koistenen AND Zanon today, although both were very solid as well.

Yonkman laid some big hits but I just don't think he can crack this lineup and his passing is not up to the others.

The rest of the D was less impressive. You can tell Franson has some solid talent but is still green. Blum is a boy among men at this point and the speed hurt him (he will have to learn to make much faster decisions, but no surprise there).

On other notes:

My kids got an official nhl practice puck thanks to an errant shot.

Sully was in the building and signed some stuff briefly for some fans and said the back is ok, etc., etc. Crispy was there as well.

I have some pictures as well but haven't looked at them yet.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
A few additional thoughts and a couple of additions/corrections:

On the 1st goal there may have been a Legwand screen but the key screen, right in front of the goalie was Horqvist. He had cracked Suter with a bit of a cross check as he arrived and did a great job of holding position. I was right behind Rhinne and he never had a chance. That being said, I though he looked flat today and on that play in particular he needed to clear some space, move his head or cover the lower part of the net..... something.

The Rads toe drag shot was just after Daignault had replaced Gromet and it was a great glove hand reaction by Daignault. His positioning is not as fluid generally but that was a big time stop.

Players to mention:

All the regulars looked as good as they should have. Special props to Nichols though who had some very good plays. Not so much for Tootoo who hogged the puck a couple of times when he should have passed and didn't-- along with not much physical play. Hordy though... he hit everyone and hit them hard. I didn't notice Bonk at all-- wasn't even sure he was out there honestly.

Suter looks very good and his passing is much much better than I remembered and I remembered it being great. Breakout year ahead.

Legwand looked bigger and mature. Weber, Hamhuis, DeVries all looked good.

Special props to:

Cal O'Reilly: He repeatedly made some very slick passes in heavy traffic.

Hornqvist and Phillstrom: both had very good games. Phillstrom looks small though.
I can't help but think that Hornqvist has some shot of making it out of camp while Sully is out, although Trotz doesn't seem like the type that would start a rookie on his top line over [insert any veteran other than Hordy here].

Klien: I thought he looked better than Koistenen AND Zanon today, although both were very solid as well.

Yonkman laid some big hits but I just don't think he can crack this lineup and his passing is not up to the others.

The rest of the D was less impressive. You can tell Franson has some solid talent but is still green. Blum is a boy among men at this point and the speed hurt him (he will have to learn to make much faster decisions, but no surprise there).

On other notes:

My kids got an official nhl practice puck thanks to an errant shot.

Sully was in the building and signed some stuff briefly for some fans and said the back is ok, etc., etc. Crispy was there as well.

I have some pictures as well but haven't looked at them yet.
I also can't wait for the Hornqvist era to begin ... he had a sweet little pass to Legwand late in the 1st 'period' during a rush and I really can't wait until he's on the big squad after this season

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 03:20 PM
handtrick

Just a few additional observations:

Stehlik is looked terrible today....can't handle the puck, can't receive a pass, passes behind his target, and doesn't use his size effectively. It is a shame, because he is a specimen physically.

Philstrom, despite his size, impressed me....could skate well, played very agressively, had a nose for the puck, hit, and appeared to have some offensive instincts with some ability to finish. Reminded me more of Nichol than Sully, unfortunately.

Niskala did not stand out....looks "old" in person compared to the other guys.

Passes seemed more rusty than what I expected to see after reports from yesterday.....some good passes through traffic, but many more fumbled or put behind the target, especially on the d to d passing.

The practice did have a great pace and continued effort and tight checking....not alot of big hits, just tight checking. The one thing that stands out is the skill level is just no where near what it was last year...but I got to admit, that with this many prospects still in camp....what skill we do have is really diluted out.

Overall a good scrimmage today....the practice business-like and full of effort. Alot of chaos out there in the scrimmage as it was evident that there were almost no systems implemented and a lot of unfamilair guys playing with each other....all to be expected this early in camp.

Old
09-15-2007, 03:59 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
How is hamhuis looking?

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
First, let me say it was nice to finally meet P303 and Handtrick and get a few minutes to chat with each of you.

As for my observations, many have already been covered so I'll just hit some high points.

P303, you actually missed a goal. Towards the end of the second half the Ortmeyer-Smithson-Pihlstrom line had a good cycle going on down low and kicked it out to Weber who was wide open at the point...Weber walked the line a little and unleashed his cannon, which Smith made the initial save on, but his rebound was kicked right out to Pihlstrom standing off the opposite post for Antti's second goal of the game as he snapped the rebound into the back of the net. The final score was 5-0...even the Predators have it wrong (4-1) on their article from this morning. Franson, Legwand, Nichol, and Pihlstrom (2) were the goal scorers.

As I mentioned to P303 at the end of the first half, the flow of the game was pretty good...the players were skating hard...and there was only one penalty called in that time and really nothing missed by the referees. This tells me that the players are in good shape right out of the gates this season and are in a good state mentally as they are avoiding the obstruction (hooking, holding, interference) type of penalties you see when players get tired and begin to get a little lazy and start reaching whether it is with their stick or their glove. As we are not going to be as high a scoring team as in previous seasons, more discipline in this area resulting in fewer power plays against should help us offset some of the loss in scoring by not giving as many high-percentage scoring opportunities away through penalty killing.

Honestly, I was a little excited about Daigdenault being in camp as a free agent invitee. This guy was once a top prospect of the Capitals, but fell out of favor there and is here obviously trying to win a spot in Milwaukee for this season. Let me say...if that is the case, he better start actually working in the drills. Made a couple of nice saves, was effective at using the his stick in close situations to help move the puck out of dangerous spots, and didn't allow any goals during his time in net during the scrimmage, but he doesn't have a contract and I'd really be surprised if he'd earn one not giving 100% effort during practice.

A lot of confusion/congestion in the neutral zone and several errant passes during regroups, but as Handtrick mentioned...there shouldn't have been as many problems with D to D passes without any pressure as there was today (the most noticable being two missed D to D passes on the first shift of the scrimmage). These things will come with time as the talent starts to rise above the rest and as players become more familiar with each other. Kinda surprised actually that I didn't hear a lot of talking on the ice during the scrimmage. Most noticably, I didn't hear Zanon "talking" with his partner as many in the upper bowl at the Sommet Center are familiar with him guiding his partners during games.

During the second half, Arnott tripped near center ice and sort of winced in pain while getting up. By falling behind the play he got a partial breakaway, but tripped again later in the shift and went off immediately. I think he missed a few shifts (although I could be wrong) and he either had a skate repair performed or an injury (minor muscle pull/cramp) attended to. Jason did return, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him held out of the game tomorrow if he was indeed injured in any manor.

Pihlstrom has really caught my eye as someone to really keep an eye out for this season. He impressed me initally yesterday in drills, but today he really showed hockey smarts (positioning, playing away from the puck, supporting his teammates, etc) to go along with his pair of goals (both of which were a direct result of him playing smart away from the puck and finding open space on the initial goal and driving the net on a shot from the point on the second goal), and he has also demonstrated his willingness to throw the body and take hits to make a play. Honestly, Tootoo better step up and make an impression because I have a feeling that Pihlstrom is gunning for his roster spot in this training camp and so far I believe he would be a much more effective and useful player. Think Ville Nieminen.

Rinne and Ellis are clearly fighting for the backup job here in Nashville and so far I see Ellis with an edge. Additionally, I have a feeling that waiver status will play a major role in the final decision should the players finish training camp with arguably equal performances. Ellis must clear waivers in order to be sent down, Rinne does not. I truly believe that unless Rinne totally outplays Ellis in camp and demonstrates that he truly has nothing else left to learn in the AHL by playing everyday...that Rinne will be the starter in Milwaukee to start this season and Ellis will sit behind Mason in Nashville. Ellis additionally brings something to the table that P303 has been mentioning a lot in the past couple of seasons...he is very efficent at playing the puck, which is not a strength of either Vokoun or Mason and is an attribute that will greatly help our defensemen out by alleviating the need for them to always get back to the puck to move it or risk an errant pass by either Vokoun (previously) or Mason. I think we can thank Marty Turco for Ellis's puck-handling skills.

Definitely looking forward to seeing Pihlstrom and Hornqvist in actual preseason games as I think that both could legitimately crack the roster to start the season with a good showing.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Additionally, just wanted to add that Franson will definitely start the season in Milwaukee and clearly needs some time to adjust to the speed of professional hockey, but the one thing that I truly noticed about his play from Team Canada in the WJC last season that shined through today was his shot selection.

Sure the slap shot is the sexy shot in hockey, but it is also the most overused and inaccurate shot in the sport as well. Additionally, unless timed right, many slap shots are blocked because the time taken to wind up allows the defender to close the gap between himself and the puck and move into position to block the shooting lane.

During last year's WJC, Franson had two power-play points in the game against the US (I think a goal and an assist, but could have been two assists) by exhibiting his patience with the puck and proper shot selection. In both instances the puck was moved to Franson at the point and instead of burying his head and booming a slap shot into traffic praying it would get to the net...Franson instead remained poised under pressure walked the line and snapped off a hard shot (snap shot) through the traffic as soon as he saw an opening. Both shots found their way to the net through traffic without the goalie ever having a shot at seeing the puck and both resulting in rebounds that were put home by his teammates crashing hard to the front of the net.

Today, Franson exhibited the same poise with the puck on his goal. He recognized the traffic in front of Rinne (provided by Legwand and Hornqvist) and snapped off a shot through traffic that beat a screened Rinne cleanly high over the shoulder. This was a shot designed to score a goal, it was not a tip opportunity, but regardless of whether or not it got past Rinne on the initial effort, the shot was perfectly placed and had it hit Rinne in the shoulder it surely would have created a rebound for a prime scoring opportunity for Legwand and Hornqvist standing in front.

Good shot selection is not just for defensemen, it is for forwards too. Take Radulov as the prime example. Think back to his first NHL goal against San Jose (Toskala) last season. Radulov's favorite shot is a wicked snap/wrist shot 12 inches off the ice to the far post when he is coming down the wing and almost always it is released around a defenseman providing an inadvertant screen. This is not a coincidence...it is a combination of skill and discipline. As great stickhandler as Alex is, he does not try to stickhandle through the final player back to try to get a breakaway on the goalie when he sees the opportunity to shoot the puck. He knows that by snapping off that shot and using the last man back as a screen, he gets an extra advantage on the goalie and creates a prime scoring chance. Additionally, when you snap off that shot around the defenseman, in the new obstruction-free NHL, you can use your speed coming down the wing to beat the defenseman to the front of the net for a rebound...remember...always follow your shot!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Jarnberg

I was there today too. braindead, I may have been standing right next to you during the second scrimmage from what you said above about the errant puck. The one that hit off the roof?

First of all, it was great to see hockey again! It really got me excited and I can't wait for the season to start. For such a roller coaster summer, today I just focused on watching some hockey. During the season, I'll probably be going to games and worrying about attendance (what a shame), but today it was refreshing to just see some hockey and not have to hear any of the words Balsillie, Hamilton, Boots, KC, local group, lease, etc.

Anyway, it was good overall today. I think our defense (or lack of offense..) stood out the most. And its more likely to be so due to the offense being rusty with the plays and new faces on the lines. It does look like we will not have the same offense as last year (yes I know we lost alot of players) and we're going to have to grind out more wins. I think our problem will be the same as we've always had, scoring the big time goals when they're needed. Those thoughts are based more so on the roster and not solely because of the practice and scrimmages today.

I tried not to watch the usual suspects, but its inevitable. Dumont and Legwand looked great, especially Dumont. Radulov looks bigger and seems to have improved his skating. Didn't see alot out of Erat as he looked a bit rusty. He was able to steal the puck away a few times today and was really feisty. He was solid on the puck as well. Guys like Smithson, Nichol, and Fiddler all stood out a tad bit (in a good way today), mostly because of experience and being within the system. They were able to read a few passes better then the younger guys (which is to be expected). I didn't see alot of our new captain, as I watched the blue group mostly except for the scrimmages and Arnott looked like he had a skate problem and didn't play alot in the scrimmages. Not much out of Tootoo and Hordichuk, which is probably a good thing. We all remember Goehring getting leveled in last year's camp by Tootoo, although I'm not sure Goehring does. Again, the group of returning forwards looked a bit rusty, but its to be expected. Radulov and Dumont were the real standouts, with Dumont looking the strongest.

For the returning defensemen, I thought everyone except Zidlicky looked good. Zidlicky got caught possessing the puck too much and didn't display too much offense. And I'm not just saying this because he's the new official team whipping boy. I thought the 3 youngsters (Hamhuis, Suter, and Weber) looked great. Weber is an absolute beast out there. He was brimming with confidence and simply looked better then everyone else. The road is paved for him having a monster season. Oh, and he looked even bigger. Zanon was very solid today too.

Mason seemed solid as well, which is to be expected this early on.

For the new guys:

Ortmeyer - came as advertised. Little offensive ability, pretty sound defensively. Worked hard.
Gelinas - strong on the puck, wasn't afraid to go in the corners to battle for the puck.
Bonk - didn't see much from Bonk really.
de Vries - Had a hard time getting a few pucks out the zone a few times but other then that looked ok.

And for the plethora of youngsters, it was hard to watch them all.

Hornqvist looks very solid. Wasn't quite on the same page as Legwand and Erat, but showed some offensive weapons. He has a very good wrist shot. He doesn't have the speed that some of the other forwards have.

Pihlstrom looked pretty good. He laid a few good hits, especially a really good one on Shane Willis. He was able to bury a few goals from standing in front of the net. He was a bit stronger on the puck then the other youngsters.

Setzinger was ok; he had a few good passes in the first scrimmage and was ok defensively.

Michael Santorelli looked pretty good. He displayed some really good puck handling, especially a sequence in the first scrimmage behind the goal.

I really liked what I saw from Nick Spaling. He was solid on the puck, displayed great hockey sense and easily played better then alot of the other youngsters. He was very solid for a guy who was just drafted. Very good day for Spaling in my opinion.

I also liked what I saw from Thuresson. He was strong on the puck and was good defensively. He also wasn't afraid to go to the net.

Franson was huge! Proved to be a weapon on the blue line. Not the fastest player and got beat a little bit. His offensive skills make him very dangerous.

Blum looked nervous and shaky. During the second scrimmage, he looked better as he focused more and played more calm.

Koistinen was invisible. Maybe I was watching other players closely, but I didn't see anything from him.

Klein looked very solid; he looked alot better then in previous years.

Stehlik looked pretty bad. He had size, but thats it. Same as Yonkman really.

Henry was the best out of the towering defensemen, but that isn't saying much really.

I liked what I saw from Sulzer. He was able to move the puck well and seemed comfortable out there.

Jeremy Smith looks like he has the tools to become a great prospect.

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts and lack of depth on alot of the players. Way too many players to watch out there and I'm writing this a long time after the scrimmages ended.

I also walked down to the arena and picked up a new uniform as a gift for someone. They look alot better in person then what we've seen thus far on the internet.

Old
09-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Thanks for the input Slake. If you get a chance, keep giving us reports on the Euros (Setzinger, Hornqvist, Pihlstrom, and Thuresson especially).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Jarnberg

Good input all around, thanks for the posts everyone. Its much better actually talking about hockey rather then out clauses and lease agreements.

Old
09-15-2007, 07:03 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
watching this team, you get the idea this is not a team for the masses... not enough names, not enough glitz, not enough scoring for the casual fan to bite into this group early.. this is a team the true hockey fan could learn to love though, a gritty bunch of hustling players, with few bigs names, that are going to have to win many games based on hustle, effort and a refusal to lose..underdogs can make great stories
I got there a little late this morning and saw some of the scrimmage in the front rink. There was a different feel today from previous camps, and I think it was positive.

The main feeling I came away with mirrors the above quote. I think that if this team can stay relatively healthy and win and be in the playoff race, this is the type of team that can capture the imagination of the city as a lovable underdog. This might be the type of team that Trotz is made for...it might not make for an attractive on-ice product, but it might be more effective than the constant attempts at highlight reel goals we saw drag us down at times the past couple of seasons.

Bottom line is that it was refreshing to see hockey after this crappy summer.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote