HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Tape Jobs?

Old
09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
tisting9

vCash: 500
Best Tape Jobs?

What are the best tape jobs? Black, white, toe, heel, what do the pros use?

tisting9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Whatever you want. Use whatever you perform the best with.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 03:01 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

look at a pro's stick. that should tell you what they use

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
ShowmeHawks

White on the blade, a little ring of black where the blade and shaft come together and a black nob only at the tip top of the shaft. Always that way, since I am extremely superstitious.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I only do one layer of tape and I'm very supersticious, there has to be maybe 1mm of over lapping on the tape and if any of the stick is showing I throw that tape away and start again. And always heel to toe.

I remember in hs hockey 3 kids had this one kid tape their sticks and those 3 kids all scored goals so everybody made that kid tape their stick for the rest of the season.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 04:41 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Taping your stick is a very individualized thing, there's no 'best' way to tape it, just whatever you can work best with.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:58 PM
MikeD

the overlap of the tape should be so that you get little resistance when advancing the stick. wrapping from toe to heel leaves an exposed edge that can roll or cause drag when you extend the stick, causing control issues. It is also a good practice to wrap so that the tape advances UP the face of the blade, over the top to the back. Pulling the tape to the backside bottom and cutting there will eliminate the occasional Dangler should hte tape loose grip at the end of your wrap job.

Black tape will hide the puck and shot release. As a goalie with 44 plus years of play, white tape on a players stick makes my job MUCH easier. I can see the puck more clearly and also see how/where the puck comes off the stick. It is particularly helpful on reading backhand shots. Those that use white or other non-traditional colors, add stripes etc etc....keep doing it. You make my job much easier.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 06:02 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Just as Mike said the color helps hide the puck but it is really what you prefer. i use to like a big knob on the top of my stick but went with just a wrap like several times and it is way more comfortable.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 02:08 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

As a goalie, I can tell you that the whole black tape thing doesn't do a thing for masking the puck. But hey, if you "feel" it does -- go for it.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There are a few things to keep in mind about tape:

1. Shooting the puck requires the puck to spin in addition to being shot towards the target. Faster spin means the puck stays level, giving more speed and accuracy to the shot. Besides the friction of the tape itself, overlapping tape makes little ridges which can catch the puck and help it spin. Wider tape will make fewer ridges than narrower tape.

2. It prolongs the life of the blade, especially on the bottom where the blade may wear from dragging on the ice or ground. Some players will add an extra strip of tape along the bottom before their normal tape job to prevent excess wear.

3. It changes the feel of the puck. With a lively composite blade, lots of tape can help keep the puck from bouncing, making it easier to catch passes. But too much on a dead wood blade can make it difficult to tell where the puck is while stickhandling. Some players tape just the toe or heel or middle so they feel where the puck is.

4. Excessive tape can weigh the blade down, which can help with blade light sticks but hurt blade heavy. Also, and it may be a minor consideration, do you want to spend a lot of time and tape with a big tape job?

5. Black versus white: most goalies say it doesn't matter, some say it does. I think what's more important is what you look down and see. When stickhandling, you see the puck out of the corner of your eye (if your head is up where it should be). It's completely personal preference, but black tape will show where the blade is while white tape hides the blade and shows where the puck is easier.

I personally use wide white tape from about mid-heel over the toe and cut off the excess tape from the toe with scissors. I find I get enough spin with the wide tape and the little ridges and it makes it faster and easier to retape. I also prefer white to hide the blade so I can see the puck from the corner of my eye. And taping over the toe gives me a bit more friction for toe drags.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
For me, the tape is used for two things:

1) To protect the bottom of the blade from getting worn out and start spliting

2) To create contrast between the color of the blade and the color of the tape. I use the tape to show my teammates where I want the puck on my stick when they make a pass to me. I feel if you have a dark colored stick, you should use white tape on your blade to make it easier for the players to see where you want the puck. If you have light colored stick you use black tape.

Also, as mentioned in previous messages, you shouldn't "over-tape" your stick as it gives you less feel for the puck.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
McNasty

I cut the roll in half to make it narrow one so that the Knob is thin and two so that as Jarick said you get more ridges on the blade creating more spin when you shoot. The frayed edges don't make the tape last as long on the blade but oh well its only 2.50 a roll.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 07:57 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
No one has mentioned wax I don't think.....wax helps a lot in helping your tape job last a bit longer.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Patrick Bateman

I put a strip of tape on the bottom of the blade, and another short strip to cover the toe. Then I wrap the entire blade from heel to toe, and trim the excess tape from the toe. I rub tons of Mr. Zogs Sex Wax on both sides of the blade, then melting the wax with a blowdryer. After the inital layer of wax cools, I rub on another layer of wax for good measure. I found using this technique, a tape job will last me about 5-8 ice times, and virtually eliminate any snow build-up.

And I almost forgot to add... I ALWAYS use black tape. From my experience, white tape rips easier from receiving hard passes and taking slapshots, also looks gross as hell after a couple ice times. Black tape is "silkier", rips less, and supposedly makes it harder for goalies to see the puck. I also find it easier to apply wax on black tape as you can tell where you need to apply more wax.

Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I use the Dany Heatley way. White tape in the middle of the the blade.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Raoul Duke*

All personal preference.
For example, I never liked the feel of tape and the roughness on it at the knob. But playing without a knob up top is even more uncomfortable - So I developed a habit early to make the one at the top out of electrical tape.

Another guy I played with would never tape his blade at all - he needed to feel the puck as hard as it could hit his stick. Over the years he used less and less, looking like a Bobby Orr stick with a single strand for a while, then just went with it bald. Worked for him.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Quagmier

Agree with everybody that its definitely a personal thing...

for myself, I recently switched up to taping the blade from just in front of the heel all the way to the toe (including taping around the toe)

I have noticed a difference in the feel (I use composite so the more tape the more cushion) and when i look at my blade...it just feels right. and its definitely helped my game

Also, ive noticed that alot of the purely skill NHLers (mostly danglers) like the Sedins and Alex Hemsky do this...and i really think it makes a difference with stickhandling, especially with composites

anyways, moral of the story is that you should think about your game and what would work for it in terms of taping then tinker with it till you have a routine that is 1) easy to do, 2) Consistent and 3) Comfortable

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Phoenix

How much overlap do you guys use on your blade? I overlap by about 1/3 to 1/2, since I like to think this will last me longer. That ridges thing is interesting though - I never thought of that.
I use black tape on the blade, and put a strip along the bottom first as it always wears out sooner than I like. Sometimes, if I'm trying to prolong the life of my tape, when the bottom gets worn/too sticky, I'll simply stick a strip along the bottom after the normal wrap. Can be a pain if it starts fraying, but its only occasional, and it usually lasts me through 1 game.

White knob for the top - how often do yas change this? I'm finding the edges of the tape are being sticky on me, making it difficult to move my glove easily after holding it there for awhile. And its usually just after taping ie. fresh glue I'm having to wear in and smooth down the stickiness.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 08:34 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
put baby powder on the knob, it will help take down the stickiness.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
tisting9

Tape in Game Today

Today I have a game. What tape job should I use, and I mean on the blade. I am an offensive goal scorer with very good hands, so which style would fit me best?

tisting9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisting9 View Post
Today I have a game. What tape job should I use, and I mean on the blade. I am an offensive goal scorer with very good hands, so which style would fit me best?
The blade should be black tape. The puck blends in well with the black tape obviously and will give the goalie some trouble. You should try it out.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Ducks

I use black sticky tape on my blade. First I tape the bottom of the stick length wise from the heel up the toe and back about an inch. Then I tape the blade from heal to toe so the overlapping ridges grip the puck. After I smooth out the tape I use stick wax all over the front, back and bottom and melt it in with either a heat gun or a lighter then smooth the wax out all over the blade using my finger so it gets a nice even coat.

For the handle I use white tape, with a small knob at the end and tape down about 6 inches or so. After I'm done with the handle I use whatever type of white powder I have, (Baby powder sometimes I've used gold bond and it works fine) to coat the handle so it isn't sticky.

another thing I do to avoid lumps in the tape is every time it looks like it will lump I make a small slit in the tape with scissors and smooth it out.

It's normal for me to spend 20 minutes taping a stick sometimes, but my tape jobs last a really long time and it feels good to me.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Black is the traditional color, use it. A lot of people use white these days, I guess that's ok too.

In terms of heal or toe, I hear it makes a difference, but I've also heard that if you tape the stick properly it shouldn't make any at all.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Black is the traditional color, use it. A lot of people use white these days, I guess that's ok too.

In terms of heal or toe, I hear it makes a difference, but I've also heard that if you tape the stick properly it shouldn't make any at all.
it makes a pretty noticable difference to me. I've tried wrapping both ways and wrapping heel-to-toe puts a lot more spin on the puck.

That being said, when people talk about wrapping heel to toe, you don't necessarily have to start at the heel, I've seen a lot of players start wrapping around the middle of the blade through to the toe.

In the end it's all preference.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Phoenix

Quote:
put baby powder on the knob, it will help take down the stickiness.
Have tried it and what an excellent idea! Now if only i had thought of this earlier.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote