Notices

2005-2006 Wild Defensive System Question

Old
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
2005-2006 Wild Defensive System Question

Hey folks, just wanted to ask a question that really only devout Minnesota fans can answer.

It has been widely accepted that Manny Fernandez was a product of the Wilds defensive system, and that he may flounder in Boston as good defense is the last thing we have had the past two seasons.

During conversations on the topic, it has been pointed out that Minnesota's defensive stats in 05-06 were somewhat suspect, and that this just so happened to be the year Roloson's statistics also decreased. I have pointed out that high shot totals don't neccessarily equate to bad defense, but really didn't see enough of a sample of Wild games to make an educated guess. From the games I had seen, Minnesota has never seemed inadequate in their own end.

A fans POV, for those who watched the team that season, is likely the most accurate source of information a person can get. So therefore I ask the experts, how bad was Minnesota's defense on a whole in 2005-2006?

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 03:20 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Minnesota's defense was a bit suspect in 05-06. I mean Kuba was our top defenseman and that's kind of sad.

But I'm tired of idiots on this board completely ignoring the Wild and simply parroting the word Lemaire as the answer to why the Wild play so well and why the goalies have such great numbers.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 09:15 AM
The Big E

Hats can say what he wants (and he always does), but during the Manny-Rollie goaltending tandem one of them was hot while the other was cold. It seemed to alternate years for whatever reason. 05/06 was the year that Rollie was not getting the bounce of the puck if I recall correctly.

I'm not exactly sure why Hats insists on being so contrariwise and claim that it has nothing to do with Lemaire's coaching as our defense had some weak links like Alex Henry, Daniel Tjarnqvist and Andrei Zyusin as Hat's even points out himself. Our D was led by Willie Mitchell and Filip Kuba. Brent Burns was a winger that year.

The fact is that when the Wild were on their game, they played rope-a-dope defense. They'd allow plenty of shots, but the shots were from the outside. What killed us was our Nov-Jan slump. You can only rope-a-dope effectively when you're confident which we lost entirely during the slump.

So ... it seems to me that the essence of your question is will Manny fail in Boston where they seem incapable of playing team defense, right? No he won't. He'll like keep Boston in many games they don't deserve to be in. In 05/06 he and Brian Rolston held the team together. Last season during our Nov-Jan slump, he did it again until he succumbed to a knee injury.

So as a Sens fan (which I gather from your logo?), the Bs won't be quite the pushovers they were previously. They'll have a goalie they can rely on. It all depends upon if they're willing to commit to playing solid defensively.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Manny will surprise the B's fans - he's a damn good goalie. He was one of the reasons the Wild got off to such a good start as a franchise, when their defensemen were guys like Ladislav Benysek, Jason Marshall, and Brad Brown. He'll save 91% or more of the shots against him year in year out, which gives teams a chance to win.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 12:12 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

05-06 was just a bad year for Roloson- he got a lot of really bad breaks, but it was Fernandez who got the raw deal the year before with the bad breaks, etc.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
So as a Sens fan (which I gather from your logo?), the Bs won't be quite the pushovers they were previously. They'll have a goalie they can rely on. It all depends upon if they're willing to commit to playing solid defensively.
Thanks guys for the great info.

Actually a Bruins fan making fun of the Sens logo (evil little fella that I am).

Basically, the jist of my arguement is, the Bruins last year had absolutely no defense. I watched every game minus 5 or so, and realisitically, I don't think a single goalie would have been able to help. We have a serious lack of a #2 defenseman, a for St Louis Dman who wouldn't know his own end if they painted his name onto it, a #2 dman who was effectively neutered by a feel good coach, blah blah blah other stuff that you don't want to hear.

Honestly, there were cases of blown coverage in front of our own net 2 or 3 times each period minimum, the dump and change system created zero sustained offenisve pressure, and we were outchanced by a wide margin each game.

Hope Manny really is that good, because he will need to be. You guys sound fairly high on his skill though, so that has me somewhat eager to see what he can do. Thanks again folks.

Ps. You're really gonna like Kalus.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Wild Thing

Manny's a terrific goalie, but I have to warn you guys - he's a bit of a headcase as well. He really lets his emotions get to him way too much, and when he gets into a funk (which happens a couple of times each season), his confidence goes out the window and his play suffers badly. You fans are going to find this frustrating as hell, and your defensemen are going to be even more frustrated by his habit of blaming goals on his teammates. One thing I'd be concerned about if I were a Bruins' fan is that if that defense plays as sloppily this season as they did last season, there'll be a lot of tension and maybe even outright friction between Manny and his defensemen. Even as solidly as our D played in front of him, Manny really aggravated a lot of his teammates here in St. Paul, and quite frankly by the time he left not a lot of Wild players were sad to see him go. There were a lot of strained relationships in that locker room, and my gut feeling is that if there's one thing you guys are going to wind up not liking about Manny, it's going to be that.

But like I said, he's a hell of a goalie, and a damned decent guy, too, if you ask me. Just not exactly a tower of emotional strength. Good luck with him, and thank you again for Kalus. I agree; I think we're going to like him a lot. He sounds like exactly the kind of player we really need more of here.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 01:38 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post

I'm not exactly sure why Hats insists on being so contrariwise and claim that it has nothing to do with Lemaire's coaching as our defense had some weak links like Alex Henry, Daniel Tjarnqvist and Andrei Zyusin as Hat's even points out himself. Our D was led by Willie Mitchell and Filip Kuba. Brent Burns was a winger that year.
Oh no, I do agree that Lemaire helped but wasn't the only reason why our goaltenders are good. Mason is so underappreciated. I think that's why Backstrom is turning out so well. I mean look at that line up on DEFENSE. They would have nights off and our goalies would have to save games for us. They played lights out and yet still lost.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Manny's a terrific goalie, but I have to warn you guys - he's a bit of a headcase as well. He really lets his emotions get to him way too much, and when he gets into a funk (which happens a couple of times each season), his confidence goes out the window and his play suffers badly. You fans are going to find this frustrating as hell, and your defensemen are going to be even more frustrated by his habit of blaming goals on his teammates. One thing I'd be concerned about if I were a Bruins' fan is that if that defense plays as sloppily this season as they did last season, there'll be a lot of tension and maybe even outright friction between Manny and his defensemen. Even as solidly as our D played in front of him, Manny really aggravated a lot of his teammates here in St. Paul, and quite frankly by the time he left not a lot of Wild players were sad to see him go. There were a lot of strained relationships in that locker room, and my gut feeling is that if there's one thing you guys are going to wind up not liking about Manny, it's going to be that.

But like I said, he's a hell of a goalie, and a damned decent guy, too, if you ask me. Just not exactly a tower of emotional strength. Good luck with him, and thank you again for Kalus. I agree; I think we're going to like him a lot. He sounds like exactly the kind of player we really need more of here.
I think he has stablized a LOT since becoming a father - he handled his "demotion" last season with a lot of class I thought. I know he was quoted as well saying how having kids changes your perspective on life, or something like that. In other words, Manny is no longer the petulant brat he might have once been. Age and life have had a maturing effect on him.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
Oh no, I do agree that Lemaire helped but wasn't the only reason why our goaltenders are good. Mason is so underappreciated. I think that's why Backstrom is turning out so well. I mean look at that line up on DEFENSE. They would have nights off and our goalies would have to save games for us. They played lights out and yet still lost.
Ahhhh ... yes. Now I get what yer sayin'. My bro, a goalie, talks a lot about what Mason has our goalies doing. The entire coaching staff is great. Who wouldn't learn a thing or two from Mike Ramsey as well.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote